• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

woxel1

CharpyImpact said:
Well, wouldn't it appease more people if a well-developed plot was made.

My belief is this:
Either go completely serious, no plot at all, or just insanely silly.
I agree. Capcom had the opportunity to tell a next-gen story and totally blew it. This and the overall lack of humor in the game just goes to show HOW AWESOME RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS YEAAAAAAAAH

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I may not even be playing games any longer when the next game come out. :D

And the only things that reminded me that this is an RE game are Chris's STARS outfit, the lickers and
Wesker's ghetto tyrant form.

woxel1 said:
I agree. Capcom had the opportunity to tell a next-gen story and totally blew it. This and the overall lack of humor in the game just goes to show HOW AWESOME RESIDENT EVIL 4 IS YEAAAAAAAAH

ALL PRAISE RE4

I love Leon's lines in that game

"Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Luis-"Ok I have one very Important question...You got a smoke?"
Leon-"Got some Gum"

"I've sent my right hand to dispose of you!"
"Your right hand comes off...?"

And my favorite:
Ashley: No way Leon.
Leon: Way.
(Leon forces Ashley into the trash compacter)
Delivery is perfect

I'm in the minority, I hated RE4's plot with every thread of my being. No, I don't take the franchise seriously, but RE4 was just, as I've stated in this thread, too retarded even by RE standards. Seriously one of the worst pieces of narrative I've encountered in gaming. RE5 was silly but at least it finally did something with the characters that we wanted to see some closure on instead of sending them off to Spain to confront President daughter kidnapping religious zealots, one of them being a midget pirate.

Fuck RE4's plot. Yeah Leon and Salazar's interaction was hilarious and it had great setpieces, overall I really like the game, but story wise it failed on every level whereas RE5 completely satisfied me as a long-time fan.

Okay none of my friends play survival horror style games (even though RE5 is an action game they don't understand that) so I'll use gaf in this instance.

I'm looking to see if anybody wants to play through RE5 as I've played through once solo and now would like to play through the game co-op online. There are a few ground conditions though.

1.) I'm decidedly average to slightly below average in RE 5 so if you're a super gamer type who demands excellence I'll pass. The worse you are probably the more interested I am in playing with you so nobody gets frustrated.
2.) I'm interested in casual fun time. If we die it's no big deal. I'm not interested in doing egg tricks or other exploits. I only upgraded my weapons in the one playthrough so I don't have or want unlimited ammo and such for this playthrough. I'm not trying to do a speedrun or blaze through the game to prove how uber I am.
3.) I'm not interested in playing mercs. Just want to play the main game co-op.
4.) I can play every day past 7:00 at night EST until whenever we decide to knock off.
5.) I'd like to try playing through on Veteran just because I played through on normal during my solo play.

If all that is agreeable just hit me up with a pm and I'll get back with you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on 360. Sorry.

mattso

unlimited rocket launcher unlocked

my current veteran time: 4:59'26''

I'm proud of myself. Plenty of room for improvement still but yeah.

s-medals on all of them on veteran but 6 of them which I guess will be my next goal.

Foov

Morts said:
- Oh, and why was
Jill in the game? So there's bird lady, and she shows up twice, and you're all like "Hm, I wonder what that's about." And then it turns out to be Jill. Problem solved. Let's forget her completely and move on. Seemed like her whole inclusion was an afterthought.
- Does anyone else think that the ending
would've been amazing if Sheva was successful in sacrificing herself by letting go in the plane to kill Wesker? The game could either end with that (after some closure) or perhaps Chris and Jill could've fought the final boss together.

The story files you unlock actually give a pretty good explanation for
Jill's
inclusion in the plot. Too bad it isn't included into the presentation of the story in the main game.

Stoney Mason said:
Okay none of my friends play survival horror style games so I'll use gaf in this instance.

I'm looking to see if anybody wants to play through RE5 as I've played through once solo and now would like to play through the game co-op online. There are a few ground conditions though.

1.) I'm decidedly average to slightly below average in RE 5 so if you're a super game type who demands excellence I'll pass. The worse you are probably the more interested I am in playing with you so nobody gets frustrated.
2.) I'm interested in casual fun time. If we die it's no big deal. I'm not interested in doing egg tricks or other exploits. I only upgraded my weapons in the one playthrough so I don't have or want unlimited ammo and such for this playthrough.
3.) I'm not interested in playing mercs. Just want to play the main game co-op.
4.) I can play every day past 7:00 at night EST until whenever we decide to knock off.
5.) I'd like to try playing through on Veteran just because I played through on normal during my solo play.

If all that is agreeable just hit me up with a pm and I'll get back with you.

I'm pretty much the same exact way so I'm game. I should be writing a bio lab report right now so I can't play tonight, but tomorrow night looks good, Thursday bad unless I get tons of homework done before 7pm EST, and Friday and on would be great. I need to beat the game on professional on co-op as I probably couldn't do it myself due to Sheva's stupidity but if you don't want to play on that high a difficulty I could still use the end chapter bonus points for some unlockables. if you want to play through veteran first that would be cool, I beat veteran on solo so we should be good to go there.

if you want to go ahead and add me to PSN, screenname is zombiepulse

brandonh83 said:
I'm pretty much the same exact way so I'm game. I should be writing a bio lab report right now so I can't play tonight, but tomorrow night looks good, Thursday bad unless I get tons of homework done before 7pm EST, and Friday and on would be great. I need to beat the game on professional on co-op as I probably couldn't do it myself due to Sheva's stupidity but if you don't want to play on that high a difficulty I could still use the end chapter bonus points for some unlockables.

if you want to go ahead and add me to PSN, screenname is zombiepulse

Sadly I just realized I forgot to post I'm on 360 otherwise I would be down.

Kard8p3

brandonh83 said:
I'm in the minority, I hated RE4's plot with every thread of my being. No, I don't take the franchise seriously, but RE4 was just, as I've stated in this thread, too retarded even by RE standards. Seriously one of the worst pieces of narrative I've encountered in gaming. RE5 was silly but at least it finally did something with the characters that we wanted to see some closure on instead of sending them off to Spain to confront President daughter kidnapping religious zealots, one of them being a midget pirate.

Fuck RE4's plot. Yeah Leon and Salazar's interaction was hilarious and it had great setpieces, overall I really like the game, but story wise it failed on every level whereas RE5 completely satisfied me as a long-time fan.

Yeah I agree. RE4's plot was trash imo but luckily the rest was great. The reason I like 5 better is because it improved on everything RE4 had and had a better story for long-time fans.

Neiteio

Morts, I'll repeat what I said earlier to clarify the plot. I'll trace the trajectory of the viruses/parasites and the characters' involvement, which illustrates everyone's importance:

-
To control the region so he could launch Uroboros, Wesker had Jill go around administering Type 2 Plagas to locals, creating a Majini army that could stop the BSAA once they arrived to shut down Irving's black-market arms deals, which were funding Uroboros. One of the files lying on a table early in the game says Type 2 Plagas are modified plagas administered orally (which you see happen to the black Majini early in the game). Type 2 Plagas take over their hosts instantly, unlike the slow growth of the plagas in RE4, and as an added side effect they sometimes cause size and strength increases, as the game notes with the Giant Majini. Also, on the ride across the savannah Josh contacts you by radio and says they're dealing with plagas.

-
According to Excella's file, Wesker seduced her and helped her take over Tricell Africa so he could restore the original Umbrella Research Facility near the Ndipaya ruins and finish research on the Stairway to the Sun flower, using the extracted Progenitor Virus to power up Type 2 Plagas and create a new organism, Uroboros, that has one of two effects on its host: it rejects their DNA and "evolves" them into a writhing mass of wormy pustules, which consume nearby organic material but can be controlled like any other plaga, OR it accepts its master's DNA, binding with him to create a superhuman. Wesker knew he was the only one who could handle Uroboros; the rest of mankind would transform into a race of monsters that'd live peacefully under his god-like control. And so he ultimately wants to detonate a smorgasbord of Uroboros-loaded missiles high in the atmosphere, spreading the contagion as an airborne pathogen for "complete global saturation" (I take it this is also where the song "Wind of Madness" get its name, Uroboros spreading on the trade winds).

-
All of the other viruses were merely Wesker's to help fund Uroboros (Irving selling BOWs like U-8 on the black market, which unfortunately for Wesker draws the eye of the BSAA), or to enhance his own BOWs. Jill, for instance, was preserved by Wesker because he found traces of the T-virus in her system and decided to cultivate her into the super-soldier Umbrella wanted all along. So the most important biological agents were the Progenitor/Plaga cocktail that is Uroboros; everything else is just gravy.

In regards to
Jill
, she's very important to the plot. Chris cares deeply for her, and his whole cynical worldview -- the whole question of whether all the shit he puts up with "is worth fighting for" -- stems from his failure to save her when she had selflessly saved him. So in a way, Chris putting himself on the line and saving his partner (and later on, another partner) gave him something to believe in again, that he could make a difference. That right there is more character development than I'm accustomed to in the new RE titles, and I liked it. Then there's the black irony and sweet revenge of
Wesker
turning
Jill
into yet another BOW, and the parallelism that results from her hair turning blonde as a side effect of the experiments (which is mentioned on the computer on the elevator where you fought
U-8
, which you can read at the beginning of 5-2).

For me, I was a lot more invested in the characters in RE5 than in RE4. Hell, at one point Sheva even wants to split and run, because by then she's beginning to realize how expendable they are. At another point,
when they see all the kidnapped bodies in capsules at the lab
, the characters' have a profound look of sadness. That sort of pathos really humanizes the characters in a way the bravado of past RE heroes didn't. I'll concede that the "secondary" villains, Excella and Irving, were not as developed as Salazar, although they were at least as prominent as Bitores Mendez. It's not much of an issue, though, because the main villain, the grand architect of the game's conspiracy, is FAR more interesting than Saddler ever was. RE5 is
Wesker's
game, and what's at stake here -- imminent doomsday -- is far more pressing than a religious zealot continuing research.

And dull bosses? To each his own, but
Irving
U-8
Uroboros Aheri
and every
Wesker
encounter blew my mind. The first
Uroboros
, not knowing what to do, was also memorably satisfying -- standing up and shouting at the screen as
the furnance doors slowly closed and it nearly slithered out
-- and
Popokarim
was fun both times in co-op. I really liked how in most cases there was more than simply unloading all your weapons;
playing hide and seek with Wesker followed by him catching a rocket and you restraining him
entreating Jill to try and pull off the device
and
unleashing a Death Star laser on Aheri
all come to mind. And there's only ONE pure turret battle. The battle with Irving has turrets, but you can still run freely around the ship and attack with your normal weapons. Really, Irving was like Salazar if Salazar could move all around you, attack with twice the number and types of tentacles, submerge itself or come closer, and if you had missile and gatling guns at your disposal in addition to your normal arms. AND it was in a storm. Good stuff. :D

somnific

i'm really digging re5, although i really didn't doubt that i would. i still like re4 more as a package (sure the story was kinda crappy, but the gameplay, presentation, pacing were ace) but it hasn't stopped me from really enjoying re5. i've managed to s rank every level on every difficulty, with a speed run of pro at 2:39 and i've barely touched mercenaries! suffice to say, i'm having a blast and look forward to racking up more hours with the game.

so anyone down for some co-op over XBL? i'm down for super casual play, or speed runs, or helping anyone through pro (
with or without infinite ammo
). hit me up with a pm.

Ya'll are ridiculous with the RE4 goggles. It was rampant with the silliness, but RE5 was so much more and completely deadpan about it. How can you not love every stupid cheesy line about partners, about flowers; Sheva's complete and total idiocy at every turn.
SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT EVOLUTION MEANS.
And every plot element involving
Jill
was hilarious. Chris goes through so much shit just on the most vague of hints.
Wesker's
accent is to fucking die for.
HAVE YOU NEVER THOUGHT THIS PLANET WAS OVERPOPULATED?
I giggle in my pants every time he says the name Chris too.

Neiteio

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah I agree. RE4's plot was trash imo but luckily the rest was great. The reason I like 5 better is because it improved on everything RE4 had and had a better story for long-time fans.
Agreed. RE5 weeded out all the boring repetition from RE4's longer sections (the castle went on forever), taking the best of RE4 and concentrating it into sublime stages you can play again and again in RE5, while still retaining a fine attention to flavor details and ambiance. And it feels so much more EPIC; your squad falls into a bioterrorist's trap and is wiped out, you're propelled along a breadcrumb trail of clues unraveling a conspiracy that spans miles and miles and MILES of Africa, and in the end you bring full-circle a decades-old conflict, the fate of the world hanging in the balance. All this, while searching for an old friend. Whereas in RE4... You rescue a damsel in distress and stop a cult. :D

RE5 also brought the bigger and better story, more monsters, more moves, more modes, more Mercs, more unlockables, MULTIPLAYER, et al. And barring a couple minor design omissions (i.e. not being able to use herbs on finding them), the game's polished as hell, especially for a co-op game. I just really don't care for people devaluing RE5 in some odd contest with RE4, because RE5 more than holds its own against its predecessor.

I'm just going to spoiler tag the entire following post because it's a mish-mash of spoilers and non-spoilers and it would take a long time to accurately tag it all accordingly, but it has to do with the plot of RE4 and RE5.

I think I'm just on the same page completely as Neiteio. Resident Evil is a silly franchise, but I do believe there is this wisp of a divider between silly and ridicule. People think Leon was more fun and more three-dimensional of a character. I agree with this, but the thing is that ever since RE1, I've always dug the Chris and Wesker rivalry. Wesker always had this absolutely hilarious hatred for Chris and then in Code: Veronica Wesker tried to put an end to Chris once and for all with his newfounded Agent Goku abilities. Again, hilarious, because even after Wesker gained godlike powers, Chris still trumped over him. Now, in RE5 Wesker pretty much raised the stakes to an impossible degree and Chris still managed to beat him. It's not complex storytelling and it's not deep by any stretch, but it's simply for people who have a long history with this nonsense. What drove this point home was Chris line during the final battle: "You want to judge us? Why is it that you get all your ideas from comic book villains?" Absolutely perfect summation of the situation. Wesker was promised all this power and like anyone who is promised something great, if they build up a certain expectation and it doesn't happen, they tend to go the extra mile to make it happen regardless of reach. Wesker's determination simply went way out of bounds, resulting in the ridiculous epic that is RE5.

But with RE4, we had Leon, who is great, in this situation that didn't gel with the rest of the series. Sure, characters like Wesker and Ada still made appearances, but that seemed like an afterthought, like hey wait this is called Resident Evil 4, we should throw in this plot point and that character real fast so fans don't get too upset. Well, unfortunately it didn't work out for me at all. But RE5 came around and admittedly unexpectedly set the story back in the right spot and provided some very entertaining resolution at long last

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm trying to move on to other characters in Mercs to try and SS levels now, mainly Tribal Sheva at the moment.

Any tips? I can hold a great combo with her(and it feels awesome to lob a shot halfway across the area into a Majini's chest when the combo is about to blink out). I mainly need help with the minibosses, it takes quite a few arrows just to stun then, not to mention the 1 second reload in between each shot and Majini swarming you.

EekTheKat

Couple things I picked up on Mercenaries :

The
hydra
is close to a one shot kill on Reapers if you time it right. Magnums work as well but with the
hydra
you don't have to worry about aiming as much, only for his weak spot to open. In fact the
hydra
just destroys nearly everything.

Reloading via the menu was *huge* for me after I picked it up. What I've been doing is reloading while I'm slicing throats with Sheva (which pretty much means I'm never caught reloading). I've picked up an unhealthy obsession with slicing throats in this game, but it's just so clean, efficient, and damn fun once I get a good rhythm going.

I'm still not that good at rounding up spawns though, usually I'm still missing one or two at the end.

unomas

Banned
I played the demo yesterday, had a decently good time with it with Sheeva as my CPU partner. Just not sure if it's a $60 purchase that would be worth it for me, my main reason for buying would be the online co-op. I have no interest in doing it as a single player adventure with an AI partner and no interest in the online versus mode. Yay or nay? To buy or not to buy? My next purchase won't be til May otherwise...the next Virtua Tennis game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
unomas said:
I played the demo yesterday, had a decently good time with it with Sheeva as my CPU partner. Just not sure if it's a $60 purchase that would be worth it for me, my main reason for buying would be the online co-op. I have no interest in doing it as a single player adventure with an AI partner and no interest in the online versus mode. Yay or nay? To buy or not to buy? My next purchase won't be til May otherwise...the next Virtua Tennis game.
I highly recommend it, especially if you want it primarily for co-op. The full game is a lot better and more varied than the demo and is at it's best with a real partner. The versus mode thing isn't even an issue because it's paid DLC. There's a lot of game here and it's all good. One of the few games this generation that I've felt like was really worth $60.

jax (old)

Banned
Neiteio said:
Agreed. RE5 weeded out all the boring repetition from RE4's longer sections (the castle went on forever), taking the best of RE4 and concentrating it into sublime stages you can play again and again in RE5, .

I don't know about you but the swamp level is so annoying that I really hated it. The only thing it does right is giving you the ability to choose levels to play. But that Imo breaks the game as a linear RE experience. THe game is different and imo breaks the SP flow of RE games. I hope they ditch it for RE6. As garnett said, the co-op play makes it very sidestoryish.

Its improves on RE4 on a few areas but I'd say its actually a massive step back in favour of becoming a generic action game with RE stylin. The SP experience was quite average. merceneries is a great minigame but lets be honest, we're playing RE5 because its a RE sequel. And as a sequel, its alright but it did fuck with itself.

I just finished this game on Normal this afternoon. Final Thoughts... I wish that the game was more polished around the edges.. there were some nasty textures here and there. Other than that I wish the engine was more optimized when you see even a bit of screen tearing you are like... oooo ... you know what I mean and I wish there were a bit more involving cut scenes. Other than that I think the game was excellent.

I just want to ask a question without going through dozens of pages... how do you get Unlimited Ammo ? Thanks

unomas

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I highly recommend it, especially if you want it primarily for co-op. The full game is a lot better and more varied than the demo and is at it's best with a real partner. The versus mode thing isn't even an issue because it's paid DLC. There's a lot of game here and it's all good. One of the few games this generation that I've felt like was really worth $60.

Thanks for the response, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. How many gameplay hours as a first timer might it take to finish the game on co-op?

bigswords

RoboPlato said:

Yes the Co-op is excellent, the random peeps are really nice and they share and conserve ammo with you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
unomas said:
Thanks for the response, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. How many gameplay hours as a first timer might it take to finish the game on co-op?
Around 12-15 if you were going through with some one that also was doing it the first time.

Unregistered007 said:
I just want to ask a question without going through dozens of pages... how do you get Unlimited Ammo ? Thanks
Max out a weapon, exchange points for Infinite Ammo for that weapon under Bonus Features, turn it on under Special Options, then start a game and allow for Infinite Ammo.

KevinCow

Banned
Dyno said:
The A.I. in RE5 isn't bad. I'm sorry, it's not the A.I., it's merely unrealistic expectations and mismanagement of the assets the game gives you.

Shiva (or Chris) is a great A.I. The fact of the matter is that A.I.s today are like pets and as we all know pets are helpful companions once you get to know them.

So what can a decent A.I. do in this day and age? Well, for one their awareness of the map will always be better than yours. They 'see' the playing levels in a different way than you, in a way we don't even see our own world. This allows them to zone in on boxes and barrels with ease. It also informs them of targets anywhere on the map the instant they have clear visuals. This results in excellent aim, especially at long distances. This makes Sheva a natural with a rifle. She uses more ammo than you probably want her to so it's a good idea to give her a bolt action weapon or even one that doesn't use ammo, like the longbow, to mitigate this issue.

When enemies get up close the A.I. gets 'confused' because the amount of targets and therefore decisions naturally increase. She can't prioritize as well as you can so she will always shoot the closest. Up close she also tends to stick to body shots as they have the highest percentage to hit. Someone shooting the front row in the body is a perfect candidate for the Piercing perk so I would give her the H&K MP5 or the Walter P8 if I wanted her to have another gun or else I would simply hand her the stun rod if you want to conserve ammo.

Sheva watches your health even more than you do and is quick to administer something the moment you get below a certain point. In this way she is an able cleric provided you thoughtfully supply her with the right healing items. She will always mix greens so never let her have any. Give her the reds so that if she ever finds a green on her own she'll instantly mix it for you. When in slow periods you should be self-regulating minor healing by consuming eggs to keep you above her activation point. When the battle gets hot and heavy, Sheva with a couple full heals will get you through the fight without dying.

By playing to Sheva's strengths and being aware of her weaknesses I have found her to be a wonderful companion. She has taken out threatening enemies whilst I reload. I've seen her shoot a transformer so that it lands on a Majini. I have seen her kick five people back in one context melee attack. I've seen her pick up supplies that I would have missed and I've seen her kill people I haven't even registered yet.

Some people just don't know how to treat a lady. :D

That's all nice and all, and it works pretty well for the first half of the game. But then you get to bits where she decides to just kinda stand right in front of a GIANT FUCKING DEATH LASER, or doesn't duck for cover with a machine gunner is aiming right at her face, or tries to make friends with a chainsaw.

Overall, she's just a hassle. They should've done one of two things for the single player mode:

1) Made her like Alyx in Half-Life 2, in that she can't die. She should exist solely to help you, never to hinder you.

2) Let you play as Chris alone. The parts where two characters are required could have easily been adjusted for this mode so that only one was required.

Either of these would've made the single player mode far more fun.

It also would've been nice if they'd let you have more control over her inventory. Tell her directly to drop or combine stuff instead of having to go to the trouble of exchanging stuff, combining it yourself, and then giving it back. But then that's just another issue where the inventory isn't nearly as streamlined as it should be, along with not being able to use or combine an item when you pick it up.

RoboPlato said:
Around 12-15 if you were going through with some one that also was doing it the first time.

Max out a weapon, exchange points for Infinite Ammo for that weapon under Bonus Features, turn it on under Special Options, then start a game and allow for Infinite Ammo.
It took me and my partner 8 hours our first time and we moved very slowly. I really don't see how it could take someone 12-15 hrs.

Also, my controller disconnects every time I fire a rocket; does this happen to anyone else?

Volcynika said:
Platinum, baby!

Almost there... just need to S-rank three more chapters to get the figurines trophy, and then beat it on Professional Mode.

Okay, so I'm not almost there. I need someone to play through pro with me.

Kard8p3

Jax said:
I don't know about you but the swamp level is so annoying that I really hated it. The only thing it does right is giving you the ability to choose levels to play. But that Imo breaks the game as a linear RE experience. THe game is different and imo breaks the SP flow of RE games. I hope they ditch it for RE6. As garnett said, the co-op play makes it very sidestoryish.

Its improves on RE4 on a few areas but I'd say its actually a massive step back in favour of becoming a generic action game with RE stylin. The SP experience was quite average. merceneries is a great minigame but lets be honest, we're playing RE5 because its a RE sequel. And as a sequel, its alright but it did fuck with itself.

Speak for yourself. As an RE game I loved 5 and it's up there with 2 as my favorite in the series. The swamp level is one of my favorite areas in the game and in structure slightly reminded me of older RE's where you could do some things in the order you wanted but it all lead to the same place. Then with the co-op I actually have to say it makes sense for the series. Throughout most of the games there have been parts where you and and an AI character would work together to do certain things. I've actually wanted co-op in RE ever since RE0 (which I wish they would have made into a co-op game with the wii port.) I also have to say that I think it still has the RE feel and I really don't see where you could see it as a generic action game.

Now anyway the main reason I came into the topic was to say that I finally beat freaking Ndesu on pro after 74 deaths and almost 2 hours of game time.

Ch. 3-1 was great. A huge, expansive environment with some nice exploration and great setpieces and atmosphere. The gloomy, cloudy skies and the tribal villages with infected tribal warriors creeped me the fuck out. It was just epic and creepy.

BamYouHaveAids said:
It took me and my partner 8 hours our first time and we moved very slowly. I really don't see how it could take someone 12-15 hrs.

Also, my controller disconnects every time I fire a rocket; does this happen to anyone else?
Does the in-game timer track deaths and retries? We were about 10.5 hours, if it doesn't count how many times we retried the reaper encounters or cutscenes, I can see that being 12+ real hours.

KevinCow said:
That's all nice and all, and it works pretty well for the first half of the game. But then you get to bits where she decides to just kinda stand right in front of a GIANT FUCKING DEATH LASER, or doesn't duck for cover with a machine gunner is aiming right at her face, or tries to make friends with a chainsaw.

Yea uh... sounds like they made the AI very accurate.

Neiteio

brandonh83 said:
Ch. 3-1 was great. A huge, expansive environment with some nice exploration and great setpieces and atmosphere. The gloomy, cloudy skies and the tribal villages with infected tribal warriors creeped me the fuck out. It was just epic and creepy.
Yeah, maybe I'm the only one, but I personally found the tribals scarier than any zombie in the series' past. Crimson Heads come close (aided by the terror incurred by old RE controls), but there's a certain cunning to the tribals that, coupled with the urine-yellow eyes and charcoal-grey skin, makes them seem especially dangerous. They're the least predictible of the Majini, too, limboing under bullets and goomba-stomping you.

The other thing I like about 3-1 is the hovercraft, particularly in splitscreen where there's this profound sense of "togetherness," the two of you safe on your boat as you traverse cold waters under a colder sky. It reminds me of the Great Sea in Wind Waker, but with better boat controls (no fighting the wind here!).

Kard8p3 said:
Now anyway the main reason I came into the topic was to say that I finally beat freaking Ndesu on pro after 74 deaths and almost 2 hours of game time.
We've heard you share your struggles. Now that you've beat it, you're obligated to tell us how. Let those of us who are yet to tackle Pro profit from your knowledge!

Also, I'm looking at the Executioner Majini's model in the Figure viewer and I have to comment how cool this guy looks. I never noticed before how there's two crisscrossing stakes stuck in his back flesh. It's almost like the stakes are keeping the plaga barred inside. The character design and attention to detail in this game is marvelous.

Papercuts

Son of Godzilla said:
Does the in-game timer track deaths and retries? We were about 10.5 hours, if it doesn't count how many times we retried the reaper encounters or cutscenes, I can see that being 12+ real hours.

Yea uh... sounds like they made the AI very accurate.

I don't think the game times deaths and retries, I also don't think it tracks time at the item menu. It said I beat the game around 12 hours the first time on Veteran, but I'm pretty sure it took closer to ~18.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I'm so close to a platinum.

I just need the trust trophy which I dont know why I haven't got it since I thank that ass all day and the combo one.

Prezhulio

shit, just beat it on veteran by myself, the partner ai......was less than cooperative for the final part :/ . i LOVE
mercenaries mode
more than any other RE before

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:
We've heard you share your struggles. Now that you've beat it, you're obligated to tell us how. Let those of us who are yet to tackle Pro profit from your knowledge!

I wish there was something to tell but it was mostly luck. All I really did was keep a constant eye on the enemies that would spawn so I could take them out quickly and I would try to guess which of the two main attacks he would use before doing them so I could quickly get him out of the animation. Other than that it was really luck.

Papercuts

Kard8p3 said:
I wish there was something to tell but it was mostly luck. All I really did was keep a constant eye on the enemies that would spawn so I could take them out quickly and I would try to guess which of the two main attacks he would use before doing them so I could quickly get him out of the animation. Other than that it was really luck.

Here's some general stuff that helped me on Pro:

-An AI partner helps...really! On co-op both players may be innaccurate at times, the AI is really good with the turret.

-Prioritize, go for the Majini asap but only if Ndesu isn't in an attack animation you need to stop.

-Leave the barrel to the right of Ndesu in tact. If he picks up a boulder, shoot the barrel so he drops it.

-Make sure you do all the dodge prompts correctly. This is actually another reason why an AI partner helps, they can't possibly mess up the input so you don't need to worry about anyone else messing up.

Jeez, Chapter 2-2 is tough on Professional. My friend and I died about 15x before finally beating it. Those dynamite-throwing Majini can rot in hell along with their damn dogs.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Man RE4 had way better enemy variety than RE5. I like the tribals but they don't replace the unholy monks along with their legion of masochist shredder clones, El Gigante's, Mr and Mrs chainsaw, invisible Novistadors, suits of armor, regenerators ect.

I honestly hoped to see more enemy and boss variety in RE5 especially towards the end. It seems like by the time the last act came around Capcom were like "F*ck it just copy and paste the Merc enemies from RE4 and stick an
AK47
in some of their hands. Oh yeah give the ability to
toss pipe bombs to one of the Chainguners.
". The bosses in general were all pretty underwhelming. Only some of the mid-bosses were even remotely fun to fight along with you know who towards the end. I don't know who was responsible for RE4's boss designs but they need him back.

Shaheed79 said:
Man RE4 had way better enemy variety than RE5. I like the tribals but they don't replace the unholy monks along with their legion of masochist shredder clones, El Gigante's, Mr and Mrs chainsaw, invisible Novistadors, suits of armor, regenerators ect.

I honestly hoped to see more enemy and boss variety in in RE5 especially towards the end. It seems like by the time the last act came around Capcom were like "F*ck it just copy and paste the Merc enemies from RE4 and stick an
AK47
in some of their hands. Oh yeah give the ability to
toss pipe bombs to one of the Chainguners.
". The bosses in general were all pretty underwhelming. Only some of the mid-bosses were even remotely fun to fight along with you know who towards the end. I don't know who was responsible for RE4's boss designs but they need him back.

I'm on 2-2 right now and am underwhelmed overall and agree with your sentiments 100%. This game just doesn't have the magic that 4 had. 4 is one of the best games in existence and this game can't hold a candle to it. The bosses in 4 were so awesome. My favorite was that blind slasher - so creative!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
nextgeneration said:
I'm on 2-2 right now and am underwhelmed overall and agree with your sentiments 100%. This game just doesn't have the magic that 4 had. 4 is one of the best games in existence and this game can't hold a candle to it. The bosses in 4 were so awesome. My favorite was that blind slasher - so creative!

Those are what I refer to as masochist Shredder clones. Absolutely genius design. But not only were the enemy designs fantastic the stage designs were some of the best I had ever seen. I don't know how they did it but they balanced stage layout and enemy difficulty so that it would be fun and challenging for novice and advanced players and still remain beatable for expert players who knew how to exploit enemy weaknesses with an un-upgraded starting pistol. Even though I haven't tried it yet I shutter at the thought of trying to beat RE5 on professional with an un-upgraded starting pistol. The game is not polished to that extent and it shows on the first play through.

Having said that you haven't even gotten to the good parts so hold off on judging it so soon. My favorite stages are 4 and parts of 5 and 6. You will know why I only say parts of 5 and 6 when you get to them lol. They did a lot of things well but fell short in some of RE4's more fun and addictive aspects. At least mercenaries is still a blast especially two player.

Top Bottom