• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rentahamster said:

Excellent, this is just the stuff I was looking for! Many good resources but not that many tutorial videos though. Anything of that sort you thought was helpful?

zombi said:
All you need to know is if you like it. If you do pick up a dslr and go experiment. Its the best way to get into it.

I'm definitely planning on doing that. Right now looking at T1i, but debating whether to take the plunge now or to wait till end of November for sales. Feeling a little itchy... might just pick it up... Are there generally deals in November right - Thanksgiving (Black Friday) as well as Christmas make me assume that i'll find it much cheaper within a month?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
iamcool388 said:
Excellent, this is just the stuff I was looking for! Many good resources but not that many tutorial videos though. Anything of that sort you thought was helpful?
I dunno about videos. It seems kinda hard to learn about camera stuff through video. Just read up and then go out and practice. For beginners, I think Ken Rockwell's site has a lot of good info.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

For more experienced photographers and pros, his advice is rather controversial, but again, for beginners, his advice is pretty sound.

As far as pricing goes, you can check price tracking sites like these:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/

You can see trends. Also, keep up with bargain sites like www.slickdeals.net to see any good deals.

As far as brand goes, both Canon and Nikon have decent enough offerings in the beginning DSLR category. If you're starting from scratch, you can't really go wrong with either one.

How much do people care about DSLR cameras? From what I understand, people can be very intimidated by them, and also not allow them in certain situations. I ask because I've narrowed down what I'm going to buy to two cameras, the Lumix DMC-FZ35 and the Lumix DMC-ZS3. (The fact that they're both Panasonic is mere coincidence.)

The former is by far the surperior camera based on reviews, impressions, specs, features, and test pictures and video. It has lots of manual control and everything, and for only 50 dollars more. However, the only problem I have with it is that it looks almost like a DSLR. It looks pretty intimidating, and I don't want people to not allow the use of this camera, or to be intimidated by it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that first one is just a superzoom bridge type camera. you'll be fine. It'll be tiny compared to a DSLR (although maybe similar to the smaller entry level ones)

main thing is it doesn't have removeable lenses, so its unlikely to get you refused entry to anywhere thats sensitive about 'professionals' (even though lots of 'normal' people have DSLRs), and you wont' have a big white lens attached to it.

Personally, unless you need the 18x zoom (and that can be handy sometimes) I'd recommend an entry level DSLR to almost anyone. They have auto modes, scene modes etc, and with something like an 18-200 zoom on they have great walkaround capability and you never need to swap lenses if thats intimidating.

And they are infinitely faster at actually taking photos - any compact cam is like wading through treacle in comparison. If you have kids thats the difference between a keeper and a completely missed shot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iamcool388 said:
What do you guys think even a casual hobbyist should know about photography before investing in a DSLR/taking up photography as a serious hobby. (I think there was a thread for tips and tutorials, but I couldnt find it... searched for 'photography' as well as 'camera.') I'd like to walk around and take pictures, as well as use the camera on trips/vacations. I only know of things like: Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO and rule of thirds.

What do you guys think of this website? I'd prefer video tutorials as I learn quicker that way, any good ones you guys would recommend?

just get one and have a play. Start with fully automatic modes, take photos and then look at the settings on your computer (what ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc) to get a feel for what they do. then try aperture priority and play with different settings with a still subject

Its pretty easy to get the basics sorted. They can seem intimidating but they aren't really.

mrklaw said:
that first one is just a superzoom bridge type camera. you'll be fine. It'll be tiny compared to a DSLR (although maybe similar to the smaller entry level ones)

main thing is it doesn't have removeable lenses, so its unlikely to get you refused entry to anywhere thats sensitive about 'professionals' (even though lots of 'normal' people have DSLRs), and you wont' have a big white lens attached to it.

Personally, unless you need the 18x zoom (and that can be handy sometimes) I'd recommend an entry level DSLR to almost anyone. They have auto modes, scene modes etc, and with something like an 18-200 zoom on they have great walkaround capability and you never need to swap lenses if thats intimidating.

And they are infinitely faster at actually taking photos - any compact cam is like wading through treacle in comparison. If you have kids thats the difference between a keeper and a completely missed shot.
Thanks very much for your input.
I guess you're right about the size. It is certainly smaller than what people would expect from professionals, so I guess I don't have to worry too much there.

Some reasons why I'm going with this over a DSLR is because of features like the video recording and superzoom, and also me trying to stay under 300 dollars. DSLRs certainly have an amazing image quality over something like what I picked, and while I'd personally love one, I can see myself using and benefiting more from the numerous features of this camera over the better image quality of a more expensive DSLR.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Why would you do that? said:
Thanks very much for your input.Some reasons why I'm going with this over a DSLR is because of features like the video recording and superzoom, and also me trying to stay under 300 dollars. DSLRs certainly have an amazing image quality over something like what I picked, and while I'd personally love one, I can see myself using and benefiting more from the numerous features of this camera over the better image quality of a more expensive DSLR.

I will say, one thing that these smaller cameras excel at are landscape images. Also taking beautiful pictures with things like the iPhone and other multi-function electronics is in vogue at the moment too. So basically, train the eye with a camera that doesn't require a big investment and then go on to an actual DSLR once you feel its to your advantage.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
I will say, one thing that these smaller cameras excel at are landscape images. Also taking beautiful pictures with things like the iPhone and other multi-function electronics is in vogue at the moment too. So basically, train the eye with a camera that doesn't require a big investment and then go on to an actual DSLR once you feel its to your advantage.

Nice advice. I started with a point and shoot, without any interest in photography. After I upgraded to another P&S (still not 'into' photography), my pictures got even better - nothing to do with the gear, just getting better from taking lots of images. Then the rest is history. Some of my P&S images are even better than my DSLR - mostly landscapes.

That's the thing with outdoor lighting on landscapes - you don't need super resolution (I don't mean sensor, I mean lens), just a keen eye, and good colour. P&S is great for that - also metering is easy to handle generally.

The biggest key is that you often have your P&S with you, so you take many more environmental shots, and just have a lot more - some are bound to be good. With an SLR, you kind of have to be planning to shoot something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Word on the street is that camera equipment rebates are coming in some form or another. Keep your eyes peeled.

http://www.bythom.com/

Looking Forward Towards Christmas
Oct 26 (commentary)--While there's been a lot of moaning about price increases lately, here in the US it doesn't look like the Christmas buying season is going to be much different than last year: rebates, both longer term and rotating.

Nikon appears to be readying a program whereby pretty much everything has an instant rebate on it at some point between now and the end of the year (sometimes just for a week, and sometimes very modest in amount). As with last year, the Nikon coop ads change each week, promoting different products. If you remember what your local dealer was doing last year, this year should be pretty much deja vu.

Canon, too, seems to be moving the same direction, only slightly more chaotically. Dealers can tell me pretty much what Nikon's rollout of incentives is going to look like through the end of the year, but seem to have more trouble following what Canon is up to. As one dealer put it to me "Canon's advertising support usually shows up two to three days after the program begins." The 50D and Xsi prices have already been adjusted. Other models seem to be destined for reduction, as well.

Bottom line: if you're thinking about buying a new product between now and the end of the year, you might want to wait a bit and look closely at the local dealer coop ads that should start appearing any day now.

Still, a word of warning: the currency situation is still highly volatile, and no one knows how "hot" or "cool" the US economy is going to be this Christmas, so there's a good chance that whatever the camera companies already have planned, they may have to adjust those plans. A really hot selling season coupled with a drop in the dollar's value would tend to get instant rebates cancelled or lowered in value. A really cool selling season with a relatively stable currency exchange would tend to increase the size and frequency of rebates. Still, the planning required to get coop advertising into the field means that the basics of each company's strategy is mostly predetermined. For Nikon, that means a different set of products being promoted each week between now and the end of the year. The Black Friday promotions are probably already locked in stone.

oatmeal said:
Methinks I'm going to buy a 7D soon...

Hmm...

At least, do not rush to buy it like Canon rushed it to market.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=139&modelid=19356&keycode=2112&id=60427

Service Notice: EOS 7D: Residual Image in Picture

We have confirmed that in certain camera settings and shooting conditions, the phenomenon described below may occur in images captured by the EOS 7D Digital SLR camera.

Canon is currently investigating and analyzing the cause of this phenomenon, and we are planning to release a firmware update to address this issue.

Once the support measures have been established, we will post the relevant information on our Web site.

mrkgoo

oatmeal

Banned
I have a Nikon D40 and want to take advantage of the video...

How's the lens that comes with it?

(EDIT)
Being new to America, will there be camera deals on Black Friday?

mrkgoo

oatmeal said:
I have a Nikon D40 and want to take advantage of the video...

How's the lens that comes with it?

(EDIT)
Being new to America, will there be camera deals on Black Friday?

Which lens?

I understand there are three lens kits:

A) EF 28-135 IS
B) EF-S 15-135 IS
C) EF-S 15-85 IS

My opinions (mostly uninformed):

A) Standard mid-range zoom that Canon bundles with XXD cameras. It's mean to be ok, but personally, I find the range to be uninteresting. 24mm on a crop is not wide enough for a walkaround for me, so 28 is even worse.

B) Budget cheapo. Not that hot from what I hear.

C) replacement to the very useful 17-85 IS. A fantastic range, and from what I have tried, seems pretty sharp and solid IS. I've been burnt on consumer-built lenses, so I'm weary of build, but it does seem solid. Expensive, though.

What do you mean 'take advantage of the video'? I think video is a very cool pipedream, but unless you are invested in spending the time to master it as opposed to just using it because it's there, it's not a reason to go for it. I know, because I'm the same. I like having it, but I've learnt videography takes a lot more than just 'wanting it'. The camera alone is inadequate for video, depending on what you want to shoot. Shakey cam plus you will need an external mic if you don't want to record general lens/camera handling noises. And no AF tracking -you pretty much have to do it manually.

Where are you from?

oatmeal

Banned
Where am I from? I'm in Vegas now...

I work in video production and the 7D/5D (and, as if i could afford it, 1D) would be a great tool to have. I can operate a camera just fine, I have been very impressed by some of the footage I have seen for these cameras.

I'd love to shoot a music video on it, and I'm shooting one in July that I have to travel out of country for...it would be much nicer to take this rather than lugging around a RED or my HVX200.

I'm not concerned about making the camera work... I'm just concerned with the glass that comes with it. That way I can just buy the body and buy my own lenses...

It seems like most kits I'm finding are the 28-135...so maybe I'll skip on that, unless I can find your option 3.

(EDIT)
:lol, I'm dumb. I'm from Canada.

mrkgoo

oatmeal said:
Where am I from? I'm in Vegas now...

I work in video production and the 7D/5D (and, as if i could afford it, 1D) would be a great tool to have. I can operate a camera just fine, I have been very impressed by some of the footage I have seen for these cameras.

I'd love to shoot a music video on it, and I'm shooting one in July that I have to travel out of country for...it would be much nicer to take this rather than lugging around a RED or my HVX200.

I'm not concerned about making the camera work... I'm just concerned with the glass that comes with it. That way I can just buy the body and buy my own lenses...

It seems like most kits I'm finding are the 28-135...so maybe I'll skip on that, unless I can find your option 3.

(EDIT)
:lol, I'm dumb. I'm from Canada.

Ah right. I'm from NZ, so getting gear here feels like a dream come true - like 30 cheaper across the board!

I see you have a fairly strong video background, so I'm sure you know what you're getting into. To be honest, apart from depth of field effects (ie wide aperture and quality of OOF blur), I'm not sure a lenses quality really comes through on video. The resolution is so low, that I would think that you'd never see any quality differences between lenses for video.

And just to make sure, I don't have any of those lenses. I'm not even sure if the the third one is actually available as a kit - it was just announced at the same time as the 7D. I have handled it, however. The IS seemed pretty silent - I wonder if they're developing that for use on video? I just know of focal range from my own collection.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
oatmeal said:

These are the lenses that "Reverie" was shot with.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326
EF Lenses used in the making of REVERIE:
FD 7.5mm f/5.6 (converted to EF mount)
EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
EF 135mm f/2L USM
EF 200mm f/1.8L USM
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF 500mm f/4L IS USM
TS-E 24mm f/3.5L
TS-E 45mm f/2.8

mrkgoo said:
I don't think it was rushed to market. It's just an odd quirk that wasn't picked up in testing. The fact that it shows up one month after release is an indication that it only happens in certain circumstances.

It's bad, for sure, but if it's correctible, no harm done.

I've been more than pleased with my 7D.

At the very least, any potential buyer should wait for Canon to correctly identify the problem, its cause and the appropriate fix (whether firmware upgrade or an actual repair). Something that hasn't happened yet. It's silly to buy the camera before that point.

Of course, you didn't know that when you bought yours and you haven't encountered the problem (as far as I know) so it's no issue for you.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Instigator said:
At the very least, any potential buyer should wait for Canon to correctly identify the problem, its cause and the appropriate fix (whether firmware upgrade or an actual repair). Something that hasn't happened yet. It's silly to buy the camera before that point.
No, it's not.

mrkgoo

Instigator said:

Of course, you didn't know that when you bought yours and you haven't encountered the problem (as far as I know) so it's no issue for you.
I agree it's probably prudent to wait if you're aware of the issue and that it's likely to affect your shooting.

But if it isn't, and you have a reason to get the camera soon, I don't see the harm if it's fixable by firmware.

Xmonkey: so when do you get to open and play?

Borman

Any recommendation for a cheap lens hood? I dont know if there are any real differences between them, but the best quality vs price would be nice :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
I agree it's probably prudent to wait if you're aware of the issue and that it's likely to affect your shooting.

But if it isn't, and you have a reason to get the camera soon, I don't see the harm if it's fixable by firmware.
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, The camera's still pretty great and it's not that big of a deal. Unless of you're a pro sports photographer or something who's getting paid.

But in that case, you're probably using a 1D or D3 instead, anyway.

Still, Canon has a troubling trend of firmware fixes after the fact.

1DMkIII focusing problems
5DMkII white dots
and now this 7D residual images thing.

BlueTsunami

oatmeal said:

Zeiss is known for their Cinema optics (Arri Zeiss Master Primes) and they're currently releasing Photography Primes for the Canon bodies. They're supposed to give you a rather unique look, different from what you'll get from Canon lenses (Neutral Color, Images that pop due to extreme microcontrast etc). So that's another option as far as lens go.

It goes to show you not to jump to preorder every untested camera out there. Wait for reviews, user feedback and for kinks, if any, to be ironed out.

I'd consider this a generally smart thing to do. You save money too in the process.

mrkgoo

Borman said:
Any recommendation for a cheap lens hood? I dont know if there are any real differences between them, but the best quality vs price would be nice :)
I don't know about cheap, but lens hoods are designed specifically for the focal range, normally optimized for the wide end. You have a canon, right? I'd look up the correct version, and maybe look for a knock-off. They might not be smooth to mount, may offer less protection, or may not have the internal surface the same, however. Which lens are you wanting it for?

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, The camera's still pretty great and it's not that big of a deal. Unless of you're a pro sports photographer or something who's getting paid.

But in that case, you're probably using a 1D or D3 instead, anyway.

Still, Canon has a troubling trend of firmware fixes after the fact.

1DMkIII focusing problems
5DMkII white dots
and now this 7D residual images thing.
The black dots On the 5d looked like a total non-issue to me.

However, I understand the af on the 1dmkiii was a deal breaker for many, particularly in the way canon handled it.

Just like anything, it can pay to wait. I don't know why I was so eager to snap up a 7d. I'm not disappointed, and I didn't preorder, but I did get it on day 1. I think the service and ability to bring it back for a full refund sold me.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Instigator said:
Have fun with your 7fps* continuous shooting then.

* may contain residual images.
If you have a need for the camera now, this shouldn't stop anyone from getting it. I've looked at hundreds of 7D images and read countless impressions/reviews and have seen this ghost image thing pop up all of 2 times, and the 2nd time you had to boost the levels way up to even see the ghost image.

Oh, and it's 8fps.

mrkgoo: They (Toyota) still need to talk with upper management before a decision can be made to go ahead, and I guess those management people are real busy lately, but I'm hopeful I'll hear something this week.

oatmeal

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Ah right. I'm from NZ, so getting gear here feels like a dream come true - like 30 cheaper across the board!

I see you have a fairly strong video background, so I'm sure you know what you're getting into. To be honest, apart from depth of field effects (ie wide aperture and quality of OOF blur), I'm not sure a lenses quality really comes through on video. The resolution is so low, that I would think that you'd never see any quality differences between lenses for video.

And just to make sure, I don't have any of those lenses. I'm not even sure if the the third one is actually available as a kit - it was just announced at the same time as the 7D. I have handled it, however. The IS seemed pretty silent - I wonder if they're developing that for use on video? I just know of focal range from my own collection.

1080p is plenty big for video. And the shallow depth of field is worth its weight in gold.

I bought my HVX200 for 8 grand (in a kit with a bag/mic/p2 card/etc.), and I can't get shit for shallow DOF.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Borman said:
Cheap? How cheap you need it to be? Construction paper taped into a cylinder shape and stuck to the front of your lens is pretty cheap.

mrkgoo said:
The black dots On the 5d looked like a total non-issue to me.

However, I understand the af on the 1dmkiii was a deal breaker for many, particularly in the way canon handled it.
Yeah, the dots thing wasn't that bad. I was just pointing out a trend. The MarkIII AF thing was the only significant problem.

oatmeal

Banned
So back to my question...

Will there be any camera deals on Black Friday? Like are there certain items that usually get big sales, or is it all pretty random?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
captive said:
261 dollars to get my 50-200 f2.8 fixed. :(
Moral of the story dont let your lens fall out of your bag onto concrete.
Woo got my lens back! Well, not actually mine. Olympus sent me a brand new 50-200 f2.8 swd.
I <3 Olympus customer service.

they haven't charged my card yet.... but even if they do 260 and get a brand new lens is awesome considering it was completely my fault.

mrkgoo

captive said:
Woo got my lens back! Well, not actually mine. Olympus sent me a brand new 50-200 f2.8 swd.
I <3 Olympus customer service.

they haven't charged my card yet.... but even if they do 260 and get a brand new lens is awesome considering it was completely my fault.
That's awesome. My 17-55 is on my doorstep after the 6th service from canon. I specifically asked if I could just dump it and even pay more to get even a refurbished one instead of getting the same bum one repaired, and they said no :(

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
That's awesome. My 17-55 is on my doorstep after the 6th service from canon. I specifically asked if I could just dump it and even pay more to get even a refurbished one instead of getting the same bum one repaired, and they said no :(

This is the 17-55/2.8? Really sucks that that lens has been giving you issues. I was looking at slrgear's website and sharpness mapping of that lens recently and its damn sharp!

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
This is the 17-55/2.8? Really sucks that that lens has been giving you issues. I was looking at slrgear's website and sharpness mapping of that lens recently and its damn sharp!
Yeah optically it is amazing. F/2.8 with sharpness and contrast throughout the focal and aperture range. CombiNed with IS, few other lenses can match the versatility of this lens. Wide, portrait, landscapes, narrow dof, low light. It can do it all. It actuall replace so many lenses in one.

Too bad I find the build very poor. Dust issues, zoom creep, and both the af and is has malfunctioned twice each. Most people say that I got a real lemon deal out of this but canon doesn't think so, so I'm stuck with servicing it twice a year. I feel so defeated from this lens that I may never buy a consumer grade lens again.

BlueTsunami

mrkgoo said:
Yeah optically it is amazing. F/2.8 with sharpness and contrast throughout the focal and aperture range. CombiNed with IS, few other lenses can match the versatility of this lens. Wide, portrait, landscapes, narrow dof, low light. It can do it all. It actuall replace so many lenses in one.

Too bad I find the build very poor. Dust issues, zoom creep, and both the af and is has malfunctioned twice each. Most people say that I got a real lemon deal out of this but canon doesn't think so, so I'm stuck with servicing it twice a year. I feel so defeated from this lens that I may never buy a consumer grade lens again.

Canon should definitely implement some protocol that allows a person to get a new lens in place of the old trouble one (as you tried to have done). That many returns is ridiculous. It seem as though if this were any other piece of electronic, the company would give the consumer a new tested product as a courtesy for their troubles.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Camera guys! Here is my humble request:

Please suggest "Rebel" or similar Digital SLR and a well-liked low-light, big Aperture lens to match for wife. She is taking up photography but will get bored with it within the year. Resolution is irrelevant so 10.1 would be fine, for example. Seems like I don't really need to go lower for a bargain.

I want to spend as little as possible and get as much as possible for the money. Ideally I'd be spending $700-ish, but can go up a bit and down a lot*.

*Anyone who suggests modifying an antique Hasselblad for digital back goes on my ignore list. There are loads of good cheap options.

mrkgoo

OuterWorldVoice said:

Please suggest "Rebel" or similar Digital SLR and a well-liked low-light, big Aperture lens to match for wife. She is taking up photography but will get bored with it within the year. Resolution is irrelevant so 10.1 would be fine, for example. Seems like I don't really need to go lower for a bargain.

I want to spend as little as possible and get as much as possible for the money. Ideally I'd be spending $700-ish, but can go up a bit and down a lot*.

*Anyone who suggests modifying an antique Hasselblad for digital back goes on my ignore list. There are loads of good cheap options.
Any rebel series dslr plus canon ef 50mm f/1.8 (~$100). Seems to fit your criteria.

Blurtsunami: yeah I wanted some grace for thi lens but phone centre would have none of it. They just said if I wasn't going to repair it they would send it back. I said but track record dictates this will break again! The supervisor just unformed me he didn't have a crystal ball and repairs come with a warranty anyway.

BlueTsunami

OuterWorldVoice said:

Anything from the Rebel line with a 50mm f/1.8 lens

So the Canon Rebel XSi ($599 with Kit Lens that has Image Stabilization): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012YA85A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Canon 50mm f/1.8 ($92 for low light shooting): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've personally been shooting with a Rebel XT and Canon 50mm f/1.4 for the past year and a half.

giga

OuterWorldVoice said:

d3000 and kit http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

35 1.8 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2PPT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

OuterWorldVoice said:

Maybe a Panasonic GF1 + 20mm f1.7 kit? It's probably in the pricier side of your options at $900, but it has the advantage of being small and light compared to a DSLR, so if your wife gets tired of photography as a hobby she can still use the GF1 as a snapshot camera she can take anywhere.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
giga said:
If it was me, I'd probably just get the older D40 and save $70 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

It's too bad, though, the D40 used to be selling on Amazon for $400. In addition to the inevitable decrease of supply, it seems demand for this camera has increased slightly?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrkgoo said:
Man that sucks. you would think they'd just give you a new copy after like 2 repairs that werent your fault. Customer service is about doing right by the customer within reason.

mrkgoo

captive said:
Man that sucks. you would think they'd just give you a new copy after like 2 repairs that werent your fault. Customer service is about doing right by the customer within reason.
You would think so. Can't blame them since I am just schleb with an out of warranty lens. I also bought it in new Zealand too, so even less likely they'd want to help me.

That said my lens feels like new again. I'm going to keep my 17-40 as my general lens and keep the 17-55 for indoor or all-in-one stuff.

In other news, I suspected my expodisc was making slightly warm white balances for me so I contacted expo imaging. They asked for me to send it in. They checked it and agreed. They then replaced the filters, sent it back with a new lanyard and some gummy frogs. My expodisc is three years old so out of warranty, so for them to do this is so great. Some of the best customer service I've ever had.

So i guess you win some and you lose some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom