• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

LordK

Sectus said:
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10050024.jpg - Sheva's third outfit is furiously awesome. Obvious spoiler for those who want to keep the outfit as a surprise.
That long bow is also furiously awesome. It's the only weapon with no kind of sight (laser sight or scope), so actually hitting something isn't that easy. But on the other hand it deals a ton of damage. So if you manage to get a good streak of something like 5 hits in a row you feel like a total badass.

Hey Sectus,

Is that outfit available during story mode? I know their first alts are, but there hasn't been confirmation on their second alts.

Thanks.

Third outfit? How many outfits are there? These days I am grateful to get one extra outfit for free. I am still undecided on which version of RE5 to get. The slowdown issue does not bother me on the PS3, so I think it all comes down to the controller preference.

I already beat the game but I have a simple question, can you start the game from zero without deleting the savegame?. The only thing I can do is a new game+ or start from one chapter at my choice, but in both cases I have all the stuff from the previous game.

I can't understand why you can have multiple savegames.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rockman zx said:
I already beat the game but I have a simple question, can you start the game from zero without deleting the savegame?. The only thing I can do is a new game+ or start from one chapter at my choice, but in both case I have all the stuff from the previous game.

Yeah, apparently you can't, although I can't confirm ir myself.

You could just make a new profile (or use another one on your console if you already have multiple accounts), it only takes a minute, but it's still absolutely ridiculous that you can't just start blank.

rockman zx said:
I already beat the game but I have a simple question, can you start the game from zero without deleting the savegame?. The only thing I can do is a new game+ or start from one chapter at my choice, but in both cases I have all the stuff from the previous game.

I know it is extra work but you can move your saved game which you want to keep to memory stick and start fresh or what Rez said above.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finished the game on normal; total play time was 11:43:19. That's a bit less than half of the time it took me to complete Resident Evil 4 on normal the first time through, but I had a blast playing through the game and am definitely going to be going through it multiple times! Haven't played co-op yet, but I suspect with another competent player, you could easily shave off a few hours on a first-time play-through.

Although the game's environments and level design overall were not as good as RE4's, RE5 does have better normal enemies and a much more satisfying story/ending. I enjoyed the last few final boss fights immensely more than RE4's, although that was more due to the characters involved and the presentation; RE4's bosses were more creative and challenging.

Looking forward to playing Mercenaries mode now (is it true this will be getting a patch that enables versus mode down the road?), the veteran difficulty, co-op, and unlocking everything, so there's plenty of replay value. While the game overall just doesn't touch RE4, it's a notch below it and definitely worth playing.

Spoiler-story-fanboy-rant-stuff:

-Were the flashback scenes with Wesker, Spencer, Chris, and Jill in any way a part of Umbrella Chronicles? I didn't complete it.

-Jill- Blonde hair, skintight duds, no memory-- they turned her into Cammy! :lol

-Speaking of Cammy, maybe I've just been playing too much SF4, but when Sheva was fighting Jill, she was doing some of Cammy's throws!

-The boss fight with Jill and Wesker felt like an homage to the Matrix. Well, Wesker himself has for a while now, but even the room you fight in looked like a scene from Reloaded.

-Speaking of the Matrix, so did the inside area of the abandoned Umbrella/Tricell lab!

-Did all of Jill's power come from the control device on her chest? From a fanboy perspective, I kept wondering why she didn't go with Chris and Sheva and just kick the shit out of everything.

Lyte Edge

Rhazer Fusion said:
Third outfit? How many outfits are there? These days I am grateful to get one extra outfit for free. I am still undecided on which version of RE5 to get. The slowdown issue does not bother me on the PS3, so I think it all comes down to the controller preference.

Three outfits for Chris and Sheva, and they're unlockables. No need to pay for unlock key "DLC" here!

Lyte Edge

Sectus said:
Besides camera angles and specific lighting I'm not convinced cutscenes do look better. I've been stepframing through some random footage I took from the game, and cutscenes and ingame looks pretty much the same quality.

Here's one random screenshot I took from the game: (it shows a secret character, so it's a bit of a spoiler. sorry, but it was one of the few screencaps I had available)
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/RE5/Comp10032826.jpg

I'd say that the character detail and lighting is easily just as good as that you've seen in cutscenes.

How did you get
Jill
as a partner in game? Or this just mercenaries?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's mercenaries...

cvxfreak

Lyte Edge:
The flashback wasn't part of UC, but the end of UC spoke of the hunt for Spencer, so that flashback is the result of Chris and Jill's detective work in UC as well as Wesker's own findings.

USD

Fuck. I haven't anticipated a game this much since RE4. I'm on the verge of tears thinking about how much I need this game right now. :lol

Wark

USD said:
Fuck. I haven't anticipated a game this much since RE4. I'm on the verge of tears thinking about how much I need this game right now. :lol

Yeah, this guy that lives close to me is playing the game right now and he won't tell me where he picked the game up. It's pissing me off. :( I'm starting to assume that he pirated it.

I can't remember if I was this hyped with MGS4 came out or not.

Lyte Edge

Is there something I'm missing with the infinite ammo setting? It's not working for me.

Also are there any FAQs or videos up yet with the medal locations? I replayed 1-2 and couldn't find any of them.

Sectus

copybeaver said:
Hey Sectus,

Is that outfit available during story mode? I know their first alts are, but there hasn't been confirmation on their second alts.

Thanks.
Yeah. Although I've only unlocked those outfits for mercenaries. Not sure how to unlock the third outfits for story mode.

Rhazer Fusion said:
3 outfits for Chris and Sheva. 2 outfits for the two other mercenaries characters.

Lyte Edge said:
Spoiler-story-fanboy-rant-stuff:

-Were the flashback scenes with Wesker, Spencer, Chris, and Jill in any way a part of Umbrella Chronicles? I didn't complete it.
Nope.

Lyte Edge said:
-Did all of Jill's power come from the control device on her chest? From a fanboy perspective, I kept wondering why she didn't go with Chris and Sheva and just kick the shit out of everything.
Yeah, that's right. It's explained in one of the files you unlock.

Lyte Edge

Sectus said:
Yeah. Although I've only unlocked those outfits for mercenaries. Not sure how to unlock the third outfits for story mode.

You need to get all the medals.

I can't wait to play it -- as a long time RE fan and a big survival horror guy in general, though, I'm going to say that (warning: unoriginal thought here :) I'm very concerned about the new direction of the series -- the direction that reportedly lacks suspense and horror altogether and is just pure action.

really makes me wonder -- capcom already has their lost planet and bionic commando and dead rising IPs -- all are great for action and the first two are probably great for co-op. why on earth did they decide to make RE into an action game as well? RE4 was a very good blend of action and suspense, why couldn't they keep it like that?

suspense and creepiness were such a huge part of RE, while I'm sure I'll love RE5, I really will miss the classic atmosphere of RE.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
See, to me, RE4 was an action game. People talk about it being creepy and all that, but I never quite got that. As an RE fan, I've already been through the mourning phase when it comes to the whole "survival horror" thing, and have long since accepted the action direction the series has taken. When you get a formula as good as RE4 is, it's hard to stay upset.

zoukka

HorribleJames said:
I can't wait to play it -- as a long time RE fan and a big survival horror guy in general, though, I'm going to say that (warning: unoriginal thought here :) I'm very concerned about the new direction of the series -- the direction that reportedly lacks suspense and horror altogether and is just pure action.

really makes me wonder -- capcom already has their lost planet and bionic commando and dead rising IPs -- all are great for action and the first two are probably great for co-op. why on earth did they decide to make RE into an action game as well? RE4 was a very good blend of action and suspense, why couldn't they keep it like that?

suspense and creepiness were such a huge part of RE, while I'm sure I'll love RE5, I really will miss the classic atmosphere of RE.

Horror isn't an easy genre to pull through. I guess there's no replacement for Mikami.

Rez said:
See, to me, RE4 was an action game. People talk about it being creepy and all that, but I never quite got that. As an RE fan, I've already been through the mourning phase when it comes to the whole "survival horror" thing, and have long since accepted the action direction the series has taken. When you get a formula as good as RE4 is, it's hard to stay upset.

well, RE4 really did have a lot of slower segments, creepy segments, lots of good pacing buildups. it wasn't ALWAYS hell breaking loose, just sometimes, that punctuation is what made it so good. a lot of the game was spent wandering into quiet, creepy areas and finding out what awaits.... a really good example would be the sewer. that part freaked me out!

obviously I'll have to reserve final judgement on RE5 until I actually have it, but when the co-op nature of the game and the demo came about I really had concerns forming already. IGN basically saying it's a great game but not an RE game kinda confirms it. not that IGN is gospel, but they wouldn't say it that strongly if there was nothing to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HorribleJames said:
well, RE4 really did have a lot of slower segments, creepy segments, lots of good pacing buildups. it wasn't ALWAYS hell breaking loose, just sometimes, that punctuation is what made it so good. a lot of the game was spent wandering into quiet, creepy areas and finding out what awaits.... a really good example would be the sewer. that part freaked me out!

obviously I'll have to reserve final judgement on RE5 until I actually have it, but when the co-op nature of the game and the demo came about I really had concerns forming already. IGN basically saying it's a great game but not an RE game kinda confirms it. not that IGN is gospel, but they wouldn't say it that strongly if there was nothing to it.
Ah, I get ya. I'm hoping the game has some of the slower sections that RE4 had as well. The slower sections made the ball-out action sequences that much more fun. The total all out warzone at the end of Chapter 5 in RE4 wouldn't have been half as great if it wasn't the climax to a buildup starting earlier on with the Regenerators in the labs.

oh, hell yes. the lab segment with the regenerators was some of the best shit EVER! that shit was generation defining right there. remember the parts leading up to and involving that optional boss guy (he was very hard to kill and all you HAD to do was survive until the door opened, but killing him gave you a chunk of change).

if RE5 is completely lacking anything like this I'll be upset.

bomb_jack

I suppose
the licker sections in the lab
are the replacement for the regenerators. It should be noted though that
later in the game regular enemies can explode causing damage like the regenerators

Varth

XxBigP123xX said:
For people that have beaten the game:
Are there any real(slow/stupid) zombies in the game?

Well, the normal ones aren't exactly graduated athletes, but no, there isn't any pre-ganados material, if that's what you mean.

duckroll

Beat the game about an hour ago. Really, really enjoyed the game. It's really fun and I'll definitely play it again some time. Having a New Game+ option really helps too. :)

S1kkZ

duckroll said:
Beat the game about an hour ago. Really, really enjoyed the game. It's really fun and I'll definitely play it again some time. Having a New Game+ option really helps too. :)
whats so special about new game+? i thought you can go back into the other chapters at any time?

jett said:
I know they are, but like DMC4 before it, the lighting and the shading recieve upgrades during them.

It really doesnt matter much this time though, as this game looks alot better than DMC4 overall...after killzone 2 this is prob the most impressive console game

Wark

I may have found a place that is selling the game early, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. I just gotta wait for the store to open up in an hour and then I'm going to go check it out. Wish me luck GAF!

gconsole

2 things to remind. RE5 is multiplatform and online co-op. So with the current visual we see, if it's on par with Kill Zone on any aspect we should call it super impressive.

[Nintex]

This games makes use of the PS3/Xbox 360 power for kick-ass monsters, I always prefer that to soldiers and industrial themes. I've got to say that Jun Takeuchi did an amazing job, in fact the Inafune-Takeuchi combination seems to work quite well for Capcom. It's a shame that Mikami and Kamiya left, but they're rocking with Platinum Games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gconsole said:
2 things to remind. RE5 is multiplatform and online co-op. So with the current visual we see, if it's on par with Kill Zone on any aspect we should call it super impressive.
It does some things nicely but not even close to a KZ2 level.

And I do hope this is more like the older RE games and not more action. To someone who has been in this since the beginning I really like it the old way and not the more action route. I'm in it for the story either way.

[Nintex]

LiquidMetal14 said:
I haven't played RE5 yet(except for the demo) so it's too early to tell. Remember that Resident Evil 4 looked 'amazing' untill you reached the lava room and every last bit of Flipper overheated to render that on screen. The game was jaw dropping at times, so at a first glance people might've said <insert_game> looked better, but RE4 had some graphical showcases well beyond any other last generation game.

Sectus

S1kkZ said:
whats so special about new game+? i thought you can go back into the other chapters at any time?
There is nothing special about new game +, I don't know why it's even called that. Choosing new game + is the same as choosing chapter 1-1 in chapter select at any time.

Nemesis_

Just finished it. As a Resident Evil fan, I'm very impressed with the story and the attempts Capcom have made to fill in the plotholes opened up in the series. It was done in a great way, as I've said before, and there was no real jumping the shark.

As for some other, well, spoiler-free impressions - the boss battles are awesome and plentiful. You have a huge range of boss battles, from giant creatures, humanoid creatures even to some pretty intense human battles as well. All in all, the boss battles are really what made me come to love the game (particularly one after a fairly large revelation). Creatures are also really nice, with some really cool homages to previous ones in the series.

The ending was not so great but as I said to Kae, no Resi endings ever are. There's an EXPLOSION and some chatter, but nothing major, and RE5 is kind similar there.

For those wondering, final play time was about 18 hours, though we could maybe deduct an hour or two for leaving the game paused at times (Veteran Mode). My final verdict: one of the most enjoyable Resident Evil games to play, with some of the bosses not really fitting into the series but at the same time I understand they had to be there to facilitate the new gameplay. That being said, this game definitely out does Resident Evil 4 in almost every facet. =)

Now, off to play
MERCENARIES MODE
! ^_^

LiquidMetal14

[Nintex] said:
I haven't played RE5 yet(except for the demo) so it's too early to tell. Remember that Resident Evil 4 looked 'amazing' untill you reached the lava room and every last bit of Flipper overheated to render that on screen. The game was jaw dropping at times, so at a first glance people might've said <insert_game> looked better, but RE4 had some graphical showcases well beyond any other last generation game.
Truthfully, I just want a good variety of environments. I always like seeing different locales and not the same kind of rooms the entire game. This one looks like it has a nice spectrum.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Okay, read a bunch of impressions and I'm starting to warm up to the game now. Could it be that the demo is a bad indication of the quality of the full game?

eso76

LiquidMetal14 said:

And I do hope this is more like the older RE games and not more action.

Well, this means you haven't played the full game, then ?
If i were to judge KZ2's graphics from the demo i would call it one of the biggest cases of "overrated !" in recent history, but i know the game gets much better than that and so does RE5, i assume.

Darunia said:
Okay, read a bunch of impressions and I'm starting to warm up to the game now. Could it be that the demo is a bad indication of the quality of the full game?

You're certainly in for a lot of cool stuff that wasn't in the demo. Maybe a few gameplay surprises here and there.

duckroll

RE5 does not look anything close to KZ2 technically. We shouldn't even have this discussion here since it's pointless. It doesn't have to look as good, because it's very fun as it is. RE5 is generally a VERY souped up Lost Planet, graphically. The lighting and explosions look pretty awesome.

RE5's greatest advantage over previous RE games, graphically, is actually more of a matter of art direction. Throughout the game you move through a lot of different types of areas and different settings. There's a good mix of scenes ranging from day time, dusk, night, underground, above ground, inside a building, etc. The transitions when you move from one type of area to another can be pretty breathtaking, like when you get back to the surface after a mine, or go from a cave tunnel into a clearing, etc.

LiquidMetal14

eso76 said:
Well, this means you haven't played the full game, then ?
If i were to judge KZ2's graphics from the demo i would call it one of the biggest cases of "overrated !" in recent history, but i know the game gets much better than that and so does RE5, i assume.
No point in arguing what I've seen from both games. If KZ2 is compared to a game like Crysis (Not by me) then that has to say something. I'm pretty sure the game goes into different spaces but even by the videos and screens, this isn't even close to the technical feats KZ2 is pulling off.

Either way, this game looks like fun. I still stand by my sentiments of liking the older style of games more and not the action route.

duckroll said:
RE5 does not look anything close to KZ2 technically. We shouldn't even have this discussion here since it's pointless. It doesn't have to look as good, because it's very fun as it is. RE5 is generally a VERY souped up Lost Planet, graphically. The lighting and explosions look pretty awesome.

RE5's greatest advantage over previous RE games, graphically, is actually more of a matter of art direction. Throughout the game you move through a lot of different types of areas and different settings. There's a good mix of scenes ranging from day time, dusk, night, underground, above ground, inside a building, etc. The transitions when you move from one type of area to another can be pretty breathtaking, like when you get back to the surface after a mine, or go from a cave tunnel into a clearing, etc.
This is what I wanted to say but I don't have the retail product to make your claims. I agree and really didn't want to step on toes. I think I will prefer a lot of the aspects of RE's gameplay than to KZ's.

BeeDog

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
From what I've seen, I'd say RE 5 stands up pretty well against Killzone 2. Obviously technically Killzone 2 has the edge, but the lack of interaction in the environments and the repetitive locales really hurts it overall aesthetics. The game is also on a much smaller scale than the original trailers had lead to believe, as it's basically a corridor shooter with good looking skyboxes that you never get to truly explore. I can't fault the stunning motion capture and the lighting effects, but to me RE5 is a much more visually appealing game.

Not to get into a pissing match here, but can't say I agree with you regarding some things. First of all, the environments are definitely much more interactive than the ones in RE5; at least from what I've gathered from the demo and the videos, the only breakable things in RE5 are essentially containers and explosive barrels. And RE5's environments aren't huge either.

But whatever, both games do stuff well, and that's all that matters.

gantz85

Banned
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I'm just going by the demo, but in public assembly the executioner has the ability to knock down pretty much all of the buildings in the area. I haven't seen interaction on that scale in Killzone 2 apart from perhaps on one occasion.

I think Killzone 2 gets more credit than it deserves. For a game that is praised for being such a technical wonder, it runs out of tricks pretty fast. While atmospheric, the levels are kind of bland. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though, I just think it's overrated.

Its technical innovations aren't just destructible-environments and such; a ton of effort was placed on character animations, ragdolls, inverse kinematics etc. The Helghast react to shots unlike any other shooter game.

I think you just need to be a bit more critical, if you've even played Killzone 2 at all.

Top Bottom