• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Blueblur1

Amir0x said:
I love them, they are so much more permanent feeling. They look great too. I think it's one of the few noteworthy things these developers can add. Throw in a making-of DVD or a soundtrack and an artbook (hardcover only plz), but this other crap they keep adding is terrible.
That's why I'm sticking with the regular edition.

USD

Hahaha, I love burning Majini with an incendiary grenade and hearing them shout, "Beka beka! Beka beka!" while watching flailing around. :lol

Magnus

Naw, framerate issue on the PS3 is definitely not game-breaking, but it is irritating. Boss battle 1's visuals took quite the tumble when a lot was happening on screen. If I can avoid that, I will; 360 version inc, tomorrow.

MrDaravon

Amir0x said:
I love them, they are so much more permanent feeling. They look great too. I think it's one of the few noteworthy things these developers can add. Throw in a making-of DVD or a soundtrack and an artbook (hardcover only plz), but this other crap they keep adding is terrible.

I am totally 100% with you; I'll buy most CE's if it comes in a steel case, but for example I didn't buy the Fallout CE because it was just the regular edition of the game with a lunchbox and bobble head, what the hell am I going to do with that?

Costanza said:
what the fuuuuuuck

every walmart I call says people have been calling about it all day and they can't find the game.

gamestop better fucking have extra copies...

Normally I'd say you're fine, but one of my local Gamestops that is doing a midnight release tonight told my coworker at lunch today that they have no extra copies of the 360 version, and only had a couple PS3 ones left. I'd imagine if you shop around in the morning you'd have no problem though, if nothing else you should be able to pop into Best Buy or somewhere and get it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
I am totally 100% with you; I'll buy most CE's if it comes in a steel case, but for example I didn't buy the Fallout CE because it was just the regular edition of the game with a lunchbox and bobble head, what the hell am I going to do with that?
make love to the bobble head, duh

I must say. I'm pretty pissed off.

I drove down to my girlfriend's house so she could visit her family while we're on spring break at college. The weather has been nice all week, like in the 70's. Well, as soon as we get here, which is about a 2 hour drive away, it decides to randomly come a blizzard outside, so now I'm trapped at her house until tomorrow and therefore, no midnight RE5 launch for me.

The weather is usually pretty random here until around May, but I'm convinced that a higher power was at work against me this time.

Damn it all to hell. :D <---the most sarcastic use of this smiley GAF has ever seen :D :D :D :D :D :D
FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKING GOD DAMN IT

crops55

Getting off work in exactly three minutes. Then I'm high-tailin it to Wal-mart to pick this up. Dude in the electronics department said there was a huge stack of them for non-reserves. He better be right. Oh, he better be right....or else....

resident-evil-5-5.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
brandonh83 said:

I drove down to my girlfriend's house so she could visit her family while we're on spring break at college. The weather has been nice all week, like in the 70's. Well, as soon as we get here, which is about a 2 hour drive away, it decides to randomly come a blizzard outside, so now I'm trapped at her house until tomorrow and therefore, no midnight RE5 launch for me.

The weather is usually pretty random here until around May, but I'm convinced that a higher power was at work against me this time.

Damn it all to hell. :D <---the most sarcastic use of this smiley GAF has ever seen :D :D :D :D :D :D
you should warm your girlfriend up with your cock

careksims

brandonh83 said:

Seriously? A blizzard in March? Where is this? Talk about bad luck/timing of all things :/ Sorry to hear about that.

~Kinggi~ said:
you should warm your girlfriend up with your cock

Wow very first reply :lol

I'm in Kentucky. Fucking state. Yes, seriously, a RANDOM BLIZZARD in March. Yeah, it snows sometimes, but it's never this bad this time of year... well, most times. It just started right as we were about to head back too. I decided, hell, it can't be that bad. And it wasn't for the first five miles or so. But as soon as we got out of her town, I mean it started shitbombing ice and snow to the point where we couldn't see the road. So I turned around. It took us forever to get back to her house since I was driving so slow but I couldn't see jack shit.

Tek

brandonh83 said:

You must be near Bowling Green. I live in Kentucky as well, Louisville. Weather is fine for me. 37 degrees, no snow and about to leave the house now.

:D

mittelos

~Kinggi~ said:
I could go to the midnight release.....hmm, but instead i think ill save it till tomorrow.
Same. I've been debating all day, but I've got work tomorrow, so I really wouldn't be able to play tonight anyway.

Akim

Banned
I was gonna pick this up at midnight but I think I'd rather pick up some extra hours of Zzzzzzzzz. I'll play tomorrow.

duckroll

Shaheed79 said:
Then it's ignoring one of the most addicting aspects of RE4. RE4 allowed you to play the game however you wanted to. The better you got at the game the more you wanted to show off how good you were by not wasting a lot of ammo on enemies you can suplex or roundhouse off platforms. I mastered the stutter step in RE4 that would make the enemy miss their lunge leaving them wide open to a knife to the face to suplex or round house. If a lot of enemies were surrounding you then roundhouse if only a couple then suplex and hope for the head pop.

I've completed RE4 21 times between 3 different versions so I was glad to see they kept a lot of the exploits intact. The stutter step works just as well on RE5 enemies so setting up the melee attack would work just as well if Shiva wasn't so completely inept. She may not for you guys but Shiva WASTES my ammo. I ALWAYS go for the weak point to set up a melee attack depending on the situation. For me that is the majority of the fun in RE4/5 not shooting someone in random places until they die. That's boring.

I think there are VERY few people that actually played RE4 like you did. Sure, it kinda sucks if you look at it that way, but it's very obvious Capcom isn't catering to that crowd. They're more interested in catering to a crowd that's more interestered in playing pure action games, replaying a game to unlock all the available stuff, playing online with friends, etc.

They took a much bigger risk going from the previous REs -to- RE4 to begin with, since a large number of fans in the series enjoyed the series for the horror and scare elements too. Those were pretty much completely absent in RE4 and it still did well, so they're just moving further in a certain direction.

So here we have a game that is designed towards one sort of playing style. What is the motivation to replay it? I was never the type to enjoy plowing through a game with an unlimited ammo super weapon feeling invincible. I would need to find a person who enjoys conserving ammo and exploiting melee attacks as much as I do but even then their doing half the work that I want to be doing myself. RE4 was a great mastery game.

For you I guess there's very little reason to replay at all. For the average player, there's probably the same motivation to replay the game as any other game of the sort: Unlockables, harder difficulty levels, playing with different friends, etc. You're just not going to find the type of game here that RE4 is, and honestly judging from the comments I would say unfortunately you're mostly alone really.

-Winnie-

Any idea if Capcom will patch the PS3 version in the future? The framerate problems are pretty obvious. Not terrible, but very obvious.
Also, is there supposed to be a patch for
online mercenaries
?

Tek said:
You must be near Bowling Green. I live in Kentucky as well, Louisville. Weather is fine for me. 37 degrees, no snow and about to leave the house now.

:D

Richmond, I go to EKU. But she lives near the border of Tennessee in Whitley City. Their school is canceled tomorrow :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Coin Return said:
Just got back from Gamestop, anyone else get one of these swank art cells?

http://xs537.xs.to/xs537/09114/lasercell833.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That looks awesome, does it come with the CE?

duckroll

-Winnie- said:
Any idea if Capcom will patch the PS3 version in the future? The framerate problems are pretty obvious. Not terrible, but very obvious.
Also, is there supposed to be a patch for
online mercenaries
?

Online Mercenaries is already in. I doubt they'll patch it, since I doubt they can magically get the game running much better after release. MT Framework has always been a little weaker on the PS3, like any other multiplatform engine that was built for 360 games first. I doubt MT Framework 2.0 will be any different, but it's far from unplayable so I don't see them doing much about that.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
RoboPlato said:
That looks awesome, does it come with the CE?
No, I'm not sure if it's Gamestop exclusive or what, but they only got a couple of them and I got one because I'm a "regular customer". I barely buy a game a month there :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Coin Return said:
No, I'm not sure if it's Gamestop exclusive or what, but they only got a couple of them and I got one because I'm a "regular customer". I barely buy a game a month there :/
That's cool. I'll see if I can get one tomorrow.

USD

I can't wait to try an Ashley mode run through (take away all of Sheva's weapons and leave her to be my ammo packhorse). It's probably how I'll do my first single-player playthrough (since I'll most likely being going through in coop first).

duckroll said:
I think there are VERY few people that actually played RE4 like you did. Sure, it kinda sucks if you look at it that way, but it's very obvious Capcom isn't catering to that crowd. They're more interested in catering to a crowd that's more interestered in playing pure action games, replaying a game to unlock all the available stuff, playing online with friends, etc.

For you I guess there's very little reason to replay at all. For the average player, there's probably the same motivation to replay the game as any other game of the sort: Unlockables, harder difficulty levels, playing with different friends, etc. You're just not going to find the type of game here that RE4 is, and honestly judging from the comments I would say unfortunately you're mostly alone really.

Yeah everyone's tastes are different and for me, going back to the levels that tormented me a week before, only now I'm super powered and have a gun that flings five bad guys off the catwalk every time I pull the trigger, that's one of the great joys in life.

I never liked the RE games for the melee combat, probably because I don't get to shoot people in real life with superpowered guns, but do get to engage in a lot of melee combat due to my time on the Ultimate Fighting circuit. So I don't want to play a game where it's just another day at work for me. I mean, they even made the main character look like me. I want fantasy, not real life, dammit!

duckroll

USD said:
I can't wait to try an Ashley mode run through (take away all of Sheva's weapons and leave her to be my ammo packhorse). It's probably how I'll do my first single-layer playthrough (since I'll mostly likely being going through in coop first).

I'm pretty sure you need at least one weapon equipped on each character. What I did was give her all the weapons that use different ammo from the weapons I wanted to use. I took away her handgun after 1-1, and ammo didn't become a problem for me anymore. she was totally a mule too. She carried all my grenades and all the ammo for shit that I didn't even have on me. :lol

burgerdog

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure you need at least one weapon equipped on each character. What I did was give her all the weapons that use different ammo from the weapons I wanted to use. I took away her handgun after 1-1, and ammo didn't become a problem for me anymore. she was totally a mule too. She carried all my grenades and all the ammo for shit that I didn't even have on me. :lol

Nah, earlier I was playing as Sheva and forgot to give Chris a weapon and he was trying to shank dudes and failing miserably :lol

duckroll

Amir0x said:
As a mini-sidenote, I've gotta stop convincing myself to buy these "COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS". And I wish there was a semi-collector's edition that JUST had the Steel Book instead of all this other superfluous crap that wouldn't be out of place falling from a quarter machine.

Tricell bag is crap, Leon figurine is truly crap, Patch is crap, Africa necklace is LOLOLOLOL crap. All crap, except bonus DVD and steel book. All that other stuff cost like 22 cents to produce, stop making me buy in just to get the steel book case >_<

I bet you wouldn't bitch if yours looked like this...

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_00.jpg
bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_wxp.jpg

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_001.jpg
bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_002.jpg

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_003.jpg

Majora

Up to the end of 2-1 and so far I would say it's like Resi 4 without the great pacing, atmosphere and inventiveness. It's a perfectly playable game but I can pretty much already feel that it won't be reaching the same heights. In fact I'd say it's ever so slightly bland so far.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Majora said:
Up to the end of 2-1 and so far I would say it's like Resi 4 without the great pacing, atmosphere and inventiveness. It's a perfectly playable game but I can pretty much already feel that it won't be reaching the same heights. In fact I'd say it's ever so slightly bland so far.

Uh oh!

~Kinggi~

Banned
GiantBomb gives it 5/5

http://www.giantbomb.com/resident-evil-5/61-20569/

"There's really no way Resident Evil 5 could have lived up to the momentous impact made by the last proper Resident Evil game, but I don't think it needed to. That game paved the way for a lot of other great games, one of which is this direct sequel. I played it start to finish in three sittings, have played it extensively in other capacities while working on this review, and still can't wait to go back and play through it again cooperatively on higher difficulties to open up more of its goodies. If that's not the definition of a fine action game, I don't know what is."

~Kinggi~

Banned
jett said:
I had no idea the cut-scenes were FMV. I guess that explains the graphical difference between them and gameplay. :p
they arent fmv. Custom costumes apparently show up in them.

and i like how you edit your post to emphasis the negativity.

"I had no idea the cut-scenes were pre-recorded FMV. Kinda lame to be honest."

mattso

so I upgraded the first shotgun and rifle you get fully and I'm almost there with the first pistol and about half with the first magnum.

For now all my upgrading is on hold so I can buy the
longbow
. Stupid high cost.

Captain N

mattso said:
so I upgraded the first shotgun and rifle you get fully and I'm almost there with the first pistol and about half with the first magnum.

For now all my upgrading is on hold so I can buy the
longbow
. Stupid high cost.

just how much does it cost?

Top Bottom