• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

{Mike}

Banned
How much time does it take to upgrade every gun? 20 hours + in now. Takes forever. In fact, I still do not have all guns, I think I miss one :/ (didnt get the trophy). Everything in store is bought, but I'll make sure later. I finally got the Lead Aspiring trophy, and the BSAA emblems one even though I cheated because some of them are impossible to find, really.

Neiteio

I'm listening to the theme from the part where you
free Jill from Wesker's control
, which you can DOWNLOAD HERE, and I must say that whole sequence was amazing.

Stuff I liked:
The "Entreat" command (very dramatic). Jill's animalistic behavior. Shooting the device to stun her and throw her down so you can better pry off the device. Jill running up walls. The look of sheer anguish on everyone's face as they struggle to pull it off. And Jill herself; the battle suit is sublime and I like her voice too.

I also liked the part before that, which was like hide-and-seek with Krauser but
Wesker
actually moves around the whole area in real-time rather than disappearing and respawning at random blind spots. Once I figured out what to do, I thought it was fun using the radar to see when you've shaken
Wesker
off your trail, and then using the cover system to sneak up on him and deal some damage. I also like when he gets you in the QTE chokehold and you try punching his gut and drawing your blade. All in all, a nice twist on the boss fight.

I thought it was fantastic fan-service for fans of that character. I was a huge one so it delighted me quite a bit. People complained about her usage in the game but I thought it was a pretty great twist. If, a few years ago someone said hey,
in RE5 Wesker will have Jill under his control and there's a dual boss battle with them
, I would have either not believed them, or shit in my pants.

Music during the second part of mentioned boss battle is amazing.

Alivor

Sheva as AI is really annoying me. I give her my upgraded guns and tons of ammo, but as soon as I'm dying or in help, she just watches me die. So frustrating.

Alivor said:
Sheva as AI is really annoying me. I give her my upgraded guns and tons of ammo, but as soon as I'm dying or in help, she just watches me die. So frustrating.

2b4l74.png

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
I thought it was fantastic fan-service for fans of that character. I was a huge one so it delighted me quite a bit. People complained about her usage in the game but I thought it was a pretty great twist. If, a few years ago someone said hey,
in RE5 Wesker will have Jill under his control and there's a dual boss battle with them
, I would have either not believed them, or shit in my pants.
Yeah, plus I really dug how Chris cared for her, and the gravity that love brought to the scene. His whole cynical worldview -- the whole question of whether all the shit he puts up with "is worth fighting for" -- stemmed from his failure to save her when she had selflessly saved him. So in a way, Chris putting himself on the line and saving his partner (and later on, another one) gave him something to believe in again, that he could make a difference. That right there is more character development than I'm accustomed to in the new RE titles, and I liked it.

Plus, while we know from the computer on the elevator where you fought
U-8
that
Jill
is now blonde as a side effect of experiments, it's stylistically an awesome parallel to
Wesker
, making her his female counterpart. As you said, the idea of this character becoming a weapon for
Wesker
is pants-shittingly awesome.

EDIT: I also like how delicately Chris tries to remove the device. At some points he's barely prying it with his fingertips, because he doesn't want to hurt her. Nice detail.

Neiteio said:
Yeah, plus I really dug how Chris cared for her, and the gravity that love brought to the scene. His whole cynical worldview -- the whole question of whether all the shit he puts up with "is worth fighting for" -- stemmed from his failure to save her when she had selflessly saved him. So in a way, Chris putting himself on the line and saving his partner (and later on, another one) gave him something to believe in again, that he could make a difference. That right there is more character development than I'm accustomed to in the new RE titles, and I liked it.

This stuff really contributes to why it's my second favorite in the series behind RE2. I thought they went the extra mile with the fanservice and I loved it.

Though I liked how it ended, there's one thing that could have happened that I might've liked as well:
Chris and Wesker fight in the plane, Sheva takes control of the plane to try to crash-land it, it lands in the volcano and Sheva dies in the crash. Or, at least, gets injured or something preventing her from helping further. Chris then has to fight Wesker in the volcano alone in the first half, then Jill joins him in the second half and they take him out together. BUT having her come down in the chopper and provide the rocket launchers (!!!) was great enough

Volcynika

All I need to do trophy wise is find all the treasures (5 or 6 left) and then beat Pro Mode.

D:

Hate trying to find all those treasures, some guides aren't very helpful.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
burgerdog said:
2-3 is ridiculously easy on pro, it's just like any other difficulty. You could take a bunch of hits before you get to the boss. Boss can two-shot you but avoiding his attacks is super easy.

Ya it wasnt that hard, very refreshing to see AI sheva actually shoot stuff. Im at 4-1 now but Im not sure how to approach the 2nd to last switch sequence, tips anyone?

Volcynika said:
All I need to do trophy wise is find all the treasures (5 or 6 left) and then beat Pro Mode.

D:

Hate trying to find all those treasures, some guides aren't very helpful.

add to the fact that I thought that a treasure can fit in each slot, but I was stupid and didn't do the math, and therefore did not realize that there would be spaces left over even after getting all 50. so I looked at some lists and it took me like 10 minutes to realize that I only had one left to get instead of six. :lol

Volcynika

brandonh83 said:
add to the fact that I thought that a treasure can fit in each slot, but I was stupid and didn't do the math, and therefore did not realize that there would be spaces left over even after getting all 50. so I looked at some lists and it took me like 10 minutes to realize that I only had one left to get instead of six. :lol

I have to still run through and get that one on the
Wesker battle at the end

SDLKjflksfs

Volcynika said:
I have to still run through and get that one on the
Wesker battle at the end

SDLKjflksfs

it's not hard. it confused me at first because as you said some of the guides online are really vague, like "shoot that rock and the stars will align to the left and under that there's a man-made building and you'll see the gem just barely shining in the north-west quadrant of the tip of the opposite side of the roof."

ok that wasn't vague, just retarded, but you get the point.

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
This stuff really contributes to why it's my second favorite in the series behind RE2. I thought they went the extra mile with the fanservice and I loved it.

Though I liked how it ended, there's one thing that could have happened that I might've liked as well:
Chris and Wesker fight in the plane, Sheva takes control of the plane to try to crash-land it, it lands in the volcano and Sheva dies in the crash. Or, at least, gets injured or something preventing her from helping further. Chris then has to fight Wesker in the volcano alone in the first half, then Jill joins him in the second half and they take him out together. BUT having her come down in the chopper and provide the rocket launchers (!!!) was great enough
That's a neat idea, but the
rocket launchers
and
evac chopper
are a nice bit of full-circle nostalgia, and the character in question was probably still weak at that point. If I could add anything to the ending, I would've liked to see what sort of life Chris, Sheva and the character in question had afterward. Maybe
Chris could marry Jill
. A bit soap-opera-esque to be sure, but I just love those two.

Man, I'd love to forget the ending and replay it all over again. The final three battles of 6-3 --
Wesker in the hangar bay, Wesker in the bomber's cargo hold, and Wesker in the volcano
-- had my jaw on the floor. It's been a while since I've experienced a grand finale that epic. Almost Ocarina-grade epic. I went to bed at three or four in the morning with this stupid-ass grin on my face. :D

Volcynika

brandonh83 said:
it's not hard. it confused me at first because as you said some of the guides online are really vague, like "shoot that rock and the stars will align to the left and under that there's a man-made building and you'll see the gem just barely shining in the north-west quadrant of the tip of the opposite side of the roof."

ok that wasn't vague, just retarded, but you get the point.

WHEN THE PLANETS ALIGN AND THE STARS COLLIDE, THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE TREASURE BE AVAILABLE.

:p

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:

I have 8 spaces left so are you saying that there are only 3 more treasures I would need? I've never counted all the spaces but I just assumed there were fifty.

Volcynika said:
WHEN THE PLANETS ALIGN AND THE STARS COLLIDE, THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE TREASURE BE AVAILABLE.

:p

:lol one of the guides I read, no shit, was like "it's between these two buildings" or something like that, and they even provided a picture but it was like... zoomed up on the BSAA emblem and you couldn't see ANY environmental clues around it :lol :lol
I have 8 spaces left so are you saying that there are only 3 more treasures I would need? I've never counted all the spaces but I just assumed there were fifty.

That sounds about right, I think there are something like 3-4 empty spaces when you have them all.

Neiteio said:
That's a neat idea, but the
rocket launchers
and
evac chopper
are a nice bit of full-circle nostalgia, and the character in question was probably still weak at that point. If I could add anything to the ending, I would've liked to see what sort of life Chris, Sheva and the character in question had afterward. Maybe
Chris could marry Jill
. A bit soap-opera-esque to be sure, but I just love those two.

Man, I'd love to forget the ending and replay it all over again. The final three battles of 6-3 --
Wesker in the hangar bay, Wesker in the bomber's cargo hold, and Wesker in the volcano
-- had my jaw on the floor. It's been a while since I've experienced a grand finale that epic. Almost Ocarina-grade epic. I went to bed at three or four in the morning with this stupid-ass grin on my face. :D

I was just surprised at how satisfying the
Wesker confrontation ended up being. After all this time of waiting you'd expect it to be kind of "meh," like how they were just like oh Umbrella's gone, their stocks fell and this and that
. But it ended up being really long and epic and hardcore with amazing setpieces, amazing music, and amazing execution.

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
I was just surprised at how satisfying the
Wesker confrontation ended up being. After all this time of waiting you'd expect it to be kind of "meh," like how they were just like oh Umbrella's gone, their stocks fell and this and that
. But it ended up being really long and epic and hardcore with amazing setpieces, amazing music, and amazing execution.
Yes, yes, and yes! But special emphasis on the music. If you go to THIS LINK and download "Wind of Madness" and "Deep Ambition," you'll have two of the best songs in the series, and guess what? Both deal with
Wesker
. I especially love "Wind of Madness." Ever since I first heard it at the end of the second TGS '08 trailer (the one that was only available offscreen for the longest time), I was in love with it and was thrilled to see that it and all the music in the trailers were actual game music and not stock music for promo only. "Wind of Madness" is Resident Evil's "Duel of the Fates," its "Neodammerung." Pure, epic, be-all end-all fight music (even though it was the second from the last fight, or third if you count the QTE in the bomber).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
just spent an entire evening achievement hunting. thank god for the rotten egg glitch, upgraded every weapon in a flash using the duplication. I wouldn't think of using it on the earlier playthroughs, but once you're powerful it doesn't matter and it just speeds up the process.

Question: to get an S rank in a level, do you have to get an S rank in every sub category? If so I can see this getting quite annoying. The only chapter I S'd so far is the on rails one :s

mattso

Darunia said:
just spent an entire evening achievement hunting. thank god for the rotten egg glitch, upgraded every weapon in a flash using the duplication. I wouldn't think of using it on the earlier playthroughs, but once you're powerful it doesn't matter and it just speeds up the process.

Question: to get an S rank in a level, do you have to get an S rank in every sub category? If so I can see this getting quite annoying. The only chapter I S'd so far is the on rails one :s
no but overall it seems you have to have mostly s ranks

mattso

man, over break at home I was playing this on and old tv, came back to my dorm and plugged it back into my hdtv (only 19 inch but perfect for a dorm) and I forgot how amazing this game looks

Neiteio said:
Yes, yes, and yes! But special emphasis on the music. If you go to THIS LINK and download "Wind of Madness" and "Deep Ambition," you'll have two of the best songs in the series, and guess what? Both deal with
Wesker
. I especially love "Wind of Madness." Ever since I first heard it at the end of the second TGS '08 trailer (the one that was only available offscreen for the longest time), I was in love with it and was thrilled to see that it and all the music in the trailers were actual game music and not stock music for promo only. "Wind of Madness" is Resident Evil's "Duel of the Fates," its "Neodammerung." Pure, epic, be-all end-all fight music (even though it was the second from the last fight, or third if you count the QTE in the bomber).

Yeah I have the soundtrack. Those tracks are incredible. On the bonus disc it shows the composers and orchestra at the 20th Century Fox studio recording the music.

p.s. how does online co-op mercenaries work? can someone help you get higher scroes? the last level is giving me some trouble. Neiteio, I was about to send you a message on the PSN asking about it but it was too much to type in using the controller :lol

I plan on playing A LOT tonight since I don't have classes tomorrow. I really want to get some stuff done.

Ptaaty

TheExorzist said:
It's just as straight forward as it could get. You don't need to back track once in the entire game

I know you were citing how RE5 is so dumbed down, but you highlighted one of the best improvements. No back tracking.

Thank God. It makes this game replayable, much more so. I hate backtrackathons...one of the biggest issues I had with DMC4, which otherwise I liked OK.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
brandonh83 said:
p.s. how does online co-op mercenaries work? can someone help you get higher scroes? the last level is giving me some trouble. Neiteio, I was about to send you a message on the PSN asking about it but it was too much to type in using the controller :lol

I can try to help you with Prison if you want. Send a message to "Pak38". Rank requirements for Duo is 80k for A, 120k for S, and 150k for SS.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Finally I got A in prision with Midnight Wesker!

STARS Wesker is mine
:D

someone congratulate me

Volcynika

Duck Amuck said:
Ah yes.

Did everything in this game. Beat pro mode tonight and got 1000/1000.

I think I can honestly say, despite all the flaws, RE5 was the most fun I've had this gen, and I haven't even had a co-op partner yet.

I'm one step from that! Just finished all the treasures, now all that's left is to finish the last half (funnnnnnnn) of the game on pro.

TheFatOne

I have a problem with RE5 and was wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I beat the game
on amateur yea I know I suck at this game
but when I go back to replay a chapter (3-1) it never loads up. It stays stuck on the loading screen. Has anyone else experienced this issue. I'm playing this on the PS3 BTW.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RoboPlato said:
How bad is the game on Veteran? I've got the Handcannon, S75, M3 all maxed out with infinite ammo. Should I be OK?

I found Veteran to be an awesome difficulty to start off with, so you should breeze through it like that. :p

Just finished the game on Normal for the first time. Played Co-Op with a friend. Enjoyed it, but the story was definitely lacking. Didn't take the series anywhere. Kind of makes you wonder where they are going to go for RE6. I'll post more thoughts tomorrow probably.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RoboPlato said:
How bad is the game on Veteran? I've got the Handcannon, S75, M3 all maxed out with infinite ammo. Should I be OK?
Vet or Pro?

Pro should be doable, but it'll be very difficult (get a partner if possible, or better yet, leave your game open, anyone joining a Pro game is likely to be a very competent player).

Vet, on the other hand, you'll breeze through. :lol

brandonh83 said:
someone want to help me get a high rank on prison?
I would, but I'm not home at the moment. Do you have the PS3 or the 360 version? I'd like to unlock STARS Wesker.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Rez said:
Vet or Pro?

Pro should be doable, but it'll be very difficult (get a partner if possible, or better yet, leave your game open, anyone joining a Pro game is likely to be a very competent player).

Vet, on the other hand, you'll breeze through. :lol
Vet, judging by the reactions I guess I went a little overboard getting stuff maxed out before taking it on. :lol I plan on going into Pro with Sheva having the Longbow and adding the Infinite Ammo RPG to my arsenal.

TChirath

Neo Member
RoboPlato said:
Vet, judging by the reactions I guess I went a little overboard getting stuff maxed out before taking it on. :lol I plan on going into Pro with Sheva having the Longbow and adding the Infinite Ammo RPG to my arsenal.

Infinite RPG will help you more on pro than any other weapons could. I'm not that good at the game, but I was able to beat pro with RPG. If you need a co-op partner for pro, feel free to invite. PSN is the same as username.

The key in Pro is to basically stand back to back with your partner when you're in situations where you might be surrounded.

Also the Longbow is awesome for Pro. It's pretty much an instant ill each time. It takes some practice to aim though.

You'll also want a shotgun unlimited ammo for kickback and spray.

-Winnie-

I'd just like to mention that the soundtrack in RE5 is incredible. A good soundtrack is usually what makes me truly love a game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kard8p3 said:
So how bad is 2-3 on pro? I'm about to be there and I want to know what I'm getting into.
It's only the Ndesu fight that can be an issue. As long as you hit the QTEs, which my partner and I could do easily, you should be okay. The only issue I had was stopping those fucking boulders that he throws at you occasionally.

But yeah, me and my friend died something like 17 times. Good luck with it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Son of Godzilla said:
Do all the weapons get added to the shop as you pass the level they were in or do you actually have to find some?
If you miss them, then they will be added to the shop.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Kard8p3 said:
So how bad is 2-3 on pro? I'm about to be there and I want to know what I'm getting into.

Not that bad, even with the AI.

Keep an eye for the Majini tossing molotovs on the left, as well as the boulders. shoot the shit out of the boulders as soon as he picks it up & it won't hit you.

cvxfreak

I left my PS3 in the U.S., meaning that I have to redo all my accomplishments with my new PS3 here in Japan. Damn uncopiable save. :(

Still have to complete the 360 version, which I did actually bring with me.

eso76

Despite a large backlog of games i barely touched i find myself going back to RE5 and enjoying it more and more. Approaching 45hrs right now, and that's quite an achievment for the game, considering i hardly ever keep playing games after my first playthrough.

I keep discovering new stuff in mercenaries arenas; some of them are incredibly well crafted, as are most large areas in the game. Public Assembly (which is just the one i'm more familiar with) is an amazing playground and according to your character you can set up tons of different strategies; you could play those levels over and over and never get tired; they put so much work in planning things, level design, making every character feel different (though somehow keeping things rather balanced) and putting a well thought progression in (actually interesting) unlockables that has you coming back for more.
They could just sell mercenaries as a stand alone product and i wouldn't be complaining (hell, it has more depth to it than L4D).
The more i play it, the more i appreciate Capcom's job, and speaking of controls...well, i wouldn't want them to change. In that context, anything else wouldn't have worked the same towards building the tension without being too frustrating.
RE5 for me went from 7 (demo, first couple chapters) to 8.5 (first playthrough) to 9.5.
Currently in the top 3 games of this gen for me, and like i already said, while the initial reactions were somewhat mixed, in time it will be regarded as one of the finest products this gen.

Amazing job Capcom. <3<3<3<3<3

I haven't finished the game as yet, but let me be another one to compare this to RE4. This game is a lot of fun and filled with great set pieces, but it could have been so much more. RE4 had a simple enough plot that engaged me, and this doesn't have that. The military-type stuff fails to capture my attention. The levels aren't nearly as well laid-out as RE4's - granted, some of it feels natural, but mostly it just seems like running/driving/boating/whatever from one place to another with no real sense of purpose or direction.

Sheva is actually more annoying to deal with than Ashley, in my opinion - and Sheva can attack. Playing RE5 in co-op is really the way it's meant to be. I played a few chapters in co-op earlier and it was frantic fun, a lot more so than single player. Some have mentioned before the "dumbing down" from RE4 and I'd have to agree. Why is this? Why can't I combine treasures and sell them, giving me more incentive to hunt? Why is the inventory management stripped down? I can maybe understand that for the sake of simplicity and to add to the intensity, but you can just run away from most situations and manage your inventory during a brawl. Where are the puzzles?

To me, the game lacks a lot of personality. RE4 was wonderfully campy, as is RE5, but it really lacks the charm a lot of the characters possessed, and the intensity of the encounters in RE4 remain second to none in my opinion. I don't know, it just seems as if RE5 is missing something - probably because RE4 was the first time we were presented with that sort of gameplay in a Resident Evil title. No, scratch that - it's a lot deeper than that. It's missing a lot of other things that made RE4 special.

I can almost intimately remember the structure of RE4, that is, the rooms and what you would encounter in each of them - and I didn't even play it that much beyond finishing it. I just don't have that here because the locations seem to lack coherency to me. Also, is it just me, or does it seem as if the items/treasures have less detail than those in RE4? Maybe that part's just my imagination.

The controls are good, I didn't have too many problems becoming acquainted with them (playing on 360). The Wii controls of RE4 Wii Edition are still unmatched, surprisingly. I actually thought that perhaps, when I played RE4Wii, I was just taken in by the new controls, but it actually worked really well. That's a moot point though, as the game isn't on that system. Still, it made an already great game even more fun to play.

All in all, despite all the flaws, I'm still having a lot of fun with RE5 and I'm hooked to its completion. I just can't shake the feeling however that RE4 seemed like a lot more... love was put into it, for lack of a better word. RE5 looks stunning and the gameplay is totally solid, but I expected a lot more from it. The game may look great, but the characters and story are totally lifeless.

Anyway, tl;dr. I just wanted to mention what was bothering me.

burgerdog

Spoilers are defined as anything not meant to be revealed before the release of the game in Japan.

Are we just using spoiler tags out of kindness now? I know that particular rule was stupid(sorry CVX!) since most of the people that are posting in this thread are playing the US version. However, the game will have been out for two weeks once Friday rolls along. We should be safe to talk about the game without spoiling, right?

Top Bottom