• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EL CUCO

My copy is arriving today. I'm going to Platinum this game is quick as possible and recover whatever money of the $60 I can.

Damn shame...

thatJohann

Make up your own damn mind. Screw reviews. If you can afford to buy it, just do it and sell it later or something.

This game is a work of art. Enjoy it for what it is.

so.... those of you who hide your true colors and those of you who constantly defend everything to the moon... how does the crow taste?? or are you still in denial?? Will you still be in denial after you already finish you 5 hour interactive movie??? It's cool... I bet you were the same quality of people that bashed games like Titanfall and Evolve for being Multiplayer only even though you never played it...You are the type that bashed something like Sunset because it wasn't "true 1080p"....your damage control is one of the other major reasons gaming continues to slip down the slippery slope....

Step up and make a damn example for once..... stop buying these overhyped exclusive piles of poop and tell Sony (and all these damn companies for that matter) to STOP OVER PROMISING AND UNDER DELIVERING.... this game has NO RIGHT charging $60.. you want to go for $20 ... ok cooooool... also LOL at the fact it was always hyped and advertised as a "shooter".... but hey its just Sony being Sony...

I haven't clicked on Gamespot system wars by mistake have I.

Game arrives tomorrow. Still looking forward to it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Reading several of the worst reviews they reflect what I expected. Some reviewers still holding on to bad PR statements and using them to fuel their desire for something to be worse than it actually is. The game is far from revolutionary but it is also not a bad game this is pretty pathetic, journalism at its worst.

Looking at the scores of more recent games and then looking at the score the Order received just confirms these scores were set in stone quite a while ago.

Still excited to get this game, I'll form my own opinion, only thing I'm worried about is the story being boring because thats one of the main reasons I'm getting this.

Gestault

Jim Sterling's Review

"Fantastic teaser… can’t wait for the actual game to come out."

6.5/10

Outside of combat, things are little less enthralling. The game shamelessly opens with remedial quick-time-events through a network of restrictive corridors, all set at a plodding pace, and this framework comes to characterize much of the resulting campaign. Linearity is not a bad thing, but The Order has no interest whatsoever in exploration, curiosity, or player agency. You’re allowed to run only when the game tells you, your hand is held by immersion-breaking tutorial pop-ups that never stop and cannot be turned off, you’ll come to doors that you know you can open, but are barred from touching until the patronizing prompt appears.

Much of your progress is stuttered as you are forced to stop and start through a level constantly, with no real flow to the events that unfold – just as you begin to get into the action, another long cutscene will pull you out of it, or yet another door will bar your path and arbitrarily halt you until it’s ready for your prescribed interaction.

Meanwhile, it paints by numbers as it goes through the checklist of standardized videogame features. Simplistic stealth chapters occur now and then, forcing the player to awkwardly sneak about and one-hit-kill grizzly men from behind. Galahad picks locks and hacks electricity boxes via primitive minigames. Fighting lycans is promising and paranoia-inducing, but all too brief and astoundingly infrequent. Meanwhile, the two battles that could feasibly be deemed boss encounters are, themselves, little more than QTEs of another flavor. All this, spread fairly thinly across a campaign that will maybe take five or six hours to get through.

The Order‘s real problem, however, isn’t that it’s short – it’s that it does so very little with the time it has. Narratively, the game is a prologue as opposed to a full-fledged story, concerned only with building to a crescendo that never comes

This game is not for me.

Ponchito

This is terrible for AAA titles. At this rate even Uncharted 4 will not deliver. Very disappointed at Sony exclusives.

Feel sorry for RAD but it looks they had their heads up their buts during development ignoring all the criticism up until this day.

Hopefully it'll come out one day for PS plus. I'll ty it then for sure.

Well I'm still excited to pick up my Premium Edition of The Order 1886 tomorrow. What, I'm suppose to change my mind based off some stranger's opinion? Nope. I'm way too much of an independent thinker to allow that madness to occur.

qF7Fyoll.jpg

Yeah you're right, I'm also an independant thinker. I didn't wait the review to know it was shit.

Ape

Banned
Is this bizzaro world? I've read a couple posts where they're saying PS4 games are attacked by reviewers? I thought the overwhelming feeling of persecution was an xbox thing...

Anyways, this sucks. I was looking forward to this game and now it is looking more like I'll be passing on it. Especially if it isn't dirt cheap (I mean TLOU digital voucher prices) by the time I pick up my ps4. Probably won't happen, but what can you do. :/

Vitanimus

so.... those of you who hide your true colors and those of you who constantly defend everything to the moon... how does the crow taste?? or are you still in denial?? Will you still be in denial after you already finish you 5 hour interactive movie??? It's cool... I bet you were the same quality of people that bashed games like Titanfall and Evolve for being Multiplayer only even though you never played it...You are the type that bashed something like Sunset because it wasn't "true 1080p"....your damage control is one of the other major reasons gaming continues to slip down the slippery slope....

Step up and make a damn example for once..... stop buying these overhyped exclusive piles of poop and tell Sony (and all these damn companies for that matter) to STOP OVER PROMISING AND UNDER DELIVERING.... this game has NO RIGHT charging $60.. you want to go for $20 ... ok cooooool... also LOL at the fact it was always hyped and advertised as a "shooter".... but hey its just Sony being Sony...

I'm cackling

chadskin

Unfortunately, both DriveClub and The Order actually hearken back to older times. They feel like experiences one might have had on the PS2 with cutting edge visuals. I actually really like that about them and have enjoyed them quite a bit. They actually almost feel out of place in 2014/2015 in that sense.

I feel kind of sad knowing that these games will be viewed as failures and will likely put a dead stop to this type of design.

Interestingly, I also lump Alien Isolation and The Evil Within in with these games. These are types of experiences I want these days. The Evil Within was shredded as well and suffered from annoying technical faults while Alien has a pretty limited fan base as well. It has occurred to me that I'm not really in line with what's popular these days. :\

We're getting old, dude. The cool kids we're not anymore. :(

Axass

Are there really though? I really can't think of 5.

Kojima (MGS4)
Naughty Dog (Uncharted)
RAD (The Order)
David Cage (Beyond/Heavy Rain)
Ninja Theory (Heavenly Sword)

BTW these are all basically self proclaimed, at one point they said they wanted to make the games movie-like or have a cinematic feeling.

Sendou

You're acting like Ryse never happened. Funny enough, both these games are likely going to share a similar metacritic score, and both are among the best looking, but also most linear games on their respective consoles lol.

One of them is a great benchmark tool though.

maverick40

I know I will get trolled for this , but it may be time for Sony to look at replacing Shu . Sony was always known to have great first party exclusives, but this gen we have had knack, killzone. Driveclub which is a great game but launched after multiple delays , and was broke as heck at launch which killed the buzz for the game . Infamous which was beautiful, but scored rather average, and now the order , which appears to be another ryse. If his job is to manage first party games. I would say he has done a poor job overall. In my opinion

He is the reason bloodborne is in existence, your statement is 100% invalid

WITHE1982

Wow. talk about going out in a blaze of... well bullshit.

c0de

Pretty undeserved in my opinion, but this is no a real issue for me (I really enjoyed this game!).

So, except some kids, fanboys (and fangirl) and nintendo, is there someone else who still care/trust in metacritic ?

Ps On N4G, right now it's 75, just to say.

And how is that of importance? N4G?!

I'm still baffled at no weapon upgrades at all. I know it sounds silly but I was really hoping this was gonna be Wolfenstein levels of surprisingly good. :-/

Alienous

This is terrible for AAA titles. At this rate even Uncharted 4 will not deliver. Very disappointed at Sony exclusives.

Feel sorry for RAD but it looks they had their heads up their buts during development ignoring all the criticism up until this day.

What, do you not have thumbs?

What does this have to do with ND and Uncharted 4?

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm glad I was on the fence TBH. I may get it when it hits half price or the bargain bin. Ready at Dawn seem like fantastic developers but hopefully this can spur them to create a really good game next time around.

I know I will get trolled for this , but it may be time for Sony to look at replacing Shu . Sony was always known to have great first party exclusives, but this gen we have had knack, killzone. Driveclub which is a great game but launched after multiple delays , and was broke as heck at launch which killed the buzz for the game . Infamous which was beautiful, but scored rather average, and now the order , which appears to be another ryse. If his job is to manage first party games. I would say he has done a poor job overall. In my opinion
TIL an 80 is average.

Melchiah

We'll see how Sony feels if they stop the advertising blitz. Driveclub was never advertised from the getgo, but I've been seeing consistent commercials for this for awhile.

Driveclub was advertised continuously here in Finland, along with TLOU, LBP3, Singstar and Destiny, during The Walking Dead series. I wonder how it was with the other European countries, where racing in general is more popular than in the States.

Just checking here out of curiosity, and though I kind of expected scores to run the gamut, I expected the average to be a little better.

Either way, just like I don't rely on the Oscars to pick movies that I'll like, I'm going to play it myself and decide.

Kssio_Aug

It's a QTE and cutscene heavy, I assume 7-10 hours long game for $60.

Its never intended to be a TPS though. Its a story telling game, something more in the lines with Quantic Dream or Telltale games. Its just very different then a TPS, and it may give you much more in-game choices then The Order.

It's just different genres of games. So I don't agree that this is a valid comparison by any extent.

Floridian

See now that seems harsh to me. Everyone here is free to express their opinion whether serious or jovial, doesn't mean they lack any respect for anything

Saying I like/dislike this game is an opinion. Posting pictures of developers who were at the time celebrating their work now at a time where reviews for this game are bad and people are ragging on them is kind of rude imo.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Oh puh-leaze, if the game had received good scores the haters would've had to endure the same treatment from the other side.

Exactly!

In fact I'm not a hater, I respet RAD for what they did and can't wait what's next ...I hope they learn from their mistakes.

What does this have to do with Uncharted, or Sony exclusives?

Mr. X

As long as the devs end product is what they wanted to make and there are people who buy it and enjoy, everything is good IMO. Congrats to RAD.

But honestly, how did people not expect this from the previews? My impression was that it would be a game designed around a great first play through but the mechanics were not something that would bring you back to play over and over again (which is how I view the aim of most games made nowadays).

The reviews make it sound like the inverse of Vanquish.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seriously I love my PS4 but I'm dissapointed in Sony first party games released right now..

Not first party. Or atleast as much first party as Quantic Dream. Independents on this scale are a dime a dozen, who knows where this leaves RAD if this game does indeed bomb commercially

Tambini

Shame the game didn't turn out great but I always thought it looked a bit slow since they revealed it. I can't really stand playing games where they keep taking control from the player/QTE fests, no matter how good it looks

@ lol at some replies

PBY

Banned
Reading several of the worst reviews they reflect what I expected. Some reviewers still holding on to bad PR statements and using them to fuel their desire for something to be worse than it actually is. The game is far from revolutionary but it is also not a bad game this is pretty pathetic, journalism at its worst.

Looking at the scores of more recent games and then looking at the score the Order received just confirms these scores were set in stone quite a while ago.
Damn dude. Just let it go. Have you played it even?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom