• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
theusedversion said:
Anyone have any experience with these lenses?

ef50_18ii_1_l.jpg

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171462_-1

ef24_28_1_l.jpg

Canon EF 24mm f2.8 Wide Angle Lens
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171390_-1

Pretty inexpensive lenses. I've heard great things about the 50mm but am wondering if any gaffers have it.

Don't go with the 1.8. It's flimsy and breaks easily. Go 1.4 minimum, or if you have the cash. the 1.2. Way better build. Personally if I had the money I would go with a 50mm 1.0 but they go for 3000 dollars. Super sharp though and insane in low light.

MRORANGE said:
is it too unrealistic to expect that dlsr's will do 4k video anytime soon? (in the next year or so)

Not at all. Canon unveiled a prototype 4-5k chip and 4k monitor at nab. Looked insane, but resolution is one thing. Raw uncompressed video is more important.

The RED Scarlet is already super compact, so seeing 4k DSLRs in the near future is very possible.

Danoss

bluerei said:
Don't go with the 1.8. It's flimsy and breaks easily. Go 1.4 minimum, or if you have the cash. the 1.2. Way better build. Personally if I had the money I would go with a 50mm 1.0 but they go for 3000 dollars. Super sharp though and insane in low light.
At least the 1.8 is priced appropriately for a lens that "breaks easily". I don't know what sort of really rough treatment you have to give it to make it break so easily. From all reports I hear from photographers, the 1.4 is the most temperamental lens there is; just look at it the wrong way and the AF seizes up and will no longer function.

If it's on a crop body, I would (and did) grab the Sigma 30/1.4 for an extremely close 50mm equivalent that is incredible for the price.

Danoss said:
At least the 1.8 is priced appropriately for a lens that "breaks easily". I don't know what sort of really rough treatment you have to give it to make it break so easily. From all reports I hear from photographers, the 1.4 is the most temperamental lens there is; just look at it the wrong way and the AF seizes up and will no longer function.

If it's on a crop body, I would (and did) grab the Sigma 30/1.4 for an extremely close 50mm equivalent that is incredible for the price.

Neither I or the other 20+ pro photogs I personally know never had a prob with the 1.4. Most have broken their 1.8 because the build quality is so crap and cheap. A simple bump into a light stand while carrying their camera would jolt it enough to break the focal ring. It's garbage.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
bluerei said:
Neither I or the other 20+ pro photogs I personally know never had a prob with the 1.4.

I can attest to the frailness of the 1.4's AF mechanism. Mine took a bump on the nose while extended and warped the plastic guide (internal). Even when manual focusing, when this happens, causes the focus ring to spin around without any traction (so the lens becomes fubared). Its also a $150 fix. This is what put me on the path of Manual Focus lenses.

I also agree about the 1.8 though, I've read first hand accounts of the front element actually plopping off :lol

The only rigidly built fast 50mm out there (for Canon) are the Sigma (assuming you get a nicely calibrated one) and the Canon 50/1.2 (once you've learned to deal with the focus shift).

BlueTsunami said:
I can attest to the frailness of the 1.4's AF mechanism. Mine took a bump on the nose while extended and warped the plastic guide (internal). Even when manual focusing, when this happens, causes the focus ring to spin around without any traction (so the lens becomes fubared). Its also a $150 fix. This is what put me on the path of Manual Focus lenses.

I also agree about the 1.8 though, I've read first hand accounts of the front element actually plopping off :lol

The only rigidly built fast 50mm out there (for Canon) are the Sigma (assuming you get a nicely calibrated one) and the Canon 50/1.2 (once you've learned to deal with the focus shift).

I would say if you want a 50mm get the Yashica or Helios lens.

mr.beers

Looking to buy a new SD card for my T2i my current card is SDHC 8GB Class 4 I need one that can record HD video, as of now I can only record 640 x 480 @ 60fps. Buying from amazon if preferable, any recommendations?

Thanks for all of the replies. I can get the 1.8 at a local store for $100 so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm still an amateur so I think I should start off slow and progress from there. I realize good quality lenses are a great investment but I just don't feel comfortable at this point throwing down a lot of cash on something I'm not as informed about.

Danoss

theusedversion said:
Thanks for all of the replies. I can get the 1.8 at a local store for $100 so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm still an amateur so I think I should start off slow and progress from there. I realize good quality lenses are a great investment but I just don't feel comfortable at this point throwing down a lot of cash on something I'm not as informed about.
Good stuff man, it's a decent enough entry level prime to have a root around with. Gotta start somewhere.

build quality can be overrated, especially if you're just starting out. my sony 35mm 1.8 feels like it's made from shampoo bottles and sellotape, yet the optical quality itself is fantastic (better in some ways than the G 1.4, according to a lot of people) and it's amazing value. i can't see that canon 1.8 not being worth the $100!

Futureman

I can't believe there isn't a 5DIII yet and there aren't any strong rumors about one coming later this year.

I've had mine for a year and a half. Only reason I'd probably upgrade is if there are some awesome new video features.

FourDoor

What's up Photo-GAF!

We finally pulled the trigger and got our first DSLR after weeks of research. We ended up with the Nikon D7000 w/ 18-200mm VRII lens from Costco. Also picked up a Nikon 35mm F1.8 to pair with the D7000. Man I love that little 35mm!!!

Now it's all about learning how to use the camera but I've been happy shooting in Aperture Priority mode after this first weekends use.

Anyways, the bag that came with the kit from Costco is already getting too small with the accessories I've purchased. What is everyone's favorite backpack style camera bag here?

BlueTsunami

Futureman said:
I can't believe there isn't a 5DIII yet and there aren't any strong rumors about one coming later this year.

I've had mine for a year and a half. Only reason I'd probably upgrade is if there are some awesome new video features.

I'm thinking it'll be announced this Fall with a release early next year. One has to wonder what they'll do with it since the Mark II is a pretty solid camera (aside from some issues regarding pattern noise when raising the exposure of an underexposed image). I know people have bitched about the ancient AF system and how the D700 completely destroys the 5DMKII in that regard. Other than that, probably a megapixel hike.

They still haven't said anything about the 1Ds MKIV which is also supposed to be announced soon. This is worrying because, if they're announced close together, I'm sure that they'll try to find a way to differentiate between the 5DMKIII and 1DsMKIV by gimping the 5DMKIII of newer features.

eastmen

Banned
Thanks everyone for the help , she is getting the t3i with both lenses.

Now a few questions . Do t2i batterys work in the t3i ?

Also what are a few small things that add up to about $40-$50 that would be good to buy her as a gift . I was thinking some batterys , lense protectors mabye filters.

tokkun

eastmen said:

Also what are a few small things that add up to about $40-$50 that would be good to buy her as a gift . I was thinking some batterys , lense protectors mabye filters.

Mini tripod and remote shutter release are also pretty useful accessories that can be had cheaply on ebay.

Zyzyxxz

FourDoor said:
What's up Photo-GAF!

We finally pulled the trigger and got our first DSLR after weeks of research. We ended up with the Nikon D7000 w/ 18-200mm VRII lens from Costco. Also picked up a Nikon 35mm F1.8 to pair with the D7000. Man I love that little 35mm!!!

Now it's all about learning how to use the camera but I've been happy shooting in Aperture Priority mode after this first weekends use.

Anyways, the bag that came with the kit from Costco is already getting too small with the accessories I've purchased. What is everyone's favorite backpack style camera bag here?

wow that is a nice setup, how much was everything?

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I'm thinking it'll be announced this Fall with a release early next year. One has to wonder what they'll do with it since the Mark II is a pretty solid camera (aside from some issues regarding pattern noise when raising the exposure of an underexposed image). I know people have bitched about the ancient AF system and how the D700 completely destroys the 5DMKII in that regard. Other than that, probably a megapixel hike.

They still haven't said anything about the 1Ds MKIV which is also supposed to be announced soon. This is worrying because, if they're announced close together, I'm sure that they'll try to find a way to differentiate between the 5DMKIII and 1DsMKIV by gimping the 5DMKIII of newer features.

I heard rumor of splitting 5D2 into a regular model and a dedicated video model, merging the 1D series to 1Ds and ditch the 1.3X sensor.

Recent Canon models movement are matching Nikon more directly, instead of slotting them in between Nikon models. The 7D is a direct competitor to the D300/s. The D60 is going down market to meet the D90/D7000. Changing the 1D to full frame will catch up to D3x's high ISO performance.

BlueTsunami said:

AF system upgrade should be huge. I'm guessing a more fancy version of 7D's cross point AF witch is, amazingly fast and precise.

eastmen said:

You're not going to find a good polarizer or filter for under 50 and batteries cost a lot. Get a card and a lens cloth.

eastmen

Banned
bluerei said:
You're not going to find a good polarizer or filter for under 50 and batteries cost a lot. Get a card and a lens cloth.

well i bought her a camera bag already , a coach wallet . I was hoping to get a few starter filters/polarizers for her just to mess with.

We are going to disney in oct so I figure i'd buy her something better then when she figures out to use them. No recomendations on cheaper starter stuff ?

Oh i also bought her the two books i was recommended earlier in the thread.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
eastmen said:
well i bought her a camera bag already , a coach wallet . I was hoping to get a few starter filters/polarizers for her just to mess with.

We are going to disney in oct so I figure i'd buy her something better then when she figures out to use them. No recomendations on cheaper starter stuff ?

Oh i also bought her the two books i was recommended earlier in the thread.
get her a Hoya CPL, its not a big deal. They are about 40 or 50 bucks. The only people that need super expensive filters are the people that will obsess about the image quality like pros, prosumers and pixel peepers. A beginner isn't going to notice any difference between nicer and middle of the road filters.

BlueTsunami

Fernando Rocker said:
So, GAF... what's the general consensus about the Sony Nex-5?

Fantastic camera if you can live with the two native lenses (zoom and prime). An update version will hit this Fall.

FourDoor

Zyzyxxz said:
wow that is a nice setup, how much was everything?

The Costco package ended up at $1800 before tax and the 35mm was $199. Costco had an instant $250 rebate that was applied. I would have bought it from Amazon as they had the same deal to save on tax but they were sold out on just the D7000 body for that week I was trying to buy.

I also figured the 35mm would be the cheapest lens I would buy and has received awesome reviews under low light conditions so might as well get it now too.

Window shopping and reading reviews on lenses this past week has brought me to the realization that this is a very expensive hobby to get in to... LOL

luxarific

Nork unification denier
FourDoor said:
The Costco package ended up at $1800 before tax and the 35mm was $199. Costco had an instant $250 rebate that was applied. I would have bought it from Amazon as they had the same deal to save on tax but they were sold out on just the D7000 body for that week I was trying to buy.

I also figured the 35mm would be the cheapest lens I would buy and has received awesome reviews under low light conditions so might as well get it now too.

Window shopping and reading reviews on lenses this past week has brought me to the realization that this is a very expensive hobby to get in to... LOL
Lensrentals.com. I don't really want to own a three thousand dollar telephoto, but I'd like to use one occassionally. Renting the lens for the occasion I need it for is much more palatable to me than saving months for a lens that I'll only use once or twice a year.

It's also a nice way of test driving lenses before you buy.

FourDoor

luxarific said:
Lensrentals.com. I don't really want to own a three thousand dollar telephoto, but I'd like to use one occassionally. Renting the lens for the occasion I need it for is much more palatable to me than saving months for a lens that I'll only use once or twice a year.

It's also a nice way of test driving lenses before you buy.

Yeah I don't see myself buying a $3k telephoto lens anytime soon but would love to rent one for a weekend if I ever attend any motorsport events.

I've been reading a little about the "Holy Trinity" of lenses and it sounds like that would be a nice goal to have down the road if I ever seriously get in to photography and can justify spending a few grand on the lenses.

lens rentals? cool. not a bad idea.

Just received a 'new' T1i body in the mail today for $500. What's the general gaf consensus on it? Did I overpay by too much? It's in good condition and looks like only 3 photos were snapped w/ it.

I have the EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 lens, and for daytime indoor shots I still need the flash. It's been rainy and dark here in California. Would a 50mm 1.8mm prime lens fair a lot better in low light situations?

golem

New Olympus models:

P3_best_bk+14-42mm-tb.jpg

pl3_pm1-tb.jpg

Pen E-P3 [specs]

12.3 effective Megapixel Live MOS sensor (different than its predecessor)
New dual-core TruePic VI image processor
Micro Four Thirds lens mount with 2X crop factor
Classic rangefinder-style all-metal body, comes in black, silver, and white
Choice of two right hand grips (the larger one is optional) or nothing at all
Sensor-shift image stabilization
World's fastest autofocus system (35-point), beating out the Panasonic GH2 and even pro D-SLRs costing thousands more
3-inch touchscreen OLED display with 614,000 pixels; touch functions include focus, shutter, image zoom, and playback "swiping"
Full-time live view (obviously) with live histogram, electronic level, face detection, and MF assist (zoom)
Built-in flash (which was missing on its predecessor) with wireless flash control, plus a hot shoe
Full manual controls, with plenty of white balance options, five types of bracketing and RAW support (naturally); ISO range of 200 - 12800
iAuto mode selects a scene mode for you; beginners will also like the enhanced Live Guide, in-camera help system
Ten Art Filters, which can be combined, customized, and bracketed for
Continuous shooting at 3 frames/sec
Full HD video recording (1080/60i, 30p sensor output) with stereo sound and continuous AF using AVCHD codec (M-JPEG also available at lower resolutions)
Interesting accessories include: external mic adapter, wired remote, and PENPAL (Bluetooth transmitter)
SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
Uses BLS-1 or BLS-5 li-ion battery, 330 shots per charge
HDMI output
Ships in August with the restyled F3.5-5.6, 14 - 42 mm lens or the classic F2.8, 17mm pancake lens for $899

DCResource review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e_p3-review

Pen Lite E-PL3 [specs]

12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor (same as E-P3)
TruePic VI image processor (again, same as above)
Micro Four Thirds lens mount with 2X crop factor
Sensor-shift image stabilization
Compact metal body, comes in black, silver, white, and red
Same 35-point "FAST" autofocus system as the E-P3
Articulating 3-inch, widescreen LCD display with 460,000 pixels
Same live view features as the E-P3, minus the electronic level
Does not have a built-in flash; Olympus includes a small external flash in the box (GN 10 at ISO 200)
Full manual controls + iAuto mode for beginners
Continuous shooting as fast as 5.5 fps with IS turned off (4.1 fps with IS turned on)
Not quite as many Art Filters as the E-P3 (six versus ten)
Full HD movie mode (1080/60i) with stereo sound and continuous AF
Supports same accessories as the E-P3
SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
Uses BLS-1/BLS-5 li-ion battery; battery life not available
HDMI output
Will include either the F3.5-5.6, 14 - 42 mm or F2.8, 17 mm lenses
Price and availability TBA

Pen Mini E-PM1 [specs] - changes:

Even smaller body has fewer controls (and no mode dial) and uses a simplified interface; available in purple, pink, brown, white, silver, and black
3-inch, fixed LCD display with 460,000 pixels
Includes the F3.5-5.6, 14 - 42 mm lens
Price and availability TBA

Camera GAF, I have a bit of a predicament. A little over a year ago, for my birthday, I got a decent camera from my rich aunt. I loved it. I took plenty of photos, and even recorded some video. Alas, my evil sister lost the charger for it. It's been lost for at least 9 months, so all I have is a dead camera.

I realize I could probably buy a replacement charger - and I still might do so - but I was interested in purchasing a new, superior camera. Since you guys are, well, experts, I was looking for some advice. I'm interested in a camera that's anywhere from $100 to $200 (I'm just a poor teenager, after all). I'm not really into the field of "high quality" photography like many of you guys are; I'm just looking for a nice camera that will take pictures of vacations, family events, etc.

Thank you, whoever is kind enough to help me :D.

Blackhead

Redarse
JJDinomite said:
Camera GAF, I have a bit of a predicament. A little over a year ago, for my birthday, I got a decent camera from my rich aunt. I loved it. I took plenty of photos, and even recorded some video. Alas, my evil sister lost the charger for it. It's been lost for at least 9 months, so all I have is a dead camera.

I realize I could probably buy a replacement charger - and I still might do so - but I was interested in purchasing a new, superior camera. Since you guys are, well, experts, I was looking for some advice. I'm interested in a camera that's anywhere from $100 to $200 (I'm just a poor teenager, after all). I'm not really into the field of "high quality" photography like many of you guys are; I'm just looking for a nice camera that will take pictures of vacations, family events, etc.

What camera did you rich aunt buy for you?

I'm confused about the part where your rich aunt gave you a "decent" camera, but now you want to buy a superior one for 100-200 dollars.

A replacement charger would probably be under $100, why don't you just buy that and keep using the camera you already have?

artist

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
But I have trouble to get excited. The point of a follow focus is to set stops to fast switch from position A to B right ? This need some sort of stopping solution
You can easily do a dirty DIY with it, ofcourse it's not going to look cool. The point was to get most of the functionality using a cheaper solution.

Zyzyxxz said:
isn't it a new sensor? It says (different from predecessor) above.
I read a review which said otherwise. However now I'm reading the more trusted reviewers' pieces and it indeed looks like a new sensor. :)

artist

Banned
About the new Olympus sensor in the PEN3

The big news, though, is that Olympus has taken the Panasonic Live MOS sensor and modified it. Thirty-five positions across the sensor have special photosites that detect IR instead of regular light. (Those positions are filled in with faux data, much like remapped defective photosites.) This takes advantage of a special property of the spectral differences of regular and infrared light: essentially you can measure the chromatic aberration difference between the visible light and infrared light data and obtain a quick estimate of which way and even some basic information on how much the focus is offset. This is similar (but not as precise, I think) to what a phase detect focus system gets.

Instead of the usual contrast detect focus system, which has no idea of how far off the focus is or which way the focus should be moved, and which has to figure that out from a series of move-and-measure steps, the new FAST system is much like phase detect systems: compare two measurements and you know which way to move the lens and about how far. The focus system is further improved by using a 120 fps stream rate (compared to the old 60 fps used in the previous Pens).

BlueTsunami said:
Fantastic camera if you can live with the two native lenses (zoom and prime). An update version will hit this Fall.

not to stick up for the NEX's anaemic glass selection, but to be fair there are three lenses! or is the 18-200 not available elsewhere?

plus there's the macro coming in a couple of months, and the 16mm wide & fisheye converters don't really count but are good quality nonetheless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
345triangle said:
not to stick up for the NEX's anaemic glass selection, but to be fair there are three lenses! or is the 18-200 not available elsewhere?

plus there's the macro coming in a couple of months, and the 16mm wide & fisheye converters don't really count but are good quality nonetheless.

and a ton of legacy manual glass via adapters. (although thats the same as m4/3). And with the new 'peaking' highlights in firmware v4, manual focus is actually very usable and fairly quick.

Micro 4/3 definitely wins if you want a ton of lenses, but the sensor isn't quite as good at high ISO noise and its smaller so more DoF. I secretly lust after the GH2 though. Looking forward to see what Sony does with the NEX-7

FourDoor

JJDinomite said:

Just go on eBay and buy a cheap charger for less than $5. It doesn't make sense to spend $200 on a "new" camera when you have one that works and suits your needs now.

guess

BlueTsunami said:

I dropped my 50 1.4 (extended) a few days ago :(

guess

BlueTsunami said:
Ouch :(
Any problems with it? Such a great lens with that one unfortunate build issue

Auto focus doesn't work at all. Manual focus works up to a certain distance, at which point the front element stops moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom