• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sectus said:
Just about all games on xbox live are "p2p" but they all also rely on xbox live for matchmaking. If xbox live is shut down in 10 years or whatever, you cant play any xbox 360 games online anymore (even though your own connection is what would host any game).

PC version would be the perfect solution to this. As long as Capcom are smart enough to add direct ip support.
I would like a PC version for similiar reasons but also because I know the dedicated RE mod community could probably fix the broken inventory and save game mechanics.

Undubbed

I just got done buying RE5 from gamestop, then I come home hoping to play it. I took out the av plugs for my gamecube and tried to put the PS3 ones in and I put the red one in the and it just suddently let out a spark! It killed my TV and I think it may have killed my PS3 also. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sure it was because the TV was on but I'm also sure I've changed av plugs while the tv was on many times. Also the tv is kinda old and there's another I can play on so I'm not too mad about the tv but now I'm god damn depressed.

Now I gotta wait til monday for the sony technical people to be on the job :(

BeeDog

Undubbed said:
I just got done buying RE5 from gamestop, then I come home hoping to play it. I took out the av plugs for my gamecube and tried to put the PS3 ones in and I put the red one in the and it just suddently let out a spark! It killed my TV and I think it may have killed my PS3 also. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sure it was because the TV was on but I'm also sure I've changed av plugs while the tv was on many times. Also the tv is kinda old and there's another I can play on so I'm not too mad about the tv but now I'm god damn depressed.

Now I gotta wait til monday for the sony technical people to be on the job :(

Wow, that's some seriously bad luck. :/

The dlc in Japan costs 150points/250Yen.....

2lqkww.gif

Got done with this last night in one straight run of co-op with a friend at about 4 AM. I went in with pretty negative impressions from the demo, and left feeling that my purchase was justified.

It's not as great as RE4, but overall it's a pretty fun game.

Fantastical said:
This game is awesome! :D
My friend and I played a lot of this last night and we had a blast. The co-op works great for the game. This isn't really a spoiler but I'm going to spoiler tag it anyway... but
can you not combine treasures to create better treasures like in 4?

Nope. One of the things I missed. I was saving my treasures to try and combine them, and halfway through the game, I just said fuck it, and sold all of it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Bought this last night, and i STILL am yet to play it.... I wont be able to play until tomorrow sometime, as im completely busy tonite too!!!!! Pity me....

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Shaheed79 said:
I would like a PC version for similiar reasons but also because I know the dedicated RE mod community could probably fix the broken inventory and save game mechanics.

Whats so broken about the inventory system?

Someone else here missing the QTE?

I mean, did I miss something or is there only ONE real QTE in the game (right at the start when these guys with the motorcycles show up)? It's like Capcom tried to copy RE4 as much as possible in the first hours, but then screwed it and went their owe direction - and with that totally forgot about the QTE....

PS: I just started with the final chapter and will call it a day now, because hte first image of the last chapter extremly reminded me on the beginning of another game: CoD4.... It's like the morons from Capcom tried to copy every single of the recent shooters. Pathetic...

BeeDog

TheExorzist said:

I mean, did I miss something or is there only ONE real QTE in the game (right at the start when these guys with the motorcycles show up)? It's like Capcom tried to copy RE4 as much as possible in the first hours, but then screwed it and went their owe direction - and with that totally forgot about the QTE....

Yeah, you miss all the half-hour long (not really) QTE's near the end.

TheExorzist said:

Trust me, you'll hate the QTE it has by the end. I was mashing a button as fast as I could for about 30 minutes, and my arm felt like it was gonna fall off.

KilgoreTrout said:
Trust me, you'll hate the QTE it has by the end. I was mashing a button as fast as I could for about 30 minutes, and my arm felt like it was gonna fall off.
I know how that feels. I played MGS4. ;-)

Really liking the Co-op element of this game, and I can't really understand the complains on Sheva's AI.

So far I am disappointed with the pace of the game and the boss fights! My God, RE4 has some of the best in VG history and I am on chapter 4 and none of the boss fights even compare to does of RE4.

TheExorzist said:
I know how that feels. I played MGS4. ;-)
Just don't be Sheva, and you'll be fine.

I completely forgot about the mashing in MGS4, but it's a lot worse than the microwave scene (if that's what you're talking about).

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
_tetsuo_ said:
You crazy, mayne

Perhaps I am, but I prefer to get rid of everything asap so I can upgrade or buy weapons rather than play treasure hunter and jeweler. At least I had the option then, so it didn't change the way I felt about the game, I just thought it was annoying.

seat

Just got done with my first play-through.

Not a bad game, but is there any chance Mikami will return to the series? I miss, y'know, Resident Evil. Not whatever this game is.

Ridli

So far, this game delivers in many, many ways. I was going to pass on this game since I still have a lot of stuff on my plate but I'm really glad I didn't. Me and a buddy have been playing co-op all morning, and we're just now starting to get into our groove, but I'm having a blast.

I kind of wish the game would have had a "These are the changes from RE4" section in the manual though. I kept trying to combine 3 green herbs and I've been sitting on all these tiny jewels for a while now instead of selling them because I figured you'd be able to combine them later. I could have been upgrading so much more.

I've been trying to search the forums but nothing has come up yet, what kind of persistency does your save game carry? Like right now I have a game that I started which has my upgraded pistol and shotgun. If I decide to join someone else's game do my upgrades carry over? What if we start over on a new difficulty? If I wanted to could I re-run chapters over and over to collect treasures/money and upgrade? Any info would be appreciated.

george_us

The changes made don't seem to actually help improve the game in any way. The inventory system is cumbersome as hell and Sheva doesn't add anything to the game (if you're not playing on co-op). I also miss the yellow herbs from 4. Just some of the changes Capcom made are absolutely baffling.

Y2Kev said:
Sheva's AI is truly atrocious. Like, horrible.

How so? She has not died at all (I'm on Ch.4 now) and her "attack" behavior is good enough. Nothing nearly atrocious in my opinion.

My main complain so far is the boring and unoriginal Bosses, even the guys with the chainsaws are far more entertaining.

Pein

Banned
lat boss is shit, I ran out of ammo because it doesn't fucking die

ScissorHands said:
How so? She has not died at all (I'm on Ch.4 now) and her "attack" behavior is good enough. Nothing nearly atrocious in my opinion.
Yeah she does her job ok, haven't had any real problems with the AI except it runs through ammo fast

Davey Cakes

AnnSwag said:
Should I get the game on the PS3 or the Xbox 360?
I'd go with the X360 most certainly.

If you just own a PS3, then it's not like you're losing that much, since most of its issues are overblown. But, if you own both consoles, X360 is the best choice for multiplatform games 99% of the time anyway. That's no different with RE5.

Phntmbanana

Neo Member
Played a few levels of co-op with a friend today...and even with a big TV the way the screen splits its really annoying, but other than that its a lot of fun...thinking about picking this up soon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
beelzebozo said:
folks playing single player who were massive re4 fans:

enjoying it?
The game as a single player experience is not as good as RE4, or at the very least, feels very different from RE4. If you're going to play the game, go in knowing that, and adjust your expectations according. However, if you find a friend to play with, chances are you will find the experience, while still dramatically different from RE4, to be as enjoyable as RE4 in its own right, and much more replayable. The game is, basically, a worthy successor to RE4.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Rash said:
I'd go with the X360 most certainly.

If you just own a PS3, then it's not like you're losing that much, since most of its issues are overblown. But, if you own both consoles, X360 is the best choice for multiplatform games 99% of the time anyway. That's no different with RE5.

I own both systems and will be getting it on the 360. Thanks to Rash.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ScissorHands said:

My main complain so far is the boring and unoriginal Bosses, even the guys with the chainsaws are far more entertaining.
She needs near constant babysitting and she never does what you want her to when it actually comes down to it. She's basically useless for the last two chapters because she can't be trusted with precious ammo.

:D :D :D Chapter 5-3

After 13 years the moment has finally come, a Wesker boss fight. And I loved it!! He stands there and adjusts his hair, :lol: so perfect. The way to defeat him makes sense, no chance in going head to head, so you got to surprise him. Having Jill around makes it even more interesting. The issue is Sheva's AI is STUPID at this point. She runs off and gets killed by Jill all the time, finally I managed to beat Wesker (and get the trophy for him). So cinematic, so awesome, I love the different QTE moments.

And then the battle after, the music, the emotion, everything about it so great. I went ahead and read Jill's file afterwards, tons and tons of new virus info, it adds a lot to the storyline.

The earlier sections of 5-3 were awesome but one room drove me crazy, the licker room at the entrance of the temple. Sheva again screwed everything up, oh she would make it to the door but then she would want to be near the objective even though there are five million lickers around it. This section = two garradors section in RE4. I died easily like 15 times, took about 45 minutes for me to get past it. Still a cool area, just the AI messes it up.

AnnSwag said:
Should I get the game on the PS3 or the Xbox 360?
Got it on PS3 and regret not getting it for 360. It requires a 5 gig install...

That, and there are a bunch of little bugs that freeze up your game (i.e. charging your dying bluetooth headset).

tass0

Banned
Duck Amuck said:
How the fuck do I beat the boss on 5-2? This shitty thing won't DIE.

The boss in that
gigantic pod
room? You keep
shooting it's tentacles (the vunerable parts) and the middle part (his eye or something) until he gets hurt and falls down to rest, then you run up to him while he's down and toss a grenade in his mouth, repeat this process until he dies

Pein said:
lat boss is shit, I ran out of ammo because it doesn't fucking die
Yea, I had a similar problem, seriously pissed me off to no end. Tip:
Just get behind him after he does the super spin attack with all the tentacles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
She needs near constant babysitting and she never does what you want her to when it actually comes down to it. She's basically useless for the last two chapters because she can't be trusted with precious ammo.
Mmm, and she makes some of the more challenging rooms where you need to split up very complicated.

Why are you playing with the AI though? Invite someone to your game, or leave it open, and play with someone else.

This game probably has the worst buddy AI next to Killzone 2. There is usually a fifty-percent chance that either:

A) I will be shooting an enemy and Sheva walks into my line of fire, preventing me from killing an enemy and wasting ammo.

B) I will be shooting an enemy, but am between Sheva and an enemy, so she proceeds to unload her clip into my back, killing me.

Not to mention the AI's habit of either running ahead of me or by my side. Is it so hard to make it so that she covers me when in cover mode, by perhaps falling back and not shooting me?

Is it that hard, Capcom?

Is it?

I just (Act 2-2)
made my way to the gate at the end of the dark caverns (that require Sheva to hold a lantern), spending 15-30 minutes pumping ammo into the tentacle head plagas along the way. BUT OH WAIT, Sheva gets attacked and the gate drops, separating us. I help her fend off the Maijini on the other side and we come out victorious! BUT OH WAIT, I can't pull the crank to open the gate, nor can Sheva, since I can't tell her to open the gate.

BACK TO THE CHECKPOINT, AGAIN.

Man, FFFF this game.

Got my brother to play coop with me. We're enjoying it so far. My biggest gripe is still with the controls. I really hate when an enemy runs right up to you and all I want is to melee them away but I can't.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AnonymousNoob said:
This game probably has the worst buddy AI next to Killzone 2. There is usually a fifty-percent chance that either:

A) I will be shooting an enemy and Sheva walks into my line of fire, preventing me from killing an enemy and wasting ammo.

B) I will be shooting an enemy, but am between Sheva and an enemy, so she proceeds to unload her clip into my back, killing me.

Not to mention the AI's habit of either running ahead of me or by my side. Is it so hard to make it so that she covers me when in cover mode, by perhaps falling back and not shooting me?

Is it that hard, Capcom?

Is it?

I just (Act 2-2)
made my way to the gate at the end of the dark caverns (that require Sheva to hold a lantern), spending 15-30 minutes pumping ammo into the tentacle head plagas along the way. BUT OH WAIT, Sheva gets attacked and the gate drops, separating us. I help her fend off the Maijini on the other side and we come out victorious! BUT OH WAIT, I can't pull the crank to open the gate, nor can Sheva, since I can't tell her to open the gate.

BACK TO THE CHECKPOINT, AGAIN.

Man, FFFF this game.
Why are you playing with friendly fire on? 0_o

Dead

well not really...yet
The AI never gave me any problems....always did what it was supposed to...

tass0 said:
The boss in that
gigantic pod
room? You keep
shooting it's tentacles (the vunerable parts) and the middle part (his eye or something) until he gets hurt and falls down to rest, then you run up to him while he's down and toss a grenade in his mouth, repeat this process until he dies
You didn't use the flamethrower?

That boss fight was amazing, if only for the flame thrower effects. Badass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
You didn't use the flamethrower?

That boss fight was amazing, if only for the flame thrower effects. Badass.
I think they're talking about the boss with the
giant spider like thing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Got my brother to play coop with me. We're enjoying it so far. My biggest gripe is still with the controls. I really hate when an enemy runs right up to you and all I want is to melee them away but I can't.

Use the knife, it usually gets a stun on them if you are fast enough. Later on you get.... something better lol.

Top Bottom