• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
george_us said:
I've done three boss fights so far
the heater room boss, the giant bat/centipede boss, and el gigante
and the first boss alone in RE4 obliterates anything I've encountered in RE5.
Please, finish the game and see all the bosses before you actually say something. The first few bosses are nothing compared to the later ones.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Am I wrong or does CV basically get retconned?

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Wesker: The last time we met was at the Spencer mansion.

No it wasn't...

TheCardPlayer

Y2Kev said:
Am I wrong or does CV basically get reconned?

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Wesker: The last time we met was at the Spencer mansion.

No it wasn't...
You know the flashbacks you see continually thourough the game? Well that take places way after CV.

Rash said:
I wish I could remember what that fight was like the first time I experienced it. All I remember is it being tense, but nothing beyond that.

This is what happens to you once you have the Chicago Typewriter and can beat him in 5 seconds. :lol
Never played the game with the Typewriter. Don't really see the challange when I have unlimited ammo.

And yeah, I still remember almost all the RE4 boss fights being incredibly intense. The interesting thing is that the game blew me away with every boss fight. Except from Saddler, every boss fight was basically better than the one before. Ahhh... It was such a great game. What a shame that Capcom screwed 5 sooooo much. :(

TheCardPlayer said:
No it was horribly lame. It's a freaking giant green troll for fuck's sake. :lol

Oh and KeeSomething, your stupidity, grammar and general attitude just convinced me to ignore you all together. Congrats. You are the first GAF user I actually put on ignore.
Immaturity at its finest.

Davey Cakes

TheExorzist said:
Never played the game with the Typewriter. Don't really see the challange when I have unlimited ammo.
Well, there pretty much is zero challenge. Using the Typewriter and the Infinite Launcher is a means of just blowing through the game for the fun of it. Just obliterating everything in sight is fun in a different way from the challenge of the first playthrough.

That said, I don't waste shots. While using the Typewriter I try to keep a high hit ratio. So, instead of just going "Rambo" and blindly shooting, I use the weapon more like a pistol.

Dahbomb

RE4 has better boss fights yes but RE5 overall has some pretty great ones as well. Problem with RE5 is that the "good" boss fights don't start until the end of Chapter 3-3 and when they start popping up they start getting better and better.

The first 3 boss fights for RE5 are pathetic really... they look cool and move around in a threatening manner but fail to instill any level of intensity in the player. The later bosses on the other hand...

And what's up with people complaining about the levels and set pieces? I think they are genuinely fun and engaging, particularly that area in the caves where it feels like you are in some cross of RE and Tomb Raider. Great stuff there especially with the amount of treasures there, makes one a happy camper. And that area is also a great way of showing off the co-op because it is a very environment puzzle oriented area designed around co-op mechanics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheCardPlayer said:
You know the flashbacks you see continually thourough the game? Well that take places way after CV.
Uh, how in the world could you confuse this with a flashback? This is happening in present day. But I actually see my mistake now. Nevermind. The cutscene with
Jill and Chris searching for the old dude is them searching for Spencer. I couldn't remember if his name was spencer or something else.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Duck Amuck said:
I bought two bulletproof vests. Should I just use those now and not the melee vests?

Can you even wear two at once? You can wear it along with the melee vest atleast.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Duck Amuck said:
I bought two bulletproof vests. Should I just use those now and not the melee vests?

they won't be of much use until chapter 5. And you can put 1 bullet proof and 1 meelee vest on a character at the same time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
This game is awesome! :D
My friend and I played a lot of this last night and we had a blast. The co-op works great for the game. This isn't really a spoiler but I'm going to spoiler tag it anyway... but
can you not combine treasures to create better treasures like in 4?

Teknoman

george_us said:
On an interesting note: Does it feel like the camera has an unhealthy fascination of Sheva's ass?

You noticed that too huh? Wonder if the woman who was the basis for here model/animations (a few posts up) had any input on that :lol

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
This game is so so good. Playing it with a friend first before going solo and it makes a huge difference. Still not finished, but I haven't been let down so far.

Oh, and
stun rod FTW.

TheCardPlayer

Teknoman said:
You noticed that too huh? Wonder if the woman who was the basis for here model/animations (a few posts up) had any input on that :lol
If anything, I wanted more of her ass. So good. Michelle Van Der Water - WIN

FartOfWar

Banned
Teknoman said:
wj9tky.jpg
Is that fucking McNulty? What is this?

george_us

Teknoman said:
Haha that was one of the first things I noticed. I was thinking "there's...a lot of booty shots in these cutscenes.":lol

Don't know if it has been mentioned yet (I'm not checking this thread until I beat the game), but apparently Capcom has DLC trophies waiting for those who purchase the $5 Versus DLC.

HAVE FUN NEVER HAVING 100% COMPLETION

But seriously, some of the trophies are things like "Win 50 matches of X" or "Achieve X points in X".

Really, Capcom?

I waste enough time getting ribbons in Killzone 2. The last thing I need to do is waste time playing your half-baked multi.

:|

Volcynika

AnonymousNoob said:
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet (I'm not checking this thread until I beat the game), but apparently Capcom has DLC trophies waiting for those who purchase the $5 Versus DLC.

But seriously, some the trophies are things like "Win 50 matches of X" or "Achieve X points in X".

Really, Capcom?

I waste enough time getting ribbons in Killzone 2. The last thing I need to do is waste time playing your half-baked multi.

:|

Burnout's new car DLC added stuff like that and so did Mirror's Edge. That's what substantial DLC outside of something like costumes does. It's nothing new, really. And I'm a completionist, but I don't mind. Platinum's are still obtainable by achieving the game's base content trophies, at least in all the cases I know.

AnonymousNoob said:

My life will NEVER be complete now! There will always be a hole in my heart where those gamerpoints should have bee........NOBODY'S FORCING YOU TO GET IT. :lol

Captain N

Volcynika said:
Burnout's new car DLC added stuff like that and so did Mirror's Edge. That's what substantial DLC outside of something like costumes does. It's nothing new, really. And I'm a completionist, but I don't mind. Platinum's are still obtainable by achieving the game's base content trophies, at least in all the cases I know.

That's exactly how it is with all PS3 games. I believe you can get a Platinum in Burnout with less than 75% even.

Just team up with a friend and share wins/kills.

Volcynika said:

Yeah, I know.

It's not a huge deal, just kind of lame seeing as the DLC for both Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge is rather worthwhile (though it could be argued that the RE5 DLC is worthwhile to someone), as opposed to this opportunistic tripe.

Volcynika

AnonymousNoob said:
Yeah, I know.

It's not a huge deal, just kind of lame seeing as the DLC for both Burnout Paradise and Mirror's Edge is rather worthwhile (though it could be argued that the RE5 DLC is worthwhile to someone), as opposed to this opportunistic tripe.

Burnout's seems a bit eh considering the cost of the cars, but yeah. Mirror's Edge is substantial to those that got to 100% anyways, since you need to do tons of time-trialing.

CHAPTER 5-2!!!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!

This is incredible!!! Its a great fusion of old school with new school, its like a dream come true.

Call me crazy but even
the gun carrying enemies was handled extremely well, gives us a cool new enemy, its not done in a way where you feel its a different game.

The boss was the best so far.

Everything about this level was incredible, conveyor belt combat AWESOME. These setpieces are so imaginative, its actually starting to surpass RE4 in that area.

The build up to the new BOW, the Reaper, it felt like classic RE all over again. You read the file about this new monster, you know its coming, you see eggs and everything and then there is it, it was like a cross of a chimera and a nosvistador.

Or how about the licker room where you can silently walk around them, with that giant light spinning around the room, beautiful. Of course they get alerted and its an all out Licker battle.

ZOMBIES!!!

But hands down the moment for me was the Urobors boss fight. It was like a classic RE boss fight redone in RE4 style. A flame thrower!!! And one you have to charge up, it reminded me so much of some of the old RE battles where you would have to wait for a super weapon to charge up, like the gun in CV or even the giant gun in RE3.

Must keep going! Oh and I dont understand how anyone can say the first half of this game is better than the second half, the second half is on a different level, its like a different game.

Are there pictures of some of the preorder goodies for Resident Evil? I wanted to see Gamestop's item they were giving away that my friend was suppose to get. I got a Sand Globe thing that's pretty cool, and i'm just curious what else was given out.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Question about the after-game...

If you play mercenaries with two people, do you have to get twice as high a score to get the A rank? And does playing doubles still unlock the other characters?

Amir0x

Banned
Game just gets better and better. I can't stop laughing at the line
"IT'S AN EXTREME MAKEOVER"
, so goddamn cheesy. That whole character is so cheesy.

I love this game so hard. Co-op makes so many games infinite times better, and this is top tier co-op experience. 10/10 continually confirmed.

Gowans

anyone up for a friendly run through the end of my game on co-op in an hour?

I'm up to around 4.2 on normal.

I'll be on live in 60, Gowans007

Pewp

Beat it last night with a friend in about 9 hours. I loved the game but damn does it ever end on a sour note. The dialogue was pretty predictable due to the fact that it was all cliches. All in all I think it does stand up as swell squeal to RE4.

mattso

all 30 bsaa emblems are mine

now I will get online later today and whoever's game I join will be jealous of my awesome tribal sheva complete with
longbow and my new burst pistol

2real4tv

Nose Master said:
This game is really, really disappointing. It seems like there was no effort put into, well, anything involved. Playing it single-player isn't even worth it, and makes the game a hundred times worse. Playing it co-op is fun, but looking back on it, it's not anywhere near as good as re4. I played it for five hours straight last night, and I honestly can't think of a single cutscene that was worth watching. 90% of them are just Chris and Sheva fumbling around confused.

Meh.

This is my opinion so far. Anyone want to play right now XBL: Bigmanny287(no mic)

careksims

Oh man me and my buddy have been playing RE5 and now at 5-3. I believe we'll finish it today. I love the co-op in the game and the whole game has been a blast so far.
So many funny and awesome co-op moments. I wish there was a way to record them all. One of the best co-op games I've played. Mics are must!

The only real tense/scary moment was
the licker rooms/corridors.

I can see why people have said it isn't really RE. I think it needed more puzzles and more levels.

Despite that, I been having a fun time.

SF4, KZ2, and RE5 have made this 1st quarter or gaming. full of mighty WIN!

TChirath

Neo Member
Quick question here. How many points do I need to collect for infinite S&W 500 (handcannon)? I'd like to plan ahead and I don't want spend too much to fully upgrade it if I can't afford it for awhile.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rash said:
Holy darn. The opinions on this game are all over the place!

One moment I find someone who loves the game but thinks it tapers off in the second half, the next moment I find someone who loves the game and thinks the second half trumps the first. What the hell is going on?

RE5 is one of the wackiest cases of differing opinions that I've ever seen.

Maybe its a mix of people playing it co-op and on veteran like it was meant to be, and people that are playing it alone on normal/cakewalk mode.

edit: how are people beating this so fast? me and my friend just now hit the halfway point at 7 hours 45 minutes.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Fyrus said:
Does the P8 have any advantages over the M92F? It looks inferior in the stats.

I didn't bother with it since I had upgraded my pistol a few times before the new one was available. The M92 is a good weapon just like the starting pistol from RE4. Maybe something better will come along, so I'd stick with what you have and save your cash, especially given that selling weapons doesn't yield much.

BeeDog

Wee, just finished the game (alone) on Normal now. My final score would be a solid 8/10, has nothing on RE4, but it's still a very fun game. The cutscenes were mostly awesome (despite some cheese here and there, and the awful green tint filter), and the graphics are solid (nice environmental geometry, and awesome character models). Still need to try co-op, but that will probably have to wait a bit, since I wanna find the emblems and hoard cash so I can upgrade weapons and unlock shit.

Oh, and the end parts were so-so, can't say I really liked the last boss fight. Spoilers:
I HATE boss fights were certain things are taken for granted, and you HAVE to do them in order so even be able to survive. Like NOT push the boulder before he jumps away, NOT be touched by his arm (and immediately fall into the lava), you CAN'T jump over the boulder as Chris even though it doesn't look impossible, you HAVE to shoot Wesker while Sheva's climbing etc... Don't like this stuff, and the last part is lame.

Just wondering, what differs between New Game+ and just jumping back to chapters? Also, do you get less money/more ammo when playing on Easy?

Finished up chapter 3. The game is really growing on me now. Once you accept it's "Call of Resident Evil 5" the pacing is quite good.
Irving
is like an even more annoying Biff from back to the future, if that's possible. Overall the character fails outside of a few funny lines.

Really want to start getting some new weapons though, my handgun is fully upgraded except for capacity. Started upgrading the shotgun, then found a better one during the next chapter =p

It's not the "masterpiece" RE4 was, but it's damn fun and I haven't even tried co-op yet.

Sectus

Rez said:
Much earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the game not being timeless because "the servers will eventually be shut down". I was under the impression that the game was run strictly through P2P. Doesn't that mean that there aren't servers to shut down? Meaning, we'll always be able to play the game?
Just about all games on xbox live are "p2p" but they all also rely on xbox live for matchmaking. If xbox live is shut down in 10 years or whatever, you cant play any xbox 360 games online anymore (even though your own connection is what would host any game).

PC version would be the perfect solution to this. As long as Capcom are smart enough to add direct ip support.

Sectus said:
Just about all games on xbox live are "p2p" but they all also rely on xbox live for matchmaking. If xbox live is shut down in 10 years or whatever, you cant play any xbox 360 games online anymore (even though your own connection is what would host any game).

PC version would be the perfect solution to this. As long as Capcom are smart enough to add direct ip support.

System link is supported so I imagine some sort of tunneling app could also be an option.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Playing single player on Veteran has got to be one of the most futile exercises on a mans patience I have ever experienced in a game of this quality. I mean they literally abandoned everything about RE4 that made it so completely balanced and replayable on any difficulty setting. You can tell that they didn't spend the proper amount of time play testing and balancing the single player gameplay like PS4 did with RE4.

It really is frustrating because the game has the potential to be just as awesome as RE4 but fails to reach that goal because of the game mechanics they decided to change. I guess the hard part is knowing that the game mechanics they decided to change were never broken in the first place. They could have easily cut and paste the mechanics from RE4 to use for RE5 single player and then kept the new mechanics for co-op.

Considering everything else they changed there is no excuse for the broken inventory system. To force a persistent unified inventory system for single player when your only trying to replay previous parts in order to tackle the section you just played differently or better was the worst decision they could have made. I don't even think they thought about it that deeply because the broken inventory system is merely a side affect of the decision to use a unified save system for both online and offline gameplay.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Duck Amuck said:
You can mix them together? I tried putting them in my inventory and they both take up two slots. That's too much.

no you can't mix them. I meant that you can have both meelee and bullet proof vests equipped at the same time (at the cost of 2 slots) to have protection from both elements.

Sectus

SuperEnemyCrab said:
System link is supported so I imagine some sort of tunneling app could also be an option.
That wouldn't work with xbox 360 since system link check for maximum ping. If it's above 100 or so, you'll get disconnected. Tunneling might be a solution for the PC version though if it supports LAN but online play has to go via some master server.

So I just got through 2-1 with a friend and then decided to start playing through on SP since no one on my list was online to play. It's pretty dumb that the game doesn't give Sheva stock weapons. I didn't realize this until we got to a large pack of large dogs with large teeth...She wasn't shooting or anything. I was stretched for ammo myself so having to give Sheva some was ridiculous. I had to start replaying from the beginning in SP so she could collect everything she would've had.

Not to mention I was still at almost no health when I restarted to the very first chapter. I had no ammo, so I couldn't pick up the stock gun's ammo :-/, and I had to hobble around until I found some goodies...What gives?

Top Bottom