• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection |OT| Fly Cooper: Band of Deeds

Mush said:
I'm having some problems here folks. I purchased the game last week and I'm having problems accessing my save files. They're right fucking there, in my save data folder, yet they're not there when I try to load them up in game.

Could it be that the copy I have now is a EU/PAL copy and the one I played when I was just renting was a NZ/PAL version?

That is exactly the reason.

Acrylic7

Is anyone worried about how he will look in 4? I was looking at the ad for Heroes on the Move, Sly looks weird in the face.
I have no idea if they are using that model or what. any thoughts?

Got this game a week ago. Passed Sly 1 and man I can't believe I missed out on this on ps2. AMAZING game. Up there with Jak and R&C.

Started Sly 2 its still fun as hell but I wish I didn't have to play as Bently or the hippo dude. Also I'm a little annoyed that they changed Carmelita's voice. I loved the hispanic accent that she had in the first one.

The graphics are pretty damn good for being ps2 games. The remastering really went well.

Acrylic7 said:
Is anyone worried about how he will look in 4? I was looking at the ad for Heroes on the Move, Sly looks weird in the face.

I'm too worried about how he will look, more worried about how the game will play.

fernoca

Acrylic7 said:
Nah.
His Move Heroes model looks different, because is not celshaded, but just regular with textures and fur. So he wouldn't look out of place compared to Jak,Ratchet and the rest.

So, don't worry..he will look the same as he always did (but better) in 4.

Grinchy

Banned
I was initially very impressed by the HD-ified Sly 1. I found myself turning my PS3 off, only to come right back to it a half hour later to play more, much in the way that I played games as a kid. The visuals are fantastic, the humor is good, some of the voice acting doesn't suck, and I like the level layouts very much.

But, I'm on the alligator chick boss, where you have to do the multi-stage QTE fest...and I think I failed it once or twice and I've never come back. It's not that it's too difficult, but every time I think about playing it again, I just don't. I'm annoyed by the thought of doing it.

I got it for $20 when Kmart did their deal, and a few times now I've been tempted to sell it on amazon for a healthy profit. I've beaten Demon's Souls on NG++ so I don't really feel like Sly 1's difficulty is what's hampering me, I feel more that the boss fights are on the annoying side. I've seen a few others mention this as well, but it appears like the majority of the people who played the game don't feel the same way.

Grinchy said:
But, I'm on the alligator chick boss, where you have to do the multi-stage QTE fest...and I think I failed it once or twice and I've never come back. It's not that it's too difficult, but every time I think about playing it again, I just don't. I'm annoyed by the thought of doing it.

Music and button displays are actually not in sync on the HD version (or so I've heard). This is how I did it :

- turn sound off ;
- mash the buttons ! The game doesn't punish you for additional inputs. E.g. if the sequence is /\ [ ] O, you can input /\ /\ /\ /\ [ ] [ ] [ ] OOOOO all right.

daffy

Banned
Really glad I got the chance to play this, took me a month but wow, what a great series :D

Sly II aside, I had fun with the entire collection ;)

Sly 3>Sly 1>>>>>>Sly 2 for me, can't wait for Sly 4, it will probably be the best one!!

storl026

I just got the platinum on Sly 2.

My opinion changed somewhat since I first played them. Before when I played them on PS2 ('04/'05) I would have ranked Sly 2 slightly ahead of Sly 1, but playing them back to back I would say I much prefer Sly 1 to Sly 2. I always played the Bentley and Murray missions just to get them out of the way. I don't really like how non-acrobatic they are compared to Sly.

I haven't ever played Sly 3 yet. It seems to be a really divisive love it / hate it game.

Where are the Jak& Daxter and Ratchet & Clank HD collections?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It took me almost 6 weeks to force my way through Sly 2. :(

I'm hoping I'll be one of the people who loves 3 because after playing 2 I don't know how it can be worse.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
FTH said:
Sly 3>Sly 1

Bleh 3 is not even a real Sly game, you don't even Play with Sly that much in it, it's a bad and boring mini games collection when Sucker Punch were tired of making games and just to slapped some mini games inspired from other games and put more Shitty friends and call it a game.

SykoTech

Fuzzy said:

I'm hoping I'll be one of the people who loves 3 because after playing 2 I don't know how it can be worse.

What exactly didn't you like about it? The additional characters, vehicle controls, and/or mini-games? If so, you will probably find Sly 3 even worse.

I quite enjoyed Sly 2 myself. Some of the vehicles were a pain to use, like that tank. And Bentley could be kind of a drag now and then, but I thought it was a fun ride overall. Sly 3 however...ugh. That one felt like a 3D Sonic game at times.
Hell, that underwater scuba diving mission made 3D Sonics look good.

I truly hope Sly 4 is a more focused experience. Make some levels linear like Sly 1, others more open like Sly 2, and keep Sly's friends and their random gameplay to a minimum.

Fuzzy said:

Don't even bother with 3. If you loved the platforming of the first game, expect even less of that in the third.

daffy

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Don't even bother with 3. If you loved the platforming of the first game, expect even less of that in the third.
I think he should definitely play it, given that it is much better than Sly 2 IMO

Totobeni said:
Bleh 3 is not even a real Sly game, you don't even Play with Sly that much in it, it's a bad and boring mini games collection when Sucker Punch were tired of making games and just to slapped some mini games inspired from other games and put more Shitty friends and call it a game.
II wasn't a Sly game either if you ask me, I have a feeling 4 won't be either unless it's a reboot.

Looking at it as a series going forward, I think they set up a pretty clear formula as to how the series would progress. I did love Sly 1, and maybe Sly1=Sly3 is a better equation thinking back on it, but Sly 3 took what I thought was the absolute crap that was Sly 2 and turned it into something playable and fun. Maybe I shouldn't even group Sly 2 & 3 in with 1, because the formula changed after the first one. They switched gameplay focus, and when I realized that, I accepted that Sly III was the best one for the current series.

Sly 1 is an anomaly, I don't think we'll get something like that again unless they go back to the drawing board and drop any continuity. Sly 1 had it's share of boring minigames as well, I thought the minigames in 3 were well-done, if not somewhat repetitive.

Maybe if I hadn't played Sly 2 and suffered through it, I may have thought of Sly 1 as the best in the series. But Sly III changed the abysmal formula in II and made it acceptable IMO.

fernoca

Don't know if it's a "big deal" but I just was gifted this. No, that's not the "big deal"...:p ...but that Best Buy is selling this for $19.99 till April 23.

Just started with the first one one, since it was the only one i played...a demo of back then, and really liking it so far. Just beat the first boss. Looks really clean and polished too. :)

Fuck the tank controls in Sly 2. FUCK THEM.

Absolutely retarded.

For as good as this game can be it has so many bullshit, unpolished minigames I hate it sometimes. I wish it focused more on the platforming of the first game. A more platformer focus + open world = win.

Barrett2

I really need to get back to this. Played the first game and enjoyed it, 3D was nice. Need to get around to playing the second game..

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Fuck the tank controls in Sly 2. FUCK THEM.

Absolutely retarded.

For as good as this game can be it has so many bullshit, unpolished minigames I hate it sometimes. I wish it focused more on the platforming of the first game. A more platformer focus + open world = win.

Came to say this.

All those frustration of controlling it, I mean just to go forward was a nuisance

Foliorum Viridum said:

I picked up the collection and I'm reworking through the second game. I never finished it back in the day and for good reason. It's such a chore to play and I just hate it. I want all the bullshit backtracking, infinite spawning enemies, and crappy minigames gone. The only reason I keep going is because of the easy trophies.

GraveRobberX said:
Came to say this.

All those frustration of controlling it, I mean just to go forward was a nuisance
It might honestly be the worst control scheme I've ever encountered in a game, and that's saying a lot.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I picked up the collection and I'm reworking through the second game. I never finished it back in the day and for good reason. It's such a chore to play and I just hate it. I want all the bullshit backtracking, infinite spawning enemies, and crappy minigames gone. The only reason I keep going is because of the easy trophies.
I got 100% on the first game a week after I got the game. That was back in December, and I started 2 almost immediately afterwards, so I've been playing it for 4/5 months now on and off. It's far too dragged out, padded with horrible minigames and even the good platforming/stealth sections seem to go on too long. I'm just starting chapter 6 now and my total playtime is about 12 hours, which is longer than the total time spent on the first game.

With more streamlining and a better focus on the gameplay elements that work it could be great, but as it stands it's a game that I can only come back to every week or so to put another hour in because the flaws add up far too quickly if you play it for an extended period.

I will finish it, but I'm pretty sure by the time I'm done it will have killed any enthusiasm for me to play the third. Especially when I haven't played any of the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games yet and I have them waiting for me...

acevans2

After finishing Sly 2 and 3, I'm not necessarily dying to play the next game. Both were overly long and had pacing issues.

I think any issues with the original trilogy should be forgiven and Sucker Punch should get the benefit of the doubt for the next game. inFamous was so good I think they've got much better as a studio.

... Unless inFamous 2 is the same drop in quality that Sly 2 was, in which case I take that back.

acevans2

Foliorum Viridum said:
I think any issues with the original trilogy should be forgiven and Sucker Punch should get the benefit of the doubt for the next game. inFamous was so good I think they've got much better as a studio.

... Unless inFamous 2 is the same drop in quality that Sly 2 was, in which case I take that back.
Looks like exactly the opposite! Infamous 2 is one of my most anticipated games. I just think SP shows a lot more creativity in that series than what I saw from Sly, so a new Sly doesn't excite me as much.

Yeah I think inFamous 2 is looking pretty awesome too :)

I haven't actually seen the Sly 4 teaser yet. I was saving it as a reward for finishing the trilogy but now I'm not sure I will. Haha.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anybody else think 3 got hella' vibrant, color-wise

I mean 1 & 2 looked like they were 4 shades darker, then 3 just fucking blasted the Skittle Rainbow colors and was super bright

Ugh... can't complete 100% episode till chapter # and then backtrack and do said challenges again in certain time = tacked on material ; ;

Oh wells, want Sly 3 to be my 69th Platinum (Yeah Baby!), so keep on truckin'

Edgeward

Started this today and am really impressed with the first game. Still holds up very well, minus old platforming tropes like having lives and sparse checkpoints. I am also the worst Sly player ever. I died plenty of times in the beginning and also even ran out of them on the third level, the 2nd factory stage.

I'm just gonna blame partially some of that on having finished Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and getting used to R&C's platforming (where are your hoverboots, Sly!?). And thinking because it came from the people who made inFamous that it would handle exactly like inFamous. So I was expecting to cling more to platforms that I should reasonably expect in a platformer. And having to press O to hold on or climb things took a while to get used to as well and still feels kind of unnecessary, and led to many early deaths. Get hit once and being dead, I dislike very much but at least it's the same for enemies so far and hopefully stay that way.

But, I adjusted and am now performing reasonably well. I did not notice that the safes would give actual abilities until I cracked one about 4 levels later for the first time. Again, I'm the worst. Thank God, I soon unlocked the binocular's power-up to detect bottles so I was able to go back and collect all of them in the previous levels I played. I'm still not sure what the last icon when viewing levels is for, so I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do on them after collecting all the bottles and cracking the safe.

But, yeah. I love it so far, it's giving me some great platforming and light touch of stealth. Quite the excellent blend and amount.

I just did chapter 6 and 7 of Sly 2 in one sitting each. Great worlds - much better than the last few. Still too many minigames, but I enjoyed them a lot more.

Edgeward

I fucking hated chapter 4 in Sly 2, the prison ward with Contessa. The missions, the enemies, the stupid hidden werewolves as statues. The game took a sharp turn whereas before I really liked the direction of it. But this chapter just shows how combat in Sly is not it's best aspect and having to fight vultures and werewolves is not fun at all. I want my one hit kills on enemies back. Also the instant stealth kills suck as they alert anyone nearby, not much of a reason to stealth kill when you can't do it stealthily.

Not having the binoculars back to show where the bottles are is really making my head spin too, I keep missing out on 1 bottle. Thankfully none of counts towards a plat, only needed once.

I'm on the final chapter of Sly 2 and I'm really starting to like it again now. It starts and ends strong, but those middle chapters, ehh...

The game is stretched out too much for sure.

Edgeward

I really hate traversing as Sly's friends, it's almost like they didn't even design the worlds with their limits in mind. I really hope Sly 3's minigames aren't as monotonous and as so one trick. I swear, if I see that hacking minigame return with no real good improvements yet just as frequent. GRRRRRRR

And a real pet peeve of mine is turret sections with overheating, they aren't that great to begin with yet I'm saddled with being unable to just go nuts and Rambo it up.

Oh well, at least worlds 6 and 7 truly are good worlds, lots of open space and the missions were fun as well. But they still had enemies pop out of inanimate objects blowing my stealth, it's such bullshit.

Two plats down, one more to go. I hope Sly 3 doesn't continue this downward trend, as my wanting of Sly 4 is waning.

SykoTech

Definitely sounds like you two are having the same experience with Sly 2 as I did. There's some brillant heist setup stuff in the beginning and towards the end, but things get really rough sometimes. It took me a while to get through the part when
Bentley's solo
, and that part with the tank was horrible. An enjoyable game overall though.

Spoilers for Sly 3:
Sly's friends still suck, and even more.

It's probably been asked but what would people want from Sly 4. Coming off of slogging my way through 3 my top 2.

1. Sly, Sly and only Sly. Okay maybe a little bit of Murray and Bentley, but at least 90% Sly. And definitely nobody else outside of the main trio.

2. No fucking RC vehicles. No cars, no choppers, no whatever else they can think of.

bridegur

Die Squirrel Die said:
It's probably been asked but what would people want from Sly 4. Coming off of slogging my way through 3 my top 2.

1. Sly, Sly and only Sly. Okay maybe a little bit of Murray and Bentley, but at least 90% Sly. And definitely nobody else outside of the main trio.

2. No fucking RC vehicles. No cars, no choppers, no whatever else they can think of.

I agree. I'd love to see them go back to something very similar to the first game, minus the crappy mini-games.

lljride

Foliorum Viridum said:
I finished 2 last night. Overall I walk away from it remembering the bad more than the good.

I won't be playing 3 for a while.

You know, it's weird. I always heard Sly held in such high regard (seemed like Sly 2 in particular), but I'm slogging my way through it now and I feel the same way you do so far. I can't get through more than one mission at a time without losing all desire to play the game. And I still haven't gotten to the tank portion that's been mentioned a few times on this page.

Outside a couple of boss fights I enjoyed my time with Sly 1, but Sly 2's been the polar opposite. To be fair part of it may be Sly fatigue since I played them back to back, but there's probably more to it than that since I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Yeah I must admit I always heard the Sly trilogy was an amazing set of games, until this came out and the thread was filled with hate for 2 and 3. I guess it was nostalgia fueling those posts before?

I mean, the drop in quality isn't as bad as Jak 2, or anything, but the first game is the only one I would consider great at the moment, by a long shot. I seriously doubt 3 is going to change that opinion.

It's not just fatigue, there is definitely a huge drop in quality in many, many ways. Most of which I've already bitched about in this thread so I shan't again :p

Edgeward

Die Squirrel Die said:

I would like Sly 4 to take more note of the first game, more platforming than stealth with enemies being much more easily to dispose of, 1-2 hits. I also wish the open world design was dumped for levels designed for the missions in mind, eliminates backtracking and the need start at mission point and then running to the actual objective when the mission starts.

Going into Sly 3, wtf did they do to Carmelita? I was fine with her American accent, and whatever the 1st game was. But this Spanish accent is horrible and out of place, doesn't suit her at all. It seems they eliminated the bottles in the open world which is fine by me, considering how much harder they were to find in 2.

Lurknomore

Neo Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah I must admit I always heard the Sly trilogy was an amazing set of games, until this came out and the thread was filled with hate for 2 and 3. I guess it was nostalgia fueling those posts before?

I mean, the drop in quality isn't as bad as Jak 2, or anything, but the first game is the only one I would consider great at the moment, by a long shot. I seriously doubt 3 is going to change that opinion.

It's not just fatigue, there is definitely a huge drop in quality in many, many ways. Most of which I've already bitched about in this thread so I shan't again :p

Well said. Agreed X2.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm on the final chapter of Sly 2 and I'm really starting to like it again now. It starts and ends strong, but those middle chapters, ehh...

The game is stretched out too much for sure.

I felt Sly 2 actually had the slowest start and doesn't get really good until that chapter where sly and murray get captured. That chapter has the awesome Contessa catacomb platforming sections with Bentley. Then afterward The Jean Bison train sequences that are awesome.

The first couple chapters I thought were painfully bland. Though to be fair, I did ruin all the missions on the overworld for myself in the very first chapter trying to look for all the vault secret bottles. But there's also that lame overworld mission where you have to carry that bug from water fountain to water fountain, ugh that was frustrating.

Towards the middle of the game it seemed that Sucker-Punch was moreso getting a hand on how to make missions on the over-world actually fun. Still glad that they scaled it way back in Sly 3 and focused more on actual levels again, though.

gdt

Started Sly1 a month ago, put it down for awhile, picked it up, got hooked, and platinum'd it (my first plat!). Loved it overall. Awful voice acting though.

I'll probably start 2 in a bit.

lljride

Finished Sly 2 on Saturday. I hated it at first, started having fun again in Canada, then hated the last episode and final boss fight, which I thought were both terrible. Sly 1 >>> Sly 2 IMO.

Got a couple of levels into Sly 3, which I'm actually enjoying so far. It's been more platformer focused than I thought it would be based on comments, but I guess that may change. Not looking forward to doing the timed challenges on this one though, hopefully they won't be too bad.

To be honest i never thought Sly would be such an awesome game, i saw it on Play for 29euros and gave it a shot. Got all trophies for Sly 1, now i'm nearing the end of Sly 2. I have to be honest, the first one was much better in terms of gameplay, the open world aspect is cool and all but they deviated too much from the platform aspect of the game (its all about picture taking, helicopters, tanks, etc.) Then again in the second one you have much more abilities and a health bar.

lljride said:
Got a couple of levels into Sly 3, which I'm actually enjoying so far. It's been more platformer focused than I thought it would be based on comments, but I guess that may change. Not looking forward to doing the timed challenges on this one though, hopefully they won't be too bad.

Sly 3 starts off promising enough but by the end of the game platforming is basically gone. Replaced by all your teammate specific missions. Hell an hour of episode 5 is spend doing naval combat ala Sid Meier's Pirates.

Nakiro

I have to agree with majority of the people, found the first game most enjoyable. It was very simple. I find that a lot of games try to do more complex stuff and it might seems impressive at first but the game falls flat when it comes to the fun factor.

Top Bottom