• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
burgerdog said:
Are we just using spoiler tags out of kindness now? I know that particular rule was stupid(sorry CVX!) since most of the people that are posting in this thread are playing the US version. However, the game will have been out for two weeks once Friday rolls along. We should be safe to talk about the game without spoiling, right?
The MGS4 thread still uses spoiler tags. Get used to it. =p

KevinCow

Banned
AI partner + giant laser beam room = FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Holy shit was that frustrating. I had to use up three full heal items because the stupid bitch kept just standing in the way of the giant laser beam.

burgerdog

Rez said:
The MGS4 thread still uses spoiler tags. Get used to it. =p

Here we go!
I just want to keep my avatar!
Do you guys think it'll be relatively easy to make a mod for RE5 PC that allows you to play as
Jill or Wesker
during story mode?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Scalpel Knight said:
I haven't finished the game as yet, but let me be another one to compare this to RE4.

Anyway, tl;dr. I just wanted to mention what was bothering me.
Yeah, same here. RE5 is great, but something's missing. As for the treasure, I was saving so much stuff since I thought that treasures could be upgraded and sold for more like in RE4. It didn't help that the "upgrade" button was still present on the treasures tab.

Anyway, there didn't seem to be as much stuff in RE5 that made an impression on me the way that "Your right hand comes off", or "ballistics", or "Hey, it's that dog", or the El Gigante fights, or Verdugo, or "No Saddler, you're small time!", or oven boy.

We need Leon as DLC for Mercenaries. I'm totally missing the suplex.

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, same here. RE5 is great, but something's missing. As for the treasure, I was saving so much stuff since I thought that treasures could be upgraded and sold for more like in RE4. It didn't help that the "upgrade" button was still present on the treasures tab.

Anyway, there didn't seem to be as much stuff in RE5 that made an impression on me the way that "Your right hand comes off", or "ballistics", or "Hey, it's that dog", or the El Gigante fights, or Verdugo, or "No Saddler, you're small time!", or oven boy.

We need Leon as DLC for Mercenaries. I'm totally missing the suplex.
Dude, RE5 is *better*. Fullstop. All the fucking lines about
flowers
? Are you fucking kidding me? There's like thirty of them and each better than the last.

I loved that retarded midget as much as the next guy, but Sheva and Chris themselves are three times as stupid. WHAT DOES THE WORD EVOLUTION MEAN?

dejan

Got to chapter 5-3 and I think Resident Evil 5 is a pretty good action game. Yes, Chris may be not quite as agile as a handicapped 70 year old and Sheva sometimes thinks the best way to help you is by standing in your line of fire, but these issues haven't bothered my that much. The game is so varied, every chapter introduces something new and most encounters - except the bossfights, which I hated - are really fun to tackle. The highpoint graphics and gameplay wise so far for me personally has been chapter 4.

I want to finish the singleplayer first and then delve into the coop stuff. I'm pretty new to the whole Xbox 360 experience, so if I want to play this game online coop I'll need Xbox Live Gold right?

burgerdog said:
Here we go!
Do you guys think it'll be relatively easy to make a mod for RE5 PC that allows you to play as
Jill or Wesker
during story mode?

I'm pretty sure you could play as various other characters in single player on RE4 using mods, so possibly. It had it's problems though.

I just want the Samurai Edge in the main campaign :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
burgerdog said:
Here we go!
Jill or Wesker
during story mode?
I'm not sure how open the MT Framework engine is for that sort of thing. Did DMC4 or LP get much, if any, mod support?

And Baloonatic, the RE5 PC port won't even be comparable to the RE4 one. It will, however, be comparable to the stellar DMC4 PC port (same engine, and it's PC based).

gantz85

Banned
dejan said:
I want to finish the singleplayer first and then delve into the coop stuff. I'm pretty new to the whole Xbox 360 experience, so if I want to play this game online coop I'll need Xbox Live Gold right?

Wait, is this true? :lol I've been taking online play for free for granted since I play on the PS3 but this sucks if true.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
gantz85 said:
Wait, is this true? :lol I've been taking online play for free for granted since I play on the PS3 but this sucks if true.
next time, more subtle. k, champ?

Chinner

Banned
Managed to get my overall game time on normal down to 1 hour 38 minutes and at position 72. Theres only like 10 brits in the top 100 and I'm one of them :p.

Anyway, anyone got any tips to cut down the time more? For example, overall on chapter 2 it took me about 17 mins to complete it, the person in the top spot only took 13 mins. And on chapter 3 took me about 20 mins but the top spot is 16 mins.

Sectus

Rez said:
I'm not sure how open the MT Framework engine is for that sort of thing. Did DMC4 or LP get much, if any, mod support?
Lost Planet had pretty much a non-existant mod community. DMC4 had a small active community (who had worked on modding DMC3 on PC), but they didn't make much progress. I checked just now and people has finally figured out how to extract all the data files and the format for the textures (and models I think). So RE5 will at least be more likely that people will be able to mod, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

-Winnie-

Question about the story.
I've only played RE4, but I've watched the GT RE retrospectives, so I a little bit of the backstory. Anyway, what was the virus which was being spread in RE5? I was under the impression that it was the Las Plagas, but then there are the zombies later on with grey, scaly looking skin that don't seem like the villagers in RE4 or the early zombies in RE5. And then there's lots of references to the flowers and the Progenitor virus (which made the original zombies, yes?). And then there's the whole thing about the Uroboros as well. Confusing. :/

Rez said:

And Baloonatic, the RE5 PC port won't even be comparable to the RE4 one. It will, however, be comparable to the stellar DMC4 PC port (same engine, and it's PC based).

I meant that playing as other characters in single player had it's problems, like crashes and stuff. But yeah the RE4 port overall was a piece of shit. Nowhere near as bad as DMC3 though.

I have DMC4 and Lost Planet on PC so I know that Capcom can do them properly, just that Ubisoft can't :p

KevinCow

Banned
-Winnie- said:
I've only played RE4, but I've watched the GT RE retrospectives, so I a little bit of the backstory. Anyway, what was the virus which was being spread in RE5? I was under the impression that it was the Las Plagas, but then there are the zombies later on with grey, scaly looking skin that don't seem like the villagers in RE4 or the early zombies in RE5. And then there's lots of references to the flowers and the Progenitor virus (which made the original zombies, yes?). And then there's the whole thing about the Uroboros as well. Confusing. :/
The way I understand it:

The main enemies were infected with a modified Las Plagas that transformed people faster than the RE4 one.

The gray zombie things on conveyor belts later on, if that's what you're talking about, were failed experiments.

The flowers led to the creation of Uroboros.

Man do I suck at mercenaries. Of course, I've only played through it once or twice. Still, that is going to be one fun mode to mess around in.

MechaX

Rentahamster said:

Yeah, the only thing that really made an impression on me was Chris' boulder ownage.

Prine

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
Game of the generation. Will anything top it?*

* - That's not made by Capcom

Seriously. This game is one of the highlights of this gen. So well done (im playing co op with a mate).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MechaX said:
Yeah, the only thing that really made an impression on me was Chris' boulder ownage.

Actually, this is one of my favorite lines:

"Something about the Philosopher's Stone and extracting DNA....
it doesn't matter what she says, she's just a terrorist, end of story."

If Chris doesn't understand it, it's just terrorist talk. :lol

And every time they mention "partner" during the game, like they're pounding it into your head that this game is centered around a cooperative angle. "We were partners, I'm sure." "I thought they were partners?" "You're going to need a partner, right?" "Thanks, partner!"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Can anyone recommend a good method of racking up money so i can work on maxing my weapons?

Im only on stage 3-1, so please no spoilers!!! :D

If you're only on 3-1, you can't max your weapons yet. The game does a good job of limiting how much you can upgrade on your first playthrough. For farming purposes and getting money, I think you're a little early for that. There are later levels that lend themselves much better to treasure hunting.

Daigoro

100% 1000/1000 as of last night as well.

now all thats left is more Mercs (a metric ton more), speed runs, and running through the campaign with various friends.

great game.

Darunia said:
This game is really good, but game of the generation? hell no. Dead Rising and Galaxy still share that throne.

well anything compared to Galaxy isn't that great but Dead Rising was really overrated to me. RE5 easily trumps it in my book, by far, on every level.

p.s. my in-game clock on the stats screen says that I've been playing RE5 for nearly 70 hours 0_o

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
If you're only on 3-1, you can't max your weapons yet. The game does a good job of limiting how much you can upgrade on your first playthrough. For farming purposes and getting money, I think you're a little early for that. There are later levels that lend themselves much better to treasure hunting.

Ok, awesome. Can you at least give me the level number so i know which one i should use for cash farming?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ok, awesome. Can you at least give me the level number so i know which one i should use for cash farming?
5-2 but there's a trick to how to do it that I don't want to spoil for you. You can basically keep doing one part of it, quitting, saving your inventory, and starting at the checkpoint before it. You get at least 12,500 each time and it takes 2 minutes to do.

USD

(Some) Japanese people are insane at this game. Me and the random guy I was just playing with managed to kill all the enemies in The Mines in each of the four times we played together, something I've never managed to pull off consistently (only had done it once before this, which I will quickly attribute to my partners' lack of skill, being the dick that I am). Pull off a 275,000 or so in our best run.

Right now I'm in the top 400 (my highest being 220ish) in duo in all the stages but Public Assembly and Missile Area, both of which I'm not even in the top 1000. I should start playing solo more consistently and see how I compare to other people.
brandonh83 said:
p.s. my in-game clock on the stats screen says that I've been playing RE5 for nearly 70 hours 0_o
I've just over 80, I did have free 10 days to pump as many hours as I wanted into the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
sloppyjoe_gamer said:

5-3 is another pretty good choice. If you know where all the treasures are on that level, you can beat it in around 20 minutes and get around 50,000 gold, if I remember correctly.

Neiteio

-Winnie- said:
It IS Las Plagas. It's actually a very neat story. Here's how it works:

-
To control the region so he could launch Uroboros, Wesker had Jill go around administering Type 2 Plagas to locals, creating a Majini army that could stop the BSAA once they arrived to shut down Irving's black-market arms deals, which were funding Uroboros. One of the files lying on a table early in the game says Type 2 Plagas are modified plagas administered orally (which you see happen to the black Majini early in the game). Type 2 Plagas take over their hosts instantly, unlike the slow growth of the plagas in RE4, and as an added side effect they sometimes cause size and strength increases, as the game notes with the Giant Majini. Also, on the ride across the savannah Josh contacts you by radio and says they're dealing with plagas.

-
According to Excella's file, Wesker seduced her and helped her take over Tricell Africa so he could restore the original Umbrella Research Facility near the Ndipaya ruins and finish research on the Stairway to the Sun flower, using the extracted Progenitor Virus to power up Type 2 Plagas and create a new organism, Uroboros, that has one of two effects on its host: it rejects their DNA and "evolves" them into a writhing mass of wormy pustules that consume all organic material but can be controlled like any other plaga, OR it accepts its master's DNA, binding with him to create a superhuman. Wesker knew he was the only one who could handle Uroboros; the rest of man would transform into a race of monsters that'd live peacefully under his god-like control. And so he ultimately wants to detonate a smorgasbord of Uroboros-loaded missiles high in the atmosphere, spreading the contagion on the wind for "complete global saturation" (I take it this is also where the song "Wind of Madness" get its name, Uroboros spreading on the trade winds).

-
All of the other viruses were merely Wesker's to help fund Uroboros (Irving selling BOWs like U-8 on the black market, which unfortunately for Wesker draws the eye of the BSAA), or to enhance his own BOWs. Jill, for instance, was preserved by Wesker because he found traces of the T-virus in her system and decided to cultivate her into the super-soldier Umbrella wanted all along. So the most important biological agents were the Progenitor/Plaga cocktail that is Uroboros; everything else is just gravy.

Oh, and guys, try beating the game before critiquing the story, and actually pay attention to the story. This isn't directed at you, Winnie, but at the people only on Chapter 3 who say this story is somehow worse than RE4, which is absolutely NOT true. In fact, if you pay attention there's always a strong reason you go from point A to point B in the story, and the grand finale and what's at stake is the best in the series.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I can't believe Chris's AI is worse than that of Sheva's. I didn't think it was possible but somehow Capcom pulled it off. I was looking forward to playing with Sheva from now on but Chris is far too mentally handicapped to trust with your life. Especially infuriating since I'm going for my S rankings on Professional mode. He makes Sheva look like Max Plank fused with the Comedian.

LiK

got a question:
why is Jill blonde? wasn't she always brunette or did they explain that somewhere? i dunno, kinda inconsistent considering she's brunette in every other game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
For farming use 4-1. I can breeze through it in 10 minutes and net 40,000 each time. By using the quit saving inventory exploit you can play the boss fight over and over again which is super easy and drops a 10,000 emerald heart. This is also one of the easiest stages to get an S-ranking in for an easy 2000 points. For those who suck at mercs and want to unlock everything that is your best option for an easy money/points combo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
KevinCow said:
What's the deal with the girl in 1-2? Just, like, random white girl in the middle of Africa. Is that explained?

Yes, technically she's a random girl. I think she's also a character from the Kijuju blog that Capcom used for marketing hype.

LiK said:
got a question:
why is Jill blonde? wasn't she always brunette or did they explain that somewhere? i dunno, kinda inconsistent considering she's brunette in every other game.

I think it's explained in one of the files. I forget why exactly, but it is explained.

LiK said:
got a question:

Because of the virus infection. There's a document somewhere that speaks of it.

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
I can't believe Chris's AI is worse than that of Sheva's. I didn't think it was possible but somehow Capcom pulled it off. I was looking forward to playing with Sheva from now on but Chris is far too mentally handicapped to trust with your life. Especially infuriating since I'm going for my S rankings on Professional mode. He makes Sheva look like Max Plank fused with the Comedian.
If you're playing Pro with infinite ammo it should be very doable. Videos were posted earlier of a speed run on Pro, with no damage taken, where the player played as Sheva with AI Chris. He/she simply made good use of the Attack/Cover commands and spammed the Partner button when Chris straggled behind (which, aside from having to hear Sheva heckle Chris, works quite well). He/she also gave Chris some strong weapons. Magnums can't hurt, and I'd recommend giving him a melee vest and bulletproof vest.

KevinCow said:
What's the deal with the girl in 1-2? Just, like, random white girl in the middle of Africa. Is that explained?
Well sure, it's not exactly impropable. But from the designer's POV, it probably seemed like good ol' fashioned damsel-in-distress pulp, and the juxtaposition between how she looks before and AFTER something happens is quite the foil.

And to the person who asked:
Jill
is blonde as a side effect of experiments, as it says on the computer on the elevator platform where you fight
U-8
at the end of 5-1. Read the computer at the beginning of 5-2.

LiK

thanks for answering my question guys. i'm glad that was explained. :)

anyone else think she looked like Nina in Tekken? :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LiK said:

Yes. I sort of question
the decisions on her Battle Suit. It really does look like Nina Williams' suit.

LiK said:

/raises hand

When you unlock
STARS Jill in Mercenary Mode, then you'l be like...Ohhhhh there's my girl.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
bigdaddygamebot said:
/raises hand

When you unlock
STARS Jill in Mercenary Mode, then you'l be like...Ohhhhh there's my girl.

You don't. It's
BSAA Jill to clarify. Don't want to disappoint people expecting her STARS uniform.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Neiteio said:
If you're playing Pro with infinite ammo it should be very doable. Videos were posted earlier of a speed run on Pro, with no damage taken, where the player played as Sheva with AI Chris. He/she simply made good use of the Attack/Cover commands and spammed the Partner button when Chris straggled behind (which, aside from having to hear Sheva heckle Chris, works quite well). He/she also gave Chris some strong weapons. Magnums can't hurt, and I'd recommend giving him a melee vest and bulletproof vest.
I don't play with infinite ammo unless I'm farming for money or points. Infinite ammo breaks the game for me even if it's just handing the AI partner a powerful Magnum. It kills the challenge. I mean why even play professional mode in the first place if all your gonna do is use super weapons with infinite ammo? I want challenge without having to worry about the retard AI getting into trouble every 10 seconds during confrontations.

Top Bottom