• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official UFC 100 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so after all that sponsor talk all Brock got was maybe a little talking to and he apologized ?

I think Brock will still be an ass to his opponents but he wont be trashing any sponsors.

Zeliard

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
However, I don't see Brock's act as fake at all. While he's definitely amping it up to make himself more interesting, he's obviously truly pissed at the fans that still shit-talk him for being a rookie and a former fake wrestler, and he's pissed at Mir for talking so much shit when he just caught him in a rookie mistake in the first match..

I agree with this. People said that Brock was playing the heel, and even he claimed so after the fight ("I come from the entertainment business"), but he looked pretty clearly pissed off to me. This wasn't a guy acting angry - he was angry both pre- and post-fight and got overly emotional. It had been been building up over 17 months since that Mir loss.

There has to be some self-awareness and self-control when you're playing the heel to get the crowd riled up, but Brock let his emotions take over. He was upset at the weigh-ins and press conferences as well. I do think he needs to settle down a bit before he just snaps and does something truly regrettable.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i hate brock as much as anyone on this board, but hes here to stay. i dont think anyone can handle his size/strength. he has man handled everyone in the ufc, and he'd do the same to fedor (as much as i'd hope otherwise). fuck. sadface.

Mr. Sam said:
Brock never insulted the WWE's sponsors! How dare he!

There is a humorous element in there that you can be as big a dick as you want to be. You can be a horrible human being and say the most awful things. But don't insult the sponsors!

I get it of course. It's a business. But just on a purely observational level it is funny.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Yeah, other than the sponsor bashing, I think that Brock is great. A colorful, non-generic character that can only get better. You can see that he's maturing as a fighter, and that there is going to have to be a serious shifting in his weight class for him to have a competitive match.

There is one problem that I'm starting to see with UFC - super athletes. Folks like Silva and St. Pierre, who just absolutely dominate their weight class. Who's going to beat those guys? You can't put them in the same class - there's almost a 30 pound difference between the two. That's not good to go up or down that much weight, so I don't really see a match up between those two.

That's not good, because after a while, their cards won't draw as much. Who wants to watch a fight that you already know the outcome? Folks didn't want to go see Tyson fights in person, because you'd be paying hundreds of dollars to watch his opponent get knocked out within 4 minutes. While its not as bad with Silva and GSP, they're easy bets, and that gets boring after a while.

agrajag

Banned
op_ivy said:
i hate brock as much as anyone on this board, but hes here to stay. i dont think anyone can handle his size/strength. he has man handled everyone in the ufc, and he'd do the same to fedor (as much as i'd hope otherwise). fuck. sadface.

Not fedor :((

mr jones said:
Yeah, other than the sponsor bashing, I think that Brock is great. A colorful, non-generic character that can only get better. You can see that he's maturing as a fighter, and that there is going to have to be a serious shifting in his weight class for him to have a competitive match.

There is one problem that I'm starting to see with UFC - super athletes. Folks like Silva and St. Pierre, who just absolutely dominate their weight class. Who's going to beat those guys? You can't put them in the same class - there's almost a 30 pound difference between the two. That's not good to go up or down that much weight, so I don't really see a match up between those two.

That's not good, because after a while, their cards won't draw as much. Who wants to watch a fight that you already know the outcome? Folks didn't want to go see Tyson fights in person, because you'd be paying hundreds of dollars to watch his opponent get knocked out within 4 minutes. While its not as bad with Silva and GSP, they're easy bets, and that gets boring after a while.

I would argue having a few dominant fighters is better than having a lack of dominant fighters. Every sports organizatins wants good rivalries but having a Chuck Liddell knocking out people on a regular basis or having Michael Jordan just decimate people is also appealing to casuals because it allows their expectations to be fulfilled and to get on the bandwagon with a winner. It helps of course if the personality is charismatic but look at Liddell. He "charisma" was basically that he looked and talked like a tough redneck.

Zeliard

mr jones said:

Kenny Florian was saying that the next guy to challenge GSP for the title should be Alves again, because he's the only guy that can realistically challenge him. Florian and Miguel Torres pretty much said that there is nothing left for either Anderson Silva or GSP but to fight each other. GSP will probably have to go to 195 or 200 and then cut down to make that work.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Yeah... I don't get the anger at GSP. The guy seems obviously the best P4P guy in UFC right now. He's not a lay and pray fighter, either... it's just that was obviously the best strategy he came up with going into this fight. He almost submitted Alves twice, also, until the 5th when his corner told him to stop going for the back. I mean, what do people want, GSP to stand up and go toe to toe with Alves when that's easily Alves strength? Ridiculous.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Zeliard said:
Kenny Florian was saying that the next guy to challenge GSP for the title should be Alves again, because he's the only guy that can realistically challenge him. Florian and Miguel Torres pretty much said that there is nothing left for either Anderson Silva or GSP but to fight each other. GSP will probably have to go to 195 or 200 and then cut down to make that work.

Again, I REALLY don't see a Silva vs. GSP fight. Imagine having like 3% body fat, and then being told that you have to drop or raise 15 pounds. That's NOT easy to do, man. At least its not in boxing - I'm sure its pretty similar in mixed-martial arts. Which leaves you with the same question - who can can give a legitimate challenge to Silva or St. Pierre?

Stoney Mason said:
I would argue having a few dominant fighters is better than having a lack of dominant fighters. Every sports organizatins wants good rivalries but having a Chuck Liddell knocking out people on a regular basis or having Michael Jordan just decimate people is also appealing to casuals because it allows their expectations to be fulfilled and to get on the bandwagon with a winner. It helps of course if the personality is charismatic but look at Liddell. He "charisma" was basically that he looked and talked like a tough redneck.

Y'know, its sort of a shame to see Chuck bowing out, because he, like Brock, was a colorful personality. He was a flawed fighter that was entertaining to watch. He had powerful punches, he could switch up between boxing and wrestling, and he could take a hit or two and keep coming at you. But he never seemed insurmountable. He had a few guys that made for great matchups. However he was never the same after getting knocked out by Evans.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
mr jones said:

Venus and Serena ruled Tennis for a while too, but as a result they've pushed the Athletic bar for Woman's tennis, and The women have stepped up physically.

GSP and Silva will just push the next group of up coming fighters to be much better. Its part of the evolution of any sport, specially induvidual Sports, Joyce Gracie, Matt Hugh were almost the same way too at their time.

IMO, if Stungun Kim can develope a GREAT stand Up/striking, he cant be serious problem for GSP, but still needs more fights in the UFC to get a title shot.

and there's a difference between entertaining/colorful character and asshole/jerk. Brock to me come off as an asshole. He's a beast and im glad the heavy weight category got a tough interesting champ, but he's just a straight up disrespectful jerk

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Venus and Serena ruled Tennis for a while too, but as a result they've pushed the Athletic bar for Woman's tennis, and The women have stepped up physically.

GSP and Silva will just push the next group of up coming fighters to be much better. Its part of the evolution of any sport, specially induvidual Sports, Joyce Gracie, Matt Hugh were almost the same way too at their time.

IMO, if Stungun Kim can develope a GREAT stand Up/striking, he cant be serious problem for GSP, but still needs more fights in the UFC to get a title shot.

and there's a difference between entertaining/colorful character and asshole/jerk. Brock to me come off as an asshole. He's a beast and im glad the heavy weight category got a tough interesting champ, but he's just a straight up disrespectful jerk

Don't get me started on tennis. Its one of my favorite sports (I'm about to go play in about 15 minutes, in fact), and I truly have a love-hate relationship with Federer...

What would you have Lesnar do differently? What would he have to do to be less 'assholish'? He gets booed after he wins his matches - he's basically been turned into a UFC 'bad guy'. It would seem ingenuine if after a match he goes to Joe and says "I want to thank my fans, my trainers, my wife, and Coooooooors Lite for this opportunity tonight..." He gets fired up, he pounds away at his opponent, and he brings a certain level of over-the-topness that almost no other fighter brings. I like him.

mr jones said:
Y'know, its sort of a shame to see Chuck bowing out, because he, like Brock, was a colorful personality. He was a flawed fighter that was entertaining to watch. He had powerful punches, he could switch up between boxing and wrestling, and he could take a hit or two and keep coming at you. But he never seemed insurmountable. He had a few guys that made for great matchups. However he was never the same after getting knocked out by Evans.

He'll be back. Dana is simply following the Couture script of having him go away for awhile and then bringing him back.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I really don't see how what Brock said after the fight was any worse than some of the stuff Dana himself has pulled. For example trashing that sherdog-writer on his video blog. The only reason Dana was pissed was because Brock attacked the Money, but I still find it hypocritical of him to get pissed. Obviously he had to make those statements and chastise Brock for it for Bud's sake, but still...it's not like Dana is the best at promoting UFC as a gentleman's sport.

Great overall card. Henderson knocking out Bisping was the highlight. I can't wait to see what Bisping has to say in his next interview. Brock demolished Mir. I was surprised. I thought Brock would make the mistake of trying to box with Mir and Mir would be able to keep the fight on his feet, but Brock just mauled him. He basically used his strength to sit on top of Mir and knock the crap out of him. It was like watching a 7th grader beat up a 3rd grader on the playground.

and I for one love Brock's heel turn. Most of the people at the party I was at who were rooting against Brock thought it was hilarious at the end. Was it classless? Probably, but who cares. Im not trying to be friends with the guy. Its all entertainment. You can only have so many humble guys like GSP, its great to have guys who don't care and act like Brock did. He embraced the fact that everyone hates him I wish more guys in sports would do that. We need more Ric Flairs in real sports. On a podcast last week they were talking about how UFC 100 could be the big coming out party for MMA, kind of like what Wrestlemania 3 was for WWF, well Dana now has his Andre the Giant. People are going to tune in to Brock's fights in the hopes of seeing him lose because they hate him so much, and Dana and Brock are going to ride that all the way to the bank.

MrOctober said:
I feel like bringing up Tito only helps the point. He was a shitbag as well and where is he now? He gave Machida a good fight and did well against Rashad before that yet I don't see him on the cards.

I thought Lesnar's comments about the sponsor were stupid and inexcusable, but this self-righteous, yet completely ignorant post is just as inexcusable and stupid.

Where's Tito Ortz now? Seriously? You call yourself a fight fan?

First off, I don't know specifically where Tito is, but I do know that wherever Tito is, he's counting incredibly huge stacks of cash, because in August of last year, he signed the most lucrative fighter contract in the history of MMA. It's not Tito's fault Affliction sucks, Tito is still getting paid though. And last I checked, getting paid is what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Secondly, another place Tito is, or rather soon will be, is in the MMA Hall of fame. He carried the sport as one of its biggest draws for a long time, and IIRC, his matchup with Chuck still holds the record in terms of MMA PPV buys and live gate. From a promoter's point of view at least, that makes him a greater champ than Fedor, who, despite his dominance, can't draw shit compared to Tito.

agrajag

Banned
Oh yeah, Frank Mir was such an asshole before the fight, amirite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7pEk0fJOk

He was basically a mouthpiece of what many UFC fans who didn't like where Brock came from, what he is about and how he got title shots without paying his dues and climbing through the ranks like everyone else. He was pretty humble before and after the fight.

unomas

Banned
Some people will call what Brock did WWE, it was a little over the top, but he absolutely beat the shit out of Frank Mir. Mir got in a couple of nice shots, but what was great is that Brock laid on him yes, but he finished him and was active the whole time.

In life you've got some people that are easy to like, and you've got some that aren't so easy to like. If the fans want to boo him fine, he feeds off it anyway and it will sell that many more ppv's.

347fcpl.jpg

op_ivy said:
Nah I think Fedor can beat him.

h_a_t

GSP is a beast, and much respect to Alves.
Henderson - Damn SON!
Bisping been fighting for years, he's got to know you don't circle inwards and towards someone's power hand, especially when he knows the person he's fighting is famous for his right.

I still think Mir is a douche, but is eclipsed by Lord Douche Lesnar.
As far as Fedor versus Lesnar, I guess I'm the only person in this thread that believes it would be a toss-up.
Then again, I thought Alves would be more competitive against GSP...

and most importantly, we got the Buffer360, though thanks to youtube and not the ppv event!

Zeliard

Fedor's used to smashing guys bigger and stronger than him. The real problem with Brock, and what truly separates him, is his speed. He's incredibly quick for a guy his size. Shane Carwin is somewhat similar to Brock, with his build, enormous hands and wrestling ability, but he doesn't have anywhere near the speed.

Pristine_Condition said:
I thought Lesnar's comments about the sponsor were stupid and inexcusable, but this self-righteous, yet completely ignorant post is just as inexcusable and stupid.

Where's Tito Ortz now? Seriously? You call yourself a fight fan?

First off, I don't know specifically where Tito is, but I do know that wherever Tito is, he's counting incredibly huge stacks of cash, because in August of last year, he signed the most lucrative fighter contract in the history of MMA. It's not Tito's fault Affliction sucks, Tito is still getting paid though. And last I checked, getting paid is what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Secondly, another place Tito is, or rather soon will be, is in the MMA Hall of fame. He carried the sport as one of its biggest draws for a long time, and IIRC, his matchup with Chuck still holds the record in terms of MMA PPV buys and live gate. From a promoter's point of view at least, that makes him a greater champ than Fedor, who, despite his dominance, can't draw shit compared to Tito.

Tito almost certainly will be signing with Strikefore relatively soon or by next year. He's said as much.

charsace

Zeliard said:
Fedor's used to smashing guys bigger and stronger than him. The real problem with Brock, and what truly separates him, is his speed. He's incredibly quick for a guy his size. Shane Carwin is somewhat similar to Brock, with his build, enormous hands and wrestling ability, but he doesn't have anywhere near the speed.
People seem to think Brock has no skill when he is a very skilled wrestler. Even when was into fake wrestling he still found time to go back to minny and roll with those guys, coaching them, giving tips and learn. Its going to be hard for guys that have been only training the ground game for a few years to out grapple someone that has been doing it since probably junior high.

unomas

Banned
It's amazing how many people have flipped towards the thought of Lesnar beating Fedor based on the improvements he's made in such a short period of time. So the next time we see Brock fight his game will be that much more well rounded and better possibly? Fucking scary, I'd say of anyone in the world he could beat Fedor right now. You tell me how Fedor would catch him in an arm bar if he was pinned down the way Mir was, I just don't see it. Now that doesn't mean Fedor wouldn't catch him with a Haymaker on the feet, but Brock is a genetic monster. I would put my money on Lesnar.

bogg

lol is that rampage in the background?
When I saw that knockout it looked like some cartoon, when the guys gets punched and his neck stretches. Simply brutal.

op_ivy

polyh3dron said:
Nah I think Fedor can beat him.

i hope you are right, but i just dont see it happening.

brock has the size/strength/speed to get any match to the ground and from there he can do what he did to mir and smother him completely.

Druz

op_ivy said:
i hope you are right, but i just dont see it happening.

brock has the size/strength/speed to get any match to the ground and from there he can do what he did to mir and smother him completely.

Fedor fights hasbeens and people who are just bad matchups for him. He's definitely brutal but I think his skill is blown out of proportion. I bet he's too old by the time he comes to UFC if ever.

Don't be ridiculous guys...
Randleman, Coleman, Fujita were as good and as strong as Lesnar (all of them were probably on roids at that time as well). You probably know how their fights went agains Fedor..

op_ivy

Phantast2k said:
Randleman, Coleman, Fujita were as good and as strong as Lesnar (all of them were probably on roids at that time as well). You probably know how their fights went agains Fedor..

brock is MUCH bigger and stronger then those guys...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Phantast2k said:

None of them were even in the same league as Brock when it comes to strength and none of them have his freakish speed or athletic ability either.

yacobod

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
None of them were even in the same league as Brock when it comes to strength and none of them have his freakish speed or athletic ability either.

tbh randleman and coleman were better amateur wrestlers than brock, randlemen was a 2time division 1 champ at ohio state and coleman was an olympic wrestler, but they dont possess his freakish size which is the biggest obstacle for anyone fighting brock

i still would take fedor over brock

Ninja Scooter said:
Great overall card. Henderson knocking out Bisping was the highlight. I can't wait to see what Bisping has to say in his next interview. Brock demolished Mir. I was surprised. I thought Brock would make the mistake of trying to box with Mir and Mir would be able to keep the fight on his feet, but Brock just mauled him. He basically used his strength to sit on top of Mir and knock the crap out of him. It was like watching a 7th grader beat up a 3rd grader on the playground.

and I for one love Brock's heel turn. Most of the people at the party I was at who were rooting against Brock thought it was hilarious at the end. Was it classless? Probably, but who cares. Im not trying to be friends with the guy. Its all entertainment. You can only have so many humble guys like GSP, its great to have guys who don't care and act like Brock did. He embraced the fact that everyone hates him I wish more guys in sports would do that. We need more Ric Flairs in real sports. On a podcast last week they were talking about how UFC 100 could be the big coming out party for MMA, kind of like what Wrestlemania 3 was for WWF, well Dana now has his Andre the Giant. People are going to tune in to Brock's fights in the hopes of seeing him lose because they hate him so much, and Dana and Brock are going to ride that all the way to the bank.

The only problem I see is that until TUF 10 is over or they sign Fedor there really isn't any reason to get excited for upcoming Lesnar fights. Sort of like after Tyson unified the belts there wasn't really any compelling reason to watch him fight other than for the spectacle. If not for the fact that he self destructed the rest of his reign would have been fairly uneventful.

And on another note, i am the fan that Dana White does NOT want. I love the sport and have been following it forever but I'm not buying PPV and I'm not going to shows until there is something truly good to see. The spectacle aspect has been fairly legislated out of it and I'm not spending good coin to watch GSP or Silva or Lesnar outclass and knock over a tin can.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
yacobod said:
tbh randleman and coleman were better amateur wrestlers than brock, randlemen was a 2time division 1 champ at ohio state and coleman was an olympic wrestler, but they dont possess his freakish size which is the biggest obstacle for anyone fighting brock

Thats why I didnt say anything about actual skill. I'm just talking about it from a purely physical stand point. :D

Interesting and very spot on commentary about Brock by Jim Ross

UFC 100 is hours away in Vegas and I plan to watch it with the Mrs. on PPV. Because she's met Brock Lesnar on many occasions and got to know Brock when he was with WWE and I was the EVP of Talent Relations she has developed an interest in MMA. Plus she's always been a boxing fan but with the boxing business on life support Mrs. J.R. has switched her interest from boxing to MMA which is great by me.

Lesnar weighed in at 265 at the official weigh in on Friday but you can count on Brock tipping the scales at 280ish come Saturday night. Brock will likely outweigh his adversary Frank Mir by approximately 30 pounds and even with that size disparity Mir won't have an edge in speed and quickness. Mir does have a decided advantage in MMA experience and has talked a damn good game going into the fight to help sell PPV's. I stick by my prediction that if Brock doesn't make any foolish mistakes early that Lesnar will destroy MIr who will be a HUGE favorite in the arena. Brock once told me that getting booed motivated him to scary levels like when he was a heavyweight wrestler at Minnesota and they would travel to Iowa to compete and where Brock was looked upon as if he was Satan himself there in Iowa City. Lesnar will be booed out of the arena Saturday night in Las Vegas and I don't think that he would have it any other way.

MMA fans love to hate Lesnar with many simply despising Brock because he was a "show biz" wrestler in WWE which is one of the most lame reasons to dislike an athlete one can imagine. There's got to be a better reason than that but apparently there isn't for many MMA purists. Shame on Lesnar for earning a honest living in "rasslin" and becoming the first sports entertainer to earn more than a million dollars a year within the first 3 years of debuting on the main roster of WWE. I also assume it is o.k. to completely disregard Lesnar's vaunted and acclaimed amateur grappling background in high school, JUCO and at Minnesota that culminated with a NCAA Championship.

Perhaps MIr, who, as I mentioned, has done a terrific job in verbalizing this event, might want to consider pro wrestling as his next career after Saturday night especially if he gets destroyed by a bigger, faster, stronger athlete. He might need the pay days.

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/hot-bbq-sauce-and-chipolte-ketchup-now-stockrandom-thoughts

Some nice shots at Mir also.

I can see it before my eyes...
They brawl for a minute or two, Fedor connects at some point. Lesnar is rocked/shocked a bit, grabs Fedor, presses him against the cage and takes him to the ground. Pummels him for a while. Fedor is cut & bleeding, however he still manages to submit Lesnar's ass.

Brian Fellows said:
Randleman is faster than Lesnar. Lesnar did not look quick in this fight, Mir was giving him fits in the stand up. I don't think he is as strong as Lesnar but he did have the freakish explosive strength to pick Fedor up over his head and drive him head first into the canvas.

sooperkool said:
The only problem I see is that until TUF 10 is over or they sign Fedor there really isn't any reason to get excited for upcoming Lesnar fights. Sort of like after Tyson unified the belts there wasn't really any compelling reason to watch him fight other than for the spectacle. If not for the fact that he self destructed the rest of his reign would have been fairly uneventful.

but Tyson was still a huge draw even after he cleaned out the HW division and was fighting tomato cans, because he was such a polarizing and interesting figure. People that hated him watched to see if he'd lose, people that liked him just wanted to see him demolish somone.

yacobod

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
God I hate Mark Coleman. I hope whoever he fights next beats him to within an inch of his life.

:/

for a 44 year old man that gasses on his way down to the octagon, he hasnt embaressed himself in his last 2 fights after a long layoff w/out fighting

DD-11

Boogie said:
Umm, okaayyyyyy.

How many times in the Fitch fight did GSP drop Fitch like a sack of potatoes? If Fitch wasn't the frickin' terminator, we'd be talking about GSP's brutal KO in that fight.

And again, in the Penn fight, he mixed his standing combinations with his groundwork. He beat BJ everywhere.

And last night, we saw absolute perfect in takedown timing.

I absolutely disagree with any suggestion of characterizing GSP as a Lay and Prayer.

Yeah...

GSP fights lead to celebratory boozing lead to Boogie going something something.

Crazy? Don't mind if I do...

I really need someone to keep me away from GAF the night after events like this one. Sorry guys :lol

Ya, I think I agree with your assessment here, Stoney. I'll always get giddy like a schoolgirl hearing Dana talk about putting in the effort to sign Fedor, but rationally, I have a hard time seeing it happen.

But then again, Affliction is probably going to be dead come August 2nd, so we'll see what happens after that.

Fitch isn't a striker, and he didn't strike with BJ until he was done. He didn't strike with sera either. I'm not saying he isn't great or that he lays and prays, because he is great and he doesn't lay and pray, but that doesn't mean that he's an interesting fighter to watch.

My friends asked me who I thought was going to win, and I said he's going to gsp him, ie. take him down every chance he gets. It's a smart strategy and he executes it well, but we've seen it a half a dozen times and it's dull.

That said, no one has been able to go 5 rounds with gsp and take as little damage as Alves did. It was incredible. No one has been able to get up every single time either. That guy is a monster and is only going to get better.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
yacobod said:
:/

for a 44 year old man that gasses on his way down to the octagon, he hasnt embaressed himself in his last 2 fights after a long layoff w/out fighting

He's just one of the most boring fighters of all time and he went to OSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom