• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

rogue squadron ii was the first game i played on the gamecube when i got home that night. it was so cool looking.

i think i got smb, thps3, luigi's mansion, and rogue squadron at launch. pikmin and ssbm when those came out. i had saved up basically a year's worth of allowances and birthday money that i had put into a paper gamecube i had made from that one ign article.

The ideas present in NSMB Mii should just be rolled into the 3DS game, and NSMB Mii should either be shelved for next fall or converted into something that isn't exactly the same as the other three NSMB games. I guess making it free with the Wii U works, too, but I'm sure Nintendo and third parties want consumers to actually buy software with the system.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
rogue squadron ii was the first game i played on the gamecube when i got home that night. it was so cool looking.

i think i got smb, thps3, luigi's mansion, and rogue squadron at launch. pikmin and ssbm when those came out. i had saved up basically a year's worth of allowances and birthday money that i had put into a paper gamecube i had made from that one ign article.

Youi didn't pick up Luigi's Mansion? :confused

I also got all those games you mentioned, eventually, and enjoyed them all. Gamecube has a really great 1st year, in retrospect.

So, the day after E3 when everything is spilled where do we see the general mood of the thread trending? Riding high, or a more sobering optimism?

Pretty excited to see what all three have to show for E3 because I think MS/Sony feel like they need to really step it up. But this is Nintendo's show to lose.
Don't they close down all the other sub sections when E3 comes to lighten the load on the servers? Or am I reading your post wrong?

I remember playing RS first, then switching to Luigi and playing it for a suprisingly long time while my brother got annoyed and wanted to see RS again.

AniHawk

Youi didn't pick up Luigi's Mansion? :confused

I also got all those games you mentioned, eventually, and enjoyed them all. Gamecube has a really great 1st year, in retrospect.

i did. it's right there in the post.

i don't know about its first year being that great. the penny-arcade comic about there being no good games until summer held up to be true (then REmake and eternal darkness came out). super mario sunshine also hit in that time and... i think animal crossing and star fox adventures completed the year (from november 2001-october 2002)

i think the best year the gamecube had was probably 2004. metroid prime 2, paper mario 2, pikmin 2, four swords adventure, tales of symphonia, donkey konga... good stuff. of course, 2004 was pretty much great for everything.

Anth0ny

I got Gamecube for Christmas 2001 with Melee and THPS3. Best Christmas, no contest. Those games ended up being two of my most played games ever.

I rented Luigi's Mansion and finished it during the three days I had it... so I never ended up buying it.

If Wii U has anything as replayable as SSBM or THPS3 at launch, I'd be more than satisfied.

Linkhero1

I've been gone all day and it seems like today was eventful.

I think this weekend I'm going to avoid the internet until E3 to avoid spoilers. I want to be surprised during the conferences :p

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
i did. it's right there in the post.

i don't know about its first year being that great. the penny-arcade comic about there being no good games until summer held up to be true (then REmake and eternal darkness came out). super mario sunshine also hit in that time and... i think animal crossing and star fox adventures completed the year (from november 2001-october 2002)
(Oops, I missed that.)

They also had games like Sega Soccer Slam in the Spring, which was fun. I also consider Metroid Prime to be in the first year.

HylianTom

Banned
I've been gone all day and it seems like today was eventful.

I think this weekend I'm going to avoid the internet until E3 to avoid spoilers. I want to be surprised during the conferences :p
I'm mostly convinced that Nintendo's big surprises are going to be well-kept at this point. Months ago, I would've sworn that we'd know more by now.. but now I'm convinced that this is what we'll know until The Day.

We'll mainly see box and crate and curtain hijinks, I'd guess.

Linkhero1

I'm mostly convinced that Nintendo's big surprises are going to be well-kept at this point. Months ago, I would've sworn that we'd know more by now.. but now I'm convinced that this is what we'll know until The Day.

I would hope so, but after the DKCR leak I never know what to expect. I would rather be surprised for something like that during the conference then a few hours/days before. :p

HylianTom

Banned
I would hope so, but after the DKCR leak I never know what to expect. I would rather be surprised for something like that during the conference then a few hours/days before. :p
Ahh.. what a leak! In some cases, it pays to be cautious.. and you've provided the Nintendo fan's Exhibit A.

I'll be checking my own personal boxes this weekend so that I have nothing on my to-do list next week. But if GAF spoils something when I check-in, so be it I guess.

GCX

There's always a possibility of USA Today or something leaking the news just hours before the conference like they've done a few times. It doesn't really matter that much anymore at that point though.

canvee

Went to my local Dick Smith Electronics today and the TV's were playing last E3's Wii u trailer on loop. I'm definitely excited for what Nintendo has to offer this E3.

TriGen

I agree. I would have guessed we would have known more of Nintendo's first-party surprises by now, but since they've been able to hold out this long I'm guessing they will keep it air-tight until E3.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heh, remember this nugget:

Back last E3 Nintendo showed trailers of 3rd party dudebro games, and people said they look worse than PS3/360 versions of the games... when later it was revealed that said trailers were actually from PS3/360 versions?

G-Fex

r1d9a.gif

Oh wow I need to start watching Pokemon now

So already this month I have watched every Nintendo E3 keynote since 2004, and now I'm watching some of them for a second or third time. I either am really excited for this years keynote, or really unemployed. Both.

HylianTom

Banned
So already this month I have watched every Nintendo E3 keynote since 2004, and now I'm watching some of them for a second or third time. I either am really excited for this years keynote, or really unemployed. Both.
I'll be doing that this weekend, maybe one night. I've already listened to a ton of podcasts from the past six years over the past few months, so my hypening will be complete when I get through the conferences.

Good to have a bit of perspective on where we've been, where we're going, the highs, the lows..

I'll be doing that this weekend, maybe one night. I've already listened to a ton of podcasts from the past six years over the past few months, so my hypening will be complete when I get through the conferences.

Good to have a bit of perspective on where we've been, where we're going, the highs, the lows..

The low was the entirety of the 2009 conference, but the high I would say was in a portion of the 2004 conference. This was Reggie's debut, and he just introduced DS. He was gaining momentum with the audience and at one point, he gained so much confidence and momentum that his voice became gravelly.

That turning point happened around 1:40 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcvFRWgwRuY&feature=relmfu

Heh, remember this nugget:

Back last E3 Nintendo showed trailers of 3rd party dudebro games, and people said they look worse than PS3/360 versions of the games... when later it was revealed that said trailers were actually from PS3/360 versions?

Yeah, not one of Gaf's shining moments..:)

AzaK

Are you going to miss my contest?
If it's in the next 4 days then yup I will. I will be unjacked from the matrix.

Bye bye Azak, you are lucky in a way. :p
Yeah I think so too, until I come back and try and catch up on 4 days of who knows what in one day before the conference!

I think a lot of people have already determined for themselves whether it's a flop or not.

No truer words spoken.

<gets back to packing>

The low was the entirety of the 2009 conference, but the high I would say was in a portion of the 2004 conference. This was Reggie's debut, and he just introduced DS. He was gaining momentum with the audience and at one point, he gained so much confidence and momentum that his voice became gravelly.

That turning point happened around 1:40 in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcvFRWgwRuY&feature=relmfu

I started watching that, and people were so thrilled to see Wi-Fi and Nintendo going online. Around 5:07, Reggie didn't even have to say "Wi-Fi" and the crowd erupted.

Baby steps, but we've come a long way.

AniHawk

i think i stopped watching the conferences in 2008. i had registration for classes the day of nintendo's 2008 conference, but i was able to catch microsoft's the night before.

actually, i think i might have only seen 2005's or 2006's as they happened. 2004 i was in high school. in 2005 i might have been off from school that day, and the same might be true of 2006's one. 2007 was like 2008 and one of the 'off' years for e3.

from 2009-2011, i've actually been at the show. last year my old work buddy had it streaming on his ipad as we drove up to the convention center so i kinda got to hear it. in the year ffxiv was announced, i think sony's conference was going on as the floor was open- since i remember seeing the trailer for ffxiv as it happened and everyone at the booth kinda held their breath and let out the same disappointed sigh when 'online' popped up on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom