• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seventy70

Ready @ Dawn vs. the Internet

gif

The Order: 1886 Edition:
edk9s6m.gif

Kosma

Banned
Game is pretty cool, best looking console game by far. Shooting feels great. Story is not original but is told very well. Some real cool weapons. Setting and attention to details are stellar.

Halfway in Id say its an 8/10 for me.

Sotha_Sil

IMO Sony should design just one or two engines for its games.

Its retarded how like, every studio is making its own engine.

They should let Naughty Dog's graphics engine be the one most studios use.

The RAD guys should've used the Uncharted 4 engine. Would've worked well. It does gorgeous character models too.

It's probably not that simple. ND's engine might not translate well to games that the other developers want to make.

Fnord

Well they made it look like there was lots of TPS gameplay in it when they first revealed it and a lot of people were expecting that. But then the devs started saying it was story driven and then there were people who got it early and said it was short with lots of QTE and cutscenes.

Actually, they didn't. The big criticisms of the game after the initial reveal (not the E3 cinematic reveal, as the criticism there was that there was no game play shown) was that it looked like a Heavy Rain clone. Then, when they did show the TPS game play, the criticism became, "Well, it looks 'generic,'" or, "Lulz... chest high barriers."

To me, if its going to be a story driven game and not a game with lots of TPS gameplay,
I really think it needs multiple endings for replayability.
Thats just how I feel about these genres.(games like Heavy Rain etc)

Or, it could tell a specific story and take the player along for the ride. Which (based on my four/five (I forget) chapters so far, is exactly what it's doing. One of the reviews I read, to me, nailed it. It's a throwback to an earlier generation of game. One that has a definite narrative that the player plays through. LOTS of games used to be like this. And just because other games have gone in different directions doesn't mean every game has to. As for replayability, I seem to recall replaying plenty of games that didn't have multiple endings or any such thing.

Fnord

What would happen if you show them the Order? "Now we will play The Order 1886!"
Who knows, maybe they would like the narrative.

I think a game like this will be difficult to show off in that capacity. You can't just drop them into an area where there's a fire fight transpiring. It would be out of context. And you can't start them at the beginning, since it's not exactly the paragon of action at the beginning. It's simply not, in any way, a party game. Not really something you can toss in and get a group excited about playing. It's a much more solitary experience than that.

Loakum

Banned
I'm so glad I didn't pay any attention to the reviews. I'm enjoying the hell out of The Order 1886. I'm over two hours in, and I'm loving it!

GtU1KSP.jpg

impact

Banned
How do we know Bloodborne is "90+ quality already"? While I expect that the game will be good because it comes from an excellent pedigree, I certainly don't know that.

I mean I already played the alpha (it's incredible) and even the weak Souls games are better than 99% of games. For Souls fans the game is gonna be incredible.

If you post in Dark Souls threads you probably know how disappointed I was with DS2, and it was still my #2 GOTY (behind the great Bayonetta 2). The games are that good.

Fnord

Okay, I wasn't sure of the amount of hours of cutscenes, but whether it's half or a third or whatever, it was too much for a game like this with the narrative it is trying to tell, and the fact they are unskippable, and many moments in them would be substantially more impactful if they were playable, makes them even worse.

Wouldn't skippable cut scenes in a narrative heavy game be counterproductive? If the goal was to tell a story and a substantial portion of that story is told through cut scenes, why would making them skippable ever be a consideration? Seems to me like this isn't the kind of game that someone looking for skippable cut scenes would want to play, anyway.

impact

Banned
Here are some screenshots that he sent me:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/11005643_10206078627268755_577990487_n.jpg?oh=0eb649a07fa10e8ce5960a63af87ecd8&oe=54EA29F3&__gda__=1424628103_4688bb9ab257133cd5825ea20e0d637f[IMG]

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t35.0-12/11002041_10206078627548762_412667411_o.jpg?oh=61990ec3cec70af6bdb8f701ea8195a6&oe=54EB106B&__gda__=1424627167_e2e5a4ca53d90cbe8182146d6cc94655[IMG]

These are a couple he sent me. He says its a 12gig file running on PlayStation firmware emulated on the PC.Will try to get more details![/QUOTE]

You're being trolled so hard by your friend rofl

PS4 hooked up to monitor, 360 pad hooked up to his PC right next to it

benzy

Maxios

11005643_10206078627268755_577990487_n.jpg

11002041_10206078627548762_412667411_o.jpg

These are a couple he sent me. He says its a 12gig file running on PlayStation firmware emulated on the PC.Will try to get more details!

Are you sure he just doesn't make a video of The Order full screen, boot up his 360, power on a remote, and take a couple pictures as a joke?

That's the ps4 version with a dude holding up a 360 controller. If there was a ps4 emulator that worked that well we would have heard about ages ago.

Freeman

Banned

11005643_10206078627268755_577990487_n.jpg

11002041_10206078627548762_412667411_o.jpg

These are a couple he sent me. He says its a 12gig file running on PlayStation firmware emulated on the PC.Will try to get more details!

I shouldn't break your illusion but...

you can clerically see that its youtube full screen mode, look at the white dot in the bottom of the first screen.

Frillen

Wouldn't skippable cut scenes in a narrative heavy game be counterproductive? If the goal was to tell a story and a substantial portion of that story is told through cut scenes, why would making them skippable ever be a consideration? Seems to me like this isn't the kind of game that someone looking for skippable cut scenes would want to play, anyway.

It's pretty annoying trying to collect missing collectibles when there's

1) unskippable cut scenes
2) no tracking system of what collectible you've found

There should ALWAYS be an option to skip cut scenes the second time you play through a game.

Kacho

Gold Member

Dude please tell me you don't honestly believe this. You being played as a fool.

Are you sure he just doesn't make a video of The Order full screen, boot up his 360, power on a remote, and take a couple pictures as a joke?

He's just playing a video of game on his PC and holding a controller in front of it.

I shouldn't break your illusion but...

you can clerically see that its youtube full screen mode, look at the white dot in the botton.

That is what I first thought, I just spoke to him and he sounds serious and not funny.

K.Sabot

The forbes article touches on a main philosophy I follow about games:
"better a game fail trying to do something interesting than succeed at being average".

Peterthumpa

I don't think it's a stretch to say The Order has the best graphics ever. Unity looks great for sure but I don't think it matches or surpasses The Order visually.
Absolutely. I have a really high end PC and I've been playing the latest games like at maximum settings, including Unity, and The Order is just on a league of its own. Not only the best looking console game ever, but the best looking game ever, for now. Period.

specdot

This thread...I can't... lol.
On "topic", the dude playing The Order on his PC is tooooootes legit. I have that same emulator. It's a modded Dev PS4 with some PC parts... Running on Windows XP.

Fnord

Odd in a sense, that games like Journey, The Walking Dead, and Heavy Rain, which feature different kind of gameplay mechanics are often scorned upon, like they don't meet a certain gameplay criteria. It's not like people have to play games, and watch films, they don't like. I just don't get the hate. If it's not for me, I just move on and get my entertainment from elsewhere.

I'm just about to start the game, as I've been waiting for the sun to go down, so I can't yet comment on how Order plays, but I would have preferred if they had went to a more horror-oriented direction as well.

Eeeeeeexactly. Not every game is for everyone. I know there are certain games that are well received and beloved that I have no interest in (Battlefield/COD, The Souls franchise (though I will get through Demon's Souls at some point), etc...). I don't disparage them. I don't disparage the people that like them. Mostly ;) . It just happens that TO:1886 happens to fall into a category of game I haven't had the chance to play in a long while. A single player, narrative driven (slavishly so) game that's languidly paced, with sections of action. At least that's how it's playing out so far.

7-8/10

Sounds right. Pretty good game. Some clunky parts, but it's pretty polished throughout.

Definitely not those bullshit 4/10 like saying the game is a complete failure.

Elitist1945

Yeah I'd give the game a solid 8/10. Graphics, story and characters were all excellent. Gameplay was kind of iffy (like Uncharted 1), and I felt the game's plot didn't really pick up till the end.

I look forward to a sequel, though. May the next game be its Uncharted 2.

Fnord

It's pretty annoying trying to collect missing collectibles when there's

1) unskippable cut scenes
2) no tracking system of what collectible you've found

There should ALWAYS be an option to skip cut scenes the second time you play through a game.

Second time, I concur. A second playthrough of a game almost always carries with it a different set of goals than a first playthrough.

Kacho

Gold Member
How long until this game hits under 20$? Very interested at that price.

Not looking to pay 65$ or so on a game I will beat in a sitting.

It'll probably be a few months unless sales fall off hard and stores have a ton of stock that they aren't able to move.

So, there's a lot of back and forth on the overall quality of the game, but would you guys recommend I grab a copy? I really enjoyed the Uncharted games, and someone earlier in the thread made a comparison to the Telltale games. How much exploration/problem solving is there in the game?

Cheech

So, there's a lot of back and forth on the overall quality of the game, but would you guys recommend I grab a copy? I really enjoyed the Uncharted games, and someone earlier in the thread made a comparison to the Telltale games. How much exploration/problem solving is there in the game?

It's very linear, and only challenging if you are missing both thumbs and drank a fifth of gin beforehand.

It's very linear, and only challenging if you are missing both thumbs and drank a fifth of gin beforehand.

It doesn't really answer my question, though; I'm just wondering how much downtime there is, because I really find myself craving that these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom