• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

-Winnie-

KevinCow said:
The way I understand it:

The main enemies were infected with a modified Las Plagas that transformed people faster than the RE4 one.

The gray zombie things on conveyor belts later on, if that's what you're talking about, were failed experiments.

The flowers led to the creation of Uroboros.

The grey ones I was talking about are the ones you first see with the tribal gear and then later on machine guns. They don't look like Las Plagas infected, but then they still sometimes had the big blade thing that came out of their heads.

Ending question...

Did anyone else think that when when Sheva and Chris fired the rockets at Wesker...that it looked like Wesker dodged them? Granted I know everyone would still be dead regardless, but this is...you know, Wesker.

So is it safe to assume he's NOT dead?

Christopher

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

Did anyone else think that when when Sheva and Chris fired the rockets at Wesker...that it looked like Wesker dodged them? Granted I know everyone would still be dead regardless, but this is...you know, Wesker.

No he is you can't "dodge" that.

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

They looked like they impaled him and exploded behind him. So, you know, whatever.

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

It looked like
they took his head clean off to me. They killed the dick out of him.

gantz85

Banned
BrandNew said:
Ending question...

It looked to me like Wesker dodged them. I honestly had the same impression.

Neiteio

Shaheed79 said:
Man RE4 had way better enemy variety than RE5. I like the tribals but they don't replace the unholy monks along with their legion of masochist shredder clones, El Gigante's, Mr and Mrs chainsaw, invisible Novistadors, suits of armor, regenerators ect.
I'm sorry, but there's no way you can say RE4 had the better variety of monsters. In addition to having a Majini equivalent to every Ganando RE4 had, and making them more varied with more moves and QTE dodges (love rolling out of a spear's way rather than helplessly getting skewered like in 4), you have swarms of low-to-the-ground BOWs (spiders), flying BOWs, armored BOWs, Reapers,
Lickers
and dogs/coyotes that truly transform. You even had water enemies in the form of killer crocs. Whereas RE4 had dogs with a couple tentacles, Novistadors and Regenerators, and in a couple rooms the knights... RE5 even one-ups the chainsaw game by giving Chainsaw Majini the ability to come back from the dead and go into beserker mode, and the Axeman can destroy half of the environment he appears in (ditto for the Prison in Mercs).
Lickers
are probably the most interactive enemies in an RE4-style game to date, pouncing on you, swiping you, pinning you down and tearing your heart out (happened to me once!), climbing walls and ceilings,
tonguing you
, and with good timing, you can uppercut them in mid-jump or, if you knock them on their back, impale them through the heart with your knife, like killing a vampire with a stake (which is so BADASS, and it's an achievement!).

I honestly hoped to see more enemy and boss variety in RE5 especially towards the end. It seems like by the time the last act came around Capcom were like "F*ck it just copy and paste the Merc enemies from RE4 and stick an
AK47
in some of their hands. Oh yeah give the ability to
toss pipe bombs to one of the Chainguners.
". The bosses in general were all pretty underwhelming. Only some of the mid-bosses were even remotely fun to fight along with you know who towards the end. I don't know who was responsible for RE4's boss designs but they need him back.
Uh, they didn't just give the enemies an AK47, they added an entire cover system that was implemented extensively in every battlefield of Chapter 5 and 6 and made for some very satisfying shootouts. You could finally take advantage of the environment to protect yourself when enemies were bearing down on you, and going all Quickdraw McGraw with a magnum and poppin' headshots from behind cover was AWESOME. Mix it up with conveyor belt fights, elevator fights, et al, and you have a variety of situations as well.

And sorry to hear you didn't like the bosses. The trick to beating most of them always felt empowering, and I loved it. When you rain hellfire from heaven or torch a nasty with a pulpy stream of liquid fire, it feels good. All I remember about RE4's bosses was running around shooting my pistol at fleshy monsters, with the two exceptions being Del Lago's boat battle and U-3's hide-and-seek. RE5 even had a boss battle where killing wasn't the solution, and some games of hide-and-seek where the enemy actually moved around in real-time rather than simply disappearing and respawning at blind spots. I have a hard time fathoming how something like the Irving battle could be construed as dull (you don't have to use the turrets there, you know), but to each his own.

Really, my favorite Resident Evil boss fights are a healthy mix of selections from RE4 and RE5. I loved Del Lago and Bitores Mendez in RE4, and I especially love
Uroboros Aheri
in RE5 (I'm still mulling over which bosses I liked best). I'm just so thankful we now have TWO games like RE4. Since they already have the engine up and running, I wish they'd just crank out RE6 and make it the best of both worlds.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
BrandNew said:
Ending question...

seemed to me like the rockets smacked him right in the head before hitting the lava .. he sort of stops the yell an instant before the rocket blows indicating a hit

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Christopher said:
No he is you can't "dodge" that.

There are theories online that he did dodge them...
that his head ducked down. I've yet to analyze frame by frame the last cutscene, but some people say he did. I wouldn't put it past Capcom, frankly. When I saw the cutscene, I assumed the missiles went straight through his head, but I didn't pay that much attention to details.

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

I'm pretty sure that
he dodged the initial shot, whether he was killed in the resulting blast is a different story, of course, the guy can stand in lava. If he can do that, what's a rocket going to do? Well, besides shred him with the shrapnel. *shrugs*

LiK

brandonh83 said:
Ch. 3-1 was great. A huge, expansive environment with some nice exploration and great setpieces and atmosphere. The gloomy, cloudy skies and the tribal villages with infected tribal warriors creeped me the fuck out. It was just epic and creepy.

really? i thought it was a fairly bland-looking level, imho. the only level that creeped me out was the caves with the light in 2-2.

Grimm Fandango said:
He's still alive. It's
Wesker
FFS.

i dunno, they pretty much explained everything with him and they also revealed his almighty plan. i think bringing him back would sorta suck. plus,
they killed him with rocket launchers at the end. noone ever returns from rocket launchers to the face in any of the past RE games, unless the Wesker we fought was a fucking clone. :p

even if he dodged the rockets, the volcano erupted so unless he could withstand lava, i'm sure he's dead. the regular Uruborous couldn't even survive a regular flamethrower.

Finished the game.
Don't like the story :(
Re4's character was much much more developed.
Hell what happened to Ada's involvement with Wesker ?
Jill is the bird girl and that is
No extra chapter which let us play as jill ?

Too short :(

Edit:
are the Viral Campaign Episodes what really happened after re5?

Vitten

Doing Pro on solo at the moment and not having too much trouble.
You pretty much have to treat it like a speedrun: simply running passed everyone is often a lot easier than fighting it out and risking a deadly attack in the back or some stupid arrow from half across the field if you stand still for half a second.

LiK

Vitten said:
Doing Pro on solo at the moment and not having too much trouble.
You pretty much have to treat it like a speedrun: simply running passed everyone is often a lot easier than fighting it out and risking a deadly attack in the back or some stupid arrow from half across the field if you stand still for half a second.

really? i hope you're recording it for youtube :)

Davey Cakes

Last night I managed to A rank all of the mercs stages. Yay.

Interestingly enough, I had more trouble doing it on Ship than on Prison.

eso76

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

yes, i noticed that too, i'm pretty sure they fly past him and explode right behind.
I believe that's not really relevant though, whatever happens at that point he might still be or might be not.

Davey Cakes

Neiteio said:
Yeah, maybe I'm the only one, but I personally found the tribals scarier than any zombie in the series' past.
Meh. Just....meh.

That one tribal that turns into the weird shell monster got me, true, but no one else. And, in general the tribal areas aren't even as creepy as the Village in RE4, never mind the enclosed areas of the Mansion in REmake with Crimson Heads.

Of course, 3-1 is the worst. It was expansive, and you could explore in a non-linear fashion, but it also just felt boring to me. Chapter 3 and the end of Chapter 2, I feel, are RE5's weak points, where I felt that RE4 saw a steady increase and then peaked during the Castle segments in its middle chapters.

But, to each his own.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I played the game again for about 4 hours last night. I am going through the game solo. I just got to the part
When RE turns into TombRaider.
I think I am at 4-2. I am really enjoying the game. It is not too hard, it is hella entertaining, though it really is a RE game in name only.

I did just buy the stun stick and damn it is overpowered. Combine a stunstick, a machine gun and a sniper rifle and you are god. I plan on going through the game again after I am done.

Crisco

Banned
Does anyone else find the film-grain filter they apply to the cutscenes to just be annoying? Maybe it's because it doesn't exist in gameplay, but I find it really detracts from the quality of the image and is distracting as hell. Every time a cutscene starts up, especially in the darker areas, I think something is wrong with my TV. The game looks gorgeous during gameplay, I have no idea why they decided to muck with it during cutscenes.

MC Safety

Oh, and one more thing:
No more aligning mirrors to redirect beams of light, okay? It's one of the most overused gameplay devices in recent memory.

That really didn't deserve a spoiler tag, but hey!

BrandNew said:
Ending question...

Wesker The Undying Lava Tyrant in RE 6* confirmed.

*now with more moving AND shooting!

eso76 said:
yes, i noticed that too, i'm pretty sure they fly past him and explode right behind.
I believe that's not really relevant though, whatever happens at that point he might still be or might be not.
Seeing as how Wesker is perfectly fine with standing in lava, I'm sure he'll be back - one way or another.

He'll probably just become integrated with the Earth's lifestream, and will summon meteor - or some shit. :lol

LiK

U K Narayan said:
Seeing as how Wesker is perfectly fine with standing in lava, I'm sure he'll be back - one way or another.

He'll probably just become integrated with the Earth's lifestream, and will summon meteor - or some shit. :lol

gawd, that would be incredible. RE6 will revamp the series and make it an epic JRPG instead :lol

Prine

Banned
Gonna say it again. Exploding bodies are very, very disturbing to witness. The cloud of blood gets me every time.

I. Love. This. Game

MacBosse

clay_ghost said:
Finished the game.
Jill is the bird girl and that is?

Edit:

God damnit man! Learn not to spoil!

darkjedi187 said:
How exactly do you invite a specific person to play co-op. I couldn't find a way to invite someone from my friend list.
You've got to start a game, and be sitting in your inventory screen, and then invite them by going to their gamer tag and hitting X. It's a bit cumbersome.

shpankey

not an idiot
My birthday was yesterday. My awesome daughter who works at Best Buy part time after-school and on week-ends surprised the crap out of me with RE5 present for PS3. She said she saw how I always rewinded and watched the commercial several times and seen the gleem in my eye. :lol How awesome is that? :D I may do a quicky exchange for the 360 version though, but I can't wait to get started. :)

LiK

shpankey said:
My birthday was yesterday. My awesome daughter who works at Best Buy part time after-school and on week-ends surprised the crap out of me with RE5 present for PS3. She said she saw how I always rewinded and watched the commercial several times and seen the gleem in my eye. :lol How awesome is that? :D I may do a quicky exchange for the 360 version though, but I can't wait to get started. :)

cool dad or cool daughter?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:

If you get the 360 version, we can do some co-op. GT: dskillzhtown

Ephemeris

Got the platinum last night. Awesome game.

Something happened today that gave me pause; while playing
Mercenaries
I would have sworn a chicken flew up and killed
my Wesker

:/

Majmun

Only need to beat chapter 2-3 on professional and the platinum trophy is mine.

I already had much trouble with chapter 2-3 on veteran mode lol

Naruto

Yeah so is it even possible to beat Professional alone?
I've just beaten the game on Veteran alone(No unlimited ammo) and it wasn't really hard, but Professional seems insane...

LiK

Naruto said:
I've just beaten the game on Veteran alone(No unlimited ammo) and it wasn't really hard, but Professional seems insane...

1 hit kills is like old school mario brothers. but someone here said you can run through most of the levels and skip alot of the battles by reaching the checkpoints.

seat

U K Narayan said:

I'll bet that wasn't
Wesker at all, but a clone of him.
You all know I'm right, just you wait and see.

ShinAmano

Ephemeris said:

Mercenaries
my Wesker

Don't know about in Mercs, but why not...it happens in the main game...memories of LTTP...:lol

USD

Naruto said:
If you do play it solo, I suggest not giving your AI partner any health items, and holding them all yourself. The AI can be slow with giving you healing when you need it, but resuscitating is actually faster than using a healing item. You'll end up dying a lot less if the AI is using that.

itxaka

Defeatist
Fuck Capcom and Fuck resident evil 5 last chapter. Gears of evil with a dose of higly incompetent cpu parter makes breaking controllers too easy.

fuck this shit.

Ephemeris said:

Mercenaries
my Wesker

Happened to me when I was farming gold eggs on 3-1. I had really low health and went up to a chicken, then I just died... So I checked my records and I had one death thanks to a chicken : /.

My roommate finally got a copy of the game, so we played through to 1-2 where the QTE happens. Question though, right at the docks there's a treasure chest sitting behind vendor stalls, how the fuck do you get to it?

gantz85

Banned
Any advanced Mercenaries players here? I want to ask how you guys handle all the latter maps including Experimental Facility, Missile Area, Ship Deck and Prison. I've got S in the earlier maps, A in the middle maps and I've just started on the Ship Deck and Prison maps today.

They are FUCKING hella hard.

Ship Deck is a huge map and the chainsaw majinis total 6 across the whole period, and they have fake deaths as well! Strangely each consecutive majini seems easier to kill than the next, but I want to hear how you guys do your strategy.

Prison is also ridiculous, with a NON-STOP flow of executioner majinis (red and black alternating) and my friend and I spent ALL our ammo on the red executioner. I think we need more powerful weapons but I also want to hear you guys talk on this one.

Thanks for any help.

MickeyKnox said:
My roommate finally got a copy of the game, so we played through to 1-2 where the QTE happens. Question though, right at the docks there's a treasure chest sitting behind vendor stalls, how the fuck do you get to it?
Grenade. I had to ask too.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
clay_ghost said:
Finished the game.
Jill is the bird girl and that is?

Edit:

what do you mean that is?
I said this before but they should have had like a Jill files, like Ada files. I wouldn't be surprised if it was DLC or something but then people will bitch how it should have been in the game :lol

MickeyKnox said:

well placed grenade. I figured this out the first time i pasted it but my grenade didn't blow up the right piece. I came back later on and tried it and scored.

Top Bottom