• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Dyno

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Unless you're playing professional in which case, nine times out of ten, she will stand right by you and watch you die.

Name for me an A.I. in ANY game that can stand up to that level of play?

It's an A.I. A pet. It's clearly not up to a human level task, which is exactly what a Professional run is. Get a friend.

mittelos

Finally finished my first playthrough last night. A little over 16 hours. Yeah, 16 hours. I'd like to think I'm a fairly competent player, but I really like to take my time going through and exploring levels and looking for treasures and emblems. Also, I played entirely on my own, except for 2-1 I co-oped with a friend. Will be doing a lot of co-op now, but I wanted to be solo on my first run.

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Awesome ride. This was my most anticipated game of this gen, and even with such high expectations, the game did not disappoint. I'm actually a little surprised how much I love this game.

Now on to emblem, treasure, speed and Vet and Pro runs. Maxing all weapons, unlocking all the figures. And then there's Mercs. My god, so much gaming goodness. Oh shit, I still have to play through the PS3 version as well!

thinking of buying the game for 40 bucks... but i'm having doubts.
i loved RE4 but didn't like the controls very much and still didn't like them in the demo:

- will i be amazed?
- will i hate sheva?
- will i love it as much as re4?

Always-honest said:
thinking of buying the game for 40 bucks... but i'm having doubts.
i loved RE4 but didn't like the controls very much and still didn't like them in the demo:

- will i be amazed?
- will i hate sheva?

Can't really say but I feel the game was worth the $60 I spent on it. I like it as much as RE4, but for different reasons. The AI isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, I ran through the whole game solo on veteran. Aside from a few dumbass mistakes the AI was on the ball 90% of the time.

For $40 I say it's a no brainer...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Always-honest said:
- will i be amazed?
- will i hate sheva?

-At certain parts you likely will be
-Depends what difficulty you play... she's a competent enough character, development-wise. And nice to look at.
-Probably not. It depends on what you loved about RE4, but for most people it won't hit that level of cherish.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Can't really say but I feel the game was worth the $60 I spent on it. I like it as much as RE4, but for different reasons. The AI isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, I ran through the whole game solo on veteran. Aside from a few dumbass mistakes the AI was on the ball 90% of the time.

For $40 I say it's a no brainer...

are there many atmospheric environments? i guess i'll get used to the controls in an hour or so.

Always-honest said:
are there many atmospheric environments? i guess i'll get used to the controls in an hour or so.

There are, but it does take a little bit to get into the REALLY cool areas. Once you play through the game you will understand how well each environment flows into the next. There are some outright gorgeous scenes though, where you want to just stop and look around for a few minutes definitely.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Saved up 20k points to upgrade the handcannon. so worth it, S ranking levels is a breeze now. after I replay the levels I should have enough to infinite the Hydra, making me ready for pro mode.

Always-honest said:

a few, but not nearly as much as RE4. It's one of the aspects where 4 still reigns supreme

okay thanx guys. i'll read some thread posts for reactions. i know i'm gonna like mercenaries, and i liked the co-op part of the demo (though i hate she's in the single player..). i'll probably buy it.

Dyno said:
Name for me an A.I. in ANY game that can stand up to that level of play?

It's an A.I. A pet. It's clearly not up to a human level task, which is exactly what a Professional run is. Get a friend.

Wow, no need to be an ass. Sorry if I insulted your girlfriend. Maybe someone likes the challenge of doing professional solo since it's harder than doing it co-op, I doubt I'm the only one. And yes it is a problem when you're dying and she's standing right next to you as your death meter thing quickly goes down and she does nothing.

Kard8p3

So at around 2:30 my time I started chapter 2-3 on professional. Now at 3:51 I still haven't beat it yet. It's such a crappy boss fight which is sad because I like the rest of them. It's just completely cheap this time around. When he goes into an attack animation I can shoot him till I overheat and it still won't stop him. Then I can press the button to dodge certain attacks and it won't work. Then I have the other guys coming out to attack right when the boss is about to attack. Needless to say I hate this boss and right now it seems like it'll be keeping me from beating pro. I really hope the fight isn't a stage longer than the veteran fight or I definitely have no chance.

Sephon

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
...And yes it is a problem when you're dying and she's standing right next to you as your death meter thing quickly goes down and she does nothing.

Just because she's your partner doesn't really mean she likes you.
But seriously, yeah that's a flaw. I figure it's that way so it won't be too easy, after all, even in coop it can take a few seconds before you notice your partner in trouble.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kard8p3 said:
So at around 2:30 my time I started chapter 2-3 on professional. Now at 3:51 I still haven't beat it yet. It's such a crappy boss fight which is sad because I like the rest of them. It's just completely cheap this time around. When he goes into an attack animation I can shoot him till I overheat and it still won't stop him. Then I can press the button to dodge certain attacks and it won't work. Then I have the other guys coming out to attack right when the boss is about to attack. Needless to say I hate this boss and right now it seems like it'll be keeping me from beating pro. I really hope the fight isn't a stage longer than the veteran fight or I definitely have no chance.

No it's exactly the same length as veteran and the same tricks to beat him there work on pro.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kard8p3 said:
You're either doing it wrong, mate, or there's something wrong with your game. ;)

As long as you start pumping bullets into him at the start of his attack animations, you will stop him, and the QTEs worked every single time for me. Literally, every SINGLE time of the 17 times I attempted it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kard8p3 said:
I got lucky beating him on veteran so I know not of these tricks. Care to share?

- When he tries to stomp, shoot his foot.
- When he rears up to smash his hands, shoot his face till he staggers.
- If he rears up one hand get ready to duck.
- Don't bother shooting if he isn't doing the first 2, you don't do any damage to him.
- When he picks up the boulder, shoot the barrel beside him to shatter it instantly.

That's it really. It's a pretty easy fight to get through with minimal damage.

mattso

Sinatar said:
- When he tries to stomp, shoot his foot.
- When he rears up to smash his hands, shoot his face till he staggers.
- If he rears up one hand get ready to duck.
- Don't bother shooting if he isn't doing the first 2, you don't do any damage to him.
- When he picks up the boulder, shoot the barrel beside him to shatter it instantly.

That's it really. It's a pretty easy fight to get through with minimal damage.
also when he picks up the trees or whatever there are barrels nearby you can shoot that make him drop them instantly

Kard8p3

Rez said:
You're either doing it wrong, mate, or there's something wrong with your game. ;)

As long as you start pumping bullets into him at the start of his attack animations, you will stop him, and the QTEs worked every single time for me. Literally, every SINGLE time of the 17 times I attempted it.

Well the QTE problem is more with me than the game. I always expect it to be one button and don't pay attention to if it changes. However when he lifts his foot to stomp I can shoot it till I get close to overheating and it still wont stop him. Is there any particular area of the foot that you can shoot to stop him quicker?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Duck Amuck said:
I didn't play Dead Rising like 5 times in row.

I played 3 times in a row.

So I definitely enjoyed RE5 more than DR. :D As someone who really doesn't care about achievements for the most part, it takes a really special game for me to play 5 times in a row for a period of two weeks. And not only beat it 5 times in a row, get 100% in it. Wanna know how many games I get 100% on? Less than 5.
How many times did you beat RE4?

RE5 is a damn fine game but it isn't polished to the point that its gameplay is perfected like RE4 was. The closest thing to this generations RE4 would be something like COD4, Mario Galaxy or Fallout 3.

Is it easier to get S ranks during co-op? If so would anyone be willing to play some levels that I need an S rank on so I can get the last figurine?

burgerdog

Kard8p3 said:
Well the QTE problem is more with me than the game. I always expect it to be one button and don't pay attention to if it changes. However when he lifts his foot to stomp I can shoot it till I get close to overheating and it still wont stop him. Is there any particular area of the foot that you can shoot to stop him quicker?

The turret shouldn't even come close to heating up if you're doing it right. Stop shooting as soon as you interrupt any of his attack animations. Like someone else said, he doesn't take any direct damage from your shots.

Brandonhhhhhhhhhhhhhh83 said:
Is it easier to get S ranks during co-op? If so would anyone be willing to play some levels that I need an S rank on so I can get the last figurine?

I find it harder to S rank during coop because if the other player does most of the killing you'll get a shit rating for enemies routed. Just do amateur runs for S ranking.

jax (old)

Banned
comment on sheva's retarded AI

tanker level - there's the bit right after you save sheva from the cage with the crane - where the two of you have to use the container lifts to move on - you can only shoot the OTHER container. Sheva refused to enter the container area/shoot it and I had to quit game altogether to get it to reset. I killed us both a couple of times, but she'd do it constantly til I was like WTF is this shit and reset the PS3

The AI is retarded.

mattso

Jax said:

tanker level - there's the bit right after you save sheva from the cage with the crane - where the two of you have to use the container lifts to move on - you can only shoot the OTHER container. Sheva refused to enter the container area/shoot it and I had to quit game altogether to get it to reset. I killed us both a couple of times, but she'd do it constantly til I was like WTF is this shit and reset the PS3

The AI is retarded.
as soon as I get on my ai partner is always either on or on their way at that part

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

All this time I played Prison, and I never realized there is a hole in one of the jail cells to jump below the map. Not only is that a good spot to camp in, there's 90 seconds down there. :lol

Managed to S rank it thanks to that now, though I still need to SS that and Mines to get that with every level. Then I need to do it with every character!

I really hope they add DLC for Mercs, I will pretty much buy anything they put out for it.

USD

Jax said:

The AI is retarded.
If anything I found that part annoying because she'd run over the container area before I want her to. I'd call back to me and then 10 seconds later she'd be over there again.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Im on 6-2 professional with the AI, i swear this worthless thundercunt will not resuscitate you despite having 0 guns and 7 health sprays standing right next to you. I tried taking her guns away & filling her up with health sprays on the 5-3 fight and she just stood there with her head up her ass while I died. Im almost done but goddamn she's retarded at times.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Wouldnt ya know, she healed me once on 6-3 after my little rant :lol

Anyways, i beat it and got my platinum playing offline. 6 hours total :D

Tip - restart as soon as you go to "dying" & it wont count as a death, I S ranked a couple levels this way.

Resident Evil 6 can take 8 years to come out...

http://www.biohaze.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3561&p=49064#p49064

The Gadget Show's (UK) Jason Bradbury recently sat down with RE5 producer Masachika Kawata, who revealed: "We haven't decided whether we're going to make Resident Evil 6 yet. But if we do, it could take anywhere up to eight years, but hopefully only four."

What the hell. Even 4 years is a long time. One RE game this gen, what the hell is wrong with this gen.

Kard8p3

Still not having any luck with the Ndesu fight. I'm fine with the QTEs but I can hardly ever stop his attacks. Most of the time when I unload on his foot from the start of the animation it does nothing but then sometimes I'll be distracted by the enemies and notice his foot in the air and stop his attack with only a few shots. I swear it has to decide when you stop the attack randomly. Then I opened up my game and had 5 connection errors all the times I tried it before anyone even had a chance to join. I think I'm about to give up on it.

Davey Cakes

MiamiWesker said:
What the hell. Even 4 years is a long time. One RE game this gen, what the hell is wrong with this gen.
It's interesting. RE5 was announced in 2005, and by then it already had a complete concept (Chris in Africa). It comes out in 2009, but with changes to the original formula. Somewhere in the development cycle, the game changed directions and became co-op focused, which obviously may have slightly delayed it.

So really, RE5 was in general development for 3-4 years, which is a longer gap than with any of the previous games in the series. This is taking the HD switch into consideration as well. However, even RE4 wasn't just developed over the 2-3 years between its release and RE0's; it was conceptualized far sooner.

I don't really buy the whole "eight years" thing. But, I can see where they're coming from with four. Considering that RE5 was based a lot on RE4's groundwork, and RE6 was already being talked about as the game that needs to change the formula, it could take the RE team a longer time to conceptualize what they want in the new game, and it could take a lot of time and effort to create an actual game from the concept they come up with.

Besides, it's not "one RE game this gen" anyway. We got Umbrella Chronicles and we're getting Darkside Chronicles as well. Yeah, they aren't main-series games, but they're something. Although, I will agree that it's a far cry from when we saw three quality main-series Resident Evil games on the Gamecube within three years.

Sectus

MiamiWesker said:

Argh, that is a long time. I'm okay with RE6 taking a long time, if they also make spinoffs or expansions packs to RE5 which builds upon the gameplay. Otherwise, bleh!

Edit: When thinking more about it, 8 years is a LONG time, I doubt he's completely serious. It make no sense from a business or development standpoint.

Rash said:
It's interesting. RE5 was announced in 2005, and by then it already had a complete concept (Chris in Africa). It comes out in 2009, but with changes to the original formula. Somewhere in the development cycle, the game changed directions and became co-op focused, which obviously may have slightly delayed it.
RE5 was also supposed to take a long time. In a very early preview, Takeuchi mentioned it would 3 to 5 years to make.

I don't know how anyone does SS rankings. I use the best character for it and do it on an easy level like public assembly and I can get like 80k on a good run. I always feel overwhelmed and not really in control. :p

CharpyImpact said:
I don't know how anyone does SS rankings. I use the best character for it and do it on an easy level like public assembly and I can get like 80k on a good run. I always feel overwhelmed and not really in control. :p

it's okay you have eight years to perfect it.

Morts

A smattering of thoughts:

- Getting a Platinum in this game seemed easy until I got to
El Gigante on Professional. I swear the game refuses to acknowledge the square-x dodge, and those fuckers with the bows respawn before they've finished their death animations.
- Which leads me to,
what the hell is with the uninspired bosses in this game? Two fights where you sit on turrets the whole time, and all completely forgettable compared to RE4's.
- Speaking of which,
what's the deal with Uroboros? I made it all the way up to the second fight with it before I realized I had already fought it in chapter one, and apparently it was supposed to be a plot point. Where did it come from, and why was turning the world into a bunch of tentacles going to usher in a brave new world for Wesker?
- And I can almost forgive the
volcano, but the conclusion just seems really anti-climatic for an end to the Wesker/Chris/Jill story.
- Oh, and why was
Jill in the game? So there's bird lady, and she shows up twice, and you're all like "Hm, I wonder what that's about." And then it turns out to be Jill. Problem solved. Let's forget her completely and move on. Seemed like her whole inclusion was an afterthought.
- Does anyone else think that the ending
would've been amazing if Sheva was successful in sacrificing herself by letting go in the plane to kill Wesker? The game could either end with that (after some closure) or perhaps Chris and Jill could've fought the final boss together.
- Where are the
interesting characters? Bird-lady failed to be intriguing, Jill was portray in a cringe-worthy manner, Sheva was about as developed as her A.I., Irving could've been interesting if they had bothered to develop him at all, but I barely understood his role in the story. Where's the successors to Luis, the Village Chief, and Salazar?
- Why are the ten
Mercenaries characters actually just 4? I know it doesn't make much difference as far as gameplay because they have different inventories anyway, but Capcom could've made a lot of people happy if say, we had Leon instead of Safari Chris and Ada instead of Clubbin' Sheva.

Yet, despite all of that (plus the fact that it's way too short), I can't stop playing this awesome game. I'm on my third playthrough, and love
Mercenaries
despite sucking at it, and I show no signs of slowing down. It's no RE4, but I don't regret spending my $60 at all.

Got my veteran run to 4:47, unlocked the unlimited ammo for the RPG! I like how it just gives it to you and you don't have to spend pts on it. I was saving a bunch just in case it did. Used them to unlock unlimited ammo PSG1.

To try it out I gave a RPG to chris AI and took away the rest of his guns. He didn't know quite what to do lol. Pretty much just ran around...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MiamiWesker said:

Budget and resources are just too high to pop out a game like RE5 every couple of years. That and without Mikami I'm sure his job is 10x harder. Honestly after the horrible ending in 5 I don't know if I want anymore sequels from him. They should concentrate on a spin-off series based around Hunk or Ada. Call it Resident Evil Mercenaries.

And just think If we see an equivalent graphical leap next generation development time for big budget games will be even LONGER. I can't wait!

mattso

when it comes to ndesu, or
el gigante
for me beating him on pro just came down to knowing when not to shoot. learning his patterns and knowing you cant do the qte if you're shooting meant I just started shooting only when I knew it was necessary

going through my veteran run trimming the fat off my times to get it down to 5 hours for now (crazy speed runs postponed) and I'm at 5:31'16 at the moment. Getting close.

Darunia said:
can you just play seperate chapters to unlock that or do you have to do it in one run?

Yeah you can go back and just do it by chapter. I did a run of 2.1 and 3.1 to go from 5:06 to 4:47 going pretty much as fast as I could.

Morts said:
A smattering of thoughts:

- Getting a Platinum in this game seemed easy until I got to
El Gigante on Professional. I swear the game refuses to acknowledge the square-x dodge, and those fuckers with the bows respawn before they've finished their death animations.
- Which leads me to,
what the hell is with the uninspired bosses in this game? Two fights where you sit on turrets the whole time, and all completely forgettable compared to RE4's.
- Speaking of which,
what's the deal with Uroboros? I made it all the way up to the second fight with it before I realized I had already fought it in chapter one, and apparently it was supposed to be a plot point. Where did it come from, and why was turning the world into a bunch of tentacles going to usher in a brave new world for Wesker?
- And I can almost forgive the
volcano, but the conclusion just seems really anti-climatic for an end to the Wesker/Chris/Jill story.
- Oh, and why was
Jill in the game? So there's bird lady, and she shows up twice, and you're all like "Hm, I wonder what that's about." And then it turns out to be Jill. Problem solved. Let's forget her completely and move on. Seemed like her whole inclusion was an afterthought.
- Does anyone else think that the ending
would've been amazing if Sheva was successful in sacrificing herself by letting go in the plane to kill Wesker? The game could either end with that (after some closure) or perhaps Chris and Jill could've fought the final boss together.
- Where are the
interesting characters? Bird-lady failed to be intriguing, Jill was portray in a cringe-worthy manner, Sheva was about as developed as her A.I., Irving could've been interesting if they had bothered to develop him at all, but I barely understood his role in the story. Where's the successors to Luis, the Village Chief, and Salazar?
- Why are the ten
Mercenaries characters actually just 4? I know it doesn't make much difference as far as gameplay because they have different inventories anyway, but Capcom could've made a lot of people happy if say, we had Leon instead of Safari Chris and Ada instead of Clubbin' Sheva.

Yet, despite all of that (plus the fact that it's way too short), I can't stop playing this awesome game. I'm on my third playthrough, and love
Mercenaries
despite sucking at it, and I show no signs of slowing down. It's no RE4, but I don't regret spending my $60 at all.

Ya, I agree with all the plot points you made. They really had potential with it but they really didn't harness it all. There is no way, they thought this should be the final plot. The virus plot was good but the handling of the characters not so much.

brandonh83 said:
The only way I can imagine someone not liking the plot of RE5 is if they've been taking this franchise seriously.

Well, wouldn't it appease more people if a well-developed plot was made.

My belief is this:
Either go completely serious, no plot at all, or just insanely silly.

I think then people completely know what to expect out of the game. I thought resident evil 4's plot was actually quite good. The biggest thing this game missed was character development.

Just saw the Making Of video. It pretty much confirmed what I thought; they've put all their efforts in the visuals and the cinematics. The design aspects of the game feels rushed and badly developped.

A succession of arenas through multiple environments that evoke no emotional attachments. Compared to the previous entry of the series where you would have 2-3 main areas with different sub-sections. In RE5, it's just one failed attempt after another. Quick with no life. We go through so much environment changes without exploring and exploiting its full potential. There was no life in these. So much wasted opportunities.

RE5 is a big dissapointment gameplay-wise for me. There is so much flaw in the design aspects of the game that it's pretty awkward that no professional reviews have pointed them out and instead have been salivating over the visuals, the cinematics and the production values, just as Capcom wanted.

Top Bottom