• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

I wander if people realize that Brock is the same type of match up people were crying for when Fedor was in Pride and people wanted Rulon Gardner to fight him.

Boogie

charsace said:
Why does everyone want to see GSP vs Anderson? I think Anderson would destroy him. Notice I said destroy and not just win, defeat or beat.

I don't believe that there is a single challenge on the horizon for GSP at WW within the next two years. He might as well move up to challenge Silva at MW.

And, imo, he'll put up a better fight than Marquardt or Hendo, simply by virtue of his disciplined gameplans.

Rorschach said:
If by some crazy chance it happened and by some even crazier chance, Brock won, would you nuke the OT from existence?

There is but one constant in this universe. One constant by which we can all dedicate our lives by. And that is that Fedor Emelianenko is the baddest man on the planet, and that he shall not lose an MMA fight unless by some absurd, ridiculous circumstance.

I must, then, respectfully request that you cease your blasphemous thoughts.

edit: Finally watching some press conference videos. The fact that the very first words out of Lesnar is an apology should shut the Brock cheerleaders up. Again, as I said, Dana is the gawdamned Godfather of this racket, and he doesn't fucking appreciate his fighters, no matter who they fucking are, badmouthing his most hard-earned sponsor.

Choke on it, Kang.

charsace said:
I wander if people realize that Brock is the same type of match up people were crying for when Fedor was in Pride and people wanted Rulon Gardner to fight him.

Umm,.........what?

I certainly don't recall one fucking person calling for Fedor to fight Gardner. Nobody saw Gardner as REMOTELY a legitimate threat to Fedor, certainly not when all Gardner managed to accomplish was a 1-0 record against Hidehiko Yoshida.

Boogie

bishoptl said:
Point taken Boogie, stand down.

Ummm....

To be honest, I'm not sure which point that is, since I've been all over the map tonight, though I suppose I would have a good guess if I had to...

edit: just watched the post-fight presser of Lesnar. If that's not the face of someone who was just bitch-slapped by the Godfather, I don't know what is...

charsace

Boogie said:
I certainly don't recall one fucking person calling for Fedor to fight Gardner. Nobody saw Gardner as REMOTELY a legitimate threat to Fedor, certainly not when all Gardner managed to accomplish was a 1-0 record against Hidehiko Yoshida.
I do. There were a lot of threads on sherdog about how Gardner was a good match up for Fedor.

Ryck

I don't get the Gsp love... someone earlier said his fights were entertaining.. what is entertaining about a guy leaning on another guy for 5 rounds. I mean yeah he tried to stand a bit more in this one than against Bj but everytime he got in trouble he'd go straight back to leaning and sitting on Alves... boring as fuck.. and he has been ever since Serra knocked him the fuck out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ryck said:
I don't get the Gsp love... someone earlier said his fights were entertaining.. what is entertaining about a guy leaning on another guy for 5 rounds. I mean yeah he tried to stand a bit more in this one than against Bj but everytime he got in trouble he'd go straight back to leaning and sitting on Alves... boring as fuck.. and he has been ever since Serra knocked him the fuck out.

This wasn't 5 rounds of lay and pray. Every time GSP tried to pass to side control Thiago exploded back to his feet, couldn't do much about it except take him back down again (spectacularly). He got some good shots in with standing combos and some ground strikes when he could, and clearly outdamaged him by far. If not for the groin pull GSP may have been able to do more in rounds 4 and 5; I had expected Thiago's explosive ground escapes to lose steam around that time, but since GSP had to play more defensively after the injury he didn't have much of an opportunity to finish.

DD-11

Ryck said:

Sadly, this appears to be true. I also don't really think of him as a great game planner. He has one game plan, and we've seen it in every fight since he got KOd. He stays well out of range, throws a jabs, a spinning back kick and floats out of range until his opponent misses a strike allowing him to get a take down. It takes great athleticism to do this, but that doesn't make it interesting.

Being canadian, I really want him to win, but I don't get much joy out of watching his fights. He's great at what he does, but it's pretty boring.

Awesome fights tonight! Weird ordering of them though, wasn't expecting a gap between GSP and Lesnar. Wish I would've gotten to see the Jon Jones fight though.

Overall, all my picks won :D Lesnar is a beast. I don't know how anybody is going to beat him outside of a lucky win like that previous Mir fight. At the party I was at, everyone was laughing at Brock's post-fight interview, that shit was hilarious. Very candid, you could tell Dana wasn't going to be happy but it seemed like he was really caught up in the moment and I think it's pretty much instinct for him to play the hell and taunt his opponents and the crowd.

That Coors Light/Bud Light comment followed by the wife comment... :lol

GSP is incredible. Pulled groin and he still conquers. Just amazing. I'm not entirely sure what he's supposed to do now... I know people want him to take on Silva, and maybe he will... Really I just want somebody to take Silva down. Hate that guy.

I think Akiyama got lucky with that fight. I wasn't surprised at the split decision or his victory, but it definitely wasn't a convincing win at all. I want a GIF of the moment when he taunted Belcher to hit him, and Belcher punched him right in the face :lol Anyway I don't think Sexyama is going to be modeling for a bit.

And what to say about Henderson except DAMN. What a punch.

Also... boogie, you need to chill the fuck out

thefro

14m88sn.gif

Awesome heeling from Lesnar

And for what it's worth I'll stick by my statement at the moment that Fedor will never fight in the UFC. There is just too much vested interest in keeping the status quo for both sides. The more Fedor stays outside the UFC the more drawing power he has on his own. And the UFC doesn't really need him to sell PPV's although of course having his name would be a good thing.

Both sides are just too scared of the other side and of being screwed and used by the other. This is beyond just letting Fedor fight in Sambo. There are larger contractual and money issues at stake here especially since Fedor won't ever really be a "UFC guy". He's made his mark by being the anti-UFC guy.

To use a completely inappropriate wrestling analogy he is the Sting of MMA.

Asbel

Ryck said:
When you lean on someone, you don't make them quit after 4 rounds or would their face look like dog meat after the fight. Think about that. It wasn't leaning, it was an ass-kicking. There's also the technical aspect of ground and pound. Alves wouldn't have gotten up so many times if it was easy.

I was impressed by GSP's performance. Didn't think he could shoot that fast. I'm telling you now that he would beat Anderson Silva. Quote me as I have little doubt to this. Anderson can't stop Gsp's shot and the impending ground and pound.

I was dissapointed with Bisping. Hendo was throwing that right hand all night and Bisping still got caught. Why didn't he circle away from the right hand? Surely after the 1st, he knew what Hendo was gunning for.

I wanted Mir to win but Brock showed discipline in that fight. If Nog can't beat Brock, bring on Fedor. Seriously, right now, Brock is the one with the best chance to beat Fedor and he has a decent chance of it.

My jaw hit the floor and remained there for about a minute after Bisping got KOed. What a hit.

It's good to see Brock's still a top-level heel after so many years out of the pro wrestling game. Awesome freaking promo, he's got balls to knock the event sponsor.

Mr. Sam

HisshouBuraiKen said:
It's good to see Brock's still a top-level heel after so many years out of the pro wrestling game. Awesome freaking promo, he's got balls to knock the event sponsor.

What are they gonna do? Fire him?

Rur0ni

Here are the special fight bonuses for UFC 100:

Fight of the Night — Alan Belcher vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama

Knockout of the Night — Dan Henderson

Submission of the Night – Tom Lawlor

Again, each fighter received $100,000 extra for their performances in addition to their respective base salaries, which we will pass along as soon as they become available.

The historic card drew roughly 11,000 fans for a live gate of $5.1 million — second only to Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz II, which grossed $5.4 million

edit: Dana says Fedor is coming? Yes please. If Lesnar is undefeated from now on, and beats Fedor, I'll shut it. The meltdown will be most glorious. Sport turned on its head.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Stoney Mason said:

A guy who will always be remembered as the former star in a dead company who never got off the sinking ship?

JimiNutz

Banned
Has anyone seen all the prelims? If so, where did you see them, and are any of them worth paying extra for?
I hear Miller Danzig was a bloodbath and Jones was up to his usual tricks (spinning elbows etc.)

Really hope Dana delivers and finally signs Fedor. Lesnar vs Fedor is the only fight I want to watch Brock in right now.
Stupid Brock lost me money and then flipped me off (I wasn't there but I was booing my tv) :lol

That Bisping KO is so awesome. I just watch it over, and over, and over again.
Still even though Mikes a bit of a dick I hope he’s ok. One things for sure he’s gonna have a sore chin/jaw this morning :D

Jokeropia

Brock owning the haters again. :D

You can complain about his behaviour (I find it hilarous though) but when it comes to fighting he's the Real Deal and that's what matters.
thefro said:
Such a fucking monster. I love it. :lol

I was also very impressed (of course) by the King of all Trades, GSP.

Also, this is a general wondering that goes for all big sports events with threads on GAF. How can you all have time to continually come here and post while they're going on? Are you watching them through webcasts or are you really jumping back and forth between the computer and the TV?

Jokeropia said:
Also, this is a general wondering that goes for all big sports events with threads on GAF. How can you all have time to continually come here and post while they're going on? Are you watching them through webcasts or are you really jumping back and forth between the computer and the TV?

Laptop and wifi is your friend. ;)

Rur0ni

If Fedor beats Barnett Aug 1st, who is left for him? If no one leaves the UFC, he's got no real fights.

Couture/Nog/Carwin/Cain are the four that standout at the moment in the UFC as far as title shots go. So we can see 2 or 3 Brock defenses here.

Jokeropia said:
Brock owning the haters again. :D

You can complain about his behaviour (I find it hilarous though) but when it comes to fighting he's the Real Deal and that's what matters.Such a fucking monster. I love it. :lol

I was also very impressed (of course) by the King of all Trades, GSP.

I'm glad he won... but I'm a little tired of his antics.
I'm a big brock fan from his debut in WWE and on. But to act like an ass just because you can and flip off the crowd is unacceptable. Try a little bit of restraint and respect.

I may be a fan of his, but at this point I'd like to see someone beat some humility into him just to shut him up.

mrbagdt

sounds like the undercard was better than the main card.

close win for akiyama in my opinion, i had it 29/28 for him, i think claiming it was a robbery on air as a commentator is a little uncalled for...

henderson looked very good, a lot better than he did in his last fight vs palhares. hopefully he can stay at that level in the future.

gsp is just to good, what can you say. fantastic takedowns took away any leg kicks by thiago, what should have been competitive turned into a total one sided affair.

lesnar wins the fight using techniques a bully would teach you. seriously, if he can do that to mir, i cant see who in the ufc is going to challenge him that much. maybe shane carwin, but i dont know... i thought his comment disparaging coors light afterwards was the most intersting thing of the bout.

jon fitch shows he is still a top guy.

holy crap about the lawlor submission! on the ufc roundtable on sherdog every picked cb but they read several emails from people saying that they were not giving him enough of a chance and he would surprise everybody... looks like he did!

jon jones shows he is a man and mixes it up with a choke. good stuff.

cant believe coleman won. what is bonnar doing wrong in his training that leads to performances like this.

hooray for kim, glad he got another win under his belt, and from reading the pbps he looked good throughout and did not gas.

brosan123

hope bisping is still the same shit-talker after that...that white cap on the logo underneath him looks like hendo knocked his white bowler hat neatly above his head.

Boogie

Ryck said:

DD-11 said:
Sadly, this appears to be true. I also don't really think of him as a great game planner. He has one game plan, and we've seen it in every fight since he got KOd. He stays well out of range, throws a jabs, a spinning back kick and floats out of range until his opponent misses a strike allowing him to get a take down. It takes great athleticism to do this, but that doesn't make it interesting.

Being canadian, I really want him to win, but I don't get much joy out of watching his fights. He's great at what he does, but it's pretty boring.

Umm, okaayyyyyy.

How many times in the Fitch fight did GSP drop Fitch like a sack of potatoes? If Fitch wasn't the frickin' terminator, we'd be talking about GSP's brutal KO in that fight.

And again, in the Penn fight, he mixed his standing combinations with his groundwork. He beat BJ everywhere.

And last night, we saw absolute perfect in takedown timing.

I absolutely disagree with any suggestion of characterizing GSP as a Lay and Prayer.

timetokill said:
Also... boogie, you need to chill the fuck out

Yeah...

GSP fights lead to celebratory boozing lead to Boogie going something something.

Crazy? Don't mind if I do...

I really need someone to keep me away from GAF the night after events like this one. Sorry guys :lol

Stoney Mason said:
And for what it's worth I'll stick by my statement at the moment that Fedor will never fight in the UFC. There is just too much vested interest in keeping the status quo for both sides. The more Fedor stays outside the UFC the more drawing power he has on his own. And the UFC doesn't really need him to sell PPV's although of course having his name would be a good thing.

Both sides are just too scared of the other side and of being screwed and used by the other. This is beyond just letting Fedor fight in Sambo. There are larger contractual and money issues at stake here especially since Fedor won't ever really be a "UFC guy". He's made his mark by being the anti-UFC guy.

Ya, I think I agree with your assessment here, Stoney. I'll always get giddy like a schoolgirl hearing Dana talk about putting in the effort to sign Fedor, but rationally, I have a hard time seeing it happen.

But then again, Affliction is probably going to be dead come August 2nd, so we'll see what happens after that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Boogie said:
edit: just watched the post-fight presser of Lesnar. If that's not the face of someone who was just bitch-slapped by the Godfather, I don't know what is...
I thought it was hilarious.

Boogie

Rur0ni said:
If Fedor beats Barnett Aug 1st, who is left for him? If no one leaves the UFC, he's got no real fights.

Winner of Overeem/Werdum. Maybe Brett Rogers (yawn). Maybe Antonio Silva. None of those being really very compelling other than maybe Overeem.

Strikeforce might not be able to afford Fedor, so maybe we'll just see him in Japanese freakshow matchups for 2 years after Affliction folds. :-/

Dana's quote on Lesnar's postfight antics:

I was blown away. I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve had anybody do that. It’s not who we are, and, to be honest, it’s not who he is. You hang with these guys personally, and you get to know them. If he was a dick, I’d tell you right now this guy is a psycho and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him. He’s not. He’s a smart guy. The sponsorship thing was the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life."

"Brock went so far over the top, I can’t even put it into words. WWE -- that’s what it is. We had a talk. We talked like men, and he said he was sorry. He said, ‘I’m embarrassed by what I said.’ I take his word for it this time."

yacobod

Banned
i think it was pretty impressive how alves was able to keep powering up or getting to his feet after all those takedowns, i figured alves would gas in the championship rounds, he got dominated in a technical sense, but he was pretty impressive in defeat as well if that makes any sense

i'm going to agree with a few of the others, i think gsp could take down anderson and gnp him to a win, will be interesting to see if the fight ever materializes, there arent any interesting fights at 170 for gsp anymore, the top of the division is clearly gsp, fitch, and alves, and gsp has already beat both guys pretty handily

is anyone really excited to see the winner of swick/kampan get tooled by gsp?

Boogie said:
None of those being really very compelling other than maybe Overeem.

i guess it would be cool to see the roided up overeem get Ko'd, but i dont think overeem has anything to offer in that fight

Boogie

yacobod said:

Well, I get excited to see anybody tooled by GSP. ;)

But ya, hard to get worked up about that fight after Fitch/Penn/Alves. Neither Swick nor Kampmann has a hope in hell of keeping themselves off of their backs in a fight with GSP.

Boogie said:
Ya, I think I agree with your assessment here, Stoney. I'll always get giddy like a schoolgirl hearing Dana talk about putting in the effort to sign Fedor, but rationally, I have a hard time seeing it happen.

But then again, Affliction is probably going to be dead come August 2nd, so we'll see what happens after that.

My real hope is that the rise of Brock actually helps both sides on the money front and just the personal front of Fedor wanting to prove he is the best to the world even in the lion's den. If we want Fedor in the UFC in a weird way I think Brock destroying people is the only real leverage the UFC has.

Obviously what Real Fan wouldn't give his left testicle for Fedor to be in the UFC. You immediately get so many dream matches. Fedor versus Brock. Fedor versus Randy. Fedor versus a returning Chuck Liddell since he's always said he wants to fight Fedor.

Otherwise we are stuck with Fedor fighting Tito Ortiz sometime down the road. :(

yacobod said:
i think it was pretty impressive how alves was able to keep powering up or getting to his feet after all those takedowns, i figured alves would gas in the championship rounds, he got dominated in a technical sense, but he was pretty impressive in defeat as well if that makes any sense

i'm going to agree with a few of the others, i think gsp could take down anderson and gnp him to a win, will be interesting to see if the fight ever materializes, there arent any interesting fights at 170 for gsp anymore, the top of the division is clearly gsp, fitch, and alves, and gsp has already beat both guys pretty handily

i guess it would be cool to see the roided up overeem get Ko'd, but i dont think overeem has anything to offer in that fight

Back after a good nights sleep...

I think it would be really interesting to see GSP v. Silva about a year from now when GSP has bulked up properly.

Boogie said:
But by all means, Liu Kang, keep thinking that you know every gawdamned thing about this sport, and that Dana would be pleased as fuck at Brock's little rant, because he "knows how to play the heel".
Did you miss me saying this:

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Am I the only person seeing the Tito Ortiz "Gay Mezger" photo that was posted?

Brock isn't anything different, and Dana and the UFC don't give a shit. Maybe he'll not trash a sponsor in the future, but characters are characters, and it's better to have some people be a giant dick than to have everyone be a generic fight machine.
I never disputed that doing that was taking it too far.

Adding on to that, I've also never acted or talked about MMA as if I knew much about it, so you can stop with all of the shit-talk about me trying to act like "you know every gawdamned thing about this sport." Feel free to quote me on any moment where I've acted like that. What's your problem?

Kabuki Waq had it right according to why pro wrestling fans are attracted to MMA now. Your first mistake was assuming I've cared about pro wrestling at all for the last four years. But it's not because they want someone like Brock putting on a dick parade, but it's exactly because we're tired of the horseshit and cheese from the wrestling that's absent in MMA. However, I don't see Brock's act as fake at all. While he's definitely amping it up to make himself more interesting, he's obviously truly pissed at the fans that still shit-talk him for being a rookie and a former fake wrestler, and he's pissed at Mir for talking so much shit when he just caught him in a rookie mistake in the first match.

It is rather hilarious to see MrOctober get worked so hard by Brock's obvious trolling, though.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
mrbagdt said:
sounds like the undercard was better than the main card.

close win for akiyama in my opinion, i had it 29/28 for him, i think claiming it was a robbery on air as a commentator is a little uncalled for...

henderson looked very good, a lot better than he did in his last fight vs palhares. hopefully he can stay at that level in the future.

gsp is just to good, what can you say. fantastic takedowns took away any leg kicks by thiago, what should have been competitive turned into a total one sided affair.

lesnar wins the fight using techniques a bully would teach you. seriously, if he can do that to mir, i cant see who in the ufc is going to challenge him that much. maybe shane carwin, but i dont know... i thought his comment disparaging coors light afterwards was the most intersting thing of the bout.

jon fitch shows he is still a top guy.

holy crap about the lawlor submission! on the ufc roundtable on sherdog every picked cb but they read several emails from people saying that they were not giving him enough of a chance and he would surprise everybody... looks like he did!

jon jones shows he is a man and mixes it up with a choke. good stuff.

cant believe coleman won. what is bonnar doing wrong in his training that leads to performances like this.

hooray for kim, glad he got another win under his belt, and from reading the pbps he looked good throughout and did not gas.

Joe was just mad cuz he's not as Sexy as Akiyama

His sexiness was too overwhelming

Zeliard

Stoney Mason said:
My real hope is that the rise of Brock actually helps both sides on the money front and just the personal front of Fedor wanting to prove he is the best to the world even in the lion's den. If we want Fedor in the UFC in a weird way I think Brock destroying people is the only real leverage the UFC has.

Obviously what Real Fan wouldn't give his left testicle for Fedor to be in the UFC. You immediately get so many dream matches. Fedor versus Brock. Fedor versus Randy. Fedor versus a returning Chuck Liddell since he's always said he wants to fight Fedor.

Otherwise we are stuck with Fedor fighting Tito Ortiz sometime down the road. :(

That's why I think it'll happen. It makes far too much sense for both parties. They will eventually compromise. Dana, after Brock decimated Mir last night, wants Fedor in the UFC now more than ever. It wasn't very long ago when he was saying "I don't give a fuck about Fedor" (which no one believed for a second), but now he's flat-out saying he wants him and it'll happen.

Rur0ni

Zeliard said:
That's why I think it'll happen. It makes far too much sense for both parties. They will eventually compromise. Dana, after Brock decimated Mir last night, wants Fedor in the UFC now more than ever. It wasn't very long ago when he was saying "I don't give a fuck about Fedor" (which no one believed for a second), but now he's flat-out saying he wants him and it'll happen.
Yesh!

Keep destroying people Brock, goad the baddest mofo on the planet to the cage!

Rur0ni said:

edit: Dana says Fedor is coming? Yes please. If Lesnar is undefeated from now on, and beats Fedor, I'll shut it. The meltdown will be most glorious. Sport turned on its head.
I was telling everyone that Brock would beat Mir because he's better even though everyone I watched the fight with thought Mir would win, but I don't think he can hang with Fedor.

MrOctober

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Did you miss me saying this:

I never disputed that doing that was taking it too far.

Adding on to that, I've also never acted or talked about MMA as if I knew much about it, so you can stop with all of the shit-talk about me trying to act like "you know every gawdamned thing about this sport." Feel free to quote me on any moment where I've acted like that. What's your problem?

Kabuki Waq had it right according to why pro wrestling fans are attracted to MMA now. Your first mistake was assuming I've cared about pro wrestling at all for the last four years. But it's not because they want someone like Brock putting on a dick parade, but it's exactly because we're tired of the horseshit and cheese from the wrestling that's absent in MMA. However, I don't see Brock's act as fake at all. While he's definitely amping it up to make himself more interesting, he's obviously truly pissed at the fans that still shit-talk him for being a rookie and a former fake wrestler, and he's pissed at Mir for talking so much shit when he just caught him in a rookie mistake in the first match.

It is rather hilarious to see MrOctober get worked so hard by Brock's obvious trolling, though.

Fair enough. It was rather hilarious even to me re-reading what I wrote in blind rage. :lol :lol I make a fool of myself more often than I'd like.

Dana White said:
I was blown away. I don’t think in the history of the UFC we’ve had anybody do that. It’s not who we are, and, to be honest, it’s not who he is. You hang with these guys personally, and you get to know them. If he was a dick, I’d tell you right now this guy is a psycho and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him. He’s not. He’s a smart guy. The sponsorship thing was the craziest thing I’ve ever heard in my life."

"Brock went so far over the top, I can’t even put it into words. WWE -- that’s what it is. We had a talk. We talked like men, and he said he was sorry. He said, ‘I’m embarrassed by what I said.’ I take his word for it this time."
Oh come on Dana, he's a heel and you fucking love it. This is what Brock does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom