• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Davey Cakes

Big-E said:
Ya the later weapons needed to be better. There is no reason not to use the first handgun and there really is no reason to stop using it. I thought after upgrading the M92F, the unlocked gun would be much better but it is probably the worst handgun out of them all.
Right now I'm using the M92F, the Ithaca, Dragunov, H&K as my main weapons. And really, all of them seem fine.

The minor capacity or power changes for some of the other weapons seems nearly negligible. On this first playthrough, I'll just stick with what I've got.

And I still don't like the RE4 naming system for the weapons. So much better, that was.

mattso

David H Wong said:
This is one of those times a legitimate point is utterly ruined by ridiculous exaggeration. Worst since SNES/Genesis era? Uh huh.
don't you remember how impressive tails was in sonic 2?

Rindain

Banned
Wow, I suck at mercs. Played 3 rounds as Chris and 3 as Sheva, and couldn't get above a 'C'.

I'm loving this game so much though. So many unlockables and things to do.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Duck Amuck said:
Reapers are the worst RE enemy since Bandersnatches.
Now, now, let's not exagerrate. Reapers aren't that bad if you keep your distance. Bandersnatches are just awful. Poor game balance there.

Reapers have a weakpoint at least.

mattso

got me some bad blood. the little kick combo sheva does is awesome. me magnum-ing the shit out of him and then her doing that made him drop quick.

Daigoro

MiamiWesker said:
#2 overall in the world in the Veteran leaderboards (PS3)!!! :D :D :D

Most of the credit goes to my co-op partner, skitchmusic who came up with the plans and tricks, I just came along for the ride.

Overall time - 1:32'31"

sick. that is fast.

post strategies! :p

Daigoro

Duck Amuck said:
You can't see Sheva's butt because of her tribal stuff. Either way, Sheva's melee moves > Chris' melee moves, and she's more agile and prettier to look at. Chris' costumes suck. Lost opportunity. They should have made Chris Costume 2 his old costume and made Sheva costume Jill's outfit, that way it'd be like Chris and Jill again. Chris costume 3 should have been Chris WITHOUT HIS SHIRT ON to show off those pythons, and they should have kept Tribal Sheva. It'd be Tribal Chris and Tribal Sheva WRECKING HAVOK.

It took time getting used to Sheva but I haven't played as Chris since unlocking the gatling gun. No reason to.

i wish they used Chris' costume he started with (before he took off the coat and put on the weapon harness) instead of the zebra outfit. i like his STARS costume though, and the default one is cool.

we need more from DLC! sad, but true. id buy a ton of stuff if they would release it.

Davey Cakes

TheCardPlayer said:
Now, now, let's not exagerrate. Reapers aren't that bad if you keep your distance. Bandersnatches are just awful. Poor game balance there.
I hated bandersnatches. Enemies that can attack from off-screen like that have no place in classic RE.

As regards playing as Chris or Sheva after playing through the first time, I like how the RE games generally have both male and female leads to play as. The former I play as a more direct representative and feel more directly involved to the story, such as Leon and Chris. And the females always being very nice to watch go about their side of the story. Jill/Chris, Chris/Sheva, Leon/Claire, Leon/Ada, Rebecca/Billy, Bruce/Fong Ling, etc.

Currently playing as Sheva in her second costume cleaning up medallions and Veteran stages. She moves fast and provides the always-appreciated eye candy. But then I look forward to returning to playing as Chris as "myself" on his/my quest to find Jill (oh yeah,
and save the world...
). His second costume is weak though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The back of Chris' default character model looks better graphically than just about anything else in the game, so I prefer using him. It also shows the lighting off better.

I'm serious (although my current vet run has been with Sheva) :lol

Chinner

Banned
I like playing as Chris because hes big, muscly and a dude. Hes also deep, I mean shit he talks about how stuff is worthing fight for or not and he is the MAIN character. I want everything to be about me!

Also, I find it really offputting aiming/shooting on the lefthand side.

lunlunqq

I'm going to pick this game up tonight. Just wonders how big a difference there is between the two versions? Mainly in terms of gfx, frame rates, and control. I got my 360 not too long ago and have 0 friends on live. So online co-op won't be a factor. Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lunlunqq said:
I'm going to pick this game up tonight. Just wonders how big a difference there is between the two versions? Mainly in terms of gfx, frame rates, and control. I got my 360 not too long ago and have 0 friends on live. So online co-op won't be a factor. Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
If online co-op isn't a factor than the 360 is generally considered the "superior" version, although the differences are far from significant (the PS3 gets some minor frame rate drops, whereas the 360 gets infrequent tearing).

But I'd strongly recommend you play the game with someone else.

Daigoro

lunlunqq said:

got friends on PSN?

lunlunqq

Yes, all my friends are on PSN and a few did mention that they want to play with me after I get the game. So you think the advantage of the co-op on PSN could over-weight of the cons of having worse gfx?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
lunlunqq said:
Yes, all my friends are on PSN and a few did mention that they want to play with me after I get the game. So you think the advantage of the co-op on PSN could over-weight of the cons of having worse gfx?
Go with the PS3 version. The difference is negligible. Co-op play is not.

(PLAY THIS GAME IN CO-OP!)

Final boss battle is shit. Not to mention I hit a bug where I was trying to load a rocket launcher. Got kicked and was frozen in place in a loading animation so I just had to wait until I died. :(

Daigoro said:
we need more from DLC! sad, but true. id buy a ton of stuff if they would release it.

The DLC I'd pay for is
the adventure Chris and Jill went on that is only seen in Flashbacks. They could stretch that out into a few hours

I beat the game last night and
coming to work and talking to my friends, I never had to use the rocket launcher on Wesker...I simply put Sheva on attack, and would shoot Wesker from behind. Apparently he throws missiles at you at one point? The fight never even lasted that long I guess
Still, cool to hear I did it differently.

I want more RE :(

vilmer_

Playing through now to farm some gold and upgrade my weapons for a Veteran then Pro run :D I wish there was an unlockable Barry for Mercenaries.

barry.jpg

NIN90

Just played my first Co-Op seesion (Mercs on Assembly)

Holy shit, that was awesome.
My partner was Wesker and I played BSAA Chris. Great teamwork and all.
Highest combo was 57 and we scored an S rank. Wooohoo!

Pojo

Banned
Reznor said:
Play some Gears of War.
Sheva has great AI, and I guaran-damn-tee you that she'll heal you more than you have to heal her. The only time I ran into trouble was one spot before the
Wesker fight where the lickers were chasing either you or her.
She's saved my pathetic excuse for a STARS agent more times than I can count on veteran.

WTF I HATE VIDEOGAMES THESE DAYS. WOULD IT BE SO TERRIBLY DIFFICULT TO HAVE MULTIPLE SAVE FILES IN ONE PROFILE? WOULD IT? Why the fuck did everyone suddenly decide multiple saves weren't fun anymore? My co-op partner couldn't get on today so I figured I'd play through an older level just for something to do. Yay, the Select Mission will overwrite your New Game autosave. Fucking hell, we were checkpointed to the second chainsaw guy of the oilrig level.

If I have my partner start the game and then join in, will it not be stupid?

Also fuck this stupid shit of having Mercs locked. Lock the levels, if you have to, but shit.

Okay, got all the emblems. Has there been ways discussed here on how to get a lot of money in a timely fashion? Upgrading all the weapons will sure take a while.

BeeDog

brandonh83 said:
Okay, got all the emblems. Has there been ways discussed here on how to get a lot of money in a timely fashion? Upgrading all the weapons will sure take a while.

There's the rotten egg glitch that can be done, but I asked for some proper money hoarding but no one answered. :/ Right now, my guess would be chapter 5-1 on Pro, infinite ammo, grab the 6000 cr. in the safe, and kill the
lickers

Neiteio

lunlunqq said:
Having seen both versions extensively, the games look virtually identical in motion. I've played the PS3 version for dozens of hours and I never saw one bit of slowdown. The water looks fine, too (except in 2-1, which looks bad in both versions). So go with the PS3 version for free online, your friends and a more comfy controller.

As for what characters we like using... I guess I'm the only one who likes Safari Chris. Seriously, switch to Safari and rewatch the cutscene "Sky-high Skirmish," and try and tell me he DOESN'T look like a bona fide BAMF when
Wesker
holds him at gunpoint. He may look funny in his render on the Costume Select screen (due in large part to an unflattering pose that makes him look too "square"), but in motion and from the right angles the zebra duds, silver hair and shades look tight.

Plus, in Mercs he's your go-to guys for insta-kills against big bads. Well, until he's outta rockets anyway. He's a godsend on Prison where the Fire Executioner would otherwise take forever to destroy.

Speaking of which, I had the most badass moment in Mercs today. I was playing splitscreen with my brother on Ship Deck, we were both at the top of the tallest tower (the one with the proximity mines), when my bro took the zipline down to the other tower (the one with two rockets) and I stayed behind to rig mines at the top of the ladder. At that moment TWO Chainsaw Majinis hopped up. I unload a shotty on them, they come after me and nearly slice my head off as I slide down the zipline. At the same time, my brother shoots a rocket from the tower on the other side, which passes right under my legs as I'm halfway down the zipline. On his half of the screen I see both myself sliding toward him and his rocket flying past me, causing the two Chainsaw Majini on the plat to explode. EPIC.

Neiteio

Son of Godzilla said:
WTF I HATE VIDEOGAMES THESE DAYS. WOULD IT BE SO TERRIBLY DIFFICULT TO HAVE MULTIPLE SAVE FILES IN ONE PROFILE? WOULD IT? Why the fuck did everyone suddenly decide multiple saves weren't fun anymore? My co-op partner couldn't get on today so I figured I'd play through an older level just for something to do. Yay, the Select Mission will overwrite your New Game autosave. Fucking hell, we were checkpointed to the second chainsaw guy of the oilrig level.

If I have my partner start the game and then join in, will it not be stupid?

Also fuck this stupid shit of having Mercs locked. Lock the levels, if you have to, but shit.
I think you still have New Game. All it does is allow you to play as Sheva, which you can now do when choosing any level.

BeeDog said:
There's the rotten egg glitch that can be done, but I asked for some proper money hoarding but no one answered. :/ Right now, my guess would be chapter 5-1 on Pro, infinite ammo, grab the 6000 cr. in the safe, and kill the
lickers

Sounds good. Thanks.

David H Wong said:
This is one of those times a legitimate point is utterly ruined by ridiculous exaggeration. Worst since SNES/Genesis era? Uh huh.
It's not like he's saying that it's the worst AI in the history of gaming. It's just the worst AI in the history of HIS gaming experience.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
BeeDog said:
lickers

My usual money whoring process :

Ch. 3-1. There's a lot of treasures throughout the area if you explore enough. Pick up the Rocket Launcher from the sunken boat last, then quit.

Go to Ch. 4-1 and bring the RL you got from 3-1. This level has a ton of stuff to pick up, so check all lanterns, cattle skulls, and search for jewels embedded in the rocks. Use the RL on the
giant bat thing
at the end rather than running up the stairs. It drops a treasure worth 10K.

This got me around 75K total last night. I know where everything is so it doesn't take me very long to do.

Rindain

Banned
Anyone here trying to find the BSAA emblems without a guide?

I'm thinking of trying to find most of them on my own (I already used a guide for my remaining ones from chapters 1 and 2). They are so well hidden, I'd imagine it could take days of constant playtime to find them all.

Rindain said:
Anyone here trying to find the BSAA emblems without a guide?

I'm thinking of trying to find most of them on my own (I already used a guide for my remaining ones from chapters 1 and 2). They are so well hidden, I'd imagine it could take days of constant playtime to find them all.

You'll never get them if you don't use a guide. I mean, maybe if you do it for a few years or something. Some of them are that bad. I used a guide and don't regret it one bit, there were more than 5 placings that I would have never found without blind luck.

edit: can you only get the gold eggs on veteran?

kamorra said:
Too bad, I also want to try this. I'm tired of doing 3-1 over and over again.

I'm on PSN and playing right now if you want to try it, I don't have any rotten eggs though, I'm not sure if that matters. I don't know anything about the glitch.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
brandonh83 said:
I'm on PSN and playing right now if you want to try it, I don't have any rotten eggs though, I'm not sure if that matters. I don't know anything about the glitch.

Ok, will send you a friend request now.

Top Bottom