• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Awesome game with a lot of really awful ideas plaguing it. If I had to rank it within the main Resident Evil series, I would say it's in the bottom half with 3 and Zero. Kinda says more about how high quality games like RE4 and RE2 are (imo) that even a great game like this doesn't compare. But hey, it's the second best of the two new style Resident Evil games. And Mercs mode is still probably going to be awesome

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jesus Christ. Sheva's A.I. must be unbearable on Veteran. Currently on Chapter 6 (Normal) and the dumb bitch keeps picking fights with those
1 hit kill bugs

I OWE YOU ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most worthless A.I. partner ever.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Papercuts said:
or hell, A rank? What do you need to unlock new characters anyway?

Far as I can tell, above 20k is B rank, which
unlocks the new stage

A rank is above 40 k, and that
unlocks new characters. <3 Jill and Stars Chris ammo layouts

jmdajr

Having a TON of fun playing co-op.

Also, the fact that I have not played a single traditional/current 1st person/ 3rd person game in over a month thanks to SF4 has made the controls feel... well... not so bad!

I'm glad I gave this game a chance despite my low expectations from the demo.

Finished up through Chapter 2-3 with my brother last night. Enjoying this as a co-op experience where I could enjoy it as a single player. Still hoping for a more single player oriented variation in later DLC.

Thought the bearded El Gigante type boss in 2-3 was pale in comparison to his RE4 counterpart.

I like that the Chainsaw Majini sometimes (seemingly randomly) comes back to life. He did this after my brother and I completely routed him the first go through on normal - no new game+ or veteran. The second attempt a few minutes later we weren't playing as well, and he didn't come back. I'm unsure if this was a case of our awesomeness being a trigger, or if he randomly plays possum.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate the weapon names. You know, RE4 was great because like, "Blacktail," "Punisher," and "Red9," were so distinctive and stuff. You knew what you were using. Now it's like real names-- M543ei or something. I have no idea what I'm using.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Metroidvania said:
Far as I can tell, above 20k is B rank, which
unlocks the new stage

A rank is above 40 k, and that
unlocks new characters. <3 Jill and Stars Chris ammo layouts

Does it vary by each level? Co-op I had 76K or so and it was still a B, guess it doubles?

Chinner said:
Can anoyone cofirm whether or not you have to start pro mode with new weapons or you can use your current equipment?

I tested and you can use your current equipment, even with infinite ammo if you have it.

Y2Kev

Chiggs said:
Jesus Christ. Sheva's A.I. must be unbearable on Veteran. Currently on Chapter 6 (Normal) and the dumb bitch keeps picking fights with those
1 hit kill bugs

I OWE YOU ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most worthless A.I. partner ever.
The
bugs
are the worst RE enemy in a long time....miss a shot and 1 hit kill. And on top of that, they're
bugs. which are stupid.

Sheva (and I) died like 15x on 6-3 dealing with the two of them that spawn. I simply started laying prox mines...

Papercuts

Y2Kev said:
The
bugs
are the worst RE enemy in a long time....miss a shot and 1 hit kill. And on top of that, they're
bugs. which are stupid.

Sheva (and I) died like 15x on 6-3 dealing with the two of them that spawn. I simply started laying prox mines...

I was close to literally shitting myself when that showed up in Mercs, hope it's only on that one level. :lol

Metroidvania

Papercuts said:
Does it vary by each level? Co-op I had 76K or so and it was still a B, guess it doubles?

I asked that earlier, and didn't see an answer posted, but would imagine that it would indeed double for co-op, at least, based on your experience. No one on my friends list has gotten as far as I have.

Agreed. And their 1-hit kill "connect" radius is huge. Combine that with their weak spot not taking hits from a shotgun well, and...ugh.

Davey Cakes

Y2Kev said:
I hate the weapon names. You know, RE4 was great because like, "Blacktail," "Punisher," and "Red9," were so distinctive and stuff. You knew what you were using. Now it's like real names-- M543ei or something. I have no idea what I'm using.
Yeah, I can agree with this. Loved the weapon names in RE4.

bmf said:
I like that the Chainsaw Majini sometimes (seemingly randomly) comes back to life. He did this after my brother and I completely routed him the first go through on normal - no new game+ or veteran. The second attempt a few minutes later we weren't playing as well, and he didn't come back. I'm unsure if this was a case of our awesomeness being a trigger, or if he randomly plays possum.

Same thing happened to me when I played with my brother online. He just pops up and goes absolutely nuts. Neither one of us had seen that before so we didn't know what the hell to do :lol

Shouta

Played until 3am last night. Woo I'm doing pretty well with the AI Sheva so far. I've limited her choice of weapons to the ones I thought she does the best (Rifle/SMG) and it seems to work well. I handle all the crowd control weapons, Shotty, explosives, etc. I really need to play this co-op though. :lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
been gone all day and just saw all the kind folks who so extensively answered my question a few pages back. i'll be picking it up tomorrow.

thanks!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Y2Kev said:

You'd rather have fake names? I know most of them by real world names so it helps me.

any help with this boss fight in chapter 5

its the wesker and jill fight, I dont know how to beat them, I know im not supposed to go after jill but wesker dodges all my bullets, not sure what the strat is to beat him.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Same thing happened to me when I played with my brother online. He just pops up and goes absolutely nuts. Neither one of us had seen that before so we didn't know what the hell to do :lol
Panic didn't work well for us. When we complete the game, the plan is to try and go through on veteran. I'll have to urge him to not pick up the item but route the rest of the majini first, hopefully giving us a clear shot at the fucker if it happens again.

Thanks Sheva! For shooting an explosive barrel that was right infront of me when there were absolutely no enemies nearby. Idiot. She did this right after we beat the chapter 2
chainsaw
guy. So I had to do it all over again.

AND STOP PICKING UP ALL THE FUCKING AMMO! Let me pick it up and do what I see fit with it. I hate babysitting this bitch. Loving the game though. :D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
cvxfreak said:
It does seem like a very obvious thing to say, but I can safely say that this is the first time in the series where it's actually going to be a bit harder to appreciate an older game because a new one has made advances. I still can go into RE1 with a 1996 mentality (RE games are timeless in their atmosphere and quirks, not gameplay) and really enjoy the game. I can play RE2 and then go back to RE1 and enjoy myself. I can play REmake and then RE1 and still have a good time.

I will still enjoy RE4 for many years to come, but I'll appreciate it more if RE5 isn't fresh in my head.

Experience-wise, RE4 craps all over RE5. :lol RE4's vollage, castle, island, regenerators, El Gigantes, and so forth all collectively make for a better experience than RE4. If only RE5 could have been as memorable.
I don't know CVX I booted up RE4 PC for a few castle levels while my friend took a dinner break and I feel right at home just that fast. Imo it's the other way around. RE5 is harder to play if RE4 is fresh off of your mind. Especially the upgraded PC version with the high res texture pack and mouse hack.

GhostRidah said:

its the wesker and jill fight, I dont know how to beat them, I know im not supposed to go after jill but wesker dodges all my bullets, not sure what the strat is to beat him.

You need to have the character he's not following shoot him in the back.

haha. I was fighting the first boss,
tried to get him into the furnace, he got out before the door closed, then when I tried to get away from him, and accidently went into the furnace myself... and died.. cracked me up.

Chiggs

Gold Member
criesofthepast said:
Thanks Sheva! For shooting an explosive barrel that was right infront of me when there were absolutely no enemies nearby. Idiot. She did this right after we beat the chapter 2
chainsaw
guy. So I had to do it all over again.

AND STOP PICKING UP ALL THE FUCKING AMMO! Let me pick it up and do what I see fit with it. I hate babysitting this bitch. Loving the game though. :D

:lol

It's so maddening and yet I find myself laughing...even when she does shit like that to me.

BeeDog

Immediately started replaying the game on Easy, and dare I say it's even more fun this time around pwning enemies left and right. Gonna harvest ammo, money and treasures to unlock trophies and to unlock infinite ammo and so on. Fun fun fun!

Y2Kev

Chiggs said:
:lol

It's so maddening and yet I find myself laughing...even when she does shit like that to me.
It's because she's just so shitty and stupid that you can't help but love her. Why is it that when she heals herself-- when I'm not even near her-- she asks me if I'm okay in her pensive, inquisitive tone? Why does she yell at me to be careful when she has no health and I have full health? Why does she punctuate, "I need help," as if help was its own sentence? Why does she confirm every major story event exactly after it happens?

Bad guy: MUHAUHAUHA I AM USING X TO DO Y MUHUHAUHA

Sheva: Chris, do you think that they could be using X to do Y?

And instead of Chris telling Sheva to shut the fuck up and get him a cold drink, he never positively confirms her suspicions as if he doesn't know himself. After this game I am 100% sure that Chris is a retard. He's the only one in the freaking world that didn't know exactly who
Duckwoman
was, and he never pieces shit together. Big meathead.

Back to Sheva. "Oh dear me, look at that new beast!" right after a new monster pops up. "Chris, we should be quiet here. LOOOK OUUUUUUT," she screams, before she loudly kicks in a new door. "THANKS PAHTNAH," she says, before she wastes the shotgun rounds I gave her firing six times into a downed majini.

Oh, yes, Sheva, we truly can confirm that you do in fact need

HELLLLP

btw, should I have found the shotgun by now? (at first boss atm, w/
the furnace
) I rememer having a shotgun in some of these areas in the demo. hope I didnt miss it.

BeeDog

HorribleJames said:
the furnace
) I rememer having a shotgun in some of these areas in the demo. hope I didnt miss it.

Yes, you should have had it. It was in the building
opposite the one where you meet the blonde chick that's transformed. The first time you can do an action jump with Sheva (when the camera pans), you'll see a key up there. Then do an action jump on the second broken ladder and Sheva will get the key that opens the door to the shotgun-building.

Papercuts

HorribleJames said:
the furnace

Yeah,
near the building the blonde girl was dragged earlier, there was another building to unlock with a key which held a shotgun.

Beaten with a better explanation, lol.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
It's because she's just so shitty and stupid that you can't help but love her. Why is it that when she heals herself-- when I'm not even near her-- she asks me if I'm okay in her pensive, inquisitive tone? Why does she yell at me to be careful when she has no health and I have full health? Why does she punctuate, "I need help," as if help was its own sentence? Why does she confirm every major story event exactly after it happens?

And instead of Chris telling Sheva to shut the fuck up and get him a cold drink, he never positively confirms her suspicions as if he doesn't know himself. After this game I am 100% sure that Chris is a retard. He's the only one in the freaking world that didn't know exactly who
Duckwoman

Back to Sheva. "Oh dear me, look at that new beast!" right after a new monster pops up. "Chris, we should be quiet here. LOOOK OUUUUUUT," she screams, before she loudly kicks in a new door. "THANKS PAHTNAH," she says, before she wastes the shotgun rounds I gave her firing six times into a downed majini.

HELLLLP

:lol :lol :lol

Great post.

I found magnums/rifles work best on the reapers, get a clear shot when their chest parasite is exposed and they'll go down no problem.

However I'm beyond awful at mercs, does anyone have any tips?

tass0

Banned
GhostRidah said:

Try shoot him a bit and then whoever plays Chris should go next to the locked door and Wesker follow him, Wesker will kick Chris through the door. Now, you play a little game of hide and seek. Run around until Wesker loses you (make sure Jill doesn't find you either) and take cover behind a wall, once you see Wesker, pop out and start blasting, repeat process until his time is up

Metroidvania

Spirit of Jazz said:
However I'm beyond awful at mercs, does anyone have any tips?

Keep the combo going at all costs.

Besides the obvious getting all the time you think you need (be careful, tho, as at least from my experience on certain maps, stronger enemies start coming out) use the combo + hourglass thingie.

However, wait until the combo meter is flashing to finish an enemy unless there are more in the area, or you risk your combo meter running out, and losing your bonus. Beyond that, try to avoid headshots too much, or you'll spawn the freaky ones.

Use your melee as a crowd control to knock back other enemies, you're also invincible in most instances while using it, especially the stomp/impale/etc.

Uuugggggghh. More people on my friends list need to get this game. I've been forced to use the let random people join option. Only person who found all night was this little kid who had no idea what they were doing or what game this even was...Parents why do you let your kids play online at seven years old?! I could've been some random guy who would just started cussing. Fortunately he bailed as soon as the chapter ended. Which brings me to my next question...

Sheva. When that kid joined he had MY Sheva, who had Zero ammo on everything because we'd just encountered a boss and she unloaded everything. I thought players came in with their own gear? Because the other day when my friend and I started co-op from the beginning and he stock piled on ammo and weapons and I went back to play it on singleplayer my AI Sheva had nothing. What gives?

BeeDog said:
Yes, you should have had it. It was in the building
opposite the one where you meet the blonde chick that's transformed. The first time you can do an action jump with Sheva (when the camera pans), you'll see a key up there. Then do an action jump on the second broken ladder and Sheva will get the key that opens the door to the shotgun-building.

ok, do I have to start over, or can I get back there again?

Finished. :D As a RE fan from the very beginning, as a huge Wesker fan, I 100% approve of this game and its finale. I am so in love with this game right now. Is it better than RE4, I cant say that cause RE4 was so amazing when it came out cause there was nothing like it, plus I think the entire experience was solid from beginning to end where this game had some off spots. But the last half of this game has me questioning whether RE5 is more fun to play, or has better boss fights, or is just more exciting than RE4.

End game spoilers

Lets go back to the start of chapter 6, I actually didn't care much for certain sections in the ship, it relied to much on the gun enemies and not on awesome environmental setpieces like the last few chapters were doing. Still some great moments. Thankfully the last bosses of this game are as amazing and epic as I have seen in any game.

Excella's transformation, has there ever been anything that big in any RE game. The way to beat it is awesome, giant death star lazer, one of the best bosses in the game.

Then Wesker, I dont know what people were complaining about, I think the final battles lived up to the hype. My personal favorite part was when he was in his human form and you got to shoot out the lights, grab a rocket launcher, shoot it at him AND HE CATCHES IT!!! Blow it up in his face and try to inject him. The QTE fight in the plane, some of the best videogame cutscene fighting I have ever seen, gives MGS a run for its money.

Then it ends on freaking Mustafar!!! Obi-wan vs. Anakin and now Chris vs. Wesker, does it get any more perfect, NO. I could hear the Battle of Heroes song playing as I fought Wesker. His final form is a bit idioic, but better than a giant blob thing, I loved the lead up to the final battle spot, very cinematic. The actual final fight was easy, Sheva would never get hurt and if I ever went into dying she would get me all the time, it was like impossible to die. My first try I totally ran out of ammo, I was knifing him but it was taking so long that I killed myself. The next time I brough loads of ammo but still hard to take him down. Thats when I notcied he has a glowing spot on his back, OHHH, I thought you had to hit him with weapons until his front opened. A bit too simple for me, he only has a few attacks and his weakspot is so simple, thankfully everything leading up to it was ace.

And it ends with not one but two rockets, fitting. So is leaving in a helicopter, its come full circle.

As for the story, not sure what to think of all the plot twists they added, so now Wesker was a test subject all along. Spencer's plan was to create a super race. Ok. I am not upset cause now I know there are a bunch of other Weskers running around out there. YES! I wonder if we will ever meet Alex Wesker, the man who started it all. The Wesker line lives on, though none will ever come close to the man himself. Unless they cloned him.

Time to try Mercenaries and jump right back into the next playthrough. So much to find and unlock.

BeeDog

Well if you're already past the boss, you will have to restart the chapter again I think. Didn't the shotgun get unlocked in the store? If not, then you'll have to restart the whole chapter (and since it's so easy, shouldn't take too long).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Duckwoman

HELLLLP

Lmao made my day :lol

xfactor

Banned
AnonymousNoob said:
Ah, you're right. That said, she wasn't shooting the Maijini that she was supposed to be, which inadvertently led to my death.

:D

Correct, once again. That said, I had no idea there was a crank on the other side. I cranked the door open this time and she went to the other crank to let me through.

That's because you are blocking her view..

In the AI world, Sheva's probably complaining in a forum about how human Chris sucks. "Look I'm shooting at the Majini and Chris is blocking me!"

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm on 4-1 and this game just keeps getting better. Wish I was still playing it with my friend though. Split screen was really great.

TL4E

It felt sacrilegious to play co-op in RE with an actual person first time through, yet in retrospect I feel that was a bad way to de-virginize this game. :(

Anyway, it is RE 4.5 HD, and I'm completely fine with that. I want to go solo again in RE6. It just feels 'right' to play without a broken-record partner plodding behind you the entire time. Splitting up with your team a la RE1 + 2 and meeting up with them along the way from time to time only to part ways once more gives RE its charm.

Oh and my final completion time was 15 hours 45 minutes, that was by the game clock, I think it was more like 17 hours. I guess its shorter than RE4 but it took me just as long to finish this game, it doesn't really feel that much shorter. Anyone worring about length doesn't need to worry.

mattso

burst pistol is my new favorite weapon. maxed out the upgrades and it's just a beast. It's like a super powerful machine gun.

Top Bottom