• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Unfortunately, both DriveClub and The Order actually hearken back to older times. They feel like experiences one might have had on the PS2 with cutting edge visuals. I actually really like that about them and have enjoyed them quite a bit. They actually almost feel out of place in 2014/2015 in that sense.

I feel kind of sad knowing that these games will be viewed as failures and will likely put a dead stop to this type of design.

Interestingly, I also lump Alien Isolation and The Evil Within in with these games. These are types of experiences I want these days. The Evil Within was shredded as well and suffered from annoying technical faults while Alien has a pretty limited fan base as well. It has occurred to me that I'm not really in line with what's popular these days. :\

Driveclub is actually a phenomenal game, one of the best racing titles of the last decade, and many critics just outright got it wrong and I could articulate why that was point by point. They were mad lazy reviewing Driveclub. It deserved to be critiqued for the online functionality issues, but other than that the foundation and content in-game was amazing for the simcade genre.

This doesn't seem to be a similar issue. There really does just seem to be like a profoundly mediocre product underneath all that pomp. Naughty Dog definitely has a competitor for most technically competent developer now, but at what cost did that come? Maybe the next Order will be as great a leap in quality as Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1.

labaronx

psst $160 is pocket change compared to what I already spent on Batman Arkham Knight (Limited and Batmobile Editions in full).

Did you preorder both limited editions like i did...

Scores suck but thats life. Still cant wait to play it myself tonight

_DiGiTaL_

Playstation fans..... :(
sbIl5V1.gif

Primeau31

This is terrible for AAA titles. At this rate even Uncharted 4 will not deliver. Very disappointed at Sony exclusives.

Feel sorry for RAD but it looks they had their heads up their buts during development ignoring all the criticism up until this day.

Hopefully it'll come out one day for PS plus. I'll ty it then for sure.

I have absolutely zero idea what Uncharted 4 or Naughty Dog has to do with any of this.

and neither do you tbh.

Steel

Banned
I can deal with SHORT
I can deal with LINEAR
I can deal with CUTSCENES
I can deal with NO MP

I can not deal with QTEs

Has ANYONE ever liked them? Almost every review lists it as a "CON" or "-".
You never see "Awesome QTEs", "Tension Filled QTEs", "Good Use Of QTEs"

Why in the world does any developer still include them, let alone make it a huge part of the game?
I honestly think most of the 4,5,6 scores would be 6,7,8 if just the QTEs were gone.

I personally don't mind QTE's myself, they're not terrible if done well.

I have more problems with NO MP, linear and the shortness myself. But each of those individually isn't a deal breaker.

Hubble

Wow, I did not expect such low review scores especially from reading here but I started to become suspicious of the embargo date.

Totally not expected.

A shame when I think the story has huge potential.

Loakum

Banned
I'll have to try independent thinking sometime. Maybe once I have an extra $200 or so to throw away on crap :p

different tastes man. I'm just not ready to dismiss The Order 1886 as crap, based on what a reviewer (several reviewers) says. I'll judge it for myself, once I play it tomorrow. Still, what I've seen of the game thus far, I like. Call me crazy, but I love cinematic story driven games. I can respect other who don't like them, but I just so happen to love them.

Catdaddy

Still buying tomorrow, didn't pre-order - but reading between the lines sounds like a game I'll like.

When was the original release date? This wasn't supposed to be in the PS4 launch window was it?

Driveclub is actually a phenomenal game, one of the best racing titles of the last decade, and many critics just outright got it wrong and I could articulate why that was point by point. They were mad lazy reviewing Driveclub. It deserved to be critiqued for the online functionality issues, but other than that the foundation and content in-game was amazing for the simcade genre.

This doesn't seem to be a similar issue. There really does just seem to be like a profoundly mediocre product underneath all that pomp. Naughty Dog definitely has a competitor for most technically competent developer now, but at what cost did that come? Maybe the next Order will be as great a leap in quality as Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1.
Given the investment into the engine, I can't see Sony just tossing them away. They'll get another chance to make an Order game. Hopefully they can learn from these missteps.

They must not have nailed the story. If the story is mediocre than people won't ignore how simple the game is. So from the reviews I read its a really pretty game, tons of atmosphere but with an average story and a super simple and linear tps design. Which sucks. Personally I expect more out of these types of games now than pick up gun and shoot and now and walk down the next hallway. Exploration, collectibles, rpg elements, new game +, player choices and shit like that.

The story is cool, but it's just a prologue. It ends halfway through what would be a rewarding, complete storyline.

I know I will get trolled for this , but it may be time for Sony to look at replacing Shu . Sony was always known to have great first party exclusives, but this gen we have had knack, killzone. Driveclub which is a great game but launched after multiple delays , and was broke as heck at launch which killed the buzz for the game . Infamous which was beautiful, but scored rather average, and now the order , which appears to be another ryse. If his job is to manage first party games. I would say he has done a poor job overall. In my opinion

Don't forget Little big planet 3 issues and reviews.

SmithnCo

I can deal with SHORT
I can deal with LINEAR
I can deal with CUTSCENES
I can deal with NO MP

I can not deal with QTEs

Has ANYONE ever liked them? Almost every review lists it as a "CON" or "-".
You never see "Awesome QTEs", "Tension Filled QTEs", "Good Use Of QTEs"

Why in the world does any developer still include them, let alone make it a huge part of the game?
I honestly think most of the 4,5,6 scores would be 6,7,8 if just the QTEs were gone.

Because it's easier to make a cutscene and slap some button prompts on it than design good gameplay systems.

meanspartan

Reading several of the worst reviews they reflect what I expected. Some reviewers still holding on to bad PR statements and using them to fuel their desire for something to be worse than it actually is. The game is far from revolutionary but it is also not a bad game this is pretty pathetic, journalism at its worst.

Looking at the scores of more recent games and then looking at the score the Order received just confirms these scores were set in stone quite a while ago.

Yes, all these mainstream giant outlets like IGN and Gamespot wanted to spite Sony, who they need to have a good relationship with to keep getting access.

Get your head out your ass dude. You are totally allowed to keep on liking this game (and keep the picture as your Gaf avatar), but let go of the persecution complex. It's not some grand conspiracy, it's just a mediocre game.

Angel_DvA

i'm feeling bad for RAD but, Sony really need to do something for their exclusives on PS4 cause they aren't really good this far, Bloodborne will be different for sure but it's a really niche game.

Alienous

I loved the QTEs in RE4. I think it's all about how you implement them. You can do QTEs while still making the game feel responsive.

It served a purpose in RE4. You were always on edge, even when you were watching a scene play.

In The Order: 1886, from what I've seen, it's much more "I guess we have to let the player do something. Fuck, alright, tap this button player. Well done. Ok, keep watching".

Unfortunately, both DriveClub and The Order actually hearken back to older times. They feel like experiences one might have had on the PS2 with cutting edge visuals. I actually really like that about them and have enjoyed them quite a bit. They actually almost feel out of place in 2014/2015 in that sense.

I feel kind of sad knowing that these games will be viewed as failures and will likely put a dead stop to this type of design.

Interestingly, I also lump Alien Isolation and The Evil Within in with these games. These are types of experiences I want these days. The Evil Within was shredded as well and suffered from annoying technical faults while Alien has a pretty limited fan base as well. It has occurred to me that I'm not really in line with what's popular these days. :\

Everything has to be fetch quests and open world, throw in a half assed rpg system and you got this gens AAA game.

RoKKeR

Can't say I'm not surprised by any of these reviews, all in line with what I expected given what we know about the game.

Again I'll say that I'd love to play this game at some point down the line, but not at a $60 entry point.

Sounds like a lot of talent bogged down by misguided direction. Doubt I'll play this anytime soon as it represents a lot of the trends in gaming that bug me, but I'll probably borrow a friend's copy, rent it, or pick it up late gen in a bargain bin just to admire the production value.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
They're having a laugh, it's what they do. I love that they're not serious about everything.

Still, as funny as it is making fun of fanboys , it's critics laughing at the expense of creators.

RAD is getting lambasted for a misguided although artistically brilliant game, having their efforts antagonized (4/10) while lesser games get comparatively given a free pass.

It doesn't seem fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom