• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

6-67

I imagine people will use that as a stick to beat Cook with and say he should have shown faith in him earlier, which isn't entirely wrong.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair moeen was clearly still pretty raw when he came in. Improved quite a lot, though he still needs to eliminate that release ball he bowls nearly once every over.

Definitely still underused him a lot though. But I guess now he has the trust.

Missed this mornings session as I was out >.< Bad one to miss.

Very pleased we've won and very happy for Moeen Ali. India wilted very easily, strange considering they won the previous test and you'd have thought they would have been well up for it

Both Anderson and jadeja found not guilty it seems. What a farcical situation that could have easily been sorted out between the two teams.

Antiwhippy

I'd agree in a sense, but the constant mentions that there is a camera that for some reason "didn't work" just muddies the water a lot and makes it seems like it's either the BCCI or ECB tampering with evidence.

Hopefully this would remind anderson to tone down his dickishness, but that probably won't happen.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I very much expect that what Anderson is supposed to have done is basically what happened. His onfield behaviour is appalling and Dhini doesn't seem the kind to push this kind of thing unduly.

kmag

I'd agree in a sense, but the constant mentions that there is a camera that for some reason "didn't work" just muddies the water a lot and makes it seems like it's either the BCCI or ECB tampering with evidence.

Hopefully this would remind anderson to tone down his dickishness, but that probably won't happen.

For anti corruption/betting reasons the players areas are meant to monitored by camera. There was a camera presumably for this purpose but it conveniently wasn't turned on.

So I'd doubt India would have made the accusation unless they thought they were right assuming that there is a camera and they had no way of knowing it wasn't recording. It's pretty obvious something happened and given that Anderson admitted pushing Jadeja I'm really not sure why it comes down to a his word against mine. He still pushed him.

I doubt India will ever play England in another 5 test series. They'll give them the minimum two from now on, while that doesn't hurt England as much as other countries, the Indians are less bothered about test cricket than England and that'll hurt the test game going forward.

Dynedom

It's almost like a really twisted piece of irony that when India finally wants technology to get them a decision they want, it's not there.

:D

kmag

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/766457.html

I have no idea how anderson was let off with this in light.

Jesus at least keep your dickishness on the field. (or just don't be a dick)

Simple, while the BCCI fund the ICC, more of the ECB's cronies are actually in positions of power. This could actually cause a major ruction. India are mightily pissed off and given they weren't to know the camera was turned off when they made the complaint and what Anderson admitted to their version is far more likely.

From my reading of the charge, what Anderson has admitted to is more than enough to do him. I'm not really sure what Jadeja turning around threateningly has to do with it.

Antiwhippy

How is steve finn? Last I heard his technique has deteriorated to the point that he's shooting it all over the place.

How is steve finn? Last I heard his technique has deteriorated to the point that he's shooting it all over the place.

I watched a T20 Blast match the other day and they were saying he was bowling really well and back to what he was like before he had all of his problems.

I'll be honest, I did think it was a bit soon considering how bad things got before but I guess it depends if we have anyone else to choose from.

If someone misses out then I suspect Stokes would come back in instead of Finn because whilst his batting was dreadful he was actually bowling really well.

kmag

Got 44 wickets in First Class Cricket this season at 29.72 with an economy of 3.71 which is almost the same as Plunkett (44 at 29.15 with an economy of 3.44)

Shouldn't be a bad time to reintroduce him, Old Trafford is a pretty good pitch for bowlers and frankly India look shot.

India in the meantime will probably be without Kumar and Ishant Sharma, so there's plenty of opportunity for England to win.

Antiwhippy

Should be good to see him back in action then.

It would be interesting to see how India goes about with their selection. I still think pankaj Singh looks like a really good bowler, but they can't play another test with only 4 bowlers. India just does not have the bowling strength. Just the fact that had to resort to using rohit sharma to bowl shows that they need more bowling depth.

Would love to see if ashwin can improve his overseas record.

Jezbollah

I saw him play a T20 a few days ago. His mechanics/technique is much better - more solid than I have seen in a long time - perhaps ever with him. I still think he needs to gain some form though, but I wouldn't complain if he was called up.

kmag

Is Gurney not test material?

He's decent but I feel to really make a claim as a test bowler (which he is, he doesn't offer any batting unlike Stokes, Jordan, Woakes or Plunkett) then you need to get your FC average below 30, his is 32.73. While his stats have been better this year (33 at 25.69) there are simply players who offer a bit more.

Dynedom

He's decent but I feel to really make a claim as a test bowler (which he is, he doesn't offer any batting unlike Stokes, Jordan, Woakes or Plunkett) then you need to get your FC average below 30, his is 32.73. While his stats have been better this year (33 at 25.69) there are simply players who offer a bit more.

I guess my next question would be is he a better bat than Finn?

Antiwhippy

Actually that does beg the question: why are there virtually zero english left arm seamers in test contention?

I feel like australia is bursting with them at the moment with mitchell johnson, mitchell starc, james faulkner and maybe doug bollinger.

Antiwhippy

Younis and misbah saving the Pakistan batting line up again.

I do wonder how Pakistan will fare once those two retire. Same thing with Sri Lanka with Jayawardena and sangakkara, but at least they have Mathews as an emerging great.

This is going to be a short test match at this rate. Great start from us. I was thinking a few early wickets and India would probably fall quickly... well thats 2 down.

Edit: Fucking hell

kmag

This is going to be a short test match at this rate. Great start from us. I was thinking a few early wickets and India would probably fall quickly... well thats 2 down.

Edit: Fucking hell

It'll need to be, there's almost no chance of serious play the last two days. There's a serious rain warning for Sunday and Monday.

kmag

India are absolutely mindnumblingly hopeless. Will they get to 20?

Congrats to Jimmy Anderson, the best swing bowler in the world (tm English media) has finally gotten his test average beneath 30 in his 98th match.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Congrats to Jimmy Anderson, the best swing bowler in the world (tm English media) has finally gotten his test average beneath 30 in his 98th match.

Everyone knows Steyn is better, he's just not generally classified as a swing bowler, despite being excellent at it.

Nearly gone first ball loooooooool

Almost but he has now outdone my prediction.

27 is my prediction. Three wickets to Anderson this coming over.

He is the best swing bowler at the moment. Unplayable when conditions suit.

Too bad Amir was banned, had the potential to be the best swing bowler in the world.

Like, it's not like swing bowling is absolutely unplayable.

When him and Broad get their tail up, look out.

kmag

Everyone knows Steyn is better, he's just not generally classified as a swing bowler, despite being excellent at it.

Really? I remember when England were number 1 and it was all Jimmy this and Jimmy that. Hell in the run up to South Africa destroying England, it was somehow described as a contest between the two for the title of best bowler in the world.

I love Steyn, I love all fast bowlers, but the recent allegations of ball tampering hurt him (and Sth Africa) reputation for me.

Its the third time that bowling attack has been accused and investigated for ball tampering. Where there is smoke...

kmag

I love Steyn, I love all fast bowlers, but the recent allegations of ball tampering hurt him (and Sth Africa) reputation for me.

Its the third time that bowling attack has been accused and investigated for ball tampering. Where there is smoke...

Funny enough if you were to ask me which side in the world regularly get reverse swing out of nowhere on a regular basis it wouldn't really be South Africa, it would be England who somehow manage to get it regardless of pitch and outfield condition.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Really? I remember when England were number 1 and it was all Jimmy this and Jimmy that. Hell in the run up to South Africa destroying England, it was somehow described as a contest between the two.

Jimmy is really good. His stats are deflated by his crappy pre2010 stats and being over bowled. He's a class below Steyn, yes, but they are the two leading bowlers of their sides. It is easy to see why it was hyped that way. Jimmy lacks the pace to really match Steyn and is a little one dimensional when there is no swing.

Eh England do it too. The only ones I don't believe do it are probably India, maybe Sri Lanka.

Top Bottom