• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Jtwo said:
I've been in and out of the double exp weekend playlist, but I don't really anything that would hold my attention. And obviously, I was joking.

Last night I was watching a live feed of the game, while playing GTAVCS and it just got a little weird. I even had a GTA inspired dream.

Though, I would like Smodcast to come out so I could have something to keep my mind off my game boner for a bit.
I know what you mean, I was thinking about GTA all last night and couldn't sleep. One more sleep (that is if I can find a ride to a midnight opening)

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
dedhead54 said:
Since I haven't read, talked, or watched enough about this game, I will now take 55 minutes to listen to other people talk about it! Thanks. :D
They literally go in depth about everything, without any sort of spoilers. The conversation is so smooth, the transitions are all natural. if this happens all the time with IGN podcasts, I'm a follower for life.

Iamthegamer said:
They literally go in depth about everything, without any sort of spoilers. The conversation is so smooth, the transitions are all natural. if this happens all the time with IGN podcasts, I'm a follower for life.

I was going to listen to it but I want everything to be a surprise, I'm already violating my promise of not going on any sort of forums until after the game is released. I've already seen some gifs and it has spoiled some of the surprise element. I think I'm outtie.

newsguy

disappeared said:
True. I just thought I'd take a trip down memory lane before jumping into what might be one of the biggest games in years.

Oh by all means do it. It will be hella awesome to catch little things that you remember from part III. R* said they would throw things in there for fans so it will be sweet to know them.

Smokey

The game does seem easier though than previous GTAs, although this could be because they finally have a decent aiming system.

There's just so much to do. So many side missions and mini games to participate in. Drunk driving REALLY does fuck with you, no matter how hard you try to fight it:lol

Smokey Bones said:
The game does seem easier though than previous GTAs, although this could be because they finally have a decent aiming system.

There's just so much to do. So many side missions and mini games to participate in. Drunk driving REALLY does fuck with you, no matter how hard you try to fight it:lol

I'm just glad they have an auto-save in place now. I can't remember how many times I'd complete a mission, and then accidentally die by some completely random scenario before I could get back to a save point.

SpeedingUptoStop

"I'm flying an attack helicopter and Little Jacob calls me up and I'm like WHAAAT? and he's like 'hey man, you wanna go drinking?' and I'm like 'I'm getting kind busy right now...'":lol :lol

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but be careful on youtube. The random videos at the top could have a spoiler of some kind. I remember two characters from super smash bros brawl were spoiled for me because of a random video on the top of the screen.

Tobor

Smokey Bones said:

This is excellent news.

newsguy

Smokey Bones said:

No question. Vice City Stories, picking up your cousin from the airport.......... NEVER FORGET.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
newsguy said:
No question. Vice City Stories, picking up your cousin from the airport.......... NEVER FORGET.

Luckily I got past that mission after 3 tries, but the one where you have to kill all biker dudes... NEVER FORGET

still stuck on it.

zaidr said:
This is just too much meme in one post for me. I get it until "Confirmed"...but whats "oh, wait" mean in this case?

Gerstmann is no longer there, they have no integrity, etc.

And I have to agree, it probably was a bit too much.

Tobor

zaidr said:
This is just too much meme in one post for me. I get it until "Confirmed"...but whats "oh, wait" mean in this case?

They fired or accepted resignations from every editor who dared to review games on merit, so a score lower than 9 for a flagship game is now impossible.

zaidr

Jtwo said:
Luckily I got past that mission after 3 tries, but the one where you have to kill all biker dudes... NEVER FORGET

still stuck on it.

I can't remember, is that before or after the "pick up random shit with our helicopter magnet, and them chase a fucking car thats swerving around trying to get away from bikers". NEVER FORGET.

Ploid 3.0

keyrat said:
So...am I the only one who enjoys playing with cheats more than without? How are these people who have it early maximizing their enjoyment without them?

edit: n/m http://www.gamewinners.com/Cheats/index.php/Grand_Theft_Auto_4_(PlayStation3)

I do, but I first put in at least 100 hours or get far enough in the story where I just feel like I paid my gaming dues. Then I start having rampage fun with never ending awesome convenient codes. There's nothing like being able to slap a po po around then take his car with no worries at all. I do hope codes aren't able to be slipped into MP though :(

Tobor

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Now I'm sad because I never did play the Stories games, and now it looks like I never will because after GTAIV I'm assuming going back will be impossible.

I'm waiting for the Wii collector's editions. /crosses fingers

SpeedingUptoStop

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Now I'm sad because I never did play the Stories games, and now it looks like I never will because after GTAIV I'm assuming going back will be impossible.
How much were they worth playing anyways? Somebody spoil the stories for me.

kylej

Banned
Put over 100 hours into LCS. Didn't like VCS as much, though the changes to the city were interesting after 700+ hours of PS2 Vice City.

I think I've played too much GTA.

Ripclawe

Banned
NYTIMES review is out

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/a...02&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

It was just another night on the streets of Liberty City, the exhilarating, lusciously dystopian rendition of New York City in 2008 that propels Grand Theft Auto IV, the ambitious new video game to be released on Tuesday for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 systems.

Published by Rockstar Games, Grand Theft Auto IV is a violent, intelligent, profane, endearing, obnoxious, sly, richly textured and thoroughly compelling work of cultural satire disguised as fun. It calls to mind a rollicking R-rated version of Mad magazine featuring Dave Chappelle and Quentin Tarantino, and sets a new standard for what is possible in interactive arts. It is by far the best game of the series

dedhead54

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I may have to pick up Vice City Stories sometime in the (pretty distant, because GTAIV is about to consume my soul) future and play it on my mother's new PS2. She got a PS2 just to play Guitar Hero 3. It's rather hilarious, but she get's 4 stars on Hard, so....

zaidr

Iamthegamer said:
How much were they worth playing anyways? Somebody spoil the stories for me.

Never finished them myself. The missions got too long and involved for a portable game, imo.

The first one is Tony Cipriani, the dude you do some missions for from his diner in GTA3. He has the mom that thinks he's a loser. Thats taken to an extreme, to the point where she hires roving hitmen to come kill you.

VCS involves Lance Vance's brother, Vince (I think?), who is a part of the army, but gets kicked out because his CO gets him involved in some shit, and drugs he's hiding for him get found in Vince's room. He gets kicked out, and starts getting in with bigger and bigger criminals. The idea of buying and managing businesses are a big part of the game, which I never liked in VC in the first place. And again, missions got to the point where I'd have to spend 15+ minutes multiple times to get them done.

Salazar

Has there been anything in the Australian (mainstream) media about this game ? I guess we should probably be thankful, in a sense, for the apparent lack of coverage - but it just seems like silence to me.

kylej

Banned
Jtwo said:
You.... you... you think you what?
Joke post?

I can see putting at least 400 hours or so into GTA IV. GTA3 came out what, 7 years ago? So in 7 years I'll have played over 1500 hours of GTA. Welp.

SpeedingUptoStop

zaidr said:
Never finished them myself. The missions got too long and involved for a portable game, imo.

The first one is Tony Cipriani, the dude you do some missions for from his diner in GTA3. He has the mom that thinks he's a loser. Thats taken to an extreme, to the point where she hires roving hitmen to come kill you.

VCS involves Lance Vance's brother, Vince (I think?), who is a part of the army, but gets kicked out because his CO gets him involved in some shit, and drugs he's hiding for him get found in Vince's room. He gets kicked out, and starts getting in with bigger and bigger criminals. The idea of buying and managing businesses are a big part of the game, which I never liked in VC in the first place. And again, missions got to the point where I'd have to spend 15+ minutes multiple times to get them done.
I always wanted that in GTA game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ripclawe said:

Oh wow. They call out the differences between versions too:

Liberty City's political climate veers wildly towards a latter-day parody of Tammany Hall, with conspicuous consumption and theft on the part of the frequently corrupt city officials. However, it should be noted that the graft is more deftly and subtly handled on the PS3 iteration, with resident political Machiavelli more grossly cartoonish and boorish in the 360 iteration.

SpeedingUptoStop

"You know one day, someday in the future, you're gonna start your game off in Bullworth Academy, become an adult, drive to Vice City, and then get in a underground Midnight club racing league.":lol :lol

"Grand Theft Auto: Life (Laughs)....(serious again) well, what more could you do [than GTAIV]?":D

Iamthegamer said:
"I know for a fact that there's a gang starr song on the radio that references Liberty City." :-O

This is cool. Gives me hope for Less Than Jake's "Last One Out of Liberty City" being on the soundtrack. The song is 10 years old though, so I doubt it. I really wish it was though. It's so perfect. I mean, it starts off with the line "Last one out of Liberty City, burn it to the ground!"

I don't even think it's a reference to GTA, as the song is 10 years old and GTA had just been released in 1998 (slim chance I suppose).

i can't grasp the fact that i'll be playing this game in 24 hours. why on earth did i buy the COD4 map pack; barely touched the game since the MGO beta started and probably won't play it for many months with GTA and MGS4 coming out.

Top Bottom