• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomShoe

Banned
Ready @ Dawn vs. the Internet

Kid%20hits%20cat_%20cat%20hits%20back.gif

Scoops

Banned

I like this.

I also like how journos are getting tougher. Gamers deserve better then a 7-10 ass kissing scale from the media, especially considering how expensive games are.

Go on metacritic and look at movies or music. Their thresholds for green, yellow and "universal acclaim" are lower because even Metacritic knows game critics go easy.

And it's not like 65 is a bad score for The Order. To me 65 denotes average or a C, and from most accounts that's what it seems to be. If the graphics had been sub par and/or it had been broken then that's what D and F (0-50 on a numeric scale) are reserved for.

I think a lot of negative comments are a reaction to the overwhelming defense this game is getting despite it appearing to be 'okay' at best. In my opinion, this game only has a strong defense force because it's an exclusive title that's been heavily pushed and marketed for ages. The game has had a negative pre-release reception because it has always looked pretty bad (gameplay-wise, not aesthetically). It's failed to impress at every showing and yet the hype train kept on chugging because it's an exclusive. Now it's out an is getting a negative reception and people who've invested a bunch of time and energy into anticipating it because the Sony marketing team told them they should are insisting that there's bias in the reviews and that the reviewers are being bullies. You never see this kind of stuff for multiplatform games.

Granted, a lot of people revelling in the game's reception happen to be doing so because they're stupidly loyal to the other side. I may just be projecting my opinion on all the other negative nancies, but in my opinion it's fun to watch people freaking out over this game's poor reception simply because it's an exclusive for their platform of choice.

Really? I don't know... this game won several events awards and yes, there were concerns from an equal amount of press sites but I never thought that it was an obvius bad game. Outside the controversy of cinematics and QTE I never thought that the gameplay showed was bad, I mean... is a TPS, how bad can it be? Which is the worst example and which is the best? and how different are those in mechanics? I can understand terrible level design, but that you couldn't know until you actually play the game, and from the AI part... I don't know, to me every game is pretty standard in that regard, Uncharted. Gears, Tomb Raider... enemies just hide or rush to you with some of them taking the flanks.

If you take Metacritic, the game is not bad, is just regular. If you take single reviews then is confusing... either is a very good game or mediocre at best... Which one tells the truth?

My opinion? Your own taste, the people that was excited for this game will be (actually IS) genuinely happy with the game, the other side of the table will hate it because the game is exactly like they thought it'd be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is a review thread. Not a "I don't pay attention to reviews, here's impressions that won't help you at all because I only played 2 chapters" thread.

So what if someone who has actually played the game around here is giving their early thoughts on it? You act as though this doesn't happen ever on GAF.

I value the opinion of a fellow GAF member more than journalists. Even if the game got fantastic scores I'd still want to see what other member's impressions were. Wouldn't you?

So what if someone who has actually played the game around here is giving their early thoughts on it? You act as though this doesn't happen ever on GAF.

I value the opinion of a fellow GAF member more than journalists. Even if the game got fantastic scores I'd still want to see what other member's impressions were. Wouldn't you?

In most cases, that makes sense. But this is The Order. This shit has been built up for years, nobody who bought this based on the hype is in their right mind right now.

OnADock

Banned
He's a baby dude...

Yes he may be too young to know this, but what he did is still wrong. Fortunately the cat taught him a lesson. As soon as you are old enough to think about what you are doing, you need to know at least some basics of what is okay and what is not.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm going to rent it too....

But I don't see how your opinion is any better than that guy's. He doesn't see why reviewers hated the game so much and you do see. Neither one of you finished the game :)

I haven't given my opinion. =)

I can see why because everything I have seen, heard, read and played prior to release were all indicators that this game would not review well.

Unless you mean my opinion on that others should be able to give their informed opinion about the game in its totality...in which case...ok? =P

"FUCK THE REVIEWERS" mentality is just childish. Unless that's my opinion?

Got the game by the way. Going to play it on my new monitor. \o/

Gestault

The OT has been handled really well, and that's the best spot for that sort of impression. The discussion here is about the formal reviews, so making a broad dismissal of all press reviews is just off-topic, and more so if they're using that premise to present their review. It being based on only playing the first few chapters of the game almost doesn't matter at that point.

Time really. Wait a month, then see where everyone stands.
Good advice.

When I'm on the fence about a game sometimes I'll drop into the GAF OT two weeks after release and see what the conversations look like. Its amazing how much the tenor of those conversations can say about a game and its longevity and what works and what doesn't.

Extend this time period for long games (like epic RPGs) or games with long progressions (like Destiny).

Astral Dog

Interesting indeed, The Order 1886 is not a bad game, its not shit that should be trashed, its just a mediocre title, something that could be far more, but isn't, a 65 on Metacritic is not that bad of a number, cult classics got those kind of scores and are remembered fondly.

Its the expectations for an anticipated game, more if its exclusive, to get a 90 Metascore, its the expectations of the marketing campaign, graphics and next gen machines, "greatness awaits" or something.

That is the kind of thing that makes the industry so volatile, and can hurt it.

benjammin

I think a lot of negative comments are a reaction to the overwhelming defense this game is getting despite it appearing to be 'okay' at best. In my opinion, this game only has a strong defense force because it's an exclusive title that's been heavily pushed and marketed for ages. The game has had a negative pre-release reception because it has always looked pretty bad (gameplay-wise, not aesthetically). It's failed to impress at every showing and yet the hype train kept on chugging because it's an exclusive. Now it's out an is getting a negative reception and people who've invested a bunch of time and energy into anticipating it because the Sony marketing team told them they should are insisting that there's bias in the reviews and that the reviewers are being bullies. You never see this kind of stuff for multiplatform games.

Granted, a lot of people revelling in the game's reception happen to be doing so because they're stupidly loyal to the other side. I may just be projecting my opinion on all the other negative nancies, but in my opinion it's fun to watch people freaking out over this game's poor reception simply because it's an exclusive for their platform of choice.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The initial reveal for the game was incredible, but the hype died down when more and more gameplay got released and it became obvious that it was going to be a linear third person shooter with great graphics and generic gameplay. It was always going to be polarizing, and there quickly became a line in the sand between people who were still excited to play and people who thought it was going to be just another average game. And from there it's become completely insane with people making comparisons to Isis and throwing a pity party for RAD because their new IP wasn't anything special. It's been an entertaining ride to say the least

Gestault

Does active reload really add that much to gunplay?

It did nothing for me

When people talk about being "in the zone" or the "rhythm" of combat, active reloading contributed to that sort of thing. I really, really liked it, enough that I think it has a place in many action games. It makes the player more connected to the character they're controlling. Reloading a weapon should require thought or preparation in a shoot-out, and while I don't think actually stopping the gameplay to reflect that would improve gameplay, a timing-based skill check as an abstraction of it ended up really enhancing things in the Gears games.

Yes I know I'm sexy but can you honestly name a game that does?

plotting and script are on a similar level, although i guess the characterisation is a little stronger in The Room
Room's characters are untouchable. Even many films have problems touching it there.

That is assuming everyone finishes the game in 5 hours bro. We already know that is NOT the case so I'm not sure why you are running with this number. Every game can be completed in way less time than the average time but that is not the norm. I know how I play games and just about every time I finish a game it takes me way longer than what the lowest play time is. I fully expect to finish this in about 9 to 10 hours. You are taking the worst case scenario and using that as example which is not realistic.
I asked one poster who played it for their personal time and they said about 5 hours and that was with them taking their time, and lots of other people are saying similar.

Personally I do not even have a problem with the length. Many of my favorite games are short in length...once you get good at them. It seems The Order's problem is that the extra stuff does not necessarily add more to the game in a playability sense, and the game doesn't even track it for 100% completion. Moreso than that, the game's design by its very nature seems to be with the aim of being short regardless of skill level. It's not where the shortness is a reward for mastering the game and its mechanics.

You can't even speedrun the game because the cutscenes are unskippable. So say you fail a sequence and just want to jump back in, you have to watch the cutscene all over before doing so. I honestly can't think of any decent game that didn't allow you to skip cutscenes after the first time.

I can see exactly where they're coming from, especially in terms of people maybe using their pent-up feelings on wanting to justify current-gen, in looking at games like Order more harshly than they would if Order was a late last-gen game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Interesting indeed, The Order 1886 is not a bad game, its not shit that should be trashed, its just a mediocre title, something that could be far more, but isn't, a 65 on Metacritic is not that bad of a number, cult classics got those kind of scores and are remembered fondly.

I wonder. Is being considered mediocre worse than being considered bad? Throw out The Order here. Just in general. Personally, if someone tells me that a game is mediocre, I will tend to flat out ignore it. If someone harps on a game for being bad, terrible, etc. Well, I'm actually more inclined to see if it is as bad as people say it is. Just as much as I am to see if a game is as good someone says it is.

Cult Classics are a mix of good and bad. Cult Classics tend to be anything but mediocre.

What contradictions are in TLOU and who talks when they shouldn't? What is cliche other the beginning
Ellie is the cure to save mankind
I haven't gotten too far, but right now the answer to the first two is basically "Clickers". They really keep ruining the game for me, although the runners do a bit too when you actually think about them. And pretty much every beat of the story is a zombie cliche, the only difference is the virus is a fungus :p

I mean it's a really fun game! But I wouldn't say its a triumph of storytelling or anything. I kept getting pulled into the world, but once I was pulled in a realized how something didn't make sense and then the feeling was gone.

Yes I know I'm sexy but can you honestly name a game that does?

Room's characters are untouchable. Even many films have problems touching it there.
The Letter?

I feel bad for RAD but I agree fully with this article.

I just hope that it earns enough that they can make a truly great sequel. Or at least so the studio doesn't shut down. They have proven they can create something special with their PSP projects, but this was really their first high profile and large production game and I guess it showed. I for one want to give them a second chance with whatever they can make next.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Eh... in the original video source, the apparent mother is encouraging the child to slap the cat. So... I feel rather bad for the kid, too.

Yeah, watched the video after seeing the gif, and the mother (or whatever person is filming) is a fucking moron. The cat was playfully fighting with the toddler's arms, thereby hurting him. Both the toddler's and the cat's reaction were natural. And the recorder wasn't doing anything about it except laughing. (/OffTopic)

Mman235

Yeah. While the influx of broken AAA games last year shows bugs can still be a problem (and even then, those games will probably end up fixed, if slowly), in general, the current use of review scores has an "is it playable?" baseline that isn't really needed anymore. In the past that was important because many games were broken on a base game design level, now though? It's very rare that a game with mechanics that just flat out don't work comes along; therefore reviews definitely should evolve to be harsh even on very polished games that just aren't very interesting, as opposed to giving them a 7/10 minimum because "it works and has polish".

Show me a game with a story equal to The Room. I dare you. You will not find it.

The Order 1886 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I haven't given my opinion. =)

I can see why because everything I have seen, heard, read and played prior to release were all indicators that this game would not review well.

Unless you mean my opinion on that others should be able to give their informed opinion about the game in its totality...in which case...ok? =P

"FUCK THE REVIEWERS" mentality is just childish. Unless that's my opinion?

Got the game by the way. Going to play it on my new monitor. \o/

I don't think the guy you picked on was that bad. I look at the game reviews exactly the same as at the movie reviews. I usually read them after finishing the game (if it's something I'm interested in). The way many of the reviews are written they would be useless to read when you finish the game. Everything becomes about the score and it should not be...

rashbeep

Banned

Agreed.

Having played through the game in 5 and a half hours or so I definitely agree that the game is short and has little replay value. Saying that though the game is a solid 7 in my opinion since it's story and gunplay are good. The start is a bit slow but I wouldn't say the story is boring like a lot of reviews have said and nor would I say the game is QTE riddled, it has QTEs but not much more than an Uncharted game.

Astral Dog

I wonder. Is being considered mediocre worse than being considered bad? Throw out The Order here. Just in general. Personally, if someone tells me that a game is mediocre, I will tend to flat out ignore it. If someone harps on a game for being bad, terrible, etc. Well, I'm actually more inclined to see if it is as bad as people say it is. Just as much as I am to see if a game is as good someone says it is.

Cult Classics are a mix of good and bad. Cult Classics tend to be anything but mediocre.
Well i haven't played the Order so i can't say, just that the game has the potential to be considered a cult classic maybe people love the atmosphere or gunplay of the game.

Bad or mediocre, its still a "failure" for the community(mass market?), but can have reedeming qualities for some people, or even great sales, while good ratings can't guarantee success, look at Nintendo pitifully using Metacritic scores at an Investor meeting.

Gestault

Ya, collecting Flags was so much fun. The first Assassin's Creed was just a tech demo for the climbing and crowd technology.

Considering it had a novel and well-handled story alongside new gameplay mechanics/traversal systems, I think that may be a bit simplistic. The game had real flaws, but it was doing substantial new things that people did enjoy.

Just got my CE edition and got the free download code from the ARG game. Will keep the CE and probable give away the code to someone. I think there is way too much furor over a video game that cost just $65 with tax (where I live) but that is just IMO. I'm smart enough to remember that playing games is just a hobby. I know people over the years have been pushing it to be more but end of the day it is just a hobby and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I thinking the internet giving everyone a voice has greatly impacted how people view video games and its quite frankly have been a detriment to me enjoying some games lately (overhype, hating, concern trolling). I think I will visit the hype threads less from now on and just come on for info.

I'm a bit confused here as it doesn't seem the reviews are overall that bad. Sure it's not the next TLOU but I don't think anyone really though it would be. In fact many predicted it would review average like this so it boggles my mind why this is all of a sudden such a surprise. And all the people coming in here shitting it up also confuse me. if you don't' like a game why actively try to ruin it for others who are genuinely looking forward to playing. Just seems a waste of your own time.

Well that is my 2 cents. I'm off to play the game and decide for myself if it's good or not.

chico

im at chapter 4 now and im enjoying this game immensely! every reviewer that gave this game a bad review should be ashamed. i really dont get it... sure, the game is not perfect, but a 4 or 5/10 score is a bad joke.

Eternia

I don't know why anyone would automatically value every (or even most) random forum people more than random reviewer's opinion. Sometimes, you might even have more information on GAF member's biases, tendencies and history than actual reviewers which would actually let me dismiss them more easily. They might not even be a real person, who knows!

I do find someone who thinks all review outlets are meaningless but gives an "impression" anyways are completely full of themselves. Why do they think they are above everyone? I try to use whatever reviews/impressions available as sources of information to form my own decision on whether or not I should make the purchase. I don't see any reason to restrict myself to only people on "X" forum or whatever. More information is always desirable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom