• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Gah! I'm kinda regretting not pre-ordering earlier now, the PS3 is fully booked everywhere in Sweden (online at least). Guess I'll have to go out hunting on Tuesday.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The hype. Arrrrrrhahahahaljadjkhdaljhfas.

I'm going to get a 360. How bad does the arcade edition suck? I can still get a hard drive for it, right?

lexdysia

Banned
-viper- said:
What is the health system like?

Same as COD4/Uncharted/Gears or a traditional based health system out of 100??

It is a circle around the radar. The left (green half) is health, the right (blue) half is armor.

lexdysia

Banned
My 360 rrod'd two days ago. So I ran to the Gamestop preordered GTA 4 for PS3 and bought the system. I will get the Dual Shock 3 with the money from my Xbox 360 gta preorder (from another store) lol.

Oldschoolgamer said:
One more question. Does this one have the newer fixes to the mobo/whatever? This one isn't as likely to die on me is it?

There are many arcane ways to make sure you're getting a newer model, but someone else will have to get into those details, as I'm quite green when it comes to that.

One item of note, I've heard that an HDD does improve performance thanks to caching, so it might be worth it to scrounge up a game or two for trade (or whatever) to get the Pro version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DO NOT BUY AN ARCADE UNIT.

Trust me, if you're going 360, you absolutely must go Pro. Some games don't even allow you to go online without an HDD (Burnout Paradise being one).

lexdysia said:
My 360 rrod'd two days ago. So I ran to the Gamestop preordered GTA 4 for PS3 and bought the system. I will get the Dual Shock 3 with the money from my Xbox 360 gta preorder (from another store) lol.

Add me if you want- chubigans. :D

-viper-

Banned
lexdysia said:
It is a circle around the radar. The left (green half) is health, the right (blue) half is armor.
Does it re-generate or must you hunt down for health packs?

I hope this game isn't TOO difficult - I've not played any GTA games previously and judging by reviews they sound difficult. Punishingly difficult.

BenjaminBirdie said:
SPOILER PROPOSAL

In this hectic time of the release of one of our medium's finest games, I propose that we take not only great care not to spoil spoilery spoilers, but to also help our friends who may have gotten to a certain point in the game but not further.

To this end, I propose that before a particular spoiler, you note where in the game you are, in the following format:

MISSION STRING/MISSION # IN THAT STRING

For example:

ESCUELA/03
ASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGFASDGF

Can we do this? Can we all pledge to do this?

I think this thread will be all the better for it.

Practicing:

"Why did I highlight that text!!"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
-viper- said:

I hope this game isn't TOO difficult - I've not played any GTA games previously and judging by reviews they sound difficult. Punishingly difficult.

You hunt for health, buying food on the street and such. No regenerating health (I'm not even sure if Body Armor from the last games are in it).

-viper- said:

I haven't seen any signs of regeneration. I think you need a burger or hot dog. Perhaps a knish.

Brashnir

chubigans said:
You hunt for health, buying food on the street and such. No regenerating health (I'm not even sure if Body Armor from the last games are in it).

since the health bar only takes up half of the circle when full, I imagine body armor completes the circle when worn. But that's just speculation. I haven't seen anyone using it on any of the feeds.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Thanks everyone. I know what I must do!

chubigans said:
DO NOT BUY AN ARCADE UNIT.

Trust me, if you're going 360, you absolutely must go Pro. Some games don't even allow you to go online without an HDD (Burnout Paradise being one).

Add me if you want- chubigans. :D

I don't have moneys for all of that and the 60 game.

gillty

Banned
Brashnir said:
since the health bar only takes up half of the circle when full, I imagine body armor completes the circle when worn. But that's just speculation. I haven't seen anyone using it on any of the feeds.
yes you are correct.

qirex99

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
One more question. Does this one have the newer fixes to the mobo/whatever? This one isn't as likely to die on me is it?
yeah there was some lot#, build date, team "FDOU" you used to have to do...

butnow basically, ANY 2008 (or late 2007) WILL be a falcon.

After MS hardware supply ish after the holidays, most everything new is a falcon.

If the sticker on the OUTSIDE of the box sez "165w" its DEF a falcon. Some falcons have a build date of 2008 and STILL say 220w, they are STILL falcons.

2008 = your'ee good, 2007 + 165w = you're good.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Alright, I've registered for a Silver Live account, and I'll be online first day with that free month long membership that comes with the game. Can you add friends with Silver? If so: SpeedinUptoStop

painey

Iamthegamer said:
Alright, I've registered for a Silver Live account, and I'll be online first day with that free month long membership that comes with the game. Can you add friends with Silver? If so: SpeedinUptoStop

are you buying an Xbox 360 for the first time Tuesday for GTA? Because if you sign up for a gamertag through the 360 you will get a free month right away, if you recover your gamertag you just made you wont get the free month.

Sylar

Banned
Thrakier said:
Plz say it's not true because I read it too...I don't know why I did it. :(

Well it doesn't really make sense anyways. We know he's an immigrant. Why would he be a LCPD cop?

Whatever. I'm just glad I still don't know who the special someone is.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
painey said:
are you buying an Xbox 360 for the first time Tuesday for GTA? Because if you sign up for a gamertag through the 360 you will get a free month right away, if you recover your gamertag you just made you wont get the free month.
No, I've had it for a while now, and I already signed up via the site and started adding people.

Sylar

Banned
Thrakier said:
Why not? Maybe he wants revenge and so he had contact to the cops...

Hmmm...I dunno. i think i'm going to do my best to try and forget that niko might be a cop.
:lol

Eric WK

Himuro said:
Added you to XBL, Iamthegamer! :D

Guys, I don't think I'll be able to play with you. At least, not close to release. I've had problems with XBL lately. My card was declined when I had Gold, and now for some reason I owe them a fee and I can't get on XBL until then.

Will the Free XBL Gold that comes with GTAIV allow me to have get online and I'll go back to having no gold after the month is up?

Or will I not be able to use it the Free XBL Gold until I straighten this out and pay the fucks?

No. It's for new accounts only. At least that's how they've always been in the past.

Top Bottom