• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Just dropped of that Playboy on the second island so now I can visit places there. Bought me a nice suit and all.

But...

is it just me or is this game actually starting to get uglier the more you play it? Not only is the main island a lot uglier than Broker/Bohan etc., but it seems like even the cutscenes are getting rougher around the edges.

Also (playing 360 version), the pop up is getting worse and the traffic is a little crazy... sometimes I see almost no pedestrians or cars on the freaking middle island while it is supposed to be NYC!

Doc Evils

Grimm Fandango said:
I have a hankering for a molotov cocktail spree.

The only way it'll screw up my achievements and such would be if I saved after using cheats, correct?

cheats also screw up your saved games. happened to my friends PS3 version.

Sorry I have not kept up with the thread so I am just wondering whats the consenus on multiplayer. I think its a ton of fun when you got a good team going. But to get that good team is a mess. I think the interface is terrible, no way to find certain games, no way to jump into a friends game without an invite. Many times people choose a mode like race and after a minute everyone losing will just quit.

It has tons of potential but I find it sloppy. Its Rockstars first try at this so I give them a pass. Still when it works like its supposed to its magic.

Don't tell me how or when, but do I eventually get a safe house in Alderny? It's a pain in the ass right now. Also mega minor spoiler
do I get a new one in Broker/Dukes?

X26

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Don't tell me how or when, but do I eventually get a safe house in Alderny? It's a pain in the ass right now. Also mega minor spoiler
do I get a new one in Broker/Dukes?

- Yes
- Unfortunately, no

SolidSquirrel said:
I actually knocked the dumpster in front of the door before I ran in.

www.littlelacysurprisepageant.com

Instant five stars.

It was hilarious. When the first wave arrived, I threw a grenade out of the sliver of space the door could open. After everything exploded, everybody in the internet cafe was running towards the door. The police were also trying to open the door from the other side, but I was standing in front of it. There were giant crowds on both sides of the door, so I tried to throw another grendade. This time the police flooded in, the grenade bounced, and everything died.

It was glorious.

Holy shit. :lol :lol :lol

AirBrian

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I spent like 10 minutes trying to read his phone number through the scope, when I noticed his satellite dish and decided that would be easier.
Haha,
I managed to memorize the number during the cutscene. I had no idea you could just take out the dish.
Brilliant. :lol

AirBrian said:
Haha,
I managed to memorize the number during the cutscene. I had no idea you could just take out the dish.
Brilliant. :lol

I love how many ways there are to do that. I just
shot the TV

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I HAD to hit the gas station in the first
packie
mission. Full health. hard part over. boom. gone.

womfalcs3

Banned
Three Leaf Clover spoiler

Okay. This is my 5th time trying this mission. I've made it through the streets and the subway station and my health is about half. What do I do at the exit of the subway station? Do I just walk out running? I have 3 stars.

dkeane

womfalcs3 said:
Three Leaf Clover spoiler

Okay. This is my 5th time trying this mission. I've made it through the streets and the subway station and my health is about half. What do I do at the exit of the subway station? Do I just walk out running? I have 3 stars.
head right there should be a car there, just smash the window and drive. Take out any cops on your way there. That's a tough mission, took me at least 5-6 tries.

womfalcs3

Banned
dkeane said:
head right there should be a car there, just smash the window and drive. Take out any cops on your way there. That's a tough mission, took me at least 5-6 tries.
Thanks.

I made it to the car until it notified me that Packie was left behind downstairs. I had to comeback and get him. By the time I did that and tried to get back up to the vehicle, I was killed.

Really pisses me off.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I've now completed that mission twice, and i never died in it.

I thought it was pretty easy actually, both times. When you get the jeep, go up, and if you have trouble shaking them off by the time you reach the northern part of the island, go for the painting job.

SolidSquirrel said:
I actually knocked the dumpster in front of the door before I ran in.

www.littlelacysurprisepageant.com

Instant five stars.

It was hilarious. When the first wave arrived, I threw a grenade out of the sliver of space the door could open. After everything exploded, everybody in the internet cafe was running towards the door. The police were also trying to open the door from the other side, but I was standing in front of it. There were giant crowds on both sides of the door, so I tried to throw another grendade. This time the police flooded in, the grenade bounced, and everything died.

It was glorious.
:lol oh wow, this game is still amazing me

Weenerz

Banned
Getting kind of bored of the radio, theres like 5 songs per station and the same bits repeat every few minutes on the good talk channels.

Alex

The radio just has too much fucking chatter this time, it's humorous, but when I'm trying to find a good song and I'm skipping between 4-5 stations just to find one that IS playing a song, that's bad.

Needs like a ... fuckin sattelite radio, no-ad option or something!

Alex

TheGreatDave said:
The radio needs that Hardcore Rock channel taken away. It's fucking awful. I never listen to that, Jazz or Bob fucking Marley.

I like the Russian channel, and The Journey and the classic rock.

Brashnir

Alex said:
The radio just has too much fucking chatter this time, it's humorous, but when I'm trying to find a good song and I'm skipping between 4-5 stations just to find one that IS playing a song, that's bad.

Needs like a ... fuckin sattelite radio, no-ad option or something!

too much chatter, and too damn many stations. It takes forever to scroll through the whole list of them to get to the one you want sometimes. I'm all for variety, but if they took the stations and combined several of them together into more robust offerings, it would be for the best.

Juice

Alright, I have a new favorite game:

1. Walk up to a car near an interstate or bridge
2. Drop (don't throw) a grenade on the hood
3. If you're lucky, the car will drive away with the grenade rattling about on the hood.
4. ???
5. A chain reaction of cars flying every which way

Juice said:

3. If you're lucky, the car will drive away with the grenade rattling about on the hood.
4. ???
:lol I just tried this, cars and ppl went flying everywhere :)

Shaneus

Comedy club is awesome!
Ricky Gervais
was unreal (as expected) but I'd never heard of
Katt Williams
before and found him hilariously UNfunny. Is there anyone else who performs there other than those two?

Sean

Banned
Juice said:

4. ???

Gotta try this, I still need the Chain Reaction achievement.

can anybody who's finished tell me how close i am? starting to feel like i should slow down.

I just met florian kravich, did the cut scene, and he called me to come by later

kylej

Banned
notjackbauer said:
can anybody who's finished tell me how close i am? starting to feel like i should slow down.

I just met florian kravich, did the cut scene, and he called me to come by later

You're 70% done I'd say.

Juice said:

4. ???

Hm are you jumping on the hood when you drop the nade? It always hits the ground when I try.

Decado

In the mission Bull in the China House (or something along those lines) I'm supposed to throw a rock through a window, but every time I pick up the rock and get about 10 yards it disappears out of Nico's hand. WTF?

Is this a glitch?

Brashnir

Decado said:
In the mission Bull in the China House (or something along those lines) I'm supposed to throw a rock through a window, but every time I pick up the rock and get about 10 yards it disappears out of Nico's hand. WTF?

Is this a glitch?

happened to some people earlier in the thread. You can just shoot the window out.

Yes Boss!

Y2Kev said:
Three Leaf Clover is AMAZING

Yeah, love the Heat vibe. I was getting frustrated on the fourth time but I FINALLY beat it on the fifth. Damn, was it gratifying. This is the first time the game really "took off" for me and I'm ready for what is upcoming!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I made it all the way to the
subway exit
my first time and I thought it was up to that point fabulous. But then I was too afraid to go forward and I eventually got gunned down. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Y2Kev said:
I made it all the way to the
subway exit
my first time and I thought it was up to that point fabulous. But then I was too afraid to go forward and I eventually got gunned down. :(

I got hit by the subway. :lol

X26

Banned
I finished brucie's export missions, and think I got a stevie e-mail and such but ignored it and progressed with the game. Now htta I've beat it, I decided to go back and do the car searches...but can't see and text, e-mails, or a stevie in my phonebook...wut? anyway to reactivate it or something?

pr0cs

Well I'm likely 30% into the game and so far I'm impressed. Once the game catches you it's really hard to put it down ... "just one mission before bed" turns around to be another 4am spiel.

- a lot of the characters are great (Little Jacob, Brucie, PlayboyX are all memorable)
- Euphoria is this generation's physics+ragdoll. I've seen so many very believable and unique encounters it's amazing.
- Niko is identifiable, funny and badass all at the same time
- Multiplayer is a hoot, with decent people. I pretty much demand auto-aim off otherwise I search for a different server. Cops and Crooks being my favorite but I've had fun with all. Like Mafiya the least because it seems sort of disjointed. Thrilled that the game world is same as the single player. Like how again physics make those "sure thing" wins not always "sure thing"
- locals feel varied

Dislikes:
- game is really dark, dread nighttime in the game. i'm used to it now but when I first started playing it was nearly game breaking for me
- mission variety seems pretty slim. I'm not bored yet and I haven't gone that far in the game but already some of it feels "been there, done that".
- vehicles are a mixed bag. I'm not hating on them as much as I used to but some cars are simply undrivable
- a few bugs, multiplayer hangs causes a need to relaunch the whole game, odd behavior from AI occasionally, indoors and outdoor scenes causes some really kooky behavior with both AI and the environment. ie: go indoors, door closes, open door, your vehicle (and surrounding vehicles are totally repaired, etc, etc)
- radio stations are for the most part lame and forgettable, something I'm disappointed with considering how most of the previous GTAs had stellar soundtracks.
- controls take a lot of effort to learn and master, some really odd choices for controls, camera can be a drag as well

I don't see myself putting it down anytime soon, the multiplayer is a great break from the singleplayer portion. Highly recommended you try a few games.

kylej

Banned
pr0cs said:
Dislikes:
- game is really dark, dread nighttime in the game. i'm used to it now but when I first started playing it was nearly game breaking for me

Don't suffer. You can change the brightness and contrast in the menu.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Beat friends or computers at every activity to get an additional 5%

Does this mean I need to beat every online mode? In addition to the games activities in single player?

Top Bottom