• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
dejay said:
Snow Storm is fucking me around. The first two times I
got hammered trying to lose the wanted level (epic chase the first time) and the next time the fucked up cover/camera system conspired to fuck me up the arse inside the old hospital.
Think I'll leave that mission for tomorrow - gonna watch a DVD to relax before bed.

3 words: take the boat.

EktorPR

Munin said:
I'm fucking done with this piece of shit game. No checkpoints is just the dumbest thing ever. Died two times on The Snow Storm now. I can think of better ways to waste my time. Fuck you, Rockstar.

Heh. And to think I retried that mission 5 times before I nailed it (epic chase by car and all).

Bossman

Munin said:
I'm fucking done with this piece of shit game. No checkpoints is just the dumbest thing ever. Died two times on The Snow Storm now. I can think of better ways to waste my time. Fuck you, Rockstar.

Learn to play. The game is a lot easier than the previous GTA games, so you rarely fail missions.

ElyrionX

Hmmm, seems like plenty of people having trouble with Snow Storm. I passed it on my first try. The shooting part is easy. Just take your time and be cautious in the building and it shouldn't be an issue. The difficult part is the police chase I guess. What I did was to shoot the cops to get out of the building safely and just drive away. It isn't hard to escape a 3-star wanted level. Just be sure to check your mini map all the time and try to navigate away from oncoming cops.

I noticed that it seems to be a lot easier to shake off 3-star or 4-star wanted ratings when it occurs during missions as compared to when it occurs if you're just running around the world doing nothing. There seems to be less police spawns especially after you have left the search area.

ElyrionX

dejay said:
Don't know about an Infernus, but there's a Turismo
a couple of driveways from Faustin's place. It's behind another car.

The Turismo/Ferrari, Banshee/Viper and Corquette/Corvette are all easy to find. The only ones I haven't seen outside of missions is Infernus/Lambo and Comet/Porsche. I wonder if doing the races will make them spawn more frequently. As it is, I'm already 20 hours in and I haven't seen them at all. So it really can't be random.

dejay said:
Snow Storm is fucking me around.
Have you tried going behind the building at the beginning?

----
Is anyone else's LC Marathon stats on the Rockstar Social Club page totally screwed up?

iefn15.jpg

Finally got it, this game is the shit. Simply awesome. The world is just unbelievable, so alive, something is happening all the time.

Drunk walking an driving = best thing ever made in a game :D

I have one question though: i run into this guy on the streets (green icon on the map) and a cutscene triggers. this guy is full of coke or something else, and totally crazy, and he gives me 100 bucks just like that, and goes, nothing else happens? Is this just some random stuff that happens out of nowhere?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hellraizer said:
I have one question though: i run into this guy on the streets (green icon on the map) and a cutscene triggers. this guy is full of coke or something else, and totally crazy, and he gives me 100 bucks just like that, and goes, nothing else happens? Is this just some random stuff that happens out of nowhere?

Yeah, that guy's one of the 'random people' that pop up at places on the map. Whenever you see some kind of blue icon/arrow on the minimap, go to it and trigger the event. They're a chain of mini missions. For instance that coke dude? he has more appearances.

Cdammen

The Snow Storm mission is hard, took me two tries to beat it. Your best bet is to just haul ass to the truck waiting outside and hitting the nearest Pay'n Spray. Worked for me :)

Now I'm taking a helicopter underneath every bridge crossing water. I've got one left and I can't find it.

Darunia said:
Yeah, that guy's one of the 'random people' that pop up at places on the map. Whenever you see some kind of blue icon/arrow on the minimap, go to it and trigger the event. They're a chain of mini missions. For instance that coke dude? he has more appearances.
Nice :D

Remy

Zep said:
I think it's only SobeHoe and Lawchick. Someone can come correct me but I've gotten no other responses.

According to the guide,
those are the only two on Love Meet that you can date, but there is someone you can date on the Craigslist parody

lionelhutz

How does the reserved parking space work? Once I save a car in that spot will it always be there? If I die, get arrested, blow it up? I have a pretty decent car but now I'm afraid to take it out. I don't want to lose it.

Smokey

Snow Storm only took me 1 try. After wasting those people in the building when the NOOSE came I wasted the first two I saw and then just hauled ass to my car outside. Was getting shot from all over but managed to make it and avoid the police w/ 3 stars (which isn't too hard).

Smokey Bones said:
Snow Storm only took me 1 try. After wasting those people in the building when the NOOSE came I wasted the first two I saw and then just hauled ass to my car outside. Was getting shot from all over but managed to make it and avoid the police w/ 3 stars (which isn't too hard).

It's even easier if you jump out to the speedboat in the water.

It's almost a tutorial!

(Just kidding.)

mileS

Smokey Bones said:

Thats pretty much what I did. Parked a super fast car right by the hole in the fence after I cleared the building of the thugs. Got a good feel for the layout of the building so my escape would be as quick as possible. Some guides tell you to just clear the cops out and wait for an opening to book it.. but it just gets harder the longer you wait, lots of cops start to flank you randomly and all the explosive bins respawn after you grab the package.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Smokey Bones said:
That's how I managed to escape, but the first two times, I actually attempted to take everyone on (which worked reasonably well until they swarmed me all at once).

The problem is, I had climbed up the back entrance initially and didn't know what the front of the building looked like so I didn't have an escape route.

Frenck

Banned
Those little quests you get when walking down the streets of Liberty City (little blue man icon) add so much to the game. Especially if you meet minor characters you encountered before.

So far I met Hossan (the guy from the intro) again and I met Dwayne's ex girlfriend (the one whose bf you killed). There are many others, like some guys who linger in the background in Vlad's bar in some cutscenes or simply random guys. I can't believe how good GTA 4 is.

Remy

Here's the bit about the third internet girlfriend option, verbatim from the guide:

Girlfriend: Alexandra Chilton

Contact Alexandra via Craplist.net. She's available for dating once Niko gets access to the internet in "Out of the Closet" and the island of Algonquin (where Alex lives) is unlocked. She's awake from 6:00am to 2:00am. She goes by "Liberated Woman" on the website and her personal ad reads: "Party girl seeks man for NSA fun and blog material - 29 (Lancaster)". (She even blogs about each date with Niko on her site. Click on this link, then select "Contact Me" at the bottom of her info page.

Captain N

Does anything end up happening with Michelle? I mean in the main story or does anything every come from dating her or anything at all..?

2DMention

Banned
I love little jacob. He's gotta be one of my favorite supporting characters so far. I've found turning on the subtitles with this game really helps with him and with the crappy voice volume of this game.

JCtheMC

2DMention said:
I love little jacob. He's gotta be one of my favorite supporting characters so far. I've found turning on the subtitles with this game really helps with him and with the crappy voice volume of this game.

The subtitles also really help you make sense of what the fuck he is saying. Same goes for X.

JCtheMC said:
The subtitles also really help you make sense of what the fuck he is saying. Same goes for X.

"WHAT are you talking about?"

Playboy X/Dwayne question.

Is there any way I could possibly miss any missions from them if I start one of them. Like, what's the last mission before one of the strings gets closed off and who is it for?

kthxbye

Barrett2

Cdammen said:
The Snow Storm mission is hard, took me two tries to beat it. Your best bet is to just haul ass to the truck waiting outside and hitting the nearest Pay'n Spray. Worked for me :)

Snow Storm was a bitch. I think driving straight to the Pay'n Spray is the only way to beat that mission. It took me three tries, and on the final try I barely rolled out of a burning car before it exploded and avoided being run over by the cops by mere inches. That mission is straight up hard.

ElyrionX

Uhh, about 40% into the game, I get to choose to kill either D
errick or Francis and I chose to hit Francis. Now Francis' mission progress is 83.33%. Will it hit 100% now that he's dead?
Or did I make the wrong choice?

Atomspike

Holy shit , just played the
Bank heist
mission , it is probably the closest thing to experiencing the movie
"Heat"
. fucking epic!

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Beat the game..

Some comments:

-The final mission really needed some fucking checkpoints. There are MANY sections where you can fail the mission instantly and R* did a pisspoor job testing it.
-Cops are not good for anything. Hell I even got attacked by them during the final mission(as if I wasn't in deep enough shit already)
-The Taxis are awesome and helped me save a bunch of time. When used effectively you can really cut down on the "drive 300 miles to reach your next objective" BS.
-Took about 25 hours to beat(got the sub-30 hours for story missions achievement...whoo), I'm about 68% done I think.
-This is the first GTA game I've ever actually finished.
-Saint's Row 2 is going to kick the shit out of this game as long as Volition doesn't do something horribly wrong.

*shrug*

Gotta buy a new mic and then I'm going back to multiplayer. Free mode is where all the fun is. :D

Wizpig

Already posted?

GTA 3, on the Stone ... one name: Niko

1209818516712xr3.jpg

But since GTA 4 is after GTA 3 [Liberty City being completely different etc.] this is only a nice coincidence. :p

Chinner said:
thanks for quoting yourself there, was going insain looking for your opinion which i hold very important

I was quoting from another forum. *shrug*
I appreciate you giving my day meaning though.

My score is hovering on a 7 out of 10 BTW.

blanky

anyone noticed the nice little cautionnotice in the chopper when you're in first person view during the tours? I thought it was a nice touch.

So glad i'm done with all the friends now. Now to get all the cars, cop missions and the damn pigeons, anyone know what the annihilator looks like?

TeTr1C

Snow Storm was one of my favorite missions so far.
This mission reminded me that the cover system is really badass if you're used to it. There was a really intense 10 minute chase sequence after I got out of the hospital.
The police managed to blow out a front and back tire, so I'm swerving all over the road until I can't go anymore. I had to jump out and hop in another car. It was incredible to finally lose them.

Later, I was just messing around and I found an open apartment complex and went to the roof and started sniping people, just to see the reaction of the police. The paramedics sped in and I sniped them through the windshield. :lol When I got to three stars the cops started to come up to the roof! I was at the top of the stairs right inside of the door to the roof blowing them away. HUGE pile of dead cops. :lol

I even sniped the pilot of one of the helicopters outside. The cops flooded the apartments and I was just going to run out and jump off of the building and end it all. I didn't even make it up on to the ledge before I was killed.

I was amazed.

Jel0man

Just finished singleplayer and I can honestly say it was an amazing experience. Not that much different from previous GTA's, but much more intense. Especially the
bank vault
mission was plain awesome.

Stats: About 61% overall, 94 mission completed, and a playtime of about 24,5 hours. Next up are the optional missions, and those damn pidgeons can wait till summer:lol.

Jel0man

TeTr1C said:
So, there are 94 missions in ALL, or just the main story?

Just the main story. I haven't completed any other missions yet. There was one freaky mission though, where I had to shoot someone who was about to take off in a helicopter. The helicopter pad was above a tunnel, and I accidentally drove in there, and when I realized I had gone in the wrong direction the guy had escaped, resulting in a mission faillure. I got no notice of that however, nor could I retry the mission.

I was hugely dissapointed with the game when i first got it.. very little had improved. But the more i play it the more i enjoy it. This is probably the first gta i really enjoy playing the missions. I havent really fucked about at all.

the only complaint i have is the ridiculously under powerd gun. that thing is worthless.

Jel0man

Captain N said:
Hey fellas...is there anyway you can put on a seatbelt? I am tired of flying out the front of the car.

No, you can't. It would have been a welcome addition, but it's not in there. It's pretty hard to fly out of a car window though:p.

BenjaminBirdie said:
"WHAT are you talking about?"

Playboy X/Dwayne question.

Is there any way I could possibly miss any missions from them if I start one of them. Like, what's the last mission before one of the strings gets closed off and who is it for?

kthxbye

Anyone? Halp? Plaese? Need assist? Backup? Pinned down? Cavalry?

Help?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone? Halp? Plaese? Need assist? Backup? Pinned down? Cavalry?

Help?

I don't think it really matters, just do every mission that's available to you. It's not like GTA3 where you can do certain strings and end up killing off/ubruptedly ending a number of missions.

Major spoiler
It should also be noted that the last mission for Dwayne/Playboy X comes down to a simple choice between the two of them.

Top Bottom