• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantast2k said:
Don't be ridiculous guys...
Randleman, Coleman, Fujita were as good and as strong as Lesnar (all of them were probably on roids at that time as well). You probably know how their fights went agains Fedor..

LOL

Randleman isn't even a true heavyweight. He wrestled in college at 177. He was 'roided up, sure, but I doubt he ever crossed the other side of 228 when in the ring. Andrei Arlovski at 237 is probably bigger that Randleman ever was on any given day in the ring.

Coleman weighed-in at 224 against Fedor because Coleman's knees were already shot back then.

Fujita would probably come closest in bulk, but at 240 max, still isn't even close to Brock, who's cutting to get in at 265. He isn't close in terms of speed either.

Calculon said:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/Awesome5000/1247367977823.gif

Nice to have a totally epic knockout, a lot of stuff has been going to decision lately.
It certainly was epic...his damn head snapped like it skipped frames or something.

agrajag

Banned
Fedor probably can take more damage than anyone. Randleman dropped him on his fucking head and Fedor kept fighting like it was nothing.

whytemyke said:
Yeah... I don't get the anger at GSP. The guy seems obviously the best P4P guy in UFC right now. He's not a lay and pray fighter, either... it's just that was obviously the best strategy he came up with going into this fight. He almost submitted Alves twice, also, until the 5th when his corner told him to stop going for the back. I mean, what do people want, GSP to stand up and go toe to toe with Alves when that's easily Alves strength? Ridiculous.

People are stupid and remember fighters incorrectly all the time. Perfect example: Anderson Silva. Everyone remembers his knockouts, but no one seems to remember that against fighters that don't rush him like Leben did, he is slow to start and patient. It just happens that eventually his opponent gets frustrated and comes at him, he finishes.

GSP ALWAYS (except the awful first Serra fight) employs the same gameplan. The fact that he has some great finishes is irrelevant, but seems to make people forget that he always :

1. Gets comfortable standing (optional)
2. Hits the takedown.
3. Passes to side control.
4. Drops some elbows.
5. ???
6. Profits.

DD-11 said:
That said, no one has been able to go 5 rounds with gsp and take as little damage as Alves did. It was incredible. No one has been able to get up every single time either. That guy is a monster and is only going to get better.

Not to take anything away from Alves, but his face was pretty busted up. They did a great job cleaning him up and respect to him for not letting the beatdown affect him, but he certainly got hit hard.

agrajag said:
Fedor probably can take more damage than anyone. Randleman dropped him on his fucking head and Fedor kept fighting like it was nothing.

Watch that again. He moves just right so he lands on his upper back. Not to say Fedor can't take a hit, but that is a poor example.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man, Lesnar is a fucking BEAST. He's inhuman and so dominant physically, but I just do not like him as a person. He needs to leave his WWE antics out of the ring.

GSP <3

He completely and utterly dominated - yet again - and this time against a dude that was supposed to be his biggest challenge yet, at least 20lbs heavier, and they did not even belong in the same ring last night.

reilo said:
He completely and utterly dominated - yet again - and this time against a dude that was supposed to be his biggest challenge yet, at least 20lbs heavier, and they did not even belong in the same ring last night.

There is no way he weighed that much more. Rogan and Goldberg were talking out of their asses. They even said after talking about how he must be over 200lbs that someone just confirmed that he was 190 on fight night. He may have been the heavier man by a good bit, but FFS those two can be incredibly misleading.

hendo hit bisping so hard he saw mr tumnus, defeated the white witch and became king of narnia for a bit. then he came back.

Edit: Coleman Vs Chuck, Loser retires match, i can see this happening anyone else think it may be a good match up?

nightez

Banned
Brock Lesnar is something else. The worst bit was when he gave the entire audience the middle finger and started trash talking the UFC's sponsors. Then he announces that he's going to jump on his wife when he gets home. In this sport we are used to champions who are humble in victory and show good sportsmanship. Lesnar is an exception, he even tried to attack his opponent after beating him really badly. I really don't know what to make of him, he's even announced that he doesn't respect anyone who he fights in the ring.

Anyway the UFC's heavyweight division is weak. There's no one who's any serious competition for Fedor. If Brock wanted to prove himself he would go to Affliction(or Dream) and fight the greatest fighter this sport has ever seen. You can't expect the champ to chase all his challengers. Its up to the challengers to prove their worth and go where he is.

From what we've seen so far. Brock is a timid striker and looks like he's got a "suspect chin". He almost got dropped the only time Mir mounted any standup offense. A very aggressive "all or nothing striker" like Fedor could knock him out swiftly with rapid-fire flurries and not give him chance to recover.

We also know that all Brock's got going for him is his size and his wrestling. But Fedor is a great wrestler himself, best sambo in the world, he wont make it any easier for Brock. Fedor also has a better ground game than anyone Brock fought, he has schooled many BJJ black belts. Fedor is also an accomplished giant killer, he's beat larger guys than Brock.

nightez

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Henderson on the other hand landed that blow, looked down and saw he was out cold/not defending himself then delivered another massive blow, THAT is bad sportsmanship and should result in a suspension, maybe even a banning. He could have killed the guy.
There's no way you can be sure someone is out cold in that short a space of time. To be honest the rules of the sport are that you only stop after the ref tells you to. And besides Bisping still could have gotten up if Hendo didn't deliver that final blow.

They've been cases of fighters prematurely raising their hands in victory after dropping someone. Gomi has done it before.

nightez said:
If Brock wanted to prove himself he would go to Affliction(or Dream) and fight the greatest fighter this sport has ever seen. You can't expect the champ to chase all his challengers. Its up to the challengers to prove their worth and go where he is.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Worst post in this thread so far and that's saying something.

Brock anger is now driving people stupid.

nightez

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Worst post in this thread so far and that's saying something.

In any fight sport. When has the champ ever had to follow the challengers?

Fedor has already proven himself to be best. He's got nothing to prove to anyone.

nightez said:

Fedor has already proven himself to be best. He's got nothing to prove to anyone.

I know on what ever planet you are on it makes perfect since for Brock to pack up and travel to Affliction, a barely hanging on company losing money and leave the company that is stable, and paying him well and gave him his break and has promoted him, to fight Fedor but on planet Earth we call that stupid.

Originally Posted by TheDuce22:
Henderson on the other hand landed that blow, looked down and saw he was out cold/not defending himself then delivered another massive blow, THAT is bad sportsmanship and should result in a suspension, maybe even a banning. He could have killed the guy.

Wow, Go watch Wand/Rampage 3 where Rampage hit Wandy 3 times after he was out and the ref was trying to pull him off. Heath/Babalu or Penn/Pulver 2 where both fighters held the choke long after the ref was trying to pull them off.

if Hendo deserves a suspension then all these guys shouldnt be allowed to ever fight again.

Seriously, it happens a lot, you don't stop till the ref pulls you off, Fuck Heath Herring blew his chance at Finishing Nog in the 3rd fight because the dude failed to jump on him and pound him out, these things happen all the time Rashad/Salmon, Gonzaga/Cro Cop, Yoshida/Koscheck (yoshida was out on his feet)

Clean:
HendoKnockout.gif

Dirty:
page.gif

nightez said:
Brock Lesnar is something else. The worst bit was when he gave the entire audience the middle finger and started trash talking the UFC's sponsors. Then he announces that he's going to jump on his wife when he gets home. In this sport we are used to champions who are humble in victory and show good sportsmanship. Lesnar is an exception, he even tried to attack his opponent after beating him really badly.

No he didn't. He got in his face and talked. Lesnar's conduct was bad enough. You don't have to go and make things up.

nightez said:
I really don't know what to make of him, he's even announced that he doesn't respect anyone who he fights in the ring.

That's a load of bullshit too, nightez. I have a copy of the pre-fight teleconference for Lesnar v. Couture right here on my hard drive. Brock was highly complementary and respectful of Couture in every way. He even spoke up for Couture when reporters were hammering him with off-topic questions about Fedor.

Stoney Mason said:

It's also driving people to just plain make up things that didn't happen (see nightez's post). Maybe if you get really angry at Lesnar, you start hallucinating.

EraldoCoil said:

Wow, Go watch Wand/Rampage 3 where Rampage hit Wandy 3 times after he was out and the ref was trying to pull him off. Heath/Babalu or Penn/Pulver 2 where both fighters held the choke long after the ref was trying to pull them off.

if Hendo deserves a suspension then all these guys shouldnt be allowed to ever fight again.

Seriously, it happens a lot, you don't stop till the ref pulls you off, Fuck Heath Herring blew his chance at Finishing Nog in the 3rd fight because the dude failed to jump on him and pound him out, these things happen all the time Rashad/Salmon, Gonzaga/Cro Cop, Yoshida/Koscheck (yoshida was out on his feet)

Clean:
HendoKnockout.gif

Dirty:
page.gif

No kidding.

When you watch closely from all angles, you see that it was a forearm that connected. I have a hard time believing that he would intentionally choose a forearm over a punch or an elbow. That in and of itself makes me think that he realized he was out about mid-way down (Which is exactly what he said) and adjusted as much as he could after having committed so much to the strike.

EraldoCoil said:

The difference is Hendo said that he hit Bisping knowing he was out. I don't care if he gets suspended or not, but you are missing that fact.

nightez said:

You are missing the fact that in other fight sports, there are a bunch of promoters on equal footing. As much as one could agree about chasing Fedor, he would have to break his contract which would be incredibly dumb considering the lack of stability elsewhere.

MrOctober

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I thought Lesnar's comments about the sponsor were stupid and inexcusable, but this self-righteous, yet completely ignorant post is just as inexcusable and stupid.

Where's Tito Ortz now? Seriously? You call yourself a fight fan?

First off, I don't know specifically where Tito is, but I do know that wherever Tito is, he's counting incredibly huge stacks of cash, because in August of last year, he signed the most lucrative fighter contract in the history of MMA. It's not Tito's fault Affliction sucks, Tito is still getting paid though. And last I checked, getting paid is what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Secondly, another place Tito is, or rather soon will be, is in the MMA Hall of fame. He carried the sport as one of its biggest draws for a long time, and IIRC, his matchup with Chuck still holds the record in terms of MMA PPV buys and live gate. From a promoter's point of view at least, that makes him a greater champ than Fedor, who, despite his dominance, can't draw shit compared to Tito.

I'm a huge fight fan yes, more so than you since I actually do know where Tito is. My point is that he isn't in THE organization. There is no Pride anymore so you're either in the UFC or triple A. That's the way it is. And where are you getting this info about Tito signing a lucrative contract?

After leaving the UFC, Ortiz has been approached by multiple promotions, including the now defunct EliteXC, Affliction and the American Fight League. However, a clause in his old UFC contract forbids Ortiz from signing with, or fighting for any other organization until approximately April-June 2009. Until then, Tito is considered by many to be the biggest free agent on the market.[17]

On October 6 2008, Tito underwent back surgery in Las Vegas Nevada.[18] According to his website, he had been experiencing back pain since his fight with Randy Couture. It is unknown how long it will be before he steps into the cage [or ring] again.

On Wednesday, December 17, 2008, Affliction Entertainment announced that Tito Ortiz would be part of the broadcast team for Affliction: Day of Reckoning event. Ortiz has since said he will fight again in August 2009, but did not say what organization it would be for. Tito now is talking with Strikeforce over a four fight deal at this time but have yet to make it final.

His matchup with Chuck was so great because Chuck shut him the fuck up and knocked his ass out. Once you are a shitbag and get put in your place that's the end for you. Your casual fanbase bails on you and no real fan likes you because you aren't a humble respectful champion.

prodystopian said:
The difference is Hendo said that he hit Bisping knowing he was out. I don't care if he gets suspended or not, but you are missing that fact.

still he may be out, but he could have amazing recovery, you DON'T STOP TILL THE REF STOPS YOU, Hendo seen that he was out but Yamsaki wasn't in position to see that, so he continued till he was stopped.

MrOctober

Banned
EraldoCoil said:
still he may be out, but he could have amazing recovery, you DON'T STOP TILL THE REF STOPS YOU, Hendo seen that he was out but Yamsaki wasn't in position to see that, so he continued till he was stopped.

Exactly this. It's the refs job to stop you. If you let a submission go because the dude tapped but the ref doesn't see it and then the guy gets up what happens then? You go hard until the ref grabs you.

MrOctober

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
That's a load of bullshit too, nightez. I have a copy of the pre-fight teleconference for Lesnar v. Couture right here on my hard drive. Brock was highly complementary and respectful of Couture in every way. He even spoke up for Couture when reporters were hammering him with off-topic questions about Fedor.

Brock did say he has no respect for anyone he fights, and he had none for Couture. I'm literally not being a dick here I'm just saying he said that. I have very little problem with that as pre fight hype though. It's the antics after the fight that urk me.

Zeliard

MrOctober said:
Brock did say he has no respect for anyone he fights, and he had none for Couture. I'm literally not being a dick here I'm just saying he said that. I have very little problem with that as pre fight hype though. It's the antics after the fight that urk me.

Brock liked Randy a lot. Hard to blame him. Couture is impossible to hate even if you're Brock Lesnar and hate everybody.

MrOctober

Banned
Zeliard said:
Brock liked Randy a lot. Hard to blame him. Couture is impossible to hate even if you're Brock Lesnar and hate everybody.

I completely agree and I'm not trying to shit on Brock here as much as I'd like to. I was just backing up what Nightez was saying. Someone called him out and said he was making shit up when he wasn't.

Zeliard

Eggo said:
The youtube link is down. What match had the 360? The Miller one? That's the only prelim I haven't seen, and I don't remember seeing a Buffer 360. We were disappointed it didn't happen in the Mir/Lesnar fight.

That's when it happened. In that video, he introduced Brock with the 360. Just wasn't televised.

Ninja Scooter said:
BWAAA :lol :lol :lol

the akiama fight was messed up, he never kept his hands up and let himself get hit over and over. i really wanted him to win but not like that.....we all know he lost and they gave it to him.

Hendo rocked Bisping

i knew Lesnar was gonna win but i didnt know he was gonna rapa Mir. now mir can STFU

<3 Lesnar WWOooooooooo
brock_lesnar.jpg

imagine if he still looked like this, i wish he would get that big again.
BrockLesnar.jpg

So, which two rounds did Belcher win against Akiyama? Seriously, how can anyone say Belcher won the first or second round? 3rd round? arguable, but that still only leaves two options.. 30-27 and 29-28 Sexyama!

BISPING! YES!!! i have hated Bisping since he ACTUALLY ACTED LIKE HE WON when the judges straight fucking robbed a deaf man at knifepoint (cuz they dont have guns in the UK, get it?) in the UK. Oh, and the second thing any coach tells their athletes is don't stop until the ref says to stop. The first thing is always listen to what the coach says.

GSP was AMAZING as usual, but damn, Alves is a tough motherfucker, excellent cardio, he was still going, he just couldn't compete. like Batman vs Superman, except he didn't have any kryptonite in his utility belt.

COCK CHESTNAR! never change, Brock... That lucky win by Mir was avenged, Fedor called out (good luck with that), and he even said he's gonna go home and fuck his wife? :lol :lol :lol

Lots of hardcore Pro Wrasslin' fans have also been MMA fans for quite a long time. As in just as long or longer than you non-wrasslin' fans have been a fan of MMA. You guys sound like the console fanboys in the gaming section. Grow up. Get over it.

Ninja Scooter said:

:lol :lol :lol

benita316

Banned
As the first MMA event i've paid attention to, Brock was pretty entertaining even though i'm sure he got reamed for burying a sponsor.

However that flying elbow was disgusting and completely turned me off.

Unless that guy gets banned then I guess MMA just isn't for me.

yacobod

Banned
EraldoCoil said:
Edit: Coleman Vs Chuck, Loser retires match, i can see this happening anyone else think it may be a good match up?

no, chuck made his living in the octagon by beating up one dimensional wrestlers, chuck still has good tdd and good enough stand up to beat coleman

this would actually be a nice gift wrapped W to send chuck out on a high note

The Faceless Master said:
COCK CHESTNAR! never change, Brock... That lucky win by Mir was avenged, Fedor called out (good luck with that), and he even said he's gonna go home and fuck his wife? :lol :lol :lol

Lots of hardcore Pro Wrasslin' fans have also been MMA fans for quite a long time. As in just as long or longer than you non-wrasslin' fans have been a fan of MMA. You guys sound like the console fanboys in the gaming section. Grow up. Get over it.

:lol :lol :lol
If anything you wrestling folk sound like the console shills. Not everyone has to like your favortie fighter or his antics. Suck it up and move on, nothing wrong with disliking Brock's demeanor at all. You guys are acting like the TF2 fans.

mujun said:
That Akiyama fight was fucked. Belcher got robbed. The judge who gave the fight a 27 : 30 to Akiyama is insane.

Fightmetric disagrees with you. So do a lot of people. People need to leave the "robbed" stuff alone. It was a close fight. I don't have a problem with people saying they thought Belcher won but "robbed" is a bit much despite Goldberg and Rogan going overboard as they usually do.

benita316 said:
As the first MMA event i've paid attention to, Brock was pretty entertaining even though i'm sure he got reamed for burying a sponsor.

If you thought that was "disgusting" then the sport indeed isn't for you.

I think Belcher looked better to people only because Akiyama was so gassed for the last two rounds. But really, with an opponent that gassed, Belcher still couldn't get shit done.

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i knew Lesnar was gonna win but i didnt know he was gonna rapa Mir. now mir can STFU

<3 Lesnar WWOooooooooo
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/jnuesser/brock_lesnar.jpg

imagine if he still looked like this, i wish he would get that big again.
BrockLesnar.jpg
How much did he weigh in his wwe days?

Yeah, hes fun as hell to watch. Everyone can say what they like, but they will tune in the next time he gets in the ring as well. Regardless of you hoping to see him win, or see him lose(or get destroyed), he did his job and he did it perfectly. You will anticipate it highly, then watch it, and afterward come back on here to cheer/boo at his victory/loss.

*looks up fight with randy*
He did say good things about Randy before the fight and touch gloves with him at the beginning of the fight. He also shook his hand after the fight, gave him a hug, and said he had respect for him. What happened: the crowd continued to boo. Maybe Brock just doesnt like Mir and the way he handled it, so he dealt with him how he saw fit.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Man Brock is such an idiot. He's like retarded. I'm not mad that he's such a classless asshole. I'm more amused at how stupid he can be. I didn't think anything would top the "God Bless God" statement... then he does this pre fight interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoVrX_t-Tes&feature=related Where he says after he's done talking here he's done talking and he will go home... only to have Dana White tell him that he has to sit down after the talking and stay on stage :lol

I watched the fight last night at a bar and missed what he said post fight. Does anyone have a link?

Zeliard

benita316 said:

There is almost never any malicious intent when that happens. Strikes coming soon after the ref has stopped the fight are common, since the opponent can always recover if the ref doesn't stop it, and the fighters are going on adrenaline. The classiest fighters in the sport do this. That's why nearly every fight that ends with a knockout or TKO involves the ref literally shoving the winning fighter away from the other guy.

Henderson gloating afterwards that he enjoyed hitting Bisping that second time was uncalled for, though. But looking at the video, Henderson goes for that elbow as soon as his punch hits. He didn't really have time to change his trajectory before the ref jumped in.

One guy previously kept a chokehold on an opponent for a few seconds after the ref was trying to get him off, and he was promptly banned from the UFC.

mujun

Stoney Mason said:
Fightmetric disagrees with you. So do a lot of people. People need to leave the "robbed" stuff alone. It was a close fight. I don't have a problem with people saying they thought Belcher won but "robbed" is a bit much despite Goldberg and Rogan going overboard as they usually do.

I might be over stating it. Still Akiyama didn't do anything with his takedowns which unless I'm mistaken means that to the judges they are worth little or no points. He didn't even really manage to land any significant ground and pound off his take downs let alone sub attempts.

Belcher also got up fairly easily another thing that judges can give points for. I've only watched the fight once so I might feel different after watching it again but I still think Belcher won two rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom