• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

X26

Banned
ElyrionX said:
How do you get garages to store cars then?

Well you get some parking space on the street early in the game, whether you get a pad of your own later who knows, but I imagine you would (complete with garage)

Teknoman

Himuro said:
This is the SE soundtrack listing apparently:

That is one amazing soundtrack listing. God this soundtrack is gonna be awesome. It hits it all across the board, every genre.

My one disappointment so far is that apparently the hip hop station is full of shitty mainstream hip hop I get angry at when I listen to it on REAL radio. Souljah Boy? Akon? In GTA? Argh. Crank Dat Souljah Boy is a good club song, but I thought this soundtrack was supposed to be a comparison to "New York life and fit in the game world".

I can just hope that the hip hop station has more than that shit on there but thankfully there's 1 electronic station, 1 old school hip hop station, 2 reggae stations, 1 funk/soul station, 1 disco station, and 2 jazz stations so I have little to complain about. Roll my eyes at the rock station! There's certainly enough variety to keep the lack of a solid hip hop station irrelevant.

I really hope this game gives more awareness to afrobeat. More people need to know who Fela Kuti is. I look forward to that station solely to finding out about artists I don't know about. :lol

As far as hip-hop channels go, I think i'll stick to the old school station. I'll give the new one a chance of course since I listen to all stations usually, but I dont think I want to hear "YAAAAH BITCH, YAAAAAH!" while driving down the street.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
gta iv soundtrack wiki has songs of all the stations, but only 2 of the alt rock channel :( Is there a full list to be found somewhere?

Oh shit! Daddy Yankee is the DJ for San Juan Sounds? :lol

This game is going to own. There better be some Interpol or Strokes on the Modern Radio Station.

Am I alone that Vice City has been the best GTA game?

I would rank it VC >> GTA3 >>>>>>>>>>>> San Andreas (with GTA1and2 somewhere in between 3 and San Andreas)

Sanjuro

DanielPlainview said:

I would rank it VC >> GTA3 >>>>>>>>>>>> San Andreas (with GTA1and2 somewhere in between 3 and San Andreas)
There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking

Eric WK

Drewsy said:
What? Collecting stolen cars is a GTA staple. The game is called Grand Theft Auto afterall.

In one of the live streams the other day people were asking where you're supposed to store your cars. The guy said that he didn't have a garage and couldn't find anything about it.

I'm assuming you can obviously keep cars, but there's no garage, at least at the start.

DanielPlainview said:

I loved VC the most too, but I would not put such a huge gap betwwen SA and 3.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Aww fuck, stores here started selling them today, but i was too lazy to check them out :lol

Oh well, Monday 9am, GTA WILL BE MINE BITCHES.

Loudninja

4506-gta-iv-edinburgh-ad.jpg

http://www.gta4.net/news/4088/edinburgh-home-of-rockstar-north/

Barrett2

DanielPlainview said:

Vice City was my favorite. I thought it had great atmosphere, visuals, music. I couldn't get into San Andreas, it was too overwhelming for me. Plus, I got stuck on some insanely hard missions (for me) near the beginning of the game, and I couldn't get motivated to get past them.

Kestastrophe said:
Can you buy property in this game?

I hope so. My favorite part of Vice City was flying my helicopter to various businesses collecting my $$. God that was fun, I hope they build on that in 4.

I'm trying to figure out what R* decided to cut from the Aussie version. I think maybe it's the hookers. In the Aussie version, this is what you get to see (rocking side to side):
kbejbq.jpg

Can anybody confirm if the full version is the same, or is it handled differently?

Also apparently in the strip clubs in the Aussie version, the girls are wearing G-strings and have 'stars' covering their nipples. Is that the same as the full version?

lawblob said:
Vice City was my favorite. I thought it had great atmosphere, visuals, music. I couldn't get into San Andreas, it was too overwhelming for me. Plus, I got stuck on some insanely hard missions (for me) near the beginning of the game, and I couldn't get motivated to get past them.

I hope so. My favorite part of Vice City was flying my helicopter to various businesses collecting my $$. God that was fun, I hope they build on that in 4.

Yeah, there was just way to much to do in San Andreas, it got extremely boring extremely fast. I'm glad GTA4 is more focused.

Tr4nce

endlessflood said:
I'm trying to figure out what R* decided to cut from the Aussie version. I think maybe it's the hookers. In the Aussie version, this is what you get to see (rocking side to side):

IIRC correctly, it has always been like that, even in the uncut USA and PAL versions. The only difference I read about with the Aussie and New-Zealand version is that
they censured this mission, where Niko or someone else apparently stuck a weapon up someone's ass.

I kid you not. This is not a joke post. It's serious.

Are there any spoilers in the Niko trailer? I'd like to watch it, but it's not as if I need to be convinced to buy this game, so if there are any spoilers, I won't.

Tr4nce

bigmakstudios said:
Are there any spoilers in the Niko trailer? I'd like to watch it, but it's not as if I need to be convinced to buy this game, so if there are any spoilers, I won't.

No man, relax. Just watch it, it's just a profile sketch of Niko. It's awesome, listen to the music.

dedhead54

bigmakstudios said:

Not that I recall. And it's an awesome trailer, too. You need to check it out. Awesome shots and awesome music.

Tr4nce said:
IIRC correctly, it has always been like that, even in the uncut USA and PAL versions. The only difference I read about with the Aussie and New-Zealand version is that
they censured this mission, where Niko or someone else apparently stuck a weapon up someone's ass.

I kid you not. This is not a joke post. It's serious.
Yeah, I heard that as well, but I was hoping that somebody here who has GTA4 could tell me what happens exactly when you pick up a hooker or go to a strip club in the non-censored version.

The Chef

bigmakstudios said:

No spoilers at all. Its just pure awesome. You need to watch it STAT!

I watched the trailer. It was pure, concentrated awesome. Far too uncommon are games that actually emphasize the ramifications of violence. Sure, games are fantasy, but I've never understood how anyone could have the slightest interest in a story whose characters are statically amoral. I'm glad that GTA4 seems to at least intimate that Niko is afflicted for being a murderer. Of course, remorse doesn't change a character from a villain to a hero, but it at least makes him slightly more likable and human.

The wait for GTA4 is causing zero production on my part. I have 2 finals monday, one take home final due 4/1 and a film project due sometime next week. All I keep doing is F5'ing the three main GTA4 threads :(

Save me.

nofi

notjackbauer said:
I GOT IT!!!!NJGKFHIUY!~T$

installing noww..w........ got in nyc- place only selling preorders.

HGHAGAAAGAAAAFFFF!!!!!

I'll be online in 60 mins if you want to try multiplayer.

Barrett2

DanielPlainview said:
The wait for GTA4 is causing zero production on my part. I have 2 finals monday, one take home final due 4/1 and a film project due sometime next week. All I keep doing is F5'ing the three main GTA4 threads :(

Save me.

Dude, you need to rise about that. April 29 is not only GTA day, it's also my 28th birthday, plus I have a massive 25 page paper due for my law school writing class. You know what I am doing right now?? I am writing my fucking ass off!!! I have Ritalin flowing through my veins and GAF on the side, like a steady drip of GTA4, just enough to keep me working, not too much to distract me. Get your ass working right now, finish your assignments, and meet me in Liberty City on Tuesday night, I will be the guy driving the Ferrari holding an AK-47!! You'll thank me later.

lawblob said:
Dude, you need to rise about that. April 29 is not only GTA day, it's also my 28th birthday, plus I have a massive 25 page paper due for my law school writing class. You know what I am doing right now?? I am writing my fucking ass off!!! I have Ritalin flowing through my veins and GAF on the side, like a steady drip of GTA4, just enough to keep me working, not too much to distract me. Get your ass working right now, finish your assignments, and meet me in Liberty City on Tuesday night, I will be the guy driving the Ferrari holding an AK-47!! You'll thank me later.

This.

No good comes from failing at life. Own the shit out of those finals and you'll enjoy GTA IV even more when you finally get around to playing it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Does the stats page give you a description of your rank in the criminal underworld? I was pretty sure GTAIII atleast had something like this, gonig from lackey to kingpin or whatever.

Concept17

lawblob said:

Thanks. I too needed this.

Teknoman

lawblob said:

25 pages? Jeez and I was crying about 10 pages...

lawblob said:

It helped a little bit. Thanks :)

SpeedingUptoStop

I need a wireless adapter for XBL, don't I? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

or can i just hook my laptop in and use that as a receiver? hmmmm?

Local store just rang me and said they are opening midnight to sell it. First time they ever did anything like this :eek:

They also seem to hint they have their stock in right now, but they also made it clear they wont sell until tuesday.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Teknoman said:
25 pages? Jeez and I was crying about 10 pages...

Haha, I'm actually crying about five pages right now.

This game is messing with my mind:

gtawp.png

How on earth did that happen. :lol

Iamthegamer said:
I need a wireless adapter for XBL, don't I? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

or can i just hook my laptop in and use that as a receiver? hmmmm?

I thought I needed a wireless adapter too, but wiring a cat5e cable from your router to your 360 while using Live should suffice in most set ups. I just started doing it a few days ago, and it's not nearly as inconvenient as I expected. I just leave one end plugged into the 360 ethernet port at all times, and plug the other end into my router when I use my 360. I'd prefer if 360 had built in wifi like almost any other system, but connecting it and disconnecting it isn't an arduous task anyway. Just make sure to unplug the cord from your router afterwards if you need to cross it through a room to connect it like I do, and alert your friends or family to it while its connected so to avoid them tripping on it.
But if a wireless adapter is really necessary, I think all wireless bridges/adapters are compatible with the 360... I might be wrong though.
And yes, you could hook it up to your laptop, but you need to activate internet connection sharing... I think that's somewhere in network connections on windows xp.

MMaRsu said:
I'll just go ahead and play some Saints Row...gotta still that open world hunger I guess

Saint's Row has been my methadone to GTA's heroin.

Not quite the same, but it got me through the last two weeks.

AgentOtaku said:
...um I really hope "auto lock-on" is disabled in MP =(
I was worried about this too, but from what I've heard it is.
_leech_ said:
EB @ Yorkdale just called. GTA IV has arrived. Midnight launch Monday.

:D
Bah. I thought you were about to say they were selling it early. I was seriously considering getting on a bus to Yorkdale since it's only about 45 minutes away.

SpeedingUptoStop

bigmakstudios said:
I thought I needed a wireless adapter too, but wiring a cat5e cable from your router to your 360 while using Live should suffice in most set ups. I just started doing it a few days ago, and it's not nearly as inconvenient as I expected. I just leave one end plugged into the 360 ethernet port at all times, and plug the other end into my router when I use my 360. I'd prefer if 360 had built in wifi like almost any other system, but connecting it and disconnecting it isn't an arduous task anyway. Just make sure to unplug the cord from your router afterwards if you need to cross it through a room to connect it like I do, and alert your friends or family to it while its connected so to avoid them tripping on it.
But if a wireless adapter is really necessary, I think all wireless bridges/adapters are compatible with the 360... I might be wrong though.
And yes, you could hook it up to your laptop, but you need to activate internet connection sharing... I think that's somewhere in network connections on windows xp.
yea, i'm gonna have to go with the laptop, since my internet is waaay in another room.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I was worried about this too, but from what I've heard it is.

Bah. I thought you were about to say they were selling it early. I was seriously considering getting on a bus to Yorkdale since it's only about 45 minutes away.

TTC strike, duh. sucka

Top Bottom