• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Just found out I will be playing at midnight! I can't wait... Any fellow chronic Hot Shots ps3 addicts migrating to GTA if on 360? If so shoot me a friend invite on 360; same username.

The store I'm going to is not in a great part of town lol. I always kind of worry about going there late. I remember getting my ps3 there and I had to take the light rail home; I was so worried about getting robbed I took a collapsible baton with me. There wasn't even a problem at all for launch so I doubt there will be any issue tonight, unless a console Warz riot breaks out.

Edit: WTF is up with all the ps3 HSG5 people going 360 for GTA D: I'm going to have to double up kills on BeatBox and KittonWy to make up for it.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
BeeDog said:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.gif x 10000

Just got the mail my reserved copy can be picked up tomorrow. Wah-wah-wee-wah! Can't wait.
Gamestop is the only answer for immediate releases.

Doodlebug

Jel0man said:
And Europe has been hit. In Samara, Russian Federation, it now is April the 29th:D. Moscow in one hour!

Heh.

Four hours for the UK (well, 3 hours and 52 minutes or so), but no midnight releases near me. ;_;

ive been avoiding this thread in fear of spoilers so i havent read any reactions of people whove gotten the game already, but what's the consesus? masterpeice or overhyped POS? My cousin said he's had it since Thursday for the PS3 and said it's not all that. He said overall he's dissapointed, but I can't see the game being that bad.

Wizpig

bdizzle said:
ive been avoiding this thread in fear of spoilers so i havent read any reactions of people whove gotten the game already, but what's the consesus? masterpeice or overhyped POS? My cousin said he's had it since Thursday for the PS3 and said it's not all that. He said overall he's dissapointed, but I can't see the game being that bad.
Overhyped but awesome.

Vito

Banned
8bit said:
UPS tracking has my 360 LE as 2.00 kg.

Ah thanks, that's going to make shipping to EU expensive.... sad thing is, it's still cheaper that if I buy it here plus no amazon exclusive license plate.
Still need to figure out if the x360 version is regionlocked. :(

Doodlebug

bdizzle said:
ive been avoiding this thread in fear of spoilers so i havent read any reactions of people whove gotten the game already, but what's the consesus? masterpiece or overhyped POS? My cousin said he's had it since Thursday for the PS3 and said it's not all that. He said overall he's dissapointed, but I can't see the game being that bad.

16kzuww.jpg

Teknoman

BobTheFork said:
The store I'm going to is not in a great part of town lol. I always kind of worry about going there late. I remember getting my ps3 there and I had to take the light rail home; I was so worried about getting robbed I took a collapsible baton with me. There wasn't even a problem at all for launch so I doubt there will be any issue tonight, unless a console Warz riot breaks out.

Edit: WTF is up with all the ps3 HSG5 people going 360 for GTA D: I'm going to have to double up kills on BeatBox and KittonWy to make up for it.

lol same here...though someone did get jacked for their Vice City and more recently San Andreas in Houston during launch day. Not from my area though, so im not really worried. Besides im ready to seriously throw down if anyone tries to take my GTA IV. If i've waited this long to buy it, they can wait till they have some cash to spend on it :lol

EDIT: Nuuu I need more PS3 GTA people

Jel0man

Doodlebug said:
Heh.

Four hours for the UK (well, 3 hours and 52 minutes or so), but no midnight releases near me. ;_;

There is one near me. But there is just one problem. I have to go by train, and well, there is no train to take me back to my city after the midnight launch. Meaning I would have to wander around for like five hours to wait for the next train:lol.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_22119.aspx

The new entry, which gives a whole new meaning to the initials "GTA," is expected to sell as many as 400 million copies. Dozens of stores across the city are planning to stay open late to get their share of the first dollars for the contest, which includes all the worrisome content critics have been concerned about with previous incarnations.

wat

I didn't pre-order the game from Gamestop as I hate that store.

What are my other options for midnight, or am I stuck going in the morning the next day?

With that, where should I go? Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or where?

vumpler

I can't believe tons of places aren't breaking street date on this. They do it for madden EVERY year. You would think more people would have this right now.

blanky

There's this dutch commercial that has been running for a while, not from gta, but the guy in it just made me think of Niko so much, the guy with the binoculars and they also takl in a slavic language i think ;p link to vid

lil smoke

Banned
Digital Limit said:

What are my other options for midnight, or am I stuck going in the morning the next day?

I would think Best Buy. We don't have Walmart here, so I'm thinking Best Buy tommorrow morn before work. I'll be in my warm bed at midnight, fuck that! I just hope they don't run out or something like that.

Walshicus

My plan:

1) Notice there are four hours left until launch.
2) Settle in for a quick session of Europa Universalis 3.
3) After "quick session" is over, look at clock and realise the game was released a few days ago.

Or something like that.

Man, I really can't wait...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BobTheFork said:

:lol the worst part is the 50-person limit. You really have to leverage those friends.

Goldrusher

DevelopmentArrested said:

The new entry, which gives a whole new meaning to the initials "GTA," is expected to sell as many as 400 million copies. Dozens of stores across the city are planning to stay open late to get their share of the first dollars for the contest, which includes all the worrisome content critics have been concerned about with previous incarnations.

wat

:lol

BobTheFork said:

BenjaminLinus.gif

Bloodwake

Well, since I lost my wallet, I don't have an ID to pick the game up. I had the manager of the GameStop I work for call to the GameStop I reserved the game at and the manager said he basically couldn't do it without DM approval.

So, once I talk to her, I should have the game tonight at midnight EST. Wish me luck, or I will have to wait until Wednesday when I go home and get it at my home store.

wat

When? In it's lifetime? :lol

For reference, Halo 3 sold 5 million on its launch day.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I thought I would be able to wait till morning to get this, but the closer it gets to midnight its getting harder to wait for morning, I might get it at midnight after all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Digital Limit said:
50-person limit? For what?

PSN friends list, which I'm capped out on thanks to HSG, PES, and Resistance. Live is 100 of course. Neither limit makes any sense to me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

wat
it's a typo. It's supposed to be $400 million, which is the number being thrown around everywhere. The actual copy number going around is 6 million copies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Sorry if it's been answered a ton, but is anyone giving away any freebies for buying GTAIV tomorrow? Anyone running a deal? My gf said that Circuit City was giving a $10 GC if you bought it there, but I couldn't find any confirmation on their website.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DJ_Tet said:
Sorry if it's been answered a ton, but is anyone giving away any freebies for buying GTAIV tomorrow? Anyone running a deal? My gf said that Circuit City was giving a $10 GC if you bought it there, but I couldn't find any confirmation on their website.
100% confirmed (and that's where I'm grabbing mine). CC also has 13 month Live Gold cards for $40 this week. 13 months of live for only $30 after the free gc.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BobTheFork said:

BobTheFork is Benjamin Linus?

4x09-00048262.jpg

:O

GTA IV Being Watched by Guinness Records

According to a new AP report (complete with a quote from 1UP's own Sam Kennedy), the launch of GTAIV is expected to hit 9 million copies. Multiply 9 million by $60 a pop, and you get a whopping $540 million in the company coffers, not counting the higher-priced Collector's Edition. How well sales will actually do has yet to be seen, but if the launch numbers are even two-thirds the projected amount, Niko would shatter Master Chief's record. We'll keep you posted as the two next-gen icons duke it out.

IT IS HERE.

vskpvm.jpg

Xdrive05

Felix Lighter said:
400 million copies? This game is really going to boost the highdef consoles' user bases. Hell this game will single handily save the US economy.

Niko Belik on the new hundred dollar bills CONFIRMED!

vumpler

Digital Limit said:

EB Games

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

I beat you, but tried to keep it spoiler free. Yours is much funnier, of course.

Curse you and my shitty wifi connection...

: P

Raide

Good luck to those camping out at midnight (and before) for the GTA Fest! Need people to post some pictures for all to see. :D

Top Bottom