• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
You would think so. Can't blame them since I am just schleb with an out of warranty lens. I also bought it in new Zealand too, so even less likely they'd want to help me.

That said my lens feels like new again. I'm going to keep my 17-40 as my general lens and keep the 17-55 for indoor or all-in-one stuff.
Unless you're a member of their pro service, Canon and Nikon don't really pay you that much attention. I have, however, had out of warranty items and damaged items fixed for free when they didn't have to by Nikon even though I'm not an NPS member. YMMV, I guess.

giga

Rentahamster said:
If it was me, I'd probably just get the older D40 and save $70 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

It's too bad, though, the D40 used to be selling on Amazon for $400. In addition to the inevitable decrease of supply, it seems demand for this camera has increased slightly?
I recommended the d3000 over the d40 because of the VR kit. Felt it was worth the $70 investment, especially for a beginner.

(back in my days, we didn't have stabimalization photowhatnots!)

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Unless you're a member of their pro service, Canon and Nikon don't really pay you that much attention. I have, however, had out of warranty items and damaged items fixed for free when they didn't have to by Nikon even though I'm not an NPS member. YMMV, I guess.

I've had Canon USA do a courtesy repair in February 2009, but that was because I had Canon NZ do a repair in November of 2008 - at that time I told them I was moving, and they said that Canon USA should honour the repair warranty. I took them up on it when it broke again. So in that vein, I don't consider it a courtesy repair, but that's what Canon USA call it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
giga said:
I recommended the d3000 over the d40 because of the VR kit. Felt it was worth the $70 investment, especially for a beginner.

(back in my days, we didn't have stabimalization photowhatnots!)
Yeah, that's what I figured. It would have been more of an enthusiastic recommendation if the D40 were still selling at $400, but at $458, there's not that much difference anymore. $70 is decent for the VR kit lens and more AF points.

Okay so I'm about to enter the dslr market. And I have decided that it'll be with a Canon EOS 500D.

Now I found a good site which had it pretty cheap (only saves a couple of bucks compared to the retail price, but that's... better than the retail price).

Today it was temporary sold out and instead you can get the Kit product with the standard EF-S 18-55mm IS lens.

As I said I'm new to this market and is still learning stuff. I haven't done that much research on lenses. For now I can only afford to buy the body of a 500D (or the kit mentioned above), and my plan is to buy a good lens later on.

But is the standard lens that comes with the kit worth it anyway? The kit isn't that expensive really, so it's a great deal to get the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens really cheap. But if I'm gonna buy a better lens in the future anyway there might not be any reason to get the kit?

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to shoot with it!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Metroid Killer said:
But is the standard lens that comes with the kit worth it anyway? The kit isn't that expensive really, so it's a great deal to get the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens really cheap. But if I'm gonna buy a better lens in the future anyway there might not be any reason to get the kit?
The kit lens is fine. It works best in daylight.

I highly recommend getting the 50mm f1.8 lens. It is only about $100 bucks, it is very sensitive to light, can take great pictures in the dark that your kit lens cannot, and it creates sharper pics than the kit lens.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I believe there is also a promotion going on where you can get a filter for free or something. I'm not too clear on the details.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1635880

VNZ

Metroid Killer said:
Okay so I'm about to enter the dslr market. And I have decided that it'll be with a Canon EOS 500D.

Now I found a good site which had it pretty cheap (only saves a couple of bucks compared to the retail price, but that's... better than the retail price).

Today it was temporary sold out and instead you can get the Kit product with the standard EF-S 18-55mm IS lens.

As I said I'm new to this market and is still learning stuff. I haven't done that much research on lenses. For now I can only afford to buy the body of a 500D (or the kit mentioned above), and my plan is to buy a good lens later on.

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to shoot with it!
I have exactly ONE photo that I made with the kit lens in my Lightroom catalogue. I guess it's really not that bad though, it's just that I bought a Sigma 30mm/1.4 at the same time and that one is much more fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
buy the kit. A lot of people slag off the kit lenses, but they're more likely to be more experienced/demanding photographers who have progressed beyond it. Its a great starter lens (the newer IS version even more so) and it'll do you just fine.

Play with it for a while until you learn whether you need more quality, whether you want faster/wider/longer etc. That'll help you when you are ready to expand your lens collection.

nib95

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the 85mm 1.2L II? It's either that or the 70-200mm 2.8L IS. Which I'm not liking the idea of due to the size in weight. But both would be mainly used for Portraits and indoor shooting (the 70-200 having the advantage of out door shooting zooms etc).

What do you guys think? I currently have a 24-70 2.8L and a 50 1.4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
nib95 said:
Anyone have any experience with the 85mm 1.2L II? It's either that or the 70-200mm 2.8 IS. Which I'm not liking the idea of due to the size in weight. But both would be mainly used for Portraits and indoor shooting.

What do you guys think? I currently have a 24-70 2.8L and a 50 1.4.

I bought a 70-200 f4IS because the 2.8IS was just too damn heavy. Seemed even heavier than my 100-400L IS. I don't see how it could ever have been a part of my camera bag. Although studio/indoor shooting that might not be an issue.

Both are supposed to be perfect wedding lenses, but a lot depends on your usage. You already have 50mm and wider fairly well covered, so I'd be tempted to go with the 70-200 if you have the room to use it, or can use it to give you range (eg shooting kids and want some distance).
I think the 85 1.2 is supposed to be quite slow at focusing as well which might be an issue depending on your subjects.

You could go for the 70-200 2.8 non IS if its indoors, and make sure your lighting is enough to not need it and/or use a tripod. Then pick up the 85 1.8 as an alternative to the 1.2

nib95

Banned
mrklaw said:
I bought a 70-200 f4IS because the 2.8IS was just too damn heavy. Seemed even heavier than my 100-400L IS. I don't see how it could ever have been a part of my camera bag. Although studio/indoor shooting that might not be an issue.

Both are supposed to be perfect wedding lenses, but a lot depends on your usage. You already have 50mm and wider fairly well covered, so I'd be tempted to go with the 70-200 if you have the room to use it, or can use it to give you range (eg shooting kids and want some distance).
I think the 85 1.2 is supposed to be quite slow at focusing as well which might be an issue depending on your subjects.

You could go for the 70-200 2.8 non IS if its indoors, and make sure your lighting is enough to not need it and/or use a tripod. Then pick up the 85 1.8 as an alternative to the 1.2

Is the non IS 2.8 much lighter? If not, I'm not fussed. Main thing was the size, which would likey not only take up stupid room in my bag, but weight too. I did hear of the 85mm 1.2L's AF speed issues, but heard v II is twice as fast as the old version. I did also look at the non 2.8 version, but I use lower f stops a lot, due to low light and the need for more bokeh. So unfortunately that's out of the options.

Decisions decisions....

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
nib95 said:
Is the non IS 2.8 much lighter? If not, I'm not fussed. Main thing was the size, which would likey not only take up stupid room in my bag, but weight too. I did hear of the 85mm 1.2L's AF speed issues, but heard v II is twice as fast as the old version. I did also look at the non 2.8 version, but I use lower f stops a lot, due to low light and the need for more bokeh. So unfortunately that's out of the options.

Decisions decisions....

The 85/1.2 II is faster than the first version but relative to Canon's speedier lenses, its still kind of slow (which isn't surprising, considering the large glass it has to move around). I believe you can still track movement but its certainly no sports lens.

Futureman

I got a Canon 5DII. I'm in love.

I managed to find a Best Buy with it in stock (according to Best Buy they don't sell this camera in stores anymore). This netted me $270 off w/ a 10% off coupon. I went to Best Buy to order one and pick up a hard drive, and the guy was like, "You know, we can ship it to you, but we have one in stock." I literally freaked out. Awesome. I watched the lady look it up on the computer and I saw her scroll through literally 20 or so stores and all had it listed as "0" in stock. $2,600 even after tax.

The camera feels so amazingly robust in my hands. Maybe this has to do with my old 5D being second hand and 4 or so years old, but damn, I love how the 5DII feels. Screen is beautiful, Live View is AWESOME, video is going to be so fun, 21 MP is going to be awesome for large prints, better low light performance than my now sold 5D, sensor cleaning, etc. Using Live View and zooming in to get precise focus is so sick.

Also, I managed to sell my 5D for $1,250 to a local photographer. I paid $1,200 for it in January 2008!

mrkgoo

Futureman said:
I got a Canon 5DII. I'm in love.

I managed to find a Best Buy with it in stock (according to Best Buy they don't sell this camera in stores anymore). This netted me $270 off w/ a 10% off coupon. I went to Best Buy to order one and pick up a hard drive, and the guy was like, "You know, we can ship it to you, but we have one in stock." I literally freaked out. Awesome. I watched the lady look it up on the computer and I saw her scroll through literally 20 or so stores and all had it listed as "0" in stock. $2,600 even after tax.

The camera feels so amazingly robust in my hands. Maybe this has to do with my old 5D being second hand and 4 or so years old, but damn, I love how the 5DII feels. Screen is beautiful, Live View is AWESOME, video is going to be so fun, 21 MP is going to be awesome for large prints, better low light performance than my now sold 5D, sensor cleaning, etc. Using Live View and zooming in to get precise focus is so sick.

Also, I managed to sell my 5D for $1,250 to a local photographer. I paid $1,200 for it in January 2008!

Congrats! Glad you didn't have to finance your life away!

It's funny, I visit Best But fairly often, and they have a couple of 5DmkII bodies since forever (Oregon). Even when they were on special for $2,499 (and Oregon has no Sales Tax).

Zyzyxxz

yay I have a Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR on the way!

It may not be as high end as what some of you have but I feel it will complement my setup right now which is mainly a D40 with a AF-S 35mm F1.8 and the kit lense.

Really been wanting some sort of zoom lens to capture far away subjects.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zyzyxxz said:
yay I have a Nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR on the way!

It may not be as high end as what some of you have but I feel it will complement my setup right now which is mainly a D40 with a AF-S 35mm F1.8 and the kit lense.

Really been wanting some sort of zoom lens to capture far away subjects.
Nice. That and the 70-300 zoom lens are pretty damn sharp for the price.

Now you can take nice portraits with blurred out backgrounds with that lens as well. Just zoom in and step back.

BlueTsunami

For you guys into really long lenses and don't mind manual focusing and having to deal with small apertures (basically relegating it to a sunny day/tripod lens), check these out...

Samyang 500mm f/6.3 TDX Phenix Ultra Telephoto Manual Focus Mirror Lens $178.95

Phoenix 800mm f/8 TDX Phoenix Ultra Telephoto Manual Focus Mirror Lens $219.95

They require a T-Mount (that is sold separately) but even then the cost is still relatively very low when placed against tradition glass lenses of these focal lengths. For the price, it seems like something cool to have on hand if you want lots of reach.

Zyzyxxz

BlueTsunami said:
For you guys into really long lenses and don't mind manual focusing and having to deal with small apertures (basically relegating it to a sunny day/tripod lens), check these out...

Samyang 500mm f/6.3 TDX Phenix Ultra Telephoto Manual Focus Mirror Lens $178.95

Phoenix 800mm f/8 TDX Phoenix Ultra Telephoto Manual Focus Mirror Lens $219.95

They require a T-Mount (that is sold separately) but even then the cost is still relatively very low when placed against tradition glass lenses of these focal lengths. For the price, it seems like something cool to have on hand if you want lots of reach.

any sample shots? I've been very curious about these but I feel they are only good if you know the distance you are shooting at.

Otherwise you gotta move around alot.

Rentahamster said:
Nice. That and the 70-300 zoom lens are pretty damn sharp for the price.

Now you can take nice portraits with blurred out backgrounds with that lens as well. Just zoom in and step back.

I think the 35mm has a pretty nice bokeh so I'll definitely try it to compare when I get it.

BlueTsunami

Zyzyxxz said:
any sample shots? I've been very curious about these but I feel they are only good if you know the distance you are shooting at.

Otherwise you gotta move around alot.

Here's a link showing some images with the 500mm on a 5DMKII

http://canon-board.info/showthread.php?t=46304

Also, I believe the Aperture is fixed too? (so no stopping down). Not that stopping down is all that important with such a small max aperture.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zyzyxxz said:
I think the 35mm has a pretty nice bokeh so I'll definitely try it to compare when I get it.
Not just the bokeh (it's just okay), but more of the fact that people look better when photographed with a longer lens. It doesn't distort their features so much as wider lenses do.
Futureman said:
actually just looked up an email. $1,300. Though still, a $50 loss in value over 18 months is sick.
That's swine flu sick. 1.3 grand for that body nearly 2 years ago was a great deal (as long as it was in acceptable condition). Considering that you sold it again for $50 bucks less is awesome. It's like you rented a 5D for 2 years for $50. Very slick.

mrkgoo

Some news, courtesy of dpreview:

Canon release 7D ghostbuster firmware update:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09110502canon7d.asp

Olympus unveil E-P2 only five months after landmark E-P1 (microfour-thirds interchangeable lens system). Plus two new lenses for it. Electronic viewfinder add-on as standard and AF tracking:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09110501olympusep2.asp

Sony firmware 1.10 for DSLR A3xx, now with exposure lock on subject for spot metering:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09110504sonyfirmware.asp

Zyzyxxz

I was surprised at the unveiling of the EP-2 so soon after the EP-1 was released.

Still black looks nice and the viewfinder is now standard, although the camera costs much more.

giga

They increased the price of the E-P? Fuck off Olympus. Doesn't even looked like they addressed the slow AF either.

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
For you guys interested in how lenses are manufactured (or Canon's at least), here's a link to a video showing the manufacturing process...

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/l_plant/index.html

Yeah, I saw that a while ago - it's so amazing to see it get done all the way through. HAven't seen the glass melting/annealing, however. Thanks for posting.

The canon-museum is actually a pretty good site in general. Lots of information.

mrkgoo

captive said:
Whats you're color IQ?
I scored a 7, lower the score the better.

http://www.xritephoto.com/ph_toolframe.aspx?action=coloriq

I did this a while ago, but not sure what I got then.

I just did it again now:

2zhhc1t.png

(4)

oatmeal

Banned
Ordered a 7D, it should be arriving tomorrow via Amazon.

Got an 8 GB Kingston 133x card with it.

Will use this mainly for video, but I'd like to learn photography a bit too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Rentahamster said:
Sweet.

People with cheap monitors will have trouble with this test.
somehow I'm not surprised you got a perfect score.

I did it on my Dell 19" widescreen at work.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Rentahamster said:
Yeah, the MacBook Pro's IPS panel is much better at color reproduction than the regular MacBook's TN panel.

I had all my problems in the green/blue section. Which makes sense given the yellowish cast to by Macbook's screen. I should try it again on my big LG, which is much better calibrated.

mrkgoo

Curiosity: What camera bags/storage are you guys touting? It is my contention that most photographers are obsessed with bags.

I like to have bags that don't scream "I have an expensive DSLR on my person!", so I've enjoyed the Crumpler bags.

I originally started with a Crumpler 2million dollar home, which basically just fit my 350D and kit lens (or other small lens):

CL2MDHBRO.JPG

But after getting a 17-55 and more lenses, I moved up to a 6million dollar home (and wen t black):

CL6MDHBKM.JPG

I teamed it with my Crumpler Sinking Barge when I needed to carry my laptop around as well.

crumpler-sinking-barge.jpg

That said, it's bulky, so I've recently been just using a small standard backpack, but using the padded insert from my Crumpler backpack.

What do you guys carry around your stuff in?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
mrkgoo said:

An old, beat up Lowepro that's too small to carry around my camera and more than one lens. I need a new bag.

18-2176-IMG1_LRG.jpeg

DJ_Lae

mrkgoo said:
I originally started with a Crumpler 2million dollar home, which basically just fit my 350D and kit lens (or other small lens)

Great bags. I've got the Four million dollar home, which is just big enough for my D40, kit lens, 55-200 lens, and flash tucked down at the base.

Okay, so 'just big enough' is more cramped than anything, but if I upgrade to a larger one I'll have a ton of wasted space that I'll be tempted to fit.

I have a little Crumpler Bundle bag for my camcorder, too.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
mrkgoo said:
Do you know what the new MBPs/ MBs have?
I would still think it's IPS/TN, although I'm not totally sure.

According to Anandtech's review, though, the MB's screen is better than the old one. As for the MBP, the screen is good, but you only have the choice of glossy.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=5

Reflections-a-plenty on the new display; while the brightness somewhat makes up for it the display is still more distracting than not when outside. I still prefer the glossy displays indoors thus in my opinion the best balance was actually the previous generation MacBook Pro's glossy display. The new one is just a little too nuts - unfortunately you don't really have a choice.

The MacBook gets a bit darker but nothing near as bad as what we saw with the old MacBook, showing the sort of improvement that Apple has made this generation. The new MacBook finally has an acceptable display. While I wouldn't consider the old MacBook because of the display, the new one is improved enough that I'd actually be ok with it. I've written most of this review on the new MacBook and while the old one would've frustrated me by this point, the new one was just fine.

captive said:
somehow I'm not surprised you got a perfect score.

I did it on my Dell 19" widescreen at work.
Hm? Why not? I don't think I ever mentioned what monitor I use.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Rentahamster said:
Hm? Why not? I don't think I ever mentioned what monitor I use.
Because of how many tips and recommendations you've made about Lightroom. I would have expected that you would get a good score on that test just because you know your stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
captive said:
Because of how many tips and recommendations you've made about Lightroom. I would have expected that you would get a good score on that test just because you know your stuff.
Oh, hahaha, right. I see what you mean. Thanks :D

tomjr

mrkgoo said:

I've been using a Crumpler 5 MDH and a 6 MDH. I have a couple of Domkes and a large Tenba as my 'mothership'. The only Lowepro bag I have left is the Rezo 170.

Here is my Domke J-3. It's got lots of space and it's just about tall enough to handle the 70-200 2.8 IS. Solid bag. I use the Crumplers when I don't want to haul a lot of gear.

dj3_full.jpg

dj3_open70a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom