• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
LOVE & TRUTH said:
What do you mean?

You don't have to time it right... if you press the button early, over and over, it will accept it when the game "is ready" and then you can just mash the next button.

You are only penalized for late presses.

iirc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I finally got the game! It's a good game to play over the Christmas vacation.

Currently in the 3rd world of Sly 1. The game is pretty easy at times, not to mention it's raining trophies with this game. :D

recklessmind said:
You don't have to time it right... if you press the button early, over and over, it will accept it when the game "is ready" and then you can just mash the next button.

You are only penalized for late presses.
Thank you, thank you!!! I followed your instruction and was able to beat the voodoo Simon Says on my first try!

Two more questions:

1. Can I beat the final boss now and collect bottles later? Or I have to collect all the bottles before going to the final boss?
2. I keep hearing about the ability of "sensing bottles" or something like that. Where do I obtain that?

GeoramA

LOVE & TRUTH said:
Thank you, thank you!!! I followed your instruction and was able to beat the voodoo Simon Says on my first try!

Two more questions:

1. Can I beat the final boss now and collect bottles later? Or I have to collect all the bottles before going to the final boss?
2. I keep hearing about the ability of "sensing bottles" or something like that. Where do I obtain that?
1. Yes, you can go back and collect everything after you beat the game. There's a vault in the snow level you cannot open until you beat Clockwerk.

2. That ability is in a vault somewhere, in one of the earlier levels.

It helps to look for all the bottles the first time through, thanks to all the great abilities.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LOVE & TRUTH said:

1. Yes. You can come back and replay levels at any time, even if you've beaten the game.

2. A few safes will give you the ability to spot the bottles with your binoculars, but you have to unlock it in every level. I've been told that nearby bottles make a sound, but I've never noticed it.

oops, too late

acevans2

I've had this game for a while, but I haven't gotten around to digging in til yesterday.

Sly 1 was great, but holy shit I love Sly 2! I can't believe I passed on these in the PS2 era.

Evolved1

Snuggler said:
I've been told that nearby bottles make a sound, but I've never noticed it.

In Sly 2 the bottles makes a distinctive sound when you're close.

Merovin

Just ordered this with some vouchers from Christmas, never got to play them in the PS2 days, so looking forward to it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm gonna jump back in to this today, I'll have to keep an ear out for that sound because I'm not leaving the Palace level until I find that last damn clue bottle. I've been stuck at 29/30 for a long time, but I can't move on until I have 100% in the level.

I'm on the second part of Canada on Sly 2. Boy, do some (read: most) of the missions drag and there's some pretty sucky ones. Most involve Bentely. Some of the mid game hubs aren't very nice to navigate either. I think I hated the prison level with those bloody birds.

I just want to finish this bitch up now.

Evolved1

Snuggler said:
Yeah, I'm gonna jump back in to this today, I'll have to keep an ear out for that sound because I'm not leaving the Palace level until I find that last damn clue bottle. I've been stuck at 29/30 for a long time, but I can't move on until I have 100% in the level.

Sounds kind of like a "tinking" sound... if that makes any sense. Hard to describe. You have to be in the general vicinity to hear it. I don't know... something like within 15 - 20 in-game feet.

Katana_Strikes said:
I'm on the second part of Canada on Sly 2. Boy, do some (read: most) of the missions drag and there's some pretty sucky ones. Most involve Bentely. Some of the mid game hubs aren't very nice to navigate either. I think I hated the prison level with those bloody birds.

having a hard time getting thru 2, & was disappointed when i peeked at 3 & saw that it follow the same mission-based formula - far preferred the level setup in the first game, & don't really like the bentley/murray gameplay very much...

also, i continue to find it very hard to get into either the main characters or the 'sense of humor' of these games - both're okay, in a cartoony kinda way, but pale in comparison to the cast & the truly inspired, anarchic lunacy of, say, the ratchet & clank games (&, yes, if i'm gonna get into a platformer series, lovable characters, & a good sense of humor, are sorta a necessity :) )...

i guess what i'm saying is, despite the fact that the games look & play well, i'm just not feeling much attachment to them (unfortunately)...

bridegur

semiconscious said:
having a hard time getting thru 2, & was disappointed when i peeked at 3 & saw that it follow the same mission-based formula - far preferred the level setup in the first game, & don't really like the bentley/murray gameplay very much...

Likewise. The mission structure in the original allows for a ton more variety, while the sequels really start to drag.

Paznos

Katana_Strikes said:

Yeah that's true some of the missions did drag, just when I thought I'd be finish or almost finish there would be even more objectives to do.

bridegur said:
Likewise. The mission structure in the original allows for a ton more variety, while the sequels really start to drag.

That's odd, I had heard 2 was the definitive Sly of the franchise. Somehow missed out on Sly in the PS2 days, picking this up soon.

Evolved1

jonnybryce said:
That's odd, I had heard 2 was the definitive Sly of the franchise. Somehow missed out on Sly in the PS2 days, picking this up soon.

There's quite an epic battle that's been raging since the PS2 days as to which Sly was superior.

It's my opinion that the Sly 1 side is ahead, but not by very much. Most everyone hates 3.

except me!!!!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tylahedras said:
Do they even carry this at GS? I've been to like 3 of them since it released and they didn't have a copy at any.

That's where I got my copy, but that was on release day. Seems they probably were only sent a few copies, which is a shame.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Nice to see others playing the game. I recently finished all 3 games, sly 1 was definately my favourite of the series followed by sly 3. Sly 2 was too long and repetitive, the mission setup was the same for all episodes

Why the change of voice actors in the third game? It was very jarring in the context of the disc trilogy.

Cruzader

Banned
Not sure if this was posted but this game will be sold for $20 on Kmart starting today till Jan 1st.

Holy shit, that is a steal and if it wasnt for the damn snow, I would of bought it today. Its up online but its sold out atm.

GAF get this!!!!!!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Platinumed Sly Cooper 1. :D

Will do Sly 2 on December 30.

I'm on the last level of Sly 2 (or I assume it's the last level going by the percentages) so I can't speak for Sly 3, but I can't really decide which is better.

For overall controls I have to give it to Sly 2, but for level design Sly 1 wins. Now I can appreciate that they were trying to take the various discreet levels of 1 and meld them into a whole area, but ultimately I think they ended up being less interesting for losing some of the linearity. Also they overuse Murray and Bentley, they should have been limited to one mission each per level (and maybe a little bit in the final heist).
The first Contessa level with just Bentley was by far the worst thing I've played so far in the series, the sense of relief at getting Sly back was palpable

shwimpy

Sly 1 is so much better than 2 or 3 that I can't get through either of them. :lol Sly 1 is near perfect. I had a blast replaying it in HD.

shwimpy said:
Sly 1 is so much better than 2 or 3 that I can't get through either of them. :lol Sly 1 is near perfect. I had a blast replaying it in HD.

Kinda fuuny, I hated Sly 1. It felt so archaic & plain with it's Crash Bandicoot with stealth gameplay.
I always thought the later 2 destroyed the first game.

gdt

Cruzader said:
Not sure if this was posted but this game will be sold for $20 on Kmart starting today till Jan 1st.

Holy shit, that is a steal and if it wasnt for the damn snow, I would of bought it today. Its up online but its sold out atm.

GAF get this!!!!!!

I'll pick it up tomorrow, then :D .

For me, it's Sly 2 > Sly 1 > Sly 3.

Sly 1 is a great platformer, but it also tries too much and isn't as good with stealth and giving that whole heist feel. Sly 2 ditches the whole hub world with levels design for a more open world but still has great platforming sections and also has even better stealth section. You really do feel like an international thief, pickpocketing and stealing items laying about to sell on the black market. It also does the heist very well in each world, the set up, the preparation and the execution. Sly 3 does things like Sly 2 did but the focus over so many characters ruins it. Also, no freakin clue bottles, I mean seriously, what the fuck.

wouwie

According to my save games, i played 12 hours on Sly 1 (replayed some levels for the bottles) and 15 hours on Sly2, which i haven't finished yet (i'm in episode 6). I'm feeling slightly burned out by it at this point but i will continue with Sly 2 later.

For me, Sly 1 is better than Sly 2. I can understand why they made Sly 2 the way they did though. The problem with Sly 2 is that it is a bit too long with the same missions returning and dragging on quite a lot. Also, too much time is spent moving across the hub in order to reach the mission start points.

Still, fun games and very happy i purchased them. I'm curious about Sly 3. Seems to be the lesser of the 3 judging by comments.

Despite not being perfect, for me these games have an addictive quality to them. Controls are easy and fun and the game world is attractive and nicely presented.

I am SO relieved after finishing Sly 2. Jesus, it just goes on and on and on and... Game took me 19 hours to finish and that was with getting 100%... about 10 hours longer than it should be. Starts off good... then there's some crappy hub levels. You get to Canada and it's lovely snow, then there's more levels and another level. This game just doesn't want to end.

I really, REALLY started to hate the missions. There were so repetitve and long winded. Need to blow up 4 generators? Well I'm going to have to take 4 photos and then get 4 keys off 4 guards, then hack 4 consoles before having to bug 4 locations then destroy 4.... ARGHHHHHH, I can't take it anymore!!! Only to have to do mostly similar missions again in the next world.

If the game was much shorter and the missions not so repetitive it would have been a much pleasanter experience, but it felt like torture some times. Some orrid tasks to take part in that could have been fun. Also, what is it with this series and shitty last bosses.

Overall inFamous is the best Sly game in the series I feel. But then they did get 3 games prior to get it right. Hopefully Sly 4 gets it right too.

Sly 2 definitely has way too much padding. There aren't any sort of missions that I dislike doing, and I even like playing as the other guys, but there's no need to repeat so many objectives.

Katana_Strikes said:
Overall inFamous is the best Sly game in the series I feel. But then they did get 3 games prior to get it right. Hopefully Sly 4 gets it right too.

finally played infamous after finishing sly 1, & i agree that, for the most part, it's a much better game. tho, for me, sucker punch's continuing (& glaring) weakness is its seeming inability to create a likable, memorable cast of characters. it's just weird...

recklessmind said:
There's quite an epic battle that's been raging since the PS2 days as to which Sly was superior.

:lol Damn. Well in any case it's good news that they're both seen as worthy because I was worried I'd have to force myself through the first one to get to the second. Now I know it's not unanimously inferior or insufferable.

It's my opinion that the Sly 1 side is ahead, but not by very much. Most everyone hates 3.

except me!!!!
:lol :lol :lol

krae_man

Foliorum Viridum said:
What's the reward for doing time trials in the first game?

Commentary on the levels while you play them and I think a video if you complete them all, I can't remember.

Got the Platinum trophy for both Sly and Sly 2, currently ploughing through Sly 3 and am astounded people consider Sly 3 the worst of the trio. I loved the original Sly to bits (great level design, great length, etc), but when it tried to offer variation it fell flat (the Murray race levels for example).

I feel like Sly 2 tried to up the variety but the whole game feels dragged out. While there's a good amount of different things to do in Sly 2, they are repeated way too much. What I did like about Sly 2 was the idea of the hub-world (though the design of these is inconsistent) and the final "heist" missions. I think they really nailed that feel of a cohesive team using their strengths to deal with a particular situation.

That said, Sly 2 was about three hours to long for me so I was worried when I went into Sly 3. But they solved the problem with variety. Nearly every mission in Sly 3 gives you something different to do, and while I can understand people prefering the pure platforming of the original Sly, I really like the idea of tackling different situations with different characters and exploring their abilities. Outside of the main gang, I agree, the "additional" characters are a bit weak -- but they are hardly used in reality.

I think if Sly 4 keeps the formula and structure of Sly 3, but balances it all with more platforming, I'll be supremely happy.

All said, for all the trio's weak points, the whole collection is fantastic. I hope it sold alright and people are playing it, what a great little package.

Can't wait for the ICO Collection. Kinda hoping for Jak & Daxter now.

Bleh was hoping to Platinum all 3 but looking at what you need to do for Sly 3 (100%) you need to do these shitty challenges. It's bad enough having to do some of the stuff in the main story but having to do them again against the clock and with taking no damage etc... I fear it would break me.

Katana_Strikes said:
Bleh was hoping to Platinum all 3 but looking at what you need to do for Sly 3 (100%) you need to do these shitty challenges. It's bad enough having to do some of the stuff in the main story but having to do them again against the clock and with taking no damage etc... I fear it would break me.

I was dreading this but they're not that bad, very few of them are any more difficult than they are in the main game.

shwimpy

revolverjgw said:
Sly 2 definitely has way too much padding. There aren't any sort of missions that I dislike doing, and I even like playing as the other guys, but there's no need to repeat so many objectives.
This. Plus, the camera controls drive me insane. Sucks they didn't fix it so you have the choice to invert only one (y) axis.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finished Sly Cooper, great game, just as good as I remembered. Started Sly 2 and remember again why I never liked the sequels. Wtf is this open world crap? Stupid stealth missions where getting caught is automatic fail....so not fun. Ugh.

Sly Cooper will always be my favorite.

Well I have to say, so far so good with Sly 3. I'm just on doing the Black Barron missions (3rd setting) and having almost been burned out off Sly 2, this is a more enjoyable affair. At least so far. Still a few peculiar gameplay decisions but nothing like some of the horrendous parts of 2 (WTF at those tank controls).

Weird that they took out the bottles in this game (wonder why the decision to do that was) and so far I haven't found any rare pieces of art to sell other than pick-pocketing.

plasmasd

Got this tonight at K-mart for $20. Never played a Sucker Punch game before, but I'm having a great time with Sly 1.

.la1n

Wish they would go the prince of persia HD route and just offer the individual games for download. I would pick up Sly 1 in a heartbeart but no way i'm getting stuck with 2&3 as a result.

Infamous suffered from the same thing that plauged Sly 2, too many repetitive missions. Sucker Punch seems to love dragging out the end game. I was having fun playing infamous, getting new powers, even with repetitive missions here and there. All of a sudden it's the end and i'm happy as can be until wait another mission, then another, then another, then another, followed by a boss with waaaaay too much health. Not a difficult boss mind you, just one that extends your play time with his unnecessary big health bar.

Went off track there, sorry. Sly 1 is by far the superior of the trilogy.

Espada

Katana_Strikes said:
Well I have to say, so far so good with Sly 3. I'm just on doing the Black Barron missions (3rd setting) and having almost been burned out off Sly 2, this is a more enjoyable affair. At least so far. Still a few peculiar gameplay decisions but nothing like some of the horrendous parts of 2 (WTF at those tank controls).

Weird that they took out the bottles in this game (wonder why the decision to do that was) and so far I haven't found any rare pieces of art to sell other than pick-pocketing.

Yeah, after Sly 2 the third game really provides a ton of variety in missions. Also, not repeating a damn area for two chapters (Contessa's place) really helped. My goodness, the little things in the last one really add up. I'm left wanting
a game that lets you spit out pirate insults, a bi-plane air combat game, etc...
:lol

Rolf NB

Another Sly game down, another platinum trophy. It felt inevitable. Maybe I could somehow managed to not get the 1500 coins trophy?

So I really like this latch-on platforming. They can give you all these cool rims and poles and climbing spots, but without making it infuriatingly hard to land on them. Just press O and you'll snap into place. Very nice. I'm actually frequently reminded of infamous. Especially when I'm running along power lines between buildings.

I wanted to say Sly 2 is much improved, but the piling on of stupid minigames toward the end soured me again. I hate when they do that. That was my biggest gripe with the first as well.
... well okay, the combat has been given a big overhaul, and that has to count for something.

I don't understand the complaints about Sly 2's structure. It is functionally the same thing as Sly 1: you finish a number of prerequisite missions, new missions become available. No mission is ever optional. The treasure keys are purely presentation, and they are so contrived at that. Sly 2's presentation is better because the treasure key crutch was replaced.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
alr1ghtstart said:
Locked saves!!? Why do you do this devs (especially on a SP only game)?

dunno , maybe because of the trophies. (very few games like Burnout did locked game saves pre-trophies era)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Totobeni said:
dunno , maybe because of the trophies. (very few games like Burnout did locked game saves pre-trophies era)
Wish games would offer a opt-out option for trophies to get around this :/

Loved the Pirates themed level on Sly 3. The ship parts could be a game in themselves with a bit more... depth to them.

Should have the game finished today, though having attempting some of the challenges last night I started going into Rage mode. The Murray bouncy ball to the top of the tower.... how the fuck!! Gonna have to catch some youtube videos. RAGE!

Woohoo!

pYWea.jpg

Took an age to do some of the challenges, particularly the Gauntlet (FUUUU) and last boss. But so relieved to have done it all.

Gotta say... bar the last level, Sly 3 is an enjoyable game and much better than 2. Better pacing, game length and less shitty missions that aren't repetitive. It has better hub worlds too, especially the pirate level, which broke the game up nicely.

Overall I'd go Sly 1 = Sly 3 >>>>>> Sly 2

I'm definitely burned out now of Sly. Sucker Punch should defo take their time with the 4th and make it extra special. I wouldn't say the series was brilliant, merely good but there's a lot of gameplay annoyances that sour the experience. Oh and learn how to do boss fights. Most/all in the game are shitty.

Rolf NB

Katana_Strikes said:
Gotta say... bar the last level, Sly 3 is an enjoyable game and much better than 2. Better pacing, game length and less shitty missions that aren't repetitive. It has better hub worlds too, especially the pirate level, which broke the game up nicely.

Overall I'd go Sly 1 = Sly 3 >>>>>> Sly 2
I'm in the opposite camp. Sly 2 is the ideal refinement of 1, the stealth gameplay is good, the combat works, and it's mostly about the platforming and exploration. It has plenty of missions layered on the core mechanics, taking place within the hub worlds organically. It sticks to one set of mechanics for the longest stretches of time between the three games.

Sly 1 has cool ideas but it's rough and limited. Enemies that just stand there while you whack them. It has a weird health system where sometimes you can take multiple hits, sometimes you can't. Checkpoints are at an absolute minimum. The hub worlds are too simple. The music is dreadful. The minigames are bad and plentiful, and the entire last chapter is one newly introduced game mechanic after another.

Sly 3 is more of a compendium of throwaway minigames. The core of the game, or let's say the previous games in the series, stealth and platforming, is barely recognizable under this burden.

Seriously think about all the shit you're doing in Sly 3. You run over blue scorpions to cool your tires. You row around mines in the sewers. You hop around in aboriginal ball form to pound the pistons into the ground. You throw miners into the electric fence. You yank the cannons off of tanks with your RC chopper. This kind of stuff keeps and keeps on happening. And the boss fights aren't any better.

Overall I'm even inclined to go 2 > 1 > 3. I don't even feel like finishing 3 anymore. Maybe it's Sly overdose. Then again, maybe not.

Top Bottom