• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Words cannot express how much I love Misbah

hell_yes.gif

tri_willy

just saw the scores. omg aussies you dun get goofed. clarke needs to resign honestly. all credit to misbah for his mad century, but its fucking misbah! he's not known to score quickly. goddamn smithy and his pork pies

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Love Shane warne tearing into robin Peterson.

I don't get why duminy was batting so low today.

Edit: Jesus merchant de Lange is pretty pacey.

Antiwhippy

Yeah it's a pretty serious knock.

Sri lanka can't be this bad can they? Or do they just not care about this last minute series?

Antiwhippy

Warner goes and watson comes in. No respite from this side.

Seriously worried about the bowling though, especially when you have maxwell as your only spinner.

Warner goes and watson comes in. No respite from this side.

Seriously worried about the bowling though, especially when you have maxwell as your only spinner.

I'm not really convinced by Hazelwood either. On the plus side Harris is making his comeback in the next QLD shield game.

Thankfully SA now have a case of the droppsies

Antiwhippy

Starc is still a pretty gun odi bowler. He can still bat too so it satisfies Australia's need for an insanely long batting lineup. Dunno if we need Mitch marsh really.

Drop clarke for smith. Might as well exchange the captaincy while the iron is hot.

In all seriousness though bailey has been terrible for awhile now. Always want to close my eyes when I see him bat against spin. Smith a should have played.

Antiwhippy

I was just kidding about replacing Clarke with Smith, but it seems that it may well come true.

Tough luck on Clarke. He can't have too much time left in world cricket now.

elfinke

The team I play for are back-to-back premiers, and this season we have a better team than we did last year. And yet we have been whooped several times now. What a time to be alive. I scored a handy 40 before throwing my wicket away on Saturday (stinking hot weather for cricket, too), before some young fella opened for the other team blasted 140-odd, including hitting some of the biggest sixes I've seen on any ground in Australia. Ludicrous.

Anyway, the Aussie women have acquitted themselves very nicely against the WI team, mopping the floor with them. Elyse Perry and Meg Lanning both ought to get a call up to the men's team on their form.

One last thought, at what point do people stop calling Maxwell the 'Big Show', based on the fact he hasn't produced a Big Show even once in Australian colours?

Antiwhippy

They stop when james brayshaw stop. I think even maxwell himself said that he hated that nickname.

I dunno, he's had a couple of good innings in ODIs and T20Is. An average of 31 with a SR of 120 is pretty damn good considering his role in the side.

He's basically our shahid afridi. Except he's a better batsman and a worse bowler.

I'm still waiting to see if he could be as consistent as andrew symonds.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, everything was great about that over except for the bowling. :p

Edit: I have no idea why kane Richardson keeps getting a gig.

Antiwhippy

Steve smith is a serious champ. Can't see him out of the WC side anymore.

Really don't think clarke should return for the WC either.

There were rumors at the time, but they just confirmed on ABC that he wasn't breathing when he came off the field and had to have CPR for half and hour until the Ambulances arrived and they intubated him.

Yagharek

Fucking horrible news, I hope he recovers quickly. And also that Sean Abbott gets the supper he needs as well.

Phil Hughes is one of the best young cricketers to watch. Hopefully he gets the best care available.

Antiwhippy

Seriously though, we have a skull fracture with ahmed shezad and now phil hughes. Maybe the helmet needs a bit of a redesign?

wachie

Shocking news regarding Hughes. Hoping he pulls through to a full recovery.

It'll be rather sad end to a great career, but yeah, I think it's best for the team if he sits out the WC.
Clarke's career is anything but great. I'd reserve the word great for the likes of Ponting, Waugh etc.

wachie

Just saw the video, it's brutal. The way he falls and then when he's on the stretcher he's basically like a ragdoll, I couldn't hold back tears.

Here's hoping he makes it and makes a full recovery.

Antiwhippy

Clarke's batting is of course not as good as ponting's, but I'd still say that he was among the upper tier in terms of Australian ATG and I give him credit for captaining one of our weakest batting lineups in awhile, and that include ponting when he was still in the side.

This umpire needs to have a word with himself, first one fair enough giving it - it was close but the second one hit the same place when Cook was in the same position and it was even further over the top.

Horrible news about Hughes too btw, I hope he pulls through

Top Bottom