• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, wow.

The IGN video review makes the game look so GOOD and so BAD at the same time, if you get me. Glad I wasn't invested in this one.

Xpliskin

An interactive experience?

B7gqEpUCYAIWChQ.jpg

B7gp6ZUCIAAdpqK.jpg

B7gmmDyCYAAvMSp.jpg

B7gmEr9CIAARXJE.jpg

You guys are fucked up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If it does have to be eviscerated, I hope that's how it happens lol. I can definitely live with that.

I wonder if these bad scores will translate into bad sales?

Negative hype didn't really slow down Destiny's sales, but for this type of game which is only a few hours instead of a decent grind like Destiny, i think it might hurt 1886's chances a fair bit.

All i hope is that this game doesn't destroy any chances for linear focused games in the future. I don't want every game to be open world, that's just check box Ubisoft game design. But i don't want the complete opposite where your barely playing the game yourself either. It has to be a balance of philosiphies

Elios83

Pretty much what was expected since the reaction to first playable demo.
RAD should have known better that certain design decisions just wouldn't be popular nowadays.
But their biggest fault is in their PR, they tried to hide what the game was (basically an interactive movie with playable tps sections) for too long, they let people imagine it was something else like a victorian Uncharted and Gears (which probably is what most people wanted this game to be) and the disappointment from a certain group was amplificated. They should have stated clearly their intentions since the beginning, expectations would have been different and more calibrated, although they would have lost the attention of some people but who cares? It's not like this approach worked for them if those people felt deceived and then became the biggest critics.

Btw can't wait to play the game tomorrow to get my own opinion on it.

Pretty much what I expected.

It would be a good game for $25, but definately not $60.

People just need to keep this in mind when it comes to this game.
Great experience, but not worth more than $25.

It's not about the amount you throw, it's about the message you send to the industry when you buy a 6 hours game with no replayability $60.

Pennywise

so.... those of you who hide your true colors and those of you who constantly defend everything to the moon... how does the crow taste?? or are you still in denial?? Will you still be in denial after you already finish you 5 hour interactive movie??? It's cool... I bet you were the same quality of people that bashed games like Titanfall and Evolve for being Multiplayer only even though you never played it...You are the type that bashed something like Sunset because it wasn't "true 1080p"....your damage control is one of the other major reasons gaming continues to slip down the slippery slope....

Step up and make a damn example for once..... stop buying these overhyped exclusive piles of poop and tell Sony (and all these damn companies for that matter) to STOP OVER PROMISING AND UNDER DELIVERING.... this game has NO RIGHT charging $60.. you want to go for $20 ... ok cooooool... also LOL at the fact it was always hyped and advertised as a "shooter".... but hey its just Sony being Sony...

Adds up to the rest of the bullshit you fabricated with only 15 posts up until now.

cheezcake

Are you really pretending that the confirmation bias couldn't be going the other way?

That even reviewers wanted to hate this game so much that they do?

You can't just call confirmation bias on something like this, because there's no way to know the reality.

...what logical reason is there for reviewers to want to hate the game.

Spineker

Banned
so.... those of you who hide your true colors and those of you who constantly defend everything to the moon... how does the crow taste?? or are you still in denial?? Will you still be in denial after you already finish you 5 hour interactive movie??? It's cool... I bet you were the same quality of people that bashed games like Titanfall and Evolve for being Multiplayer only even though you never played it...You are the type that bashed something like Sunset because it wasn't "true 1080p"....your damage control is one of the other major reasons gaming continues to slip down the slippery slope....

Step up and make a damn example for once..... stop buying these overhyped exclusive piles of poop and tell Sony (and all these damn companies for that matter) to STOP OVER PROMISING AND UNDER DELIVERING.... this game has NO RIGHT charging $60.. you want to go for $20 ... ok cooooool... also LOL at the fact it was always hyped and advertised as a "shooter".... but hey its just Sony being Sony...

ibcFloU7ZCAPuz.gif

Epic Junior suicide

Pifje

What if... games actually focused on content and gameplay, and not on how the game is presented? Games like that would be greeeeat.

E: And for the love of Jesus stop making games "cinematic".

eFKac

Same here. Sony is really dropping the ball when it comes to exclusives so far this gen. What happened since the later years of the ps3? My guess is arrogance. Just for the record I have a ps4.

Arrogant Sony is back baby!

And my beloved "I have a PS4..." It's like starting a sentence with "I'm not racist but..."

Seriously? I must remember the be all, end all words of gospel that is the crap you spew from that hole in your face.

Oh my goodness. How long did it take you to get this post ready?

Same here. Sony is really dropping the ball when it comes to exclusives so far this gen. What happened since the later years of the ps3?My guess is arrogance. Just for the record I have a ps4.

There we have it. I love how you felt obliged to state that you own a PS4 as if it would change anything.

Amir0x

Banned
Are there really though? I really can't think of 5.

Yeah. If you go through any developer and look at their top games and related interviews, see how many reference being 'cinematic' or 'filmic' or 'better than hollywood' or some other hint toward the movie industry. It's all encoded in the way games are made. More big name voice actors, Kevin Spacey, Andy Serkis, more focus on cutscenes and QTE and at-a-distance gameplay. Illusion of choice more and more transparently leads you down a single narrow hallway; games now refuse to throw a challenge at you because they feel dying takes you out of that cinematic experience.

So while there may only be 5 or 6 out and out "Movies-as-games" studios like Quantic Dream or Telltale Games, there's 30 or 40 developers who make huge games where being movie-like is a part of their philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom