• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of HipHopGamer's race thing:

Isn't it pretty weird that they decided not to include a black Knight of the Round, though? I mean, Sir Morien probably would have made a pretty badass dude if he was slicing oncoming spears in half and shit. Guy was described as looking as "black as his armor." Could be a pretty awesome character design if Ready at Dawn had their hands on it. Are there any people of color at all in The Order? I sure as hell know they were around in Victorian England.

tumblr_mzccxnTI5A1ssmm02o1_500.jpg

Review scores aren't all powerful. They'll damage the long tale, but that isn't where the majority of the money is. Rad will be fine.
How often does a game with God-tier graphics and backed by strong marketing bomb in terms of sales? I'd guess this game will do pretty damn well.

Whether they make enough to cover the costs of the game's long development cycle is another question.

SlickVic

Disappointing, but perhaps only surprising to the extent of how low these scores have gotten for a "big budget exclusive". The previews and general impressions never really painted The Order as something that was going to set a new standard for third person shooters, but at the very least, I was expecting something that would average scores in the 70's to low 80's. And by that I mean a game that would be decently fun to play with a least some niche that made it stand out in the very crowded shooter genre. But the general vibe I've gotten from these reviews is "you've already played better games in this genre, and this game doesn't bring anything new to the table". Obviously I haven't played the game to confirm that, but if true, that's a damn shame.

Opiate

damn that dude is not working with a full set up there. what a profoundly ridiculous comment

He could be. An endless stream of platitudes without any critical faculties strikes me as a particularly lucrative line of work in the video game industry.

On the subject of HipHopGamer's race thing:

Isn't it pretty weird that they decided not to include a black Knight of the Round, though? I mean, Sir Morien probably would have made a pretty badass dude if he was slicing oncoming spears in half and shit. Guy was described as looking as "black as his armor." Could be a pretty awesome character design if Ready at Dawn had their hands on it. Are there any people of color at all in The Order? I sure as hell know they were around in Victorian England.

tumblr_mzccxnTI5A1ssmm02o1_500.jpg

I was hoping they'd have a badass Sikh knight, but I guess I'll have to wait for The Order: 1914 or The Order: 1945

d2dd54921e2567c4c19470704b17b4bf.jpeg

Seventy70

HHG made some good points in that video.

He didn't say that. He is saying that you can criticize a game but you shouldn't actively tell people not to buy it.

Isn't that the very job of game reviewers? At the end of their reviews they often say whether they think it's worth buying or not. That doesn't mean everyone has to follow what they say.
I was hoping they'd have a badass Sikh knight, but I guess I'll have to wait for The Order: 1914 or The Order: 1945

d2dd54921e2567c4c19470704b17b4bf.jpeg
Baddass. The mustaches would be perfect.

Toxi

Banned
Hip-Hop gamer commented on his video.
For those that got my points wrong regarding the order and racism i hope this clear things up even more.

1. Fanboys is similiar to racism in terms of the racist trait why? Because fake gamers refuse to play games on playstation or nintendo or microsoft simply cause its on that platform. EX: Sony Fanboy - Im not playing sunset overdrive because its on the xbox one and i dont like xbox because its xbox, and vice versa.

2. THE ORDER as many other games get similiar treatment of hate when there is never a reason for the negativity. 1 or 5 or 10 hours dont matter experiences do thats it so why so much hate for something the world hasnt experienced yet. Same type of racist trait.

3. I love games just like yall but i despise hate so i live a life style of love even when the love is tough. 
I can't tell whether he's trolling or seriously believes this. I'm gonna lean towards trolling.

Amir0x

Banned
He could be. An endless stream of platitudes without any critical faculties strikes me as a particularly lucrative line of work in the video game industry.

haha damn Opiate, that was an unusually razor edged comment from you lol

you cut deep as hell too when you do it hehe

Jimrpg

I think it's fair to say when a game has terrible gameplay then the reviews are not going to be good. Historically speaking. Secondly a lot of the previews have shown pretty basic TPS elements and QTEs which the general gaming community are not very fond of. Yet The Order is full of these things. And I think these are things that someone at the top should have said "hey I don't think gamers like these things" and that they are probably going to have a negative reaction. These are things that could have easily been redesigned and saved The Order a long time before the game actually came out.

ElyrionX

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

This has to be a joke.

joecanada

How often does a game with God-tier graphics and backed by strong marketing bomb in terms of sales? I'd guess this game will do pretty damn well.

Whether they make enough to cover the costs of the game's long development cycle is another question.

I have no love or hate for the game but what I definitely won't look forward to if it sells well are the destiny - esque threads about why did destiny sell so well?
And the usual shit tier posts
"people are stupid "
" f2p addiction complex"
" dudebros"
" bungie + acti "

These are actual responses just off the top of my head

QuikNez

He didn't say that. He is saying that you can criticize a game but you shouldn't actively tell people not to buy it.

Why not?

Freedom of speech; if you feel compelled to state your opinion on the low value proposition of a product, then you should be able to.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Disappointing, but perhaps only surprising to the extent of how low these scores have gotten for a "big budget exclusive". The previews and general impressions never really painted The Order as something that was going to set a new standard for third person shooters, but at the very least, I was expecting something that would average scores in the 70's to low 80's. And by that I mean a game that would be decently fun to play with a least some niche that made it stand out in the very crowded shooter genre. But the general vibe I've gotten from these reviews is "you've already played better games in this genre, and this game doesn't bring anything new to the table". Obviously I haven't played the game to confirm that, but if true, that's a damn shame.

And it's not? To be honest, a straightforward game of this type seems a bit rare these days. The vibe I'm getting from people playing the game (not necessarily critics, but also impressions here) is that it's a gorgeous game that sets a new visual standard, features quality production values, has fun core mechanics, but is still a little rough around the edges and not fleshed out enough. Overall, a strong core that with (hopefully) a sequel they can greatly expand and improve.

This gen more than ever my tastes have greatly diverged from what the critics have liked. They're pretty eager to be overly dismissive, yet the most fun I've had are from games like Destiny and DriveClub, that were generally panned by the critics.

Seems like new IPs in general have a ton of difficulty this generation. Critics have an impossibly high standard for them to come out of the gate and be best in class, meanwhile games that have stagnated for years continue to come out and receive positive review scores. Why the double standard exists, I have no clue, but it's a bit frustrating witnessing it.

Failing to see what's wrong with the comment.

Am I slow?

He's saying that game criticism is a terrible thing, because people make games to make a living. So saying bad things about games that make people not want to buy them is taking food out of children's mouths. Won't someone please think of the children?

It's only when you step back and realize that this kind of bland consumer cowardice can be applied to anything, that you realize he's just extremely sensitive about anyone knocking his favorite games.

the true shame in this is Sony finally spent money to put some damn tv ads out there.. and well it doesn't look like it was warranted. i pre-ordered and look forward to playing the game tomorrow nonetheless.

which is hilarious, considering his whole (extremely thin) argument is hinged on his misinterpretation of a Polygon article from last November and a misunderstanding of the definition of critical.

Opiate

He's saying that game criticism is a terrible thing, because people make games to make a living. So saying bad things about games that make people not want to buy them is taking food out of children's mouths. Won't someone please think of the children?

It's only when you step back and realize that this kind of bland consumer cowardice can be applied to anything, that you realize he's just extremely sensitive about anyone knocking his favorite games.

Absolutely. People are out there making a living making toilet paper; people are out there making a living putting tea bags together; people are out there putting dell computers together; people are out there making soap operas.

Any time you publicly state that any of these products is poorly manufactured, you endanger the jobs of those who make them. By this logic, you should literally never criticize anything ever, because it could potentially endanger the job of whoever made that thing.

As you state, this attitude is indistinguishable from a corporate shill.

Despera

Banned
I think it's fair to say when a game has terrible gameplay then the reviews are not going to be good. Historically speaking. Secondly a lot of the previews have shown pretty basic TPS elements and QTEs which the general gaming community are not very fond of. Yet The Order is full of these things. And I think these are things that someone at the top should have said "hey I don't think gamers like these things" and that they are probably going to have a negative reaction. These are things that could have easily been redesigned and saved The Order a long time before the game actually came out.
The first step should always be coming up with a gameplay concept that you are confident is enjoyable. Once that foundation is established you can start thinking of all the other stuff.

Isn't that the very job of game reviewers? At the end of their reviews they often say whether they think it's worth buying or not. That doesn't mean everyone has to follow what they say.

A reviewer's job is to evaluate the game. Analyze the pros and cons. The reader can then make their judgement based off of the content of the review whether or not they should buy the game.

Opiate

Hip hop gamer trying harder for that complimentary review copy than you're working on being remodded.

I know this is just a congenial jab, but Amirox and I have been friends for quite some time now. Since before I was a mod, let alone before he lost his own moderator status.

Opiate

What an absolute dickish way to go about it.

Wait? McElroy?

Well then...
games-journalismaf8t.gif

I don't disagree with this general sentiment, but I find that many people are only "lol games journalism" when games journalism is intensely critical of a game they like or a game they haven't played yet but which they are greatly anticipating.

I would argue that whatever problems game journalism has are significantly fueled by precisely this behavior; when the audience that consumes game journalism becomes intensely hostile whenever they review a game poorly -- the Nintendo fans get upset any time a big Nintendo IP gets a bad review, the Sony fans get upset whenever a big Sony IP gets a bad review, and so forth -- then the logical end result will be muted criticism.

And that, I think, is the most reasonable criticism of games journalism, if there is any criticism at all; they are reluctant to harshly review and preview games, particularly games that have a lot of hype, because many people who have been anticipating a particular game for years don't want to have their parade rained on.

I didn't mean to offend. Just generate some laughs.

You didn't offend. I like your posts a great deal.

Loakum

Banned
I'll never understand the gleeful, almost celebratory atmosphere about a game receiving bad reviews. This is bizarre, to put it mildly. I mean, if it's not to your liking, then it's not to your liking, but all this high five-ing and spiking the football, is a bit much.

Luke_Wal

What an absolute dickish way to go about it.

Wait? McElroy?

Well then...
games-journalismaf8t.gif

Clearly a joke. He runs a comedy podcast on the side; the guys knows a thing or two about goofs. Personally, I think that tweet's hilarious, especially because if you listen to the episode of Quality Control where he talks about his review of it or read is review, the game's length isn't even close to the top of his list with problems with the game.

A reviewer's job is to evaluate the game. Analyze the pros and cons. The reader can then make their judgement based off of the content of the review whether or not they should buy the game.

A review of a consumer product is to tell you if the product is worth buying, full stop. This goes for phones, TVs, computers, movies, books, cars, hell, even yelp restaurant reviews.

oneils

Gross and unprofessional:

xjDX20Gl.jpg

Journalists are taking the piss now at this stage. Not fair on the devs who spent 5 years of their lives creating this game.

Huh? They are not allowed to tell a joke? Besides have you ever seen a 2 minute movie trailer that manages to spoil the entire movie? Maybe he actually isn't telling a joke but properly warning everyone.

Luke_Wal

And that, I think, is the most reasonable criticism of games journalism, if there is any criticism at all; they are reluctant to harshly criticize games, particularly games that have a lot of hype, because many people who have been anticipating a particular game for years don't want to have their parade rained on.

While I might argue that some sites definitely do suffer from this (IGN in particular, as much as I like a lot of the people there, seem to give most big games a pass just on the merit of being big games), I think that some sites, and Polygon in particular, AREN'T afraid to be intensely critical of a game, no matter its popularity. Honestly, I think that's why a lot of people don't like Gies; he says criticisms that I usually find really valid once I think about them that a lot of people are afraid to say.

Game4life

Banned
And it's not? To be honest, a straightforward game of this type seems a bit rare these days. The vibe I'm getting from people playing the game (not necessarily critics, but also impressions here) is that it's a gorgeous game that sets a new visual standard, features quality production values, has fun core mechanics, but is still a little rough around the edges and not fleshed out enough. Overall, a strong core that with (hopefully) a sequel they can greatly expand and improve.

It is a good thing something unambitious like this is rare. If it were common the industry would be worse of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom