• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I'm pretty sure this should be obvious to everyone, but let me spell this out for you.

Roger Ebert is one of the most important figures in the history of cinema, and certainly one of the most well-known and respected critics of media OF ALL TIME.

So when he writes a review like that, after 40+ years of writing about film, it means something. He earned the right.

Games journalists haven't even earned the right to have me trust that they do even the most basic fact-checking (looking at you, Polygon).
Most film critics write like that, not just Siskel and Ebert. The idea that you have to earn the right to laugh at an entertainment product is fucking ludicrous.

enemy variety - can make this complaint about almost any game, expecially shooters
weapon variety - lol, I don't even believe this one... especially from comments I've been reading
insta-fail stealth QTE's - I enjoy stealth sequences in games... I don't even understand the hate for them
extreme hald-holding - I'm not a fan of this, but pretty much all games do it now
linear corridors with zero exploration - linear games >> open games for me
anti-cllimactic ending - yah, that would indeed suck
lack of real "wow" moments - would suck as well
pick your poison - Honey Jack + 7up
If you think you'll enjoy it, then pick it up.

Seventy70

Once again making the movie connection, no one called Ebert out as unprofessional when he wrote the Deuce Bigalow 2 review that shat all over it:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/deuce-bigalow-european-gigolo-2005

Instead everyone laughed at that shitty movie and thought the review was entertaining, some say it's one of Ebert's best reviews even.

bad movies and music don't warrant any respect from critics, why should games be any different?
Bu-bu-but Gamez journalizmssss!!!!

Perhaps you should finish the game first, then comment on whether you feel the reviewers were wrong or right.

It shouldn't take long. Just be patient.

Nowhere in my post did I mention anyone bring wrong or right. Its more a matter of not letting negative reviews prevent me from buying a game or swaying my opinion. Did you come here to tell me that I will hate the game as well? Thanks but no thanks.

Frillen

What are the largest complaints about the game? Because

- unskippable cut scenes don't bother me, I always choose to watch them
- frequent cutscenes don't bother me, story is my #1 element in a game
- 6-8 hour length doesn't bother me, it means I'll actually finish it, and my GF may actually watch

I'm leaning more and more towards a purchase... even though I keep telling myself I shouldn't until a price drop, or just rent it. But I feel this will be a major part of PS4's legacy one way or another.

The biggest complaints:

1) Too short (3-4 hours of pure gameplay). Not only is it short, but it has zero replay value. Like there's nothing after you beat it. Other games in the same genre either have a multiplayer mode, co-op mode, challenge mode, or hell even a new game+ mode. The game couldn't even have a new game+ mode though since there's no unlockables or even an upgrade system.

2) Too bare bones in its gameplay structure. Cut scenes followed by sections of regular shooting/cover sections. Nothing special outside of a few forced stealth sections, which are more annoying than they do good. Rinse and repeat. No upgrade system when it comes to weapons, nothing.

3) Hand holding gameplay. There are times when you can't even move in a 3D space, because the game wants you to do exactly what they want you to do. There are times mid game where you think you're still playing the tutorial. There are times when the game takes the control away from you for no reason at all.

4) Some QTE heavy segments, especially in the beginning. Last part spoiler:
the last boss is a QTE boss, basically.

5) The Lycan encounters are very repetitive and are probably the least interesting enemies in the game, even though they really shouldn't be considering the competition.

6) The Thermite weapon is cool. Unfortunately you only use it three times during the game.

7) Unskippable cut scenes are annoying if you want to do a second run or you want to collect collectibles. The game doesn't even track what collectibles you've collected.

8) There are chapters in the game where you don't even control the character. This is a video game. Yeah, I know, cinematic experience yada yada... Still.

9) It's super linear. There are times when the enemies can't even flank you because the pathway ahead is too linear.

10) Underwhelming story.

At first I was confused on why Sony would allowed the type of project the Order is to continue development, but then I remembered Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. So Sony is not afraid on heavy QTE interactive games and I'm sure Sony is proud of what RAD has accomplished in the Order.

Only if it sells well. Both Heavy Rain and Beyond did IIRC. I think The Order will as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
At first I was confused on why Sony would allowed the type of project the Order is to continue development, but then I remembered Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls. So Sony is not afraid on heavy QTE interactive games and I'm sure Sony is proud of what RAD has accomplished in the Order.
Honestly, the game has this weird stigma of being heavy on QTE sequences but it really is not.

There really aren't many QTEs in the game.

Most of it is mixed between cinematics, where you do nothing but watch, sequences where you walk around the environment, and actual shooting. It's not really a QTE focused game at all.

I'm leaning more and more towards a purchase... even though I keep telling myself I shouldn't until a price drop, or just rent it. But I feel this will be a major part of PS4's legacy one way or another.
Honestly, based on your tastes, you probably won't be disappointed. I genuinely enjoyed it myself. All of the complaints are valid but, somehow, I still thought it was a cool experience and worth going through. While playing it before release, though, it was pretty clear to me that most people would probably hate it.

LastNac

The Order just seems like a game that would prefer that you didn't interact with it. That's what irks me.

I think that's unfair criticism truthfully, but it does highlight one of my qualms I have with it.

I don't think The Order trusts you to be respectful with its story.

I'm on Chapter 4 and am really, really enjoying it so far. People confuse writing with overall story for some reason. The actual writing(dialogue) is damn good, I cant speak to the story though, only a third of the way through.

Also, I love the methodical nature of the pace. Really well balanced in terms of the actual game-play pace.

Honestly, my problem with The Order is the same problem I had with UC2. It doesn't seem to trust you with playing the story elements. I noticed in the Prologue(which is a great microcosm of my problems so far) that there were so many moments that could have been playable/interactive and still have maintained the presentation offered. So far there have been several moments where I am looking at the screen and wondering "Why wont you just let me play this but still use this level of framing?" as opposed to just watching it.

Regardless of any contention, UC3 was a leap forward in that it always had you interacting with Drake, be it pushing the stick forward to peel him off tall the bathroom stall wall or pushing the stick forward to get him off his feet. Even though there is objectively more cutscenes in UC3 than UC2, UC3 just felt more playable overall. I just dont know why Galahad moving across a wall has to be a cutscene as opposed to me pushing him across the wall, etc.

That's my biggest problem so far.

You sound like you'd publish a review of the game after playing it halfway through...

So I can't contribute my own personal, first impressions? Sorry it doesn't fall in line with the negative reviews from the professional gamers who have a platform to convey their ideas, and sorry I don't hate the game thus far.

Ferrio

Banned
The biggest complaints:

4) The Thermite weapon is cool. Unfortunately you only use it three times during the game.

Watching it last night I was actually really really surprised how awesome that weapon was. Then they took it from him and I was like "Whaaaaaa..." The design is so brilliant and stupid at the same time.

Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Half Life 2
Portal 1 and 2
The Telltale games Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 1 and the first episode of Tales of The Borderlands (Which has some of the funniest writing I have seen for a while now in general)
Final Fantasy 7
The Witcher 1 and 2
Kotor
Spec Ops the Line
Metal Gear Solid 3 (You say B grade espionage and I say bullshit, what B grade movies are you comparing it to? Story and writing is better than most 007 movies)
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (Again this has been listed as B grade and I actually want to know why this games story isn't as good as Star Wars. The characters again are by far the most memorable.)
Red Dead Redemption
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Call of Duty Modern warfare 4
Uncharted 2
The Darkness

I am actually pretty sure I can find a lot more as well since I haven't even gone much into the older RPG's like Baldur's gate and I don't play many JRPG's except some final fantasy games also indei games.

You brush off games like Silent Hill 2 and The Last of Us as ok and I would love to see the movies that have come out in the past year that beat them in terms of writing.

I would really love to see why you think all these games are comparable to B grade movies (The room, sharknado, Birdemic and whatever piece of shit movie you can think of because they all mostly fall into B grade)

You are saying the best written games are only comparable to mediocre action movies which is just ridiculous, throwing them all under the bus like that is just lazy. As I have said many times the experience from games can easily be better than movies and that's because of great writing and gameplay blending into one another. Horror games are shit all over horror movies, the writing in the Walking dead is better than the TV series, Uncharted 2 was more enjoyable than 90% of the action movies that have come out last year and I happily compare it to the Indian Jones movies, and it being a lot better than Crystal Skull.

You can say the very best movies are better than the best games but I think dismissing them all as no better than medicore action movies? We must be playing different games or something.
I don't think it's ridiculous. I haven't seen anything from video games that I consider to be any better then those movies.

I don't agree that horror games shit all over horror movies, and you're also picking what is seen as one of the worst genres in film history when it comes to writing, so it's not exactly an accomplishment. Horror movies are about at the same level as action movies are when it comes to writing. Just as the Walking Dead game being better then the show (Which I also don't agree with, as I couldn't even finish the first season of the game out of boredom) isn't exactly an accomplishment either, as Walking Dead show doesn't have very good writing in the first place. It's essentially a weekly horror movie, which I've already pointed out are not really known for their writing in the first place, generally. It frequently has bad pacing, under developed characters and a meandering plot. So it's not exactly a high bar you're shooting for.

I think you just have a lower bar as to what you think good writing is then I do.

"[...]

"there is a serious disconnect with the vast majority of people who have actually played this game (even those that were not that interested in it) and what the reviewers would have you to believe"

This is also happening all of you in this thread that have not played the game slamming it as if the reviews are gospel. There is something off with everything surrounding this entire situation.

Seriously? A conspiracy against RAD/Sony? Look, I love the PS4 (even if it's my friend's), and have enjoyed a lot of time on the platform. I also love RAD's previous works on the PSP, with Daxter being a rather sweet memory of years past.

But this game just isn't very good... It's beautifully rendered, it has a great sense of atmosphere and the gunplay is pretty damn satisfying. It's just that everything else about the game is so... average. Not the worst thing ever to be made, but certainly not a good game.

Plus, even if I'm not too terribly bothered by long cutscense (although unskippable is unreasonable and hurts replayability), the constant action prompts and reuse of overly boring QTEs is a HUGE negative for me.

Most of these posts are opinions, for better or for worse. I'd hope that folks could at least respect that without resorting to thinking we're all in on this trying to take down RAD and this franchise (which I hope it becomes). It reminds me quite a lot of Assassin's Creed 1. Decent foundation for a good series, as long as it's not overplayed.

Bumhead

Banned

Agreed.

Internally I imagine both Sony and RAD are pleased with The Order 1886. We've got no indication this is anything other than the exact product they set out to design. There's not been any talk of development hell, changes of vision or the like. They've made it, pretty much exactly as they've always talked about, and released a working product. It's a shame the reviews aren't higher, but it's the product they wanted to make.

I think the game will do OK for itself in terms of both sales and word of mouth from players.

It was probably either Super Mario Bros, Virtua Fighter, Doom, or Super Mario 64 depending on what you consider most important.

Don't tell me people are seriously saying The Order is our Citizen Kane? Nah-uh, forget that noise!

It's 3:2 ratio, but that's still too damn much. You are paying $20 an hour (just about) for actual interactive play time. Not even the movies are that bad with value-for-dollar.

That is assuming everyone finishes the game in 5 hours bro. We already know that is NOT the case so I'm not sure why you are running with this number. Every game can be completed in way less time than the average time but that is not the norm. I know how I play games and just about every time I finish a game it takes me way longer than what the lowest play time is. I fully expect to finish this in about 9 to 10 hours. You are taking the worst case scenario and using that as example which is not realistic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nowhere in my post did I mention anyone bring wrong or right. Its more a matter of not letting negative reviews prevent me from buying a game or swaying my opinion. Did you come here to tell me that I will hate the game as well? Thanks but no thanks.

Do you ignore positive reviews or is it only negative ones? =P Do you ignore all reviews? Obviously not, you're in this thread.

I don't know if you'll hate the game or not. Why not finish it first? You're 1/3 through the game. =)

Ishan

Agreed.

Internally I imagine both Sony and RAD are pleased with The Order 1886. We've got no indication this is anything other than the exact product they set out to design. There's not been any talk of development hell, changes of vision or the like. They've made it, pretty much exactly as they've always talked about, and released a working product. It's a shame the reviews aren't higher, but it's the product they wanted to make.

I think the game will do OK for itself in terms of both sales and word of mouth from players.

agree but im sure sony is concerned about the metacritic ratings of its first party/second party output lately. heavy rain was pretty well received but post tlou everything has been decent (infamous) , so so (killzone) to bad (order). But then again nd and ssm haven't shown their hand yet and im pretty sure bloodborne will be the first real goty contender.

Gestault

Watching it last night I was actually really really surprised how awesome that weapon was. Then they took it from him and I was like "Whaaaaaa..." The design is so brilliant and stupid at the same time.

I honestly didn't understand this: They very deliberately introduce a gameplay mechanic, but then don't actually capitalize on it in terms of broader gameplay. In a game where it would be quite easy to conceptualize a scenario for equipment that breaks down barriers, but is also basically a calling card for surrounding threats, imagine a boss encounter (for example) where you're trapped in a subterranean sewer-way with a larger, slower enemy. You need to get from one side of that zone to the other, clearing derelict piping blocking the pathway, but not alerting the resident threat.

I would LOVE to see segments like that.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Agreed.

I think WoM is going to devastate this game.

Do you ignore positive reviews or is it only negative ones? =P Do you ignore all reviews? Obviously not, you're in this thread.

I don't know if you'll hate the game or not. Why not finish it first? You're 1/3 through the game. =)

I don't pay attention to any reviews. Thanks for letting me know how long the game I would have never know without your snarky comments.

Edit: for those of you in here who are seriously considering buying the game I suggest you form your own opinion and don't let the reviews deter you. Buy it used, borrow it or whatever you want.

GobFather

I think that's unfair criticism truthfully, but it does highlight one of my qualms I have with it.

I don't think The Order trusts you to be respectful with its story.

I'm on Chapter 4 and am really, really enjoying it so far. People confuse writing with overall story for some reason. The actual writing(dialogue) is damn good, I cant speak to the story though, only a third of the way through.

Also, I love the methodical nature of the pace. Really well balanced in terms of the actual game-play pace.

Honestly, my problem with The Order is the same problem I had with UC2. It doesn't seem to trust you with playing the story elements. I noticed in the Prologue(which is a great microcosm of my problems so far) that there were so many moments that could have been playable/interactive and still have maintained the presentation offered. So far there have been several moments where I am looking at the screen and wondering "Why wont you just let me play this but still use this level of framing?" as opposed to just watching it.

Regardless of any contention, UC3 was a leap forward in that it always had you interacting with Drake, be it pushing the stick forward to peel him off tall the bathroom stall wall or pushing the stick forward to get him off his feet. Even though there is objectively more cutscenes in UC3 than UC2, UC3 just felt more playable overall. I just dont know why Galahad moving across a wall has to be a cutscene as opposed to me pushing him across the wall, etc.

That's my biggest problem so far.

Thanks for your quick review. It's nice to hear from other Gaffers who has/is playing it :p

I don't pay attention to any reviews. Thanks for letting me know how long the game I would have never know without your snarky comments.

I saw that.. I was like... that was unnecessary. It's ok, if people decide to dislike the game and would never buy it... stop giving other people a hard time lol :p

Smash88

Banned
That's fair.

I just fall in the latter category who enjoys the content described above. I don't know, perhaps it'd be more accurate to call it Interactive Entertainment or something to make it less divisive. In my mind they're all video games, but that's another discussion entirely.

One thing I've noticed with the more successful narrative games is that they've broken free of the typical game tropes that have shackled the industry for the past 30 years. The stories are more intimate and personal. The characters are not saddled with saving the world. There's generally no combat or violence. Many of the more interesting new breed take place in 100% normal settings with 100% normal/mundane characters.

After decades of playing the comic book superhero in games, I find this deviation to everyday normal refreshing as hell. There will always be a place for Micheal Bay bombast and urgency. I'm just digging the diversity that is emerging thanks to self-publishing, digital distribution and varying price points. I think it give the developer more opportunities to take chances on niche game types and the consumer more choices in game selection.

A win/win, imo.

I agree we could sit here until we are blue in the face to argue about what falls under the "video game" title.

I do feel as technology progresses we can allow for more open world gameplay, where the user can do what he/she wants to. Games are evolving (for the better) and I'm excited to see where they go.

But here is where my argument somewhat falters, and something I'm trying to understand, if games are linear are they all just interactive entertainment games (movie-esque games) - I guess for a large part of these past two generation devs have been trying to emulate the movie industry in some way? You are technically going in one direction, getting past "arenas" to hit the next bit of spoon fed information ala Gears of War. Some games offer a bit more freedom in how you approach it, but for the most part games are stuck in the mold of the player being placed in a large arena and asked to go from point A to B in order to progress through the storyline laid forth. This is where games like GTA differentiate and break that mold, and that is what makes them so fun and beloved - and the best selling video game in modern gaming.

I think with The Order 1886 failures are: the pricepoint, the pre-release hype, and what turned out to be a game based on game that came nearly 10 years ago really didn't help its case. All this for what amounted to a 5 year development time - something was seriously mismanaged for the game to turn out so uninspired and bland.

agree but im sure sony is concerned about the metacritic ratings of its first party/second party output lately. heavy rain was pretty well received but post tlou everything has been decent (infamous) , so so (killzone) to bad (order). But then again nd and ssm haven't shown their hand yet and im pretty sure bloodborne will be the first real goty contender.

I think the developers care about the metacritic because they want to see what people think about their creation, however bottom line for publishers is the sales number. As long as it sells they will be happy.

Kintaro

Oh lighten up. =)

Also, this is a lie. You're in a review thread. So, you obviously do pay attention. At least a little. Enough to post in fact.

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy (rent) too. So, I can see if the reviewers are right or wrong as well.

Ishan

That is because contrary to what the paid critics think, gamers have a brain and smart enough to sort through the bullshit.

pppfffff what?? if anything its the average gamer who is more swayed by the insane marketing behind this game. The last time sony pushed a game this much was tlou and that was a genuine masterpiece. I expect lots of disappointed ppl especially if they go in expecting something of tomb raider caliber (not going to even bother comparing it to tlou/uc2).

I expecdt this game will do well just because of the marketing push behind it. Inspite of informed opinions from critics otherwise. While I agree some of the critics were a bit too harsh and many of the twitter jokes are very unprofessional. The general consensus is that this is not a good game.

I can see where you are coming from (although Gone Home was easily the worst out of all them, that was just an interactive story) but I feel there isn't really a place for video game movies. They sacrifice too much of what is a video game to be like a movie. If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd go do just that, why does the industry feel the need to emulate something that has been around longer and does it better? If they want to go direct their C-List movie then go do that, but it just doesn't fit in this medium.

Some games have managed to accomplish this, such as the Telltale Walking Dead games. I theorize this is due to the extremely cheap cost per episode, the bite-sized content, not more than 1 hour, and it is done very well. They managed to come up with a successful formula that works, but there have been cuts to the overall game itself - something we don't view as a $60 8-12 hour experience, which has become synonymous with games these days. I think the price, the time, the overall bland and uninspired gameplay (which is based on Gears of War - which came out nearly 10 years ago), the (major spoilers)
final boss which is the same as the first encounter with the wolf monster and ends in a QTE battle[/spoilers], half of the game being cutscenes, and lastly the awful implementation of QTE (which is at every corner). They made too many compromises to try and get their movie vision out the door, which is obvious by the overall poor combat/story. It's no wonder it didn't do well by reviewers.

Of course there will be some people that enjoy this type of content. But for a good portion of gamers they look to a more fulfilling experience and not a movie-esque game, if I wanted a movie I'd go watch it.

Let hypothesize for a second, that the game had solid gameplay and a solid story, the game would just be a gears of war clone. They haven't added on to the formula, they haven't revolutionized or made any changes to how current games function. After nearly 10 years I would've expected more than just another GoW.
But why should we restrict the medium to what should be and what isn't? Gone Home is my GOTY in 2013 and you will find me one of the most ardent criticizers of "modern" game experiences to-date. I always look for the context within a game rather than set an arbitrary what-games-are checklist before I presume judgement of the game/IP.

Back on Topic:

I have always constantly point out that the RaD lack the focus, or should I say, deliberately ignoring the standards of how it would be compared against during their early reveals.

I've highlighted the fact that if they couldn't find anything to showcase to combat early criticisms in their next few reveals, than it would mean they truly have nothing of substance to show or they are saving the best aspects till release date. Time and time again, the writing on the wall is getting more pronounced and only until the reviews dropped in did it validate all the issues from years back. The delay, did NOTHING, to quell concerns and yet the game is getting massive hype despite its lackadaisical showing. Expectations went way worse when the LEAD developer is putting "gameplay" as a negative connotation... in the games industry. All of the pieces indicated this would be a catastrophic failure (review wise)

Some even defended the fact that the 3 month delay would make some drastic "changes" even though I debated that it would be impractical to make significant gameplay amendments in that period as it is usually the time period reserved for polish and bug checking.

I guess people have banked their past history as a solid foundation to earn their trust. But that doesn't mean you can turn a blind eye when reveals upon reveals and hands-on impressions from GAF to media alike is confirming what we have been suspicious from the very start. If this game fails sales-wise than it clearly dispels the myth that the "graphics" will win the majority audience.

KooopaKid

Banned
Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Half Life 2
Portal 1 and 2
The Telltale games Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead Season 1 and the first episode of Tales of The Borderlands (Which has some of the funniest writing I have seen for a while now in general)
Final Fantasy 7
The Witcher 1 and 2
Kotor
Spec Ops the Line
Metal Gear Solid 3 (You say B grade espionage and I say bullshit, what B grade movies are you comparing it to? Story and writing is better than most 007 movies)
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (Again this has been listed as B grade and I actually want to know why this games story isn't as good as Star Wars. The characters again are by far the most memorable.)
Red Dead Redemption
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Call of Duty Modern warfare 4
Uncharted 2
The Darkness

I am actually pretty sure I can find a lot more as well since I haven't even gone much into the older RPG's like Baldur's gate and I don't play many JRPG's except some final fantasy games also indei games.

You brush off games like Silent Hill 2 and The Last of Us as ok and I would love to see the movies that have come out in the past year that beat them in terms of writing.

I would really love to see why you think all these games are comparable to B grade movies (The room, sharknado, Birdemic and whatever piece of shit movie you can think of because they all mostly fall into B grade)

You are saying the best written games are only comparable to mediocre action movies which is just ridiculous, throwing them all under the bus like that is just lazy. As I have said many times the experience from games can easily be better than movies and that's because of great writing and gameplay blending into one another. Horror games are shit all over horror movies, the writing in the Walking dead is better than the TV series, Uncharted 2 was more enjoyable than 90% of the action movies that have come out last year and I happily compare it to the Indian Jones movies, and it being a lot better than Crystal Skull.

You can say the very best movies are better than the best games but I think dismissing them all as no better than mediocre action movies? We must be playing different games or something.

When I wrote ok in front of SH2 and TLOU, I meant ok I agree those are good. Your list is pretty good but at best, it's not better than saturday matinee cartoons. And it's still a handful of games, 90% of the rest is not even worth mentioning. I'm just saying there's a huge room for improvement, and in The Order's case, who tried to make story as its main focus, failed by a large margin.

AzaK

Well looks like it's scoring exactly as it's been showing. When we first saw it in trailer form a lot of us were saying 'wow' because it looked gorgeous. Then we actually saw the gameplay a while later and the feeling seemed to be 'looks pretty mediocre'. It seems like that is exactly what it is.

It will sell millions.

Oh lighten up. =)

Also, this is a lie. You're in a review thread. So, you obviously do pay attention. At least a little. Enough to post in fact.

I'm looking forward to picking up my copy (rent) too. So, I can see if the reviewers are right or wrong as well.

I came in here to share my impressions so that others who do care about opinions of others outside of the "gaming journalists" can get all sides of the story. Not to read reviews. Enjoy.

I think you just have a lower bar as to what you think good writing is then I do.

I don't think you have a bar at all. Saying something like The expendables and Sharknado's writing is equivalent to gaming's best writing makes me think what you say is ridiculous and you just have something against writing in games in general for some strange reason.

GobFather

When I wrote ok in front of SH2 and TLOU, I meant ok I agree those are good. Your list is pretty good but at best, it's not better than saturday matinee cartoons. And it's still a handful of games, 90% of the rest is not even worth mentioning. I'm just saying there's a huge room for improvement, and in The Order's case, who tried to make story as its main focus, failed by a large margin.

What are you trying to imply?

Bluenoser

That is assuming everyone finishes the game in 5 hours bro. We already know that is NOT the case so I'm not sure why you are running with this number. Every game can be completed in way less time than the average time but that is not the norm. I know how I play games and just about every time I finish a game it takes me way longer than what the lowest play time is. I fully expect to finish this in about 9 to 10 hours. You are taking the worst case scenario and using that as example which is not realistic.

I'm shocked that play times can vary so much if there's truly nothing to explore, and the game does indeed hold your hand through every sequence. I mean, unless the timer keeps adding up if you die over and over, I guess the bad players might have higher times, but for the average-good players shouldn't they all be relatively close? (assuming you don't just leave your character standing there while you go to work for the day)

I feel that most negative comments comes from a place where people sense that taking control out of them is like a threat to the video game industry and could mean the end of the medium as we know it. From there comes the rest of the complains which I don't think are as bad as people say, ej: Story, gameplay, lenght.

There are stories praised as good that are pretty terrible, there are games with poor gameplay and AI but get a free pass, there are games with the same lenght but longer cinematics or just the same but people love them.

It's just a particular case, not a conspiracy or anything, I think people are just scared.

Just another game where I will have to play it and make up my own mind. What I've seen is enticing enough to warrant a purchase, and it seems some reviewers want to build some sort of narrative. That narrative is, since this game was first "demoed" that it would be severely lacking in gameplay and good ideas.

Derpyduck

Banned
I came in here to share my impressions so that others who do care about opinions of others outside of the "gaming journalists" can get all sides of the story. Not to read reviews. Enjoy.

This is a review thread. Not a "I don't pay attention to reviews, here's impressions that won't help you at all because I only played 2 chapters" thread.

I don't think you have a bar at all. Saying something like The expendables and Sharknado's writing is equivalent to gaming's best writing makes me think what you say is ridiculous and you just have something against writing in games in general for some strange reason.
You do understand that there are better action movies then Sharknado right? Because I never said every games story was as bad as Sharknado. There are action movies that are genuinely good movies, but they still aren't going to be the ones getting any awards or recognition in the writing category. I think Die Hard is an awesome movie, but if Die Hard had the best writing in the history of movies, movies would have a history of pretty bad writing.

I don't think it's ridiculous. I haven't seen anything from video games that I consider to be any better then those movies.

I don't agree that horror games shit all over horror movies, and you're also picking what is seen as one of the worst genres in film history when it comes to writing, so it's not exactly an accomplishment. Horror movies are about at the same level as action movies are when it comes to writing. Just as the Walking Dead game being better then the show (Which I also don't agree with, as I couldn't even finish the first season of the game out of boredom) isn't exactly an accomplishment either, as Walking Dead show doesn't have very good writing in the first place. It frequently has bad pacing, under developed characters and a meandering plot. So it's not exactly a high bar you're shooting for.

Movies are also filmed and condensed through editing to keep pacing and cohesion over a relatively short period of time. Games of any substantial length obviously have a much larger challenge of both length and interactivity. A lot of superbly written films would make horrible games because their story doesn't really accomodating lengthy interactivity. Just look at the varying quality of the LOTR games.

Even though it sounds like The Order struggles with finding a good happy medium with this formula, hopefully RAD establishes a good evough footprint to improve on this in the next game. Everybody saw the leaps that Uncharted made throughout the series, nothing says The Order won't follow suit.

Kintaro

Did you finish it?

Just wondering :)

Going to pick up the game for rent in a bit. =)

I don't know if I agree with the reviewers or not. However, I can see why these scores are the way they are based off my own playtime with the game prior to launch. I think they are entitled to their opinion and this "fuck them! What do they know!" attitude is pretty amusing when its something people got themselves hyped about.

I also have a personal interest in this as I run a video game store and, like many stores like it, I could lose a great many sales here. In fact, I've already lost 4 CE/LE preorders since yesterday. =/

Yes it is. By far. 90% of movies also don't warrant mentioning

I can't really comment on The Order but from what I've seen and heard it's got shitty pacing and is probably not worth defending it's writing but slapping all games as badly written is because of this games failures isn't fair to the medium. My point here is that the writing in games is most certainly not as bad as people seem to think and it's not just me that thinks this, go to any count down for best moments in gaming and see what has been created.

I can agree that the best movies can beat the best written games but what I won't agree on is the best writing in games being only B movie worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom