• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Sectus

AnonymousNoob said:
B) I will be shooting an enemy, but am between Sheva and an enemy, so she proceeds to unload her clip into my back, killing me.
Wow, the AI is so bad it does things which is impossible? There is no friendly fire in the game (besides grenades). Even with Attack Reaction toggled on, bullets deal no damage to your partner.

AnonymousNoob said:
I just (Act 2-2)
made my way to the gate at the end of the dark caverns (that require Sheva to hold a lantern), spending 15-30 minutes pumping ammo into the tentacle head plagas along the way. BUT OH WAIT, Sheva gets attacked and the gate drops, separating us. I help her fend off the Maijini on the other side and we come out victorious! BUT OH WAIT, I can't pull the crank to open the gate, nor can Sheva, since I can't tell her to open the gate.
You know the gate can be opened from both sides, right? It sounds like you were on the side which you're supposed to go, which means that you are the one who were supposed to open the gate for Sheva so she can get past it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Beat it. I really enjoyed the game overall. Developers need to stop taking big dumps in my mouth with their last bosses. It leaves a bad taste and, for lesser games, bad memories. I definitely enjoyed the game. The final few hours/boss reminded me a lot of
Metal Gear
, wonder if anyone else felt that way.

The single player experience is not as tightly tuned as RE4 for sure. For the MOST part the game is pretty smooth in single player, but there are a few rough spots that really work best (only :\) with two players.

And as for why I played it in single player, it's because I wanted to.

I definitely see what they say when they say the next game will be a reboot.

edit: Developers need to learn how to do endings and final bosses.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sectus said:
Wow, the AI is so bad it does things which is impossible? There is no friendly fire in the game (besides grenades). Even with Attack Reaction toggled on, bullets deal no damage to your partner.

I killed my friend with an incendiary grenade. It was an accident.
At least that's what I told him

cvxfreak

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I actually like the save system. Because I'm exploiting it.

You don't HAVE to exploit it, either, so I'm not sure how exactly it hurts the game.

I didn't exploit the game the first runthrough, but I have no problems doing it on a second playthrough to unlock things.

TheExodu5

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Use the knife, it usually gets a stun on them if you are fast enough. Later on you get.... something better lol.

Is there a way to make the
stun stick
replace your knife, so that you don't actually need to switch to it to use it?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
TheExodu5 said:
Is there a way to make the
stun stick
replace your knife, so that you don't actually need to switch to it to use it?

Nah. I just have it mapped to right on the D-pad though so its all good.

Vitten

MiamiWesker said:
:D :D :D Chapter 5-3

The earlier sections of 5-3 were awesome but one room drove me crazy, the licker room at the entrance of the temple. Sheva again screwed everything up, oh she would make it to the door but then she would want to be near the objective even though there are five million lickers around it. This section = two garradors section in RE4. I died easily like 15 times, took about 45 minutes for me to get past it. Still a cool area, just the AI messes it up.

I had the same problem until I decided to go up there myself and let Sheva control the lift.
I tore them a new asshole with my dragunov.

Vitten said:
I had the same problem until I decided to go up there myself and let Sheva control the lift.
I tore them a new asshole with my dragunov.
I stayed up all night beating this game with a friend (PS3) version, but that room still gave us hell. Did you know that, if you try and push the big box, but are forced to retreat due to overwhelming
licker
count, going back around TRIGGERS THE SWARM AGAIN? Damnit, Capcom.

Anyways, I enjoyed it co-op, even if the splitscreen did feel a bit weird. I can definitely understand why some people hated it, though, it really did feel like you accidentally ran into Gears of War for a number of levels. And long range shooting isn't nearly as easy without the rifle as in RE4. The new inventory system can be incredibly frustrating as well, especially since a few of the features in Resident Evil 0 would have been GREATLY APPRECIATED, such as giving away specific amounts of ammo from the menu screen, instead of having to equip the ammo and...blah. Oh, and putting items down briefly. GCN does what Next-Gen can't?

That being said, when the game gets it right, it REALLY gets it right. There were some amazing setpieces and bosses, full of eye candy and cool attack patterns. I'm definitely looking forward to dicking around in Mercenaries mode a bit.

mileS

Haven't picked up the game yet but I was wondering how it handles progress/saving levels when you play online with random people or friends? What happens when somebody drops connection or just quits the game? does the AI take over or does the game just end?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
mileS said:
Haven't picked up the game yet but I was wondering how it handles progress/saving levels when you play online with random people or friends? What happens when somebody drops connection or just quits the game? does the AI take over or does the game just end?

The AI immediately takes the character over as soon as the other player exits.

madmook

Why does Sheva look like a 10-year-old girl on page 19 of the manual?
9rj0p3.jpg

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Enjoying Resi 5 so far same as I enjoyed SF4 when that came out but I wont be paying for DLC for either of them games. Capcom are really starting to take the piss now. They have possibly the 2 biggest selling games of this year and they are trying to milk them for everything already.

http://tinyurl.com/afc9az

Sectus said:

Ah, you're right. That said, she wasn't shooting the Maijini that she was supposed to be, which inadvertently led to my death.

:D

You know the gate can be opened from both sides, right? It sounds like you were on the side which you're supposed to go, which means that you are the one who were supposed to open the gate for Sheva so she can get past it.

Correct, once again. That said, I had no idea there was a crank on the other side. I cranked the door open this time and she went to the other crank to let me through.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I'm on 6-3, at what I'm sure is the final boss and I keep getting stuck.
What do I do after I push that boulder? I figured I had to jump over to it but there's no prompt to do anything. Wesker just comes up and kills me. Help please.

RocketDarkness said:
I stayed up all night beating this game with a friend (PS3) version, but that room still gave us hell. Did you know that, if you try and push the big box, but are forced to retreat due to overwhelming licker count, going back around TRIGGERS THE SWARM AGAIN? Damnit, Capcom.

Anyways, I enjoyed it co-op, even if the splitscreen did feel a bit weird. I can definitely understand why some people hated it, though, it really did feel like you accidentally ran into Gears of War for a number of levels. And long range shooting isn't nearly as easy without the rifle as in RE4. The new inventory system can be incredibly frustrating as well, especially since a few of the features in Resident Evil 0 would have been GREATLY APPRECIATED, such as giving away specific amounts of ammo from the menu screen, instead of having to equip the ammo and...blah. Oh, and putting items down briefly. GCN does what Next-Gen can't?

That being said, when the game gets it right, it REALLY gets it right. There were some amazing setpieces and bosses, full of eye candy and cool attack patterns. I'm definitely looking forward to dicking around in Mercenaries mode a bit.

Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils. Spoils.

RoboPlato said:
So I'm on 6-3, at what I'm sure is the final boss and I keep getting stuck.
What do I do after I push that boulder? I figured I had to jump over to it but there's no prompt to do anything. Wesker just comes up and kills me. Help please.

You need to shoot the glowing point on his back a few times, and he'll go after Sheva. Then you need to cover her from a distance while she's temporarily inconvenienced, at which point you'll be able to reunite.

cvxfreak

My opinion on RE5 is becoming more and more finalized as I replay the game and play through the 360 version.

I think RE4 was a (far) better experience, but RE5 is a better game. While some may find RE5 to be outdated compared to other non-RE games in the shooting genre, I find its technical merits over RE4, particular in terms of animations and aiming, to be a big leap for the series. The technical difference between RE4 and RE5 is like night and day.

To me, that's RE5's saving grace because the actual RE5 experience is nowhere near as satisfying as RE4. That's not so unsurprising, even if it required the reality check that many gamers ended up getting when RE5 couldn't meet RE4's standard in that sense. But playing back through RE4, I'd say it's only distinct advantage right now is Wii aiming controls, but even the analog stick aiming in RE5 is better than RE4's on GC/PS2/WiiCC. Having played the Outbreak games, the item menu poses only a small number of issues; Herb usage and items being discarded, rather than dropped.

One of the things I always wanted in RE4 was an MGS-style boss theater, and while RE5 doesn't quite give that, it's fun being able to play through whatever chapter you want to do, like the Outbreak games. So there are chapters in RE5 that I'll hardly ever play, but there are other chapters that I'll be playing time and time again.

I guess a weird analogy to apply would be that RE4 is a set course meal at a fancy restaurant rated 3 stars by Michelin, but RE5 is a reputable Las Vegas buffet where you can't possibly handle EVERYTHING, but will be satisfied in choosing your comfort zone.

I love RE4, but I think RE5's technical advances on its formula cannot be ignored, regardless of what other games in the shooting genre do. RE2 didn't exactly negate RE1's gameplay completely, since that was a pretty small jump compared to now. Going back into RE4, Leon's twist kicks and the Plagas in that game just don't seem as satisfying as what RE5 has to offer anymore. Still, RE4's experience is still unparalleled and will probably remain that way since RE6 is going to be a series reboot once again.

cvxfreak said:
My opinion on RE5 is becoming more and more finalized as I replay the game and play through the 360 version.

I think RE4 was a (far) better experience, but RE5 is a better game. While some may find RE5 to be outdated compared to other non-RE games in the shooting genre, I find its technical merits over RE4, particular in terms of animations and aiming, to be a big leap for the series. The technical difference between RE4 and RE5 is like night and day.

To me, that's RE5's saving grace because the actual RE5 experience is nowhere near as satisfying as RE4. That's not so unsurprising, even if it required the reality check that many gamers ended up getting when RE5 couldn't meet RE4's standard in that sense. But playing back through RE4, I'd say it's only distinct advantage right now is Wii aiming controls, but even the analog stick aiming in RE5 is better than RE4's on GC/PS2/WiiCC. Having played the Outbreak games, the item menu poses only a small number of issues; Herb usage and items being discarded, rather than dropped.

One of the things I always wanted in RE4 was an MGS-style boss theater, and while RE5 doesn't quite give that, it's fun being able to play through whatever chapter you want to do, like the Outbreak games. So there are chapters in RE5 that I'll hardly ever play, but there are other chapters that I'll be playing time and time again.

I guess a weird analogy to apply would be that RE4 is a set course meal at a fancy restaurant rated 3 stars by Michelin, but RE5 is a reputable Las Vegas buffet where you can't possibly handle EVERYTHING, but will be satisfied in choosing your comfort zone.

I love RE4, but I think RE5's technical advances on its formula cannot be ignored, regardless of what other games in the shooting genre do. RE2 didn't exactly negate RE1's gameplay completely, since that was a pretty small jump compared to now. Going back into RE4, Leon's twist kicks and the Plagas in that game just don't seem as satisfying as what RE5 has to offer anymore. Still, RE4's experience is still unparalleled and will probably remain that way since RE6 is going to be a series reboot once again.

Really? I found most of the melee attacks fairly boring compared to Leon's amazing suplex. How exactly did you feel the aiming was improved? It felt the exact same to me, except worse because the Playstation-style analog sticks suck, to me.

cvxfreak

RocketDarkness said:
Really? I found most of the melee attacks fairly boring compared to Leon's amazing suplex. How exactly did you feel the aiming was improved? It felt the exact same to me, except worse because the Playstation-style analog sticks suck, to me.

Mainly due to the ability to set the aiming to "Faster" in the options menu. It's a subjective thing to say for sure, but it's how I felt about the aiming. :)

cvxfreak said:
Mainly due to the ability to set the aiming to "Faster" in the options menu. It's a subjective thing to say for sure, but it's how I felt about the aiming. :)
Ah. Perhaps I'll try that when we tackle Mercenaries mode. I noticed it in the menu, but like I said, the PS3 analog sticks hate me, so I'd probably just be flailing all over the place. We'll see, I guess. =D

jax (old)

Banned
cvxfreak said:

of course RE5's technical advancement would mean its better in that department, it very much builds on the foundation RE4 set. That said however, the actual game is SO far removed from what makes a resident evil game - (ammo conservation/thrills) in favour of assault fest. That said, the gunplay in RE5 isn't better than 4 imo. They feel about the same to me.

* on that note, the
marsh
level in RE5 is so stupidly designed...
go to ABCD areas to collect disc elements to open door but the A->B travel bits is on that stupid boat

Sectus

Mercenaries is furiously awesome. And I love all of
Wesker's
dialogue in the mode.
"It was in your best interest to assist me!"

And darnit! Reapers *really* hate me and Rez. There must be some kind of toggle in the code which makes them more aggressive and harder to kill whenever we're in the same game.

cvxfreak

Jax said:
of course RE5's technical advancement would mean its better in that department, it very much builds on the foundation RE4 set. That said however, the actual game is SO far removed from what makes a resident evil game - (ammo conservation/thrills) in favour of assault fest. That said, the gunplay in RE5 isn't better than 4 imo. They feel about the same to me.

* on that note, the
marsh
level in RE5 is so stupidly designed...
go to ABCD areas to collect disc elements to open door but the A->B travel bits is on that stupid boat

It does seem like a very obvious thing to say, but I can safely say that this is the first time in the series where it's actually going to be a bit harder to appreciate an older game because a new one has made advances. I still can go into RE1 with a 1996 mentality (RE games are timeless in their atmosphere and quirks, not gameplay) and really enjoy the game. I can play RE2 and then go back to RE1 and enjoy myself. I can play REmake and then RE1 and still have a good time.

I will still enjoy RE4 for many years to come, but I'll appreciate it more if RE5 isn't fresh in my head.

Experience-wise, RE4 craps all over RE5. :lol RE4's vollage, castle, island, regenerators, El Gigantes, and so forth all collectively make for a better experience than RE4. If only RE5 could have been as memorable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
RocketDarkness said:
You need to shoot the glowing point on his back a few times, and he'll go after Sheva. Then you need to cover her from a distance while she's temporarily inconvenienced, at which point you'll be able to reunite.
Thanks. Just got through it. Time for
Mercenaries
!

Big-E

Is it safe to sell all of your treasure or are there some you got to combine stuff with to increase the value like in RE4. So far it doesn't seem like it but all the jems have shapes next to their names so I felt that they would need to go into something.

-Winnie-

Big-E said:
Is it safe to sell all of your treasure or are there some you got to combine stuff with to increase the value like in RE4. So far it doesn't seem like it but all the jems have shapes next to their names so I felt that they would need to go into something.

I was thinking this too, but there doesn't even seem to be an option to combine treasures, so I just sell everything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To anyone having trouble with Sheva during the final boss (or throughout any of the game, really), give her a Rifle (any will do, but preferably a semi-auto) and set her to attack during hectic situations. She's a headshot (or weak-point) manic with that thing.
Sectus said:
Mercenaries is furiously awesome. And I love all of
Wesker's
dialogue in the mode.
"It was in your best interest to assist me!"

And darnit! Reapers *really* hate me and Rez. There must be some kind of toggle in the code which makes them more aggressive and harder to kill whenever we're in the same game.
Hahaha, yeah I know, it's insane. Between the end of 6-3 and the Mines Merc level, we must have died a stupid amount of times.

Mercs with a buddy online is incredible. The difference in play styles between all the different characters, plus the awesome selection of levels (and I've only played through five of the eight levels) is fantastic.

Thanks for teaming up with me Sectus, that was my first time through all of those levels (and unlocking the subsequent characters). :)

comedian

I've almost finished the game, my problem is i haven't once been afraid.

The last resident Evil i played was RE4 and there were times i jumped bu even that was a let down compared the fear of Resident Evil 3 and 2 :<

My problem is : Too many enemies--> Too much ammo. I remember not wanting to waste a single bullet but in resident evil 5 there's always some ammo around. You start the game with communication with your HQ and a partner, which for me makes it almost impossible to be afraid, if i die she will save me , i cant be afraid when the odds arent against me .Resident Evil 3 had one the best intro's ever !

Volcynika

Hey I'm on 3-1 somewhere and Tekno is noooot around (who I played with the first part) Anyone want to play with me but not bring super over powered weapons into the fray? PS3 version. I have a mic too. This is my first time through the game, for reference.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Raide said:
I am more interested in why Chris is about to give her a knuckle sandwich? :lol

:lol

Reading that then looking at the picture slayed me. Oh man my stomach hurts. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, beat the game on Veteran and had a HELL of a time with some of the later bosses and scenarios, but it was still a crazy awesome experience.

I think it all went to hell when we fought the Exella boss, I don't know why but it was super hard. It eventually got hard to aim that satellite laser thing, and the black tentacle blobs kept hitting me. But oh man, the worst was that room with the two reapers...we took too long the first time and then the two machine gun guys spawned and it was complete chaos that eventually lead into a terrible death.

The two wesker fights will be a lot better during replays, they're really confusing the first time though.

Now I finally get into Mercs...too bad I suck. :lol

In co-op after 2-3 attempts at the first stage, I can't get above a B. I tried solo and same thing, which even though it unlocks the Mine level I have attempted twice and in both instances the FUCKING REAPER FUCKED IT UP UFHASJF:WJ.

Going back to the early levels with infinite ammo on Amateur is always fun, I killed a Majini with a Rotten Egg now. :lol

Loxley

So, imagine my surprise when I found out that you can't buy two of the same item. I just spent 10,000 g's on a second melee vest thinking that in some crazy universe I could give one to Sheva. Nope >:[ I bought it, and still only had one in my inventory.

I *could* blame myself, but come on, there should be some sort of prompt saying "Uh, you already have this, 'fraid you can't buy another one." RE4 completely prevented you from even trying to buy something you already purchased. But here, there's no way of telling that the game can only allow you to carry one of each store-bought item at a time, unless I missed something.

Aside from pissing me off by wasting a could chunk of change, I've been enjoying the game a lot.

*Edit:

Nevermind, I'm a moron :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loxley said:
So, imagine my surprise when I found out that you can't buy two of the same item. I just spent 10,000 g's on a second melee vest thinking that in some crazy universe I could give one to Sheva. Nope >:[ I bought it, and still only had one in my inventory.

I *could* blame myself, but come on, there should be some sort of prompt saying "Uh, you already have this, 'fraid you can't buy another one."

Aside from pissing me off by wasting a could chunk of change, I've been enjoying the game a lot.
It's in your safe, not on your character. Or visa versa. I have bought two...

Solsc

I have a question:
I was playing with a friend yesterday on split screen and to day I turn the game on to play by my self but the girl (for got her name) has no weapons, ammo, or first aid. It seems the only way to give her stuff would to be to buy new things which does not sound right to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Solsc said:
I have a question:
I was playing with a friend yesterday on split screen and to day I turn the game on to play by my self but the girl (for got her name) has no weapons, ammo, or first aid. It seems the only way to give her stuff would to be to buy new things which does not sound right to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

If you were only playing with your friend, all the items that he/she collected on Sheva/Chris are on his "save file". Basically, your Sheva will have nothing. You might want to run through the first few leels to get her the pistol/shotgun/whatever.

BTW, Mercs=Awesome tenseness. Anyone know what the S-rank cutoff is?

Top Bottom