• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World |OT| Everything is True

JDS 2.0

Banned
I am totally sorry, go up on the main site http://www.thesecretworld.com/ and there is the form at the right side of the page "Sign up for the Trial" - it's a bit weird.

that one just gives script errors.

Traceback (innermost last):

Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 119, in publish

Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply

Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object

Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__

Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec

derFeef

Group finder will be in 1.2 - good!

lfg_tool.jpg

With the tool you can find other players from any Dimension who want to group up for any playfield or dungeon in the game. When you unlock the harder difficulties, Elite and Nightmare, these will also become available as options in the Group Finder tool.

derFeef

Funcom seems to have a lot of talented people, but they also seem to have a lot of business jerks on the top. I could not even imagine what it feels like creating such a game for 5 years, and then getting fired.

http://twitter.com/mBruusgaard/status/245080383350267904

So, they fired the lead designer of TSW (Forced leave, but he already has a new job). That doesn't make me feel better about buying a lifetime sub ;(

Yeah, I saw his Twitter posts last night. Apparently he was let go back when they did the initial round of cuts and was just keeping quiet about it. This definitely can't be good. :/

With the August, issue 2 delays, I wonder if they will still release issue 3 in September. I kind of doubt it.

inm8num2

This is why the gaming community disappoints me.

Cookie cutter stuff like Diablo 3 (a very bland, dumbed down game centered around an auction house designed to make more money and give the game some pay to win aspects) sells like crazy. Games like TSW, while not perfect, dare to do something different and inventive, but many gamers choose to not even give it a try.

Then they complain that there isn't enough innovation. Gee, you think?

derFeef

Well, yeah, after firing 50% of your employees... a sour taste for sure.

Anyway, 1.2 is live, update notes here:
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_2_digging_deeper_game_update_1.2

Highlights

Brand new missions, the rocket launcher - our first auxiliary weapon including its own mission line - and the plastic surgery and barber shop are now all available as part of The Secret World Issue #2: Digging Deeper. Please click here for more information about the new missions in Issue #2.

And there is also a new title available if you complete all of the Digging Deeper missions!

Top changes
  • Two additional dungeon Nightmare modes are now available: The Facility and Hell Eternal.
  • The plastic surgeon's shop Modern Prometheus in New York is now open for business.
  • Visit Ockham's Razor barber shop in London for a new haircut or change of facial hair styles.
  • You can now access a Looking for Group (LFG) Tool using the Shift+C keyboard short cut or via the in-game menu.
  • You can now equip an 8th active/passive ability! This is reserved only for auxiliary abilities.
  • All lair NPCs now have a chance to drop Bind on Pickup rare core items.
  • All Lair bosses will now drop two Bind on Pickup rare items, 1 rare signet, 1 rare Glyph kit, and two Region boss blueprints.
  • All Region bosses will now drop a loot bag containing 2-4 blueprints to summon that boss, 3 epic Bind on Pickup items, 1 epic signet, 1 epic Glyph kit and a unique Raid Puzzle Piece.

• NEW Lair Kill missions :
    • From Beyond the Iron Curtain (The Carpathian Fangs)
    • The Spoils of Cold War (The Shadowy Forest)
    • Midnight Mass (The Besieged Farmlands)
    • Sinking Feelings (The Savage Coast)
    • Unto the Beach (Kingsmouth)
    • Citadel of Pain (City of the Sun God)
    • Return of the Red Nights (The Scorched Desert)
    • The House always Wins (Blue Mountain)

TheYanger

I had to cancel my sub, really wish I didn't :/ I love the game but I have so little time I haven't been able to log in. I almost feel guilty just because I know how Funcom needs the cash and it's legitimately the most forward-thinking MMO in years, but I haven't logged in since I did the issue 1 content and I don't see it changing for now. Feel turrible about this decision Gaf.

derFeef

No worries man, enjoy your other games. I have not played much either and I am guilty too since a lifetime is worse for Funcom, from a financial perspective. Hope they pull through and hire some people back soon.

Yes most definitely. Thanks for posting the notes. Now I can finally edit my dudes dorky hair! Fuck yea new content!

There is even more dorky hair now! Will post my characters change soon :)
The Lair changes sound great, we need to get a 5 man group going again. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and Dark Souls are not helping.

edit: New Feef looks so badass, and goofy ;) Also rocketlaunchers everywhere.

Heads up for the face surgery, when you are in edit mode, your face does not exactly look like what you are going to get (bug I guess...). So create a new character and note your settings, then go to the face surgery.

Effect

Well, yeah, after firing 50% of your employees... a sour taste for sure.

Anyway, 1.2 is live, update notes here:
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_2_digging_deeper_game_update_1.2

True :( but if they're making money off it then that means the game can continue and grow and hopefully get to the point where they can hire some if not all of those people back as they're already familiar with the game when it comes time to expand the game. Some would have lost their job anyway I think because you don't need the same amount of people on staff once the game goes live. At least I think that's usually how it turns out.

No worries man, enjoy your other games. I have not played much either and I am guilty too since a lifetime is worse for Funcom, from a financial perspective. Hope they pull through and hire some people back soon.

There is even more dorky hair now! Will post my characters change soon :)
The Lair changes sound great, we need to get a 5 man group going again. Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and Dark Souls are not helping.

edit: New Feef looks so badass, and goofy ;) Also rocketlaunchers everywhere.

Heads up for the face surgery, when you are in edit mode, your face does not exactly look like what you are going to get (bug I guess...). So create a new character and note your settings, then go to the face surgery.

I'm in the exact same position, and was waiting for Issue 2 to get some games in. Plus I've been incredibly busy with my last semester of college. I'm looking forward to seeing the new additions.

We definitely have to get a group together to check out the lair changes.

I'm going to carve out some time this weekend to check out issue 2. The NA/EU timezones make it hard to coordinate but maybe if I hop on around 12 EDT on Saturday we can get a group going.

Finally, some good news.

I wanted to make a couple of minor changes to my character but now I'm scared to mess with anything if it's actually bugged.

Edit: Popped in for a minute after the patch and just tried the LFG tool. I checked for all dungeons - 2 healers looking for group and all the rest are DPS. lol... :(

Tarib said:
The servers will come down for maintenance on September 26th at 11:00 GMT / 7am EDT / 4am PDT (check this link to see when this is in your timezone). The downtime is scheduled to last 3 hours.

Morteia said:
Additional Information: During the downtime on September 26th, "Issue #3 - The Cat God" will be deployed to the live servers.

Wow, amazing work there. It looks like they are back on schedule but no other information about the update has been posted yet.

derFeef

Wait what, Issue 3? Man I need to update the OP.

I did the rocket launcher mission this weekend, it was fucking hard! I need to grind SP's though :D

edit: hint by the CM?
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords. May they live long and prospurrrrrr!

Bru

Work and married life have conspired to keep me away from this excellent game... but no more!

With the wife away this weekend I can spend some quality time exploring Egypt and work my way through Issue 2.

If anyone wants to group up, give me a shout.

derFeef

Fantastic cover!

TSW_Issue_3_Cover_600.jpg

Two new missions are available with Issue #3:

'The Binding', which brings you to the City of the Sun God in Egypt to learn more about the Seven Sentinels. This truly epic investigation mission is definitely one of the most challenging and extensive
'Dogs of War' plays on the mounting conflict between the vampires and their allies. Use your wits and battle prowess to instigate a war between the werewolves and the vampires.

There are also a full set of new Lair missions available!

The Cat God himself, after whom Issue #3 is named, will make his appearance in October as we are getting closer to Halloween. The Halloween event will run through the end of October and into the first week of November, and will include several missions which set off a brand new storyline including a new villain. So there'll be plenty of opportunities to take on the challenge and learn what's behind this new, dark threat to The Secret World come October!

Details here:
http://thesecretworld.com/news/issue_3_the_cat_god_now_live

Update Notes:
http://thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_3_the_cat_god_game_update_1_3

edit: updated the OT.

ExReey

Great!

Resubbing right now, can't wait to finally have some interesting quests to do after having been bored to death by GW2.

derFeef

Having played in City of the Sun God recently, I think it's my favourite area in terms of mystery and exploration, so much to see.

8027592270_aa3c98efc3_b.jpg

8027592946_e4abd41f2b_b.jpg

8027600409_12fd9c253d_b.jpg

Also great area for face surgery ;)

8027609117_937682062e_b.jpg

Keinu

I haven't had time to try this game yet, but got an email from Funcom yesterday with the message: "Half price on The Secret World this weekend only!".

Guess it's time to give it a try :)

derFeef

I haven't had time to try this game yet, but got an email from Funcom yesterday with the message: "Half price on The Secret World this weekend only!".

Guess it's time to give it a try :)

Remember that there is a 3-day trial. And you can expand it to 5 days if you do enough missions.

Nopren

Will you only be able to login to the game if you have an active subscription? Because I get an authentication failure when trying.

EDIT. I got it working, guess you need a subscription.

derFeef

Played a lot this weekend, was really fun doing TSW missions again. Finished up the Egypt arc and Unleashed missions. Got me some nice weapons and unlocks :)

Now I want that sick Orochi skin for the rocketlauncher (drops in dungeons) the lady has left from me:

8040562283_bf869c1c75_b.jpg

edit: I know this thread is dead but I am going to post it anyway :p
Podcast with Joel, some infos: http://oceanicgamer.com/2012/10/fla...t-world-joel-bylos-interview-special-edition/

- Kingsmouth and Savage Coast are tuned down in difficulty, that's why most of us hit a wall at BM.
- Story bosses may get a nerf
- Starter Decks (inner ring decks) coming with Issue 4
- Free Trial is going to be changed in about two weeks (I guess longer access, maybe "play up to X" ?)
- Body shape change is difficult because of clothing, but "he should not talk about it since it should be a surprise" ... heh.
- They are starting hiring people back (to work on the Lego game ;)

Also 25% of Conan players left after they reached the FIRST CITY (Tortage) because the performance was shit. Jeeeze...

owlbeak

I, too, am still keeping up with the thread. I've been moving and starting a new job so I haven't had time to play but plan to soon! :D

derFeef

Heads up if you have bonus points, they are gone by 30th October, so use them!
An Automaton pet is available now, it has a freaking jetpack.

8051618936_c8aede82d9_c.jpg

Heads up if you have bonus points, they are gone by 30th October, so use them!
An Automaton pet is available now, it has a freaking jetpack.

8051618936_c8aede82d9_c.jpg

I thought they were going to expire on Sept. 30th, so I logged in and spent all my bonus points already. :(

Hmmm... that Automaton looks awesome. Hopefully they do another event soon that will net me some more bonus points.

Kaspanova

Neo Member
Looking forward to the Halloween events, considering this is a horror themed MMO. This should be their Bread&Butter.

<3 this game

derFeef

Holy fuck!

Issue 4 adds reticule combat!

http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/10/the-secret-world-update-adding-reticule-combat/

&#8220;This is something I wanted to bring into the game from the moment I put on the Game Director shoes as I feel it makes combat a lot more direct and exciting. We are not forcing it upon anyone, though. You will be able to freely switch between traditional targeting and the reticule depending on what you feel is best for you.&#8221;

Friday live stream showcase the new combat (or targeting, to be more precise).

derFeef

I did. I liked it but switching back and forth was going on my nerves sometimes, I hope they can find a middleground in TSW. Make the target active that is in the reticule and it should be fine.

I am more excited about the movement feel because they apparently need to implement mouselook etc. :)

I did. I liked it but switching back and forth was going on my nerves sometimes, I hope they can find a middleground in TSW. Make the target active that is in the reticule and it should be fine.

I am more excited about the movement feel because they apparently need to implement mouselook etc. :)

Mouselook and reticule targeting sounds awesome but I'm not sure how it would work in the context of Secret World's current combat system and I'm not so sure about making it optional. They probably just didn't want to alienate their current subscribers.

I'm still hoping they reduce the dodge cooldown or allow more uses before it goes into cooldown, maybe implement an endurance or stamina bar even. It feels useless most of the time.

derFeef

I agree, we will see, but that's something I wanted from the beginning of the early beta days.
I don't have any issues with the dodging, but maybe make it upgradable like the sprint? Basic is one dodge, second stage are two dodges etc.

edit: Joel development letter. The game is in the right hands I think. Big Australian hands...

http://thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_joel_bylos_reveals_his_plans_for_the_secret_world

oh wow, reworking the animation system...

Effect

I just hope some kind of housing or apartment system is planned for the future. Rift's new system that is coming with Storm Legion is tempting me to sign back up for that when it comes out but I want to head back to TSW. I'm a sucker for those systems.

Top Bottom