• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvd2kewl

Upgraded most of my equipment today.

fcr9S.jpg

Added:

Canon EOS 7D (previously used the Canon T1i)
24-70mm f/2.8L Lens (was using Tamron 28-75 f/2.8)
70-200mm f/2.8L Lens (was using Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6)

Also picked up 8GB and 16GB Sandisk Extreme CF memory cards and the Crumpler 6MDH Bag.

Add to the list above my 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8 USM lenses and the 270ex Speedlite and that rounds out my list of equipment.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Aw, fuck. I thought I had clicked on the buy/sell/trade thread and about shit myself when I was those lenses.

...time to go drool on the camera store counter, I suppose.

So two things I wanted to share.

Magic Lantern. Amazing.
Installed this on my T2i still in beta and it works like a charm. no bugs, and not worried about anything gong wrong. Plus I can turn of Auto Gain Control now and get great audio with a Rhode Mic Pro. On board HRD which auto takes the amount of photos I want up to 9 stops of exposure? Amazing. On board intervalometer? Amazing. Zebras for video? Incredible.

Seriously gives me the Audio control of a 5D Mark II and software you wouldn't otherwise get, and that even hardware can't replicate. So amazing. Makes my T2i VERY powerful. Can also double the nitrate of my video recording.

DSLRSolutions Follow Focus. Greatest rig out there for under 100$.
cheapfollow.jpg

Used a Zacuto once before at school, the knob follow focus is a bit more elegant, but this is better than any DIY rig I have ever seen. Also it was only 60$. Just came in today, been having a blast with it. I can set up to 4 stops of focus and rack with it, which gives it features that even 400$ follow focus rigs don't have. If you're not using a follow focus rig, buy this.

olbareun

new firmware for x100 is out! finally fixing the bug that forces you to set settings like macro or long exposure on each shot.

it is pretty sad that I had to use my laptop instead of desktop since the fuji software for copying the firmware file to the camera can't detect the camera if any usb device other than mouse is attached.

rvd2kewl said:

fcr9S.jpg

Added:

Also picked up 8GB and 16GB Samsung Extreme CF memory cards and the Crumpler 6MDH Bag.

Add to the list above my 50mm f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.8 USM lenses and the 270ex Speedlite and that rounds out my list of equipment.
DROOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL..

I have that 7D, but i would kill puppies for that 24-70mm and
70-200mm

Mistle

Could anybody recommend a nice, cheap prime lens for the t3i? f2.8 or lower, and an equiv. of around 50mm on a 1.6x sensor.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF II would be perfect if not for the 1.6x of the t3i. I want a lens just for general group portraits and indoor photography, so the 50mm = approx 80mm isn't wide enough.

So pretty much, a lens that's similar in quality/price to the Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF II, but with a wider lens. Something around 28mm or 35mm. Canon preferably, but I can get an adaptor if another brand is really worth it. Thanks!

Danoss

Mistle, I think the best lens for the job is the Sigma 30/1.4. Myself and at least one other person on this forum have it and can vouch for it's quality and value. Some with say the Sigma 28/1.8 is excellent too, but I haven't personally used it.

Canon's non-L lenses around that focal length are ancient with noisy motors and vomit-inducing bokeh.

33-Hit-Combo said:
I don't suppose you've had a chance to test the 25mm Zuiko pancake lens have you? I'm interested in a lens with a low F-stop. I can't really afford much more!

I'm a (micro) 4/3 user and I never tried that lens. From my understanding, the only thing really going for it is its size. IQ is said to be not really any better than the kit lens.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Danoss said:
Mistle, I think the best lens for the job is the Sigma 30/1.4. Myself and at least one other person on this forum have it and can vouch for it's quality and value. Some with say the Sigma 28/1.8 is excellent too, but I haven't personally used it.

Canon's non-L lenses around that focal length are ancient with noisy motors and vomit-inducing bokeh.
Sigma 30 1.4 is fantastic. Solid build quality and the bokeh is easily up there with Canon's L lenses. Only wish I could use it on a full frame camera.

XMonkey said:
Sigma 30 1.4 is fantastic. Solid build quality and the bokeh is easily up there with Canon's L lenses. Only wish I could use it on a full frame camera.
yup, have been lurking for that lens a long time now. Will buy it.

Mistle

Danoss said:

After some research, this sounds pretty perfect for what I'm after. Thanks for the tip! It's a bit more expensive than the "really cheap" lens I was looking for, but I guess with the standards that I'm after, that lens just doesn't exist.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for a used Sigma 30/1.4, and hopefully get a nice price on it.

decaf

Camera GAF, please advise!

I'm considering shelling out for a Canon EOS 60D as my first DSLR and also to replace my Sony HDR XR520 handycam.

Thing is, I really love the image stabilisation on my Sony - what kind of lenses should I be looking at to achieve a similar effect on the 60D?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
caffeinedreamer said:
Camera GAF, please advise!

I'm considering shelling out for a Canon EOS 60D as my first DSLR and also to replace my Sony HDR XR520 handycam.

Thing is, I really love the image stabilisation on my Sony - what kind of lenses should I be looking at to achieve a similar effect on the 60D?

ones with image stabilisation in?

sorry for the snarky comment but thats basically it.

What specifically did you shoot on the handycam that you want to replicate? and are you interested more in the video side than stills?

decaf

No, I'm equally interested in both the camera and video sides, I just want to be sure that the image stabilisation is suitable enough for shooting video on the go - at a conference or convention, for example - and having it relatively stable without the need for a tripod.

Sorry for the newb question, I just don't really know where I should be starting with lenses or what I should be looking for in terms of stabilisation. Should I be assuming if I'm going for a lens with stabilisation it will give me a similar level of stabilisation that I got from the XR520 Handycam or would that involve me paying for a lens with USM?

Herp derp, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hmm.

USM is focus related, gives you faster focus. doesn't impact stablisation.

Most IS is similar in that it'll give you 2-3 stops of leeway to allow slower shutter speeds while still freezing motion.

Different makes might vary slightly and even different lenses - eg modern Canon IS tends to have more stops, but some of their IS lenses are quite old. Also some have 'panning' mode support and some are designed just for static shots.

Do you know what focal lengths you want? Do you want something that'll do it all - the latest Tamron 18-270 is supposed to be pretty good (and had stabilisation). Or if you want higher quality glass you'll need to restrict your range.

what do you expect to be shooting mostly? portrait, landscape, macro, urban, wide angle, long zoom stuff like birds in flight etc?

decaf

Something that does it all, or the closest one can get to that, would be lovely. The Tamron 18-270 looks great, very temptingly so, but it's at the top of my price range. Portrait and landscape are my top priorities though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
caffeinedreamer said:
Something that does it all, or the closest one can get to that, would be lovely. The Tamron 18-270 looks great, very temptingly so, but it's at the top of my price range. Portrait and landscape are my top priorities though.

save up for that as a 'does it all lense'

in the meantime for portrait the 50mm 1.8 is a must-buy, gives you great shallow focus and a great price. I prefer the 85 1.8 but its more expensive

for landscapes you can probably manage with the kit lens - if you got one with your camera? You'd stop down for sharpness anyway and the kit will be fine quality then. If you're using a tripod shutter speed isn't an issue.

So to start off, 50mm 1.8 and 18-55 kit lens, then later on the 18-270 tamron (make sure its the newer one)

GuessWho

Instigator said:
I'm a (micro) 4/3 user and I never tried that lens. From my understanding, the only thing really going for it is its size. IQ is said to be not really any better than the kit lens.

can you use micro 4/3 lens on regular 4/3?
btw want to add that the pancake lens significantly reduces weight as well.

Futureman

HenryGale said:
So two things I wanted to share.

Magic Lantern. Amazing.
Installed this on my T2i still in beta and it works like a charm. no bugs, and not worried about anything gong wrong. Plus I can turn of Auto Gain Control now and get great audio with a Rhode Mic Pro. On board HRD which auto takes the amount of photos I want up to 9 stops of exposure? Amazing. On board intervalometer? Amazing. Zebras for video? Incredible.

Seriously gives me the Audio control of a 5D Mark II and software you wouldn't otherwise get, and that even hardware can't replicate. So amazing. Makes my T2i VERY powerful. Can also double the nitrate of my video recording.

cheapfollow.jpg

Used a Zacuto once before at school, the knob follow focus is a bit more elegant, but this is better than any DIY rig I have ever seen. Also it was only 60$. Just came in today, been having a blast with it. I can set up to 4 stops of focus and rack with it, which gives it features that even 400$ follow focus rigs don't have. If you're not using a follow focus rig, buy this.

damn, I'm gonna have to look into this when I get some extra cash. Looks real legit.

Danoss

HenryGale said:
Oh, I almost forgot to thank you for posting this.

A friend just put me in to film a commercial for one of his friends, and one of these will be quite handy. For the number of times I'll use it, it's not worth getting one of the fancy ones; this little unit fits the bill perfectly.

Don't forget to post it in the GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread, I think some of them might like seeing this.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
rvd2kewl said:

fcr9S.jpg

Added:

Also picked up 8GB and 16GB Sandisk Extreme CF memory cards and the Crumpler 6MDH Bag.

Nice!!!!

the 24-70L is an amazing lens, I have that lens attached to my Canon XSi/450D. I have my 50L attached to my Canon 60D.

The canon 70-200mm f2.8L II is on my "to buy" list, but I first need to graduate with my MBA and get a nice job to pay for it :D

GuessWho said:
can you use micro 4/3 lens on regular 4/3?
btw want to add that the pancake lens significantly reduces weight as well.

Unfortunately, it only works the other way around. AF is significantly slower with 4/3 lenses on m4/3 though.

If your budget permitted, I would have adviced you to get the Zuiko 50mm F2 or to track down stores which still have the Sigma 24 F1.8 or the Sigma 30 F1.4 (for 4/3), but you indicated that you couldn't spend more. Depending on the store and if the lenses are used or new, those cost between 300 and 500 bucks. Otherwise I guess the 25mm f2.8 pancake will do.

Indeed, it seems you'd be ready to migrate to m4/3 if size is that important to you. A Zuiko 17mm F2.8 pancake or Panasonic 20mm 1.7mm pancake would be right up your alley (I own the latter) with any small-bodied Olympus or Panasonic m4/3 body.

But you know, if your budget is that tight and you need to keep your 4/3 body yet you want a cheap, faster lens then there's a third option for you. Go on Ebay or with other resellers and find yourself some old Olympus OM lenses. These can mounted on your 4/3 body via the OM adapter (you have to get that too). AF wouldn't work, but you could get some decent glass nonetheless. Check it out:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/omz.html

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Olympus_OM_lenses

I hope you find a satisfactory solution either way.

ConvenientBox said:
Looks awesome, but should be $25-30 max judging from what you get in the package.

That's called the Photography Tax. People who make this kind of stuff charge more for it just because photographic equipment is expensive enough in general that the extra markup doesn't put off as many buyers.

rvd2kewl

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nice!!!!

the 24-70L is an amazing lens, I have that lens attached to my Canon XSi/450D. I have my 50L attached to my Canon 60D.

Thanks. Loving the fast-focusing USM on the 24-70L. I rented the lens last year to cover an event and knew I had to buy it someday. Been saving since and now that I'm starting to cover more events, I felt the time was right to go ahead and upgrade.

Zyzyxxz

Fuji is gonna unveil some new cameras in September so I'm hopeful they will produce a X100 with an interchangeable lens mount.

Imagine if it were M-mount.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Zyzyxxz said:
Fuji is gonna unveil some new cameras in September so I'm hopeful they will produce a X100 with an interchangeable lens mount.

Imagine if it were M-mount.

Even not even knowing what Leica will do with this mirrorless and I think an X100 with interchangeable lenses will be beating them to the punch. Though, I think it was here? Or on another board where I heard that the Optical/Electronic hybrid viewfinder would probably be gone on such a system since a true rangefinder requires a great amount of precision between the lens and viewfinder. I would probably still look into such an X100 even if it just contained an EVF.

Fireye

Wish I could afford that tasty 24-70 and 70-200mm, but alas, poor ol' me settled on picking up a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro USM. Shipped today, hopefully will be here before the end of next week!

BlueTsunami

MRORANGE said:
are there any primes that are less than 30mm for Nikon DX camera's? (I don't mind manual focusing)

Not sure about their AF lenses but they have an abundance of MF lenses (Non-AI, AI and AIS). I'd look into their 24/2.8, 28/2 and 28/2.8 MF offerings. I personally own the 28/2 AI. The also have dramatically wider lenses but I'm not too informed on their manual lenses wider than 24mm.

MRORANGE

BlueTsunami said:
Not sure about their AF lenses but they have an abundance of MF lenses (Non-AI, AI and AIS). I'd look into their 24/2.8, 28/2 and 28/2.8 MF offerings. I personally own the 28/2 AI. The also have dramatically wider lenses but I'm not too informed on their manual lenses wider than 24mm.

are those FX lenses? if they are won't the Fov be smaller on a DX camera?

so the 24/2.8 would 24*1.5 (aps-c) = 36mm focal length? not sure about this.

BlueTsunami

MRORANGE said:
are those FX lenses? if they are won't the Fov be smaller on a DX camera?

so the 24/2.8 would 24*1.5 (aps-c) = 36mm focal length? not sure about this.

These are Full Frame lenses. The FoV will be smaller on a DX camera. If you're trying to get an equivalent focal length for DX that's below 30mm you'll be needing something wider than 20mm which is going into super wide territory (and getting expensive). At that wide it would certainly be better to get a DX native lens since full frame that wide may be expensive. Sigma does make a 20/1.8 though but I've heard spotty things about its quality (and its supposed to be a little big).

There's also the super wide zooms from Tokina and Sigma (around 10-20mm lenses). The Tokina 11-16mm in particular is known for its great quality but it sits at around $600.

MRORANGE

BlueTsunami said:
These are Full Frame lenses. The FoV will be smaller on a DX camera. If you're trying to get an equivalent focal length for DX that's below 30mm you'll be needing something wider than 20mm which is going into super wide territory (and getting expensive). At that wide it would certainly be better to get a DX native lens since full frame that wide may be expensive. Sigma does make a 20/1.8 though but I've heard spotty things about its quality (and its supposed to be a little big).

There's also the super wide zooms from Tokina and Sigma (around 10-20mm lenses). The Tokina 11-16mm in particular is known for its great quality but it sits at around $600.

hmm, the the tokina 11-16mm 2.8 seems interesting, might look into that one, thanks!

tino

Banned
MRORANGE said:
hmm, the the tokina 11-16mm 2.8 seems interesting, might look into that one, thanks!

I own the 11-16 and have used the Nikon 12-24 f/4. The Tokina has much better distortion at portrait distance. The 12-24 is too distorted to used for wedding photography or group photo, which is ridiculous consider its price.

cbox

chaostrophy said:
That's called the Photography Tax. People who make this kind of stuff charge more for it just because photographic equipment is expensive enough in general that the extra markup doesn't put off as many buyers.

Oh I'm fully aware,

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Even not even knowing what Leica will do with this mirrorless and I think an X100 with interchangeable lenses will be beating them to the punch. Though, I think it was here? Or on another board where I heard that the Optical/Electronic hybrid viewfinder would probably be gone on such a system since a true rangefinder requires a great amount of precision between the lens and viewfinder. I would probably still look into such an X100 even if it just contained an EVF.

Making a M mount X100 probably make a lot more sense. You don't have to worry about AF mechanism at such a small package. Historically only Kyocera has made successful AF rangefinder system, the Contax G. You can even jump on the "Leica tax" bandwagon and charge more. Although personally I only care about the fixed lens version. IMO a interchangeable lens system wil change the "life style" of using the x100.

If it drops to 800-ish one day, I think I can talk my wife into letting me buy it.

ChryZ

New gear!

P1020607_800.jpg

I had an eye on the GH2. Mainly for the new Live CMOS, improved iso performance, viewfinder and snappy AF. Well, but then the G3 appeared out of nowhere and it was a better match for me. G3 had it all and was 300eur less expensive than the GH2 body. I got the G3 for 540eur shipped. Okay, the G3 lacks many of the GH2 video features/controls, but I rarely shoot video. I still love my GF1 and going to keep it. The G3 is almost the same size as the GF1, but its viewfinder pokes out a bit.

The Nokton is such a wonderful weird lens. I'm still getting used to it. Initial impressions: contrasty, even at F0,95. Wide open quite soft in the corners, center is still pretty sharp. Insanely high resolution and sharpness when stopped down, its F8 performance is mind boggling. Hyperfocal distance starts after just three meters (~10 feet), awesome for just frame and shoot (read = no need to focus). Definitely not a lens for people who want every shot to be technically brilliant, this one got a lot of "character".

mr_nothin

Banned
ChryZ said:
New gear!

P1020607_800.jpg

I had an eye on the GH2. Mainly for the new Live CMOS, improved iso performance, viewfinder and snappy AF. Well, but then the G3 appeared out of nowhere and it was a better match for me. G3 had it all and was 300eur less expensive than the GH2 body. I got the G3 for 540eur shipped. Okay, the G3 lacks many of the GH2 video features/controls, but I rarely shoot video. I still love my GF1 and going to keep it. The G3 is almost the same size as the GF1, but its viewfinder pokes out a bit.

The Nokton is such a wonderful weird lens. I'm still getting used to it. Initial impressions: contrasty, even at F0,95. Wide open quite soft in the corners, center is still pretty sharp. Insanely high resolution and sharpness when stopped down, its F8 performance is mind boggling. Hyperfocal distance starts after just three meters (~10 feet), awesome for just frame and shoot (read = no need to focus). Definitely not a lens for people who want every shot to be technically brilliant, this one got a lot of "character".
Oh gawd
D:
I cant find one anywhere! I want that freakin 25mm for my GH2. I only do video on the GH2 though. Cant wait until they hack the GH2. Much progress has been made already :)

ChryZ

mr_nothin said:
Oh gawd
D:
I cant find one anywhere! I want that freakin 25mm for my GH2. I only do video on the GH2 though. Cant wait until they hack the GH2. Much progress has been made already :)
Yeah, I've seen people like Philip Bloom and Mike Kobal shoot video with that combo. They managed to get great results.

The first few production runs were sold out immediately, but now it seems that Cosina/Voigtländer is able to catch up with the demand. Here in Europe it's pretty easy to find them nowadays. Check out how they're made, awesome peek into production: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41VOEVqbTM

Getting more and more tempted by the X100 to replace my LX3 since reading that the firmware update fixed a lot of the issues with the camera. At first I thought a m4/3 or NEX would be the better choice because of the interchangeable lenses, but the last thing I want is a compact camera-like interface and they all seem to be moving in that direction. And the X100 carries less of a price premium now that you can't get a fast normal-ish prime in a kit with an M4/3/NEX camera anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom