• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Vaddon

On the bright side, Moeen's innings was nice to watch.

But seriously, India absolutely crushed England. I think Cook is fine as the test captain but he looks completely lost in the ODI side, as do a number of the other players. Enough is enough already though, it's embarrassing and frustrating to stubbornly stick with the same plans again and again. Hoping for some sort of change but I'm not too optimistic.

kmag

Seriously, was the pitch a minefield in the 1st innings and then flattened into an absolute belter in the 2nd? The discrepancy between the two innings is incredible.

A bit of swing early on did for the top 3 (well Hales got a cracker, Cook and Ballance gave it away) other than that it was flat and didn't turn at all. Morgan and Root got out to ridiculous shots after steadying the ship, Buttler got a shocking LBW decision and Ali looked brilliant albeit against the Indian spinners on a deck which offered them nothing. India's seamers did the damage, but the pitch was flat.

Hard to judge the English bowling, except to say I don't think Ali has the same economical knack as Tredwell. Every English bowler got tonked but after a couple of overs India were under no pressure.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Still, even if it didn't offer spin the english batters barring moeen seem unable to break loose at all. Really does seem like a problem for england now, though I could say the same for australia.

Really though, I think having a quality mainline spinner or 2 is super important in LOI cricket nowadays. Same for tests too, though SA and england seems to make do with part-timers for their spin, with respect to duminy and moeen.

Decent win today, if not too late. Probably avoided a a 4-1 defeat though with the first one being washed out.

I still back Cook as captain. We've been through this with the test captaincy and he proved himself This isn't football where the captain is one of several leaders in the dressing room cricket uses it very differently. Get off his back and support the team and we'll see after the world cup when a new cycle for ODIs begins before the next one. He was our third highest runs scorer in our team today, batted quite quickly and we got a decent total and we were able to win.

If the world cup is poor then perhaps he should reconsider but lets not forget that English cricket has been focused much more on test cricket and we rest players (certainly last year) in ODIs and they aren't playing the full strength team.

Also, Cook doesn't play in the T20 side and we were still shit in that so it can't be all him.

Problem for me is picking too many of the test team, need James Taylor and Ravi Bopara in, perhaps Jason Roy too (from what I've seen in the one day tournaments)

Vaddon

I was at Headingley to see the ODI today, it's actually the first time I've been to a cricket match in person. So yeah, I was very lucky to have chosen the ODI where England performed well and won. It was fantastic though, the atmosphere was electric during the Buttler/Root partnership and when Root gained his century, the Yorkshire crowd erupted. It was nice to see Cook perform well and Jadeja's innings was great. I even got to see a relatively big beer snake before it collapsed and the participants started throwing the plastic cups everywhere. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos but hopefully I'll remember to do so whenever I go to another match. Nonetheless, it was amazing.

Jezbollah

I was at Headingley to see the ODI today, it's actually the first time I've been to a cricket match in person. So yeah, I was very lucky to have chosen the ODI where England performed well and won. It was fantastic though, the atmosphere was electric during the Buttler/Root partnership and when Root gained his century, the Yorkshire crowd erupted. It was nice to see Cook perform well and Jadeja's innings was great. I even got to see a relatively big beer snake before it collapsed and the participants started throwing the plastic cups everywhere. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos but hopefully I'll remember to do so whenever I go to another match. Nonetheless, it was amazing.

Cant beat going to cricket in person. Especially if you're not driving and you can have a few drinks.

Antiwhippy

I've always wondered about people talking about cook's strike rate. Is 77 not good enough anymore? It's not like he's a finisher at 6. He's an opening batsmen meant to blunt the opening attack.

Even Michael Clarke has a SR of 78, though he has a much better average.

Royal London One day Cup Semi-Final between Durham and Nottinghamshire (new county One day tournament using ODI rules).

Durham just posted 353 in 50 overs at 7.08 an over, Stokes got 160~ in a fantastic knock.

I would not want to be chasing that down...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've always wondered about people talking about cook's strike rate. Is 77 not good enough anymore? It's not like he's a finisher at 6. He's an opening batsmen meant to blunt the opening attack.

Even Michael Clarke has a SR of 78, though he has a much better average.

Bell as an opener has an excellent strike rate yet they moved him out of there... The problem with Cook is that he doesn't really go on. Bell and Hales would be a great opening partnership.

Vaddon

Morgan's innings was incredibly good, 71 from 31. England looked shaky and now they're in a stronger position thanks to him.

Edit: That T20I was incredible, really tense at the end. A good end to the Indian tour for England. The wait will feel long until November now.

LAHORE, Pakistan (AP) - Suspended Pakistan offspinner Saeed Ajmal had an average elbow extension of more than twice the allowable limit during testing of his bowling action in Australia last month.

Ajmal recorded an astonishing 40 degrees with a relatively small standard deviation of 2.5 degrees at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane, according to a 23-page report by the NCC on the tests last month.

The rules allow for an elbow extension of 15 degrees.

The report says none of the deliveries by Ajmal during the eight overs of testing - some overs were not of the usual six balls - came close to meeting International Cricket Council regulations.

During testing, Ajmal bowled offspin from both over and around the wicket, the doosra, and quicker balls.

Ajmal, the world's top-ranked bowler in one-day internationals, was suspended on Tuesday by the ICC for a suspect action.

I saw someone give Michael Vaughan a load of shit on twitter last night saying he got him banned by the ICC.

40 degress? No wonder he's the world number 1 in ODIs

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is there any spinner who actually bowls legitimately?! It really makes me call into question a lot of the matches these players were involves in. The ICC messed up not enforcing the laws sooner. Also really makes Swann look fantastic.

Antiwhippy

TBF narine got called for his faster ball. Which is always going to be suspect with any bowler.

Just kinda annoyed that ICC chose now instead of being consistent throughout. Instead of demonising bowlers in a wide crackdown it should be caught earlier so that they have a chance to correct it. The bowling action has so very little to do with what makes a fantastic spin bowler (well, actually it has a lot to do with it, but that's beside the point). Even mystery bowlers like murali at some point mostly relied on fantastic control of line and length. Which swann is fantastic at.

I just hope that this doesn't discourage people trying to learn the doosra within the 15 degree limit. Or just move on to the carrom ball which isn't dependent on elbow position.

kmag

Is there any spinner who actually bowls legitimately?! It really makes me call into question a lot of the matches these players were involves in. The ICC messed up not enforcing the laws sooner. Also really makes Swann look fantastic.

Most stock offspinners (Swann, Lyon etc) bowl properly. Other than the arm ball there's no real legal variations for an off spinner which doesn't involve some bending.

The big question is whether they're going to start pulling up fast bowlers. There's a fair few who are close to chucking especially with short balls.

Antiwhippy

I feel that 255 is pretty below par but pakistan has bowled really well. Hopefully australia bowls even better.

Good to see smith getting runs though. What a player he'll be.

I feel that 255 is pretty below par but pakistan has bowled really well. Hopefully australia bowls even better.

Good to see smith getting runs though. What a player he'll be.

Yep, I have begun to have a massive man-crush on Steve Smith. He will end up being one of the great Australian batsmen.

What I said back in August 2013 in the UK Ashes series:
chicko1983 said:
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I think Smith could be Australia's version of KP.

If he does knock up a century, he would have scored his first test century at a younger age than KP did. TOUCH WOOD.

England is better off without KP.

Ive been watching a lot of interviews etc over the last hour from KP and various people: Strauss, Atherton, Cook, Willis, Vaughan etc, the thing that gets me the most is... the big cheesy grin on KPs face when he's talking to Sky Sports. Maybe its the sort of person I am, but it seems so fake, like he's said things to just get back people he doesn't like.

As an England fan to be frank, I hate all this, tarnishing a great team, but KP did himself damage over the texts just as he was wronged over the twitter account.

It all seems so petty, these are grown men ffs.

Crazy state game ODI going on at the moment, Ben Dunk (TAS.) finishes at 229 n.o. batting through in a total of 1/399 and Queensland and mostly Khawja look like they will chase it down!

The score so far for the day is 1/567.

Antiwhippy

Woo.

Australia finally gets to play real cricket again.

Not a bad start at all.

At this point though I hope that pakistan at least salvages something because the state of pakistan cricket seems pretty brutal.

JoV

I'd say Pakistan are favourites at the moment, even given the state of their bowling attack. Seeing how much it spun late yesterday, Australia will have to bat amazingly well to get on top now. Particularly since they only have two noted players of spin (although Doolan looked good the other day).

If they win this from here I will be really, really, impressed tbf. This is about as big a test as any they've faced in the last 18 months.

Younis batted unbelievably well yesterday too.

Antiwhippy

I'm not going to discount australia's tendencies to collapse but without ajmal I feel that they can probably do decently. Abdur Rehman did not seem to be at his best in the sri lankan tests.

Great ton by younis though. Incredible class act.

edit: wait, they don't even have abdur rehman. D'oh.

Actual their bowling seems incredibly inexperienced. Wow.

elfinke

Quite enjoying this day of test cricket so far. Pakistan, having made it through yesterday, are making hay. They look rather uncertain against Mitch, even though he isn't at his most threatening on this wicket, but he is only on one end at a time, and it's a short time at that.

Aussie slow bowlers continue to look rather average. I'm sure there must be a plan to bowl to out there, but it's either an ineffective plan or the execution is rotten. Or a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

I'm just glad it's cricket season though. The side I play for (back to back premiers, woo!) got a fucking towling on the opening weekend of local cricket two weekends ago. Beaten by some 200 runs, what a lark. Hoping to bounce back this weekend.

Yay, all out! well, one retired but now Aussies are batting and I have tomorrow off work so I will stay up and watch till the end of the day tonight.

Its been slow but if I was a Pakistan supporter, I would be very happy so far. They needed to bat for as long as possible and the runs did not matter. Though disappointing that they only made 450 after their start. They would have been aiming to bat until 1hr or less left today about an hour ago.

Aussie slow bowlers continue to look rather average. I'm sure there must be a plan to bowl to out there, but it's either an ineffective plan or the execution is rotten. Or a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

I'm just glad it's cricket season though. The side I play for (back to back premiers, woo!) got a fucking towling on the opening weekend of local cricket two weekends ago. Beaten by some 200 runs, what a lark. Hoping to bounce back this weekend.

The slow bowlers looked out of tricks but I will reserve my judgement on their performance before I see the Pakistan bowlers go. I did not see much spin or variable bounce from the Aussies so it might just be a dead pitch.

I fear that overseas series for Australia will be like this for the next few years, at least until MJ retires. Overseas teams need to slow down the pitches to get an advantage over Australia, the POMs did it, the SAFFAS did it and now the Pakkis are doing it.

Its not good for cricket and they deserve to play in front of empty stadiums for their negative outlook on cricket.

I am loving cricket season back on as well. I couldnt play last weekend so Satdy will be my first match of the year. We won it last year and have kept all the same players and gained a couple of really good new players so we are aiming to win the comp again this year (we went up a division as well). I bought a new bat as well, a GM Octane. Its pretty sweet, same as Joe Root is using below.:
JoeRoot_cutout_735x500.png

Antiwhippy

Well done by pakistan. It'll be interesting to see how their bowlers do though. Super inexperience attack, and one of them is already retired hurt.

elfinke

Dave doing good work out there last night, and ably supported by Rogers. A quarter of the runs knocked off already, and pretty easily. It seems this slow and low pitch is also woefully tepid to average finger spin, reaping what you sow and all that. I agree with your assessment chicko regarding pitch preparation.

Also, that's a wonderful bat. A team mate grabbed one which I had a quick play with last week. He unfortunately prefers circular handles to oval ones, so I didn't think much of it to use, but to look at, /whistle

elfinke

Had a great win today, including taking the catch to net our first change bowler a hat trick, feelsgoodman.gif

O'Keefe nabbed one, hopefully we run through the rest of them quickly now. This pitch is doooooooooocile.

Well, we did the opposite of run through them, never mind the quickly part. Jeez, I'm in two minds about this bowling (except for Doolan, getting that far back is just bad batting, fuck me). It's not amazing on its own, but combined with fielding and scoreboard pressure made to look amazing. I love test cricket so damn much. Third umpire earning their money here.

Doolan looked pretty clueless for the couple of balls he spent in the middle, missed the first innings so I don't know if he was just nervous or if he's just rubbish. Aussie-GAF able to shed some light on that?

elfinke

Doolan looked pretty clueless for the couple of balls he spent in the middle, missed the first innings so I don't know if he was just nervous or if he's just rubbish. Aussie-GAF able to shed some light on that?

Both, but a little more of the latter for sure. He needs time and work. Lots of talk that Vogues should get a look ahead of him. I think the selectors have a shallow pool to choose decent top order players of spin from for this test series and matter who you pick its a selection of compromises. Doolan is handy in the field for example.

Time to tune into the EPL now, seems West Ham are doing good work!

JoV

I don't think the selectors will look at Voges now. He doesn't really have the Rogers like numbers to warrant taking a punt on a 35 year old imo.

There isn't really anyone who they could potentially bring it who would thrive in conditions like these. Its probably going to take 5 or 10 years before Australia can start bringing through a new generation that's more adept at playing on these sorts of decks, which has spun a lot more than I think some people have suggested, only that Lyon and O'Keefe struggled to get the best out of it.

Right now I think they just suck it up, try and improve, and probably get ready for more performances like this in the near future. Short of digging out a few more Steve Smiths from somewhere...

Lyon is a worry though. He keeps falling back into the old habits he showed against South Africa. There will be outrage if it happens, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped for Maxwell in the next Test.

Antiwhippy

Please don't drop lyon for maxwell.

We've been through this so many times already.

Guess what works?

Not dropping lyon.

elfinke

Agreed on all counts regarding Doolan. I think he is among the best of an average bunch (first class average below 40, for example) and just needs more time (coaching, appearances etc.) It'd be great if there was some pressure - weight of runs - coming our domestic first class players, but I'm not really sure that there is.

elfinke

Another boring pitch has been served up for the second test, and it is being said it is less spinny than the Dubai pitch. Which is interesting given we were bowled/LBW to straight balls that didn't spin :/

Apparently Clarke has been training via the Jonesy method in the nets, and he is certainly due some runs.

Antiwhippy

I would keep O'keefe in honestly. I'm a fan of Maxy but lol at batting him at 3.

Feels like we didn't learn any lessons when we got wrecked in india.

Mitchell Marsh is still in? Yeesh at the nepotism. :p I would honestly just swap MM with Maxwell.

elfinke

'Part-time' spin of Glenn Maxwell, and bat him at first drop.

That'll do me. If I score another riveting 28 off 10 this weekend batting at 7 I'll be expecting a call up too.

Antiwhippy

Like seriously, do they think that our batting isn't volatile enough already?

I refuse to believe maxwell is our best number 3. Like christ, I'd rather have smith at 3.

Kinda for maxwell at 7 or 6 though. Gotta see how he goes first.

elfinke

Yep, 2-225 is about what I expected :/

And I just don't care for Lyon bowling around the wicket. Not to these guys.

Back to The Walking Dead S2 I go...

Top Bottom