• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if trying to outdo Naughty Dog's visual talent did distract them from making a good game. Maybe the next Order would be more focused on gameplay due to the engine being in place. At least we can say bravo RAD for making one of the most visually impressive console games of all time...

I don't think gameplay is the real problem but more the lack of content to go with the gameplay .
If people beat this in 6 hours they hardly get to do much gameplay wise and with no replay value that makes this worst .

5309.jpg

Oh my. Is that a hairy shit? I have never seen it's like before. And nor do I want to. Yikes.

So far this gen has been pure mediocre low standard games or broken games. Hopefully the dross is all out of the way......But then again Hardline drops next so maybe not.

ElRenoRaven

Damn I hate seeing these scores. I was so jazzed when they announced the game. Kept getting bad feelings as the time went on. As a result I didn't preorder. Now reading the reviews it's exactly the issues I was fearing were going to happen that did happen.

It really pisses me off too because the game had so much damn potential. I loved the idea of what they were going for too. It was all just wasted too.

Grief.exe

Bloodborne? That's if you're a Souls fan. Not everyone's cup of tea tho

Not for this turd.

Wait for Bloodborne and Uncharted 4.

Bloodborne and Type 0 HD + FFXV demo in March!

Referring to Bloodborne, that one title in the PS4 library that interests me for the foreseeable future. Persona 5 won't be out until much later in the year and I really didn't like Last of Us all that much, which renders the hype level for Uncharted 4 fairly low.

I haven't played Demon Souls yet, maybe I will just play that instead. I've actually never played a Souls game below 60 FPS and 4K.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Wow, I was on the fence about this, but definitely saving my money for Bloodbourne (which I was getting anyway).

I do hope this doesn't kill the IP and RAD gets to do a sequel that has a bit more meat in the gameplay dept.
Will wait for black friday sale this november, $10 or lower.

Marvel

could never
so.... those of you who hide your true colors and those of you who constantly defend everything to the moon... how does the crow taste?? or are you still in denial?? Will you still be in denial after you already finish you 5 hour interactive movie??? It's cool... I bet you were the same quality of people that bashed games like Titanfall and Evolve for being Multiplayer only even though you never played it...You are the type that bashed something like Sunset because it wasn't "true 1080p"....your damage control is one of the other major reasons gaming continues to slip down the slippery slope....

Step up and make a damn example for once..... stop buying these overhyped exclusive piles of poop and tell Sony (and all these damn companies for that matter) to STOP OVER PROMISING AND UNDER DELIVERING.... this game has NO RIGHT charging $60.. you want to go for $20 ... ok cooooool... also LOL at the fact it was always hyped and advertised as a "shooter".... but hey its just Sony being Sony...

TCJACcn.gif
wut

That is some straight up bullshit. Gameplay doesn't age. People might change and like different things but gameplay is either good or it isn't. If modern games mean boring lifeless open worlds, with a ton of monotone sidequests and meaningless RPG mechanics then I'll pass.

I didn't say the gameplay has aged, did I? I said Gears is a product of it's time - and as you so clearly point out, people expect different things and they demand new gameplay experiences. It is true that good gameplay is good gameplay, but if products today simply strip that from earlier design with pretty visuals, it's not going to cut it.
This is why the next Uncharted will have to innovate otherwise it will be criticised for being 'more of the same'. This is why people are sick of Assassin's Creed, and Ubisoft's sandbox design. If a new Gear was to release it would have to re-invent itself somewhat, for the same reasons.

Seanspeed

Banned
Completely broken and borderline unplayable games like Halo TMCC (85 metascore) and AC:Unity (70 metascore) have rather high scores, so this getting 5-6s must mean that it sets your PS4 on fire and kills your dog!

That being said, it's disappointing to hear that the story isn't fully realized, but it's just confusing to me that a fully functional, complete and "alright" game gets significantly lower scores than games that flat out do not work.
Because there's still a ton of stuff in Halo MCC that works fine. 4 different campaigns for instance. And how does AC Unity 'flat out not work'? Because its framerate isn't great? I agree that's crappy, but judging by the amount of people who had no problem playing GTAV on 360/PS3, I think its fair to say this isn't a massive deal breaker for most people.

Mash83

Wow, shocking that this is getting mauled so badly. Im still excited about picking it up tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the plat over the weekend and then trade it in next week. I want to support RAD so maybe they can learn from this and make the sequel something really special.

MattyG

Banned
Reviews are lower and harsher than I expected, but there's enough positives that I want to at least check it out and be a part of the conversation.

Nzyme32

Pretty undeserved in my opinion, but this is no a real issue for me (I really enjoyed this game!).

So, except some kids, fanboys (and fangirl) and nintendo, is there someone else who still care/trust in metacritic ?

Ps On N4G, right now it's 75, just to say.

Is there really a reason to be so (for lack of a better word) defensive over the scores or opinions of others, whether towards the game or metacritic?

If you have an opinion of the game or metacritic one way or the other, it isn't devalued by anyone else's opinion or value for the game, metacritic or anything else for that matter. It would be more constructive for you to detail why you like it and what disagreement you have with other peoples' opinions rather than stereotyping who finds value in what, and quoting arbitrary scores

I paid €190 for the Premium edition and €75 for the standard copy which I will sell to my friend once the premium comes. I don't feel ripped off or anything, the game is awesome. Exactly what I wanted right now.

Referring to Bloodborne, that one title in the PS4 library that interests me for the foreseeable future. Persona 5 won't be out until much later in the year and I really didn't like Last of Us all that much.

Wait, have you played UC before?

It has many similarities with TLoU, but many crucial differences which give it an entirely different feel.

Well I'm still excited to pick up my Premium Edition of The Order 1886 tomorrow. What, I'm suppose to change my mind based off some stranger's opinion? Nope. I'm way too much of an independent thinker to allow that madness to occur.

qF7Fyoll.jpg
I'll have to try independent thinking sometime. Maybe once I have an extra $200 or so to throw away on crap :p

Texar

Banned
RAD did it all wrong, they should have released it broken and full of bugs then it would reviewed as good as HMCC and Unity.

Trey

Pretty undeserved in my opinion, but this is no a real issue for me (I really enjoyed this game!).

So, except some kids, fanboys (and fangirl) and nintendo, is there someone else who still care/trust in metacritic ?

Ps On N4G, right now it's 75, just to say.

This thread got a thousand posts in less than 30 minutes. so you can pretend metacritic is irrelevant, and be incorrect.

aaa games are a cut throat business right now, i think rad are done in terms of aaa games. sony wont fund another and luckily for them rad are independent dev so essentially sony can wipe their hands clean of this mess.

its also going to bomb hard commercially no doubt, people were out of their minds in that other thread thinking its going to sell 4m+

Ashkeloth

I've got to admit I'm pretty disappointed to see these scores, Unlike quite a few people, I've always had my reservations as reports about the game being very "cinematic" came out, but the premise was really interesting, the game looked gorgeous in all previews and above all that, it was a new IP.

Oh well. I wasn't going to buy it at release anyway. Now I don't need to buy it at all. Hopefully one of these big name exclusives will truly deliver at some point, but I've got plenty of time out of my PS4 already from smaller games so it's not a big deal.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't think gameplay is the real problem but more the lack of content to go with the gameplay .
If people beat this in 6 hours they hardly get to do much gameplay wise and with no replay value that makes this worst .

I don't think the game scored a 63 metacritic or whatever merely because it's short. Tons of short games have received 80+ metacritics. I think from what I'm reading the gameplay itself is deeply flawed, and the associated story is nowhere near good enough to make up for the gameplay shortcomings.

The worst part for me in reading the reviews is how most focus on how the gameplay is boring. Which, alongside the concern over the length the past couple weeks, was my biggest concern coming in.

I'll definitely pass and hope to grab cheap or redbox at some point

Fury451

Banned
Certainly screams bias

I'm not a conspiracy guy, fair review is a fair review.

But that is pretty unprofessional for a review site and does show some bias.

Like they had this hilarious idea and just couldn't wait to use it.

That being said, I found it funny. Just not from a publication.

Mediocre game getting mediocre scores would be a great thing if it happened to every mediocre game out there. One out of every hundred mediocre games getting low scores is confusing.

Literally unplayable and broken games get 9s and 10s all the time so I'm just left wondering why this was the game to suddenly get all critical about.

YeSp

Neo Member
Such a shame about the bad reviews although some of those reviews seem overly harsh IMO. The setting, art direction and graphics are very cool. If they just put more effort in the gameplay and length of the game. Hopefully it will sell well enough so they get a chance on a sequel.

Dont understand the need for all the schadenfreude in this thread though.

I know I will get trolled for this , but it may be time for Sony to look at replacing Shu . Sony was always known to have great first party exclusives, but this gen we have had knack, killzone. Driveclub which is a great game but launched after multiple delays , and was broke as heck at launch which killed the buzz for the game . Infamous which was beautiful, but scored rather average, and now the order , which appears to be another ryse. If his job is to manage first party games. I would say he has done a poor job overall. In my opinion

Don't pull a hamstring jumping to those conclusions!

Because that's not what any of this indicates. At all. They under delivered on content and some gameplay freedom.

Not every game should be non-story driven open world.

Just checking here out of curiosity, and though I kind of expected scores to run the gamut, I expected the average to be a little better.

Either way, just like I don't rely on the Oscars to pick movies that I'll like, I'm going to play it myself and decide.
This game is another reason why hype and pre-ordering is a bad thing.

Now i want to play the game to see how much i agree with these reviews. I can't imagine i'll be thinking this game was a 5.. or a 4. But who knows.

bud23

So...

It has been stated by Ready at Dawn CEO Ru Weerasuriya that The Order: 1886 has been in active development since 2010

5 fucking years for this?

greatness? what greatness? for being such a high profile game, this is misery.

Like someone has mentioned ITT, Sony needs to reevaluate how they greenlight games.

Shame on you RAD.

And no, I'm not an Internet bully. Your game is shit. As simple as that.

SSReborn

This is terrible for AAA titles. At this rate even Uncharted 4 will not deliver. Very disappointed at Sony exclusives.

Feel sorry for RAD but it looks they had their heads up their buts during development ignoring all the criticism up until this day.

Hopefully it'll come out one day for PS plus. I'll ty it then for sure.
No there are actual problems with The Order 1886 it went too over the line with the whole game/movie thing and never really did anything new or worthwhile in the tps genre it isn't a problem with AAA titles or journalists trouncing them this game itself just has issues of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom