• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Having to meditate for potions is dumb >.< Its stupid because you dont know sometimes that you need it... or you are stuck for a period where you cannae meditate.

Zeliard said:
I spent my first talent point once the other trees opened up on Feetwork, which increases your rolling distance by 100%. Everyone should probably try to grab that one early on, it's pretty much invaluable as far as I'm concerned. I'm rolling all over the place, enemies have no idea wtf I am. Its second level increases distance even further.

I spent my first 2 point for reducing backstab damage, 200% damage from back attack is brutal when you're often surrounded by enemies. the increase rolling distance will be my priority after that.

Edgeward

What the hell Do I do and go for the Nekker contract? I tried the place near Floatsam's entrance and I see nothing but Nekkers but no tunnels to collapse. And are bombs infinite once I make one? Seems I don't run out of those.

_Xenon_

Banned
Edgeward said:
What the hell Do I do and go for the Nekker contract? I tried the place near Floatsam's entrance and I see nothing but Nekkers but no tunnels to collapse. And are bombs infinite once I make one? Seems I don't run out of those.
All 4 tunnels are in the forest.

zlatko

Banned
Fuck me I planned to write my review for this game for this Friday, but there's just no way I can meet that deadline. :( Game has so much meat, and I'm the kind of person who can't just rush through anything so I can gather my thoughts in long detail.

I do know, from what I've played so far, that the bar for western RPG's has been raised and that developers out to compete in this genre of games need to look at this game as the starting point for quality. Anything less will just not impress me anymore.

zlatko said:
Where do I get these beehive bombs to blow them up? I can't find a recipe anywhere.

I'm wondering that as well, though I know for sure that I saw the recipe somewhere in town from some merchant, maybe that lady outside of the walls.

How long did troll trouble take to download for you guys? Is there a button for install once its done? I have this pulsating square that says downloading for 40 minutes now.

zlatko

Banned
scorpscarx said:
I'm wondering that as well, though I know for sure that I saw the recipe somewhere in town from some merchant, maybe that lady outside of the walls.

How long did troll trouble take to download for you guys? Is there a button for install once its done? I have this pulsating square that says downloading for 40 minutes now.

Took 5 minutes for me to download and probably 3 seconds for install.

Edit: What are their names Animator?

Blizzard

Banned
scorpscarx said:

You're probably having server problems or something. Try closing and restarting the launcher, then double clicking on troll trouble. I think I restarted and doubleclicked and then it gave me an install button.

zlatko

Banned
3chopl0x said:
It's grapeshot bombs and you get them from Cedric the elf.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. The games guide is one of the absolute biggest pieces of shit I've ever tried to read. It isn't actually a guide of any sorts. It doesn't even mention it's those bombs or where to get them... just says beehives and that's it.

_Xenon_

Banned
scorpscarx said:
Happened to me once. Just close that window and re-open it again it will show the download progress bar. If not then the server may be busted.

zlatko said:
Thank you for clearing this up for me. The games guide is one of the absolute biggest pieces of shit I've ever tried to read. It isn't actually a guide of any sorts. It doesn't even mention it's those bombs or where to get them... just says beehives and that's it.
The game says you should read up on nekkers for the contract. If you did that (buying a book on nekkers), you'd know to use Grapeshot bombs.

zlatko

Banned
Revolutionary said:
The game says you should read up on nekkers for the contract. If you did that (buying a book on nekkers), you'd know to use Grapeshot bombs.

Ah my bad. I did buy that book, but I think I read a book before that for something else and just thought they were all pointless to contain actual information you need. :p

Zeliard

Callibretto said:
I spent my first 2 point for reducing backstab damage, 200% damage from back attack is brutal when you're often surrounded by enemies. the increase rolling distance will be my priority after that.

That's a solid one to go for, though when you have that extra rolling distance you tend not to get surrounded as easily.

Another great thing about the Feetwork talent - possibly even its most useful feature - is you can use the extra rolling distance to get away from enemies much more quickly than by running or using default roll, which is great if you need to re-charge your Quen, set up some traps, lob some bombs, etc. And I'm talking about just the 100% talent upgrade; the 200% one is undoubtedly even crazier.

Geralt already rolls around pretty quickly, so when you get a 100% or 200% boost in distance the guy can cover a lot of ground quickly.

Bombs are massively useful too. People really need to use those if they aren't, especially since you're so often fighting groups. Throw a grapeshot or two at a group of Nekkers or whatever and they are either severly weakened or just dead. And you should naturally be grabbing enough resources to create quite a few of those.

Echoplx

zlatko said:
Ah my bad. I did buy that book, but I think I read a book before that for something else and just thought they were all pointless to contain actual information you need. :p

Once you open books it should update your journal entry on the contract with the information, pretty handy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's probably good for Bioware that DA2 came out before Witcher 2. It would have been really embarrassing to release it AFTER Witcher 2.

zlatko

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Once you open books it should update your journal entry on the contract with the information, pretty handy.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. The only thing I noticed with books was that with the Dragons one I think I gained + damage if I fight them now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
zlatko said:
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. The only thing I noticed with books was that with the Dragons one I think I gained + damage if I fight them now.
I noticed this too. I don't know if there have been other benefits with other books, but it sure hasn't said shit to me. I assume it's just been helpful info.

Erudite

thetrin said:
It's probably good for Bioware that DA2 came out before Witcher 2. It would have been really embarrassing to release it AFTER Witcher 2.
Maybe if it released after TW2, it would've been a more fleshed out experience, as opposed to the rush job it is. So disappointing, the first one had so much untapped potential. Instead, they choose to take small steps forward in a few instances, and giant leaps back in many others.

I'm glad CD Projekt succeeded in improving upon their original title in almost all aspects.

When using a controller to scroll through pages in the Attributes menu, the selector seems to jump ahead of whatever I'm trying to scroll to. Is this happening for anyone else? Maybe it's a glitch.

Edgeward

When using a controller to scroll through pages in the Attributes menu, the selector seems to jump ahead of whatever I'm trying to scroll to. Is this happening for anyone else? Maybe it's a glitch.

Yes, it skips around and makes it really hard to get where you need to go. Hope this is addressed in next week's patch.

_Xenon_

Banned
Same problem here. This also happens in the mutagen selection menu, which is kind of game breaking.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
old?

Witcher 2 patch next week

CD Projekt RED has announced that the first patch for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be released next week.

It's not a biggy, to be honest; the update will allow players to change their keyboard mapping, invert their mouse and "assorted other fixes".

Downloading: Troll Trouble....

blah blah blah of 7306 KB downloaded. Current speed: 5 KB/s

Yay it's done? Verifying....

Rinse repeat 6 times so far, this is a good example of Einstein's definition of insanity.

THERE WILL BE A DIFFERENT OUTCOME, I MUST STARE AT IT.

Anyone playing with Sign-heavy build? I am mostly putting everything in Sword tree, almost got Combat Acumen now.

EDIT: Just tried launching the game, and the Launcher is BLANK, I cannot press anything. I installed Polish VO pack yesterday, can that be the case? Anyone having similar problems?

Zeliard

thetrin said:
I noticed this too. I don't know if there have been other benefits with other books, but it sure hasn't said shit to me. I assume it's just been helpful info.

No it's more than that I think. I bought a few books from Einar thinking they'd give me benefits and they did even though I didn't get a notification like with the dragons.

I checked my "Knowledge" page afterwards and saw that my "ability level" is 3/3 for the enemies those books were about, including ones I haven't met yet. The journal says gaining knowledge on monsters "increases Geralt's ability to fight them and allows him to destroy their nests." So snagging those books is a pretty good idea. Plus those entries are pretty fun to read as well.

Check your Knowledge page and see what's up.

Hawk269

Out of curiosity, for those that beat the Troll DLC, how long did it take you to do? The description says it's about a 90 minute quest etc. Just wondering what it actually is since devs. seem to add alot more time to game lenght/content etc.

Main reason I ask is that I hear that there is going to be alot of DLC for the game, which most will be free and if these free DLC's add 90 min or so of gameplay, I can imagine what a larger DLC pack will bring.

And if you have not heard...the game is fucking amazing!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, I figured out how to play Dice Poker after a few minutes of frustration! I probably should've just checked the manual. This game is actually pretty fun!

Zeliard

Also this is what the manual says about finishers, for those who haven't read it (like me, till now, wuaha):

If you manage to stun an opponent, for example, by using the Aard Sign, you will be
able to perform an impressive finisher move, which will instantly kill him. To do so,
you only need to strike the stunned enemy. You’ll be able to finish your opponents
off that way if your chance of causing a critical effect, such as stunning, is high.

I did have a few one-hit kills after stunning enemies with a Zerrikanian Sun bomb (50% stun), where Geralt would just go up and do a one-hit kill animation.

Riposte

I am starting to turn around on the combat. It isn't as dumb as I thought. Realizing left click is fast style and right click is heavy style helped. Killing two wraiths at a time was pretty fun. I think it gets kind of messed up whenever the game goes a little weird and you end up aggro'ing 20 little dudes at once lol. Quan or w/e is pretty much required though. Unfortunately it hogs up my ability to use other spells(especially since I also want to be able to block).

How deep is the "combo" system? (Should I ever mix up fast and power? I am seeing a bunch of different animations and movements and it is really confusing lol.)

Also how do I "riposte"?

I forget how it went in Witcher 1, but can I get rid of the formula/etc stuff once I obtained them? Another thing: making potions is annoying. It is like TW1 where they constantly want me to use up my rarer ingredients.

EDIT: Also I am actually using the axe. Think I should sell my d'w/e sword? I am it is sort of a memento from TW1, but then again, no storage.

EDIT: I don't know how it will turn out, but The Witcher 2's brutal difficulty against crowds is exactly what Assassin's Creed needs. That will show you why Ezio doesn't just bulldozer his way to his target in context of the story.

FGMPR

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Out of curiosity, for those that beat the Troll DLC, how long did it take you to do? The description says it's about a 90 minute quest etc. Just wondering what it actually is since devs. seem to add alot more time to game lenght/content etc.

Main reason I ask is that I hear that there is going to be alot of DLC for the game, which most will be free and if these free DLC's add 90 min or so of gameplay, I can imagine what a larger DLC pack will bring.

It's kind of hard to tell because it felt open, like one of the generic contracts. It wasn't like I could just follow the arrows on the minimap for 90mins, and I'd suspect most people wouldn't have just gone out and done that quest going from A to B etc. Saying that, knowing how to finish it it certainly won't last 90mins. No where near it.

_Xenon_

Banned
Hawk269 said:

It's pretty short itself. 30mins tops.

But if you want to finish all the small things* of it it may take longer than 90 mins.

*: this includes:
1. You have to beat the poker face quest to win the she-troll head which rewards you an armor recipe.
2. You will get a key along the quest which lets you open an hut in the most SE corner of the map. There's an awesome sword in the hut.
3. One of the items you get from this quest is the key item for another quest.

Zeliard

You can throwing daggers and bombs in two ways. The auto-aiming mode is used
against the currently selected target. When you quickly press the R key, the dagger
or bomb will hit that target. The manual aiming mode, allows you to use the mouse
to aim. In order to do so, you should press and hold the R key until a crosshair appears.
This will allow you to aim the mouse and throw your projectile by releasing
the R key.

Well fuck me.

burgerdog

So I downloaded Troll Trouble and read that you have to install it. I checked my documents > witcher 2 > download content and it's empty. Where did I mess up?

zonezeus

Riposte said:
How deep is the "combo" system? (Should I ever mix up fast and power? I am seeing a bunch of different animations and movements and it is really confusing lol.)

Also how do I "riposte"?

I forget how it went in Witcher 1, but can I get rid of the formula/etc stuff once I obtained them? Another thing: making potions is annoying. It is like TW1 where they constantly want me to use up my rarer ingredients.

Mix it. Fast strikes are fast but weak, strong are strong but slow. But when you mix them, your strong strikes become faster and don't lose their strength, so you actually dish way more damage per second.

To riposte you first have to buy the "Riposte" skill from swordmaster tree. Then it's all about timing, block and strike when the enemy is open.

AFAIK you can't sell recepies, but you can sell books you've already read.

FGMPR

Banned
burgerdog said:
So I downloaded Troll Trouble and read that you have to install it. I checked my documents > witcher 2 > download content and it's empty. Where did I mess up?

go back into your launcher, back into DLC and the option to install should be there.

Hawk269

Zeliard said:
Also this is what the manual says about finishers, for those who haven't read it (like me, till now, wuaha):

If you manage to stun an opponent, for example, by using the Aard Sign, you will be
able to perform an impressive finisher move, which will instantly kill him. To do so,
you only need to strike the stunned enemy. You’ll be able to finish your opponents
off that way if your chance of causing a critical effect, such as stunning, is high.

I did have a few one-hit kills after stunning enemies with a Zerrikanian Sun bomb (50% stun), where Geralt would just go up and do a one-hit kill animation.

lol. I have been doing so much testing to get the right game graphics settings, that i replayed some of the fights so many times and once it did this and I was going WTF was that, it looked really fucking cool and the camera angle it changed too was really good. Of course, I had no idea how I did it until I read what you posted.

I guess I should read the manual...damn have not read a manual in a long, long time.

Hawk269

_Xenon_ said:
It's pretty short itself. 30mins tops.

But if you want to finish all the small things* of it it may take longer than 90 mins.

*: this includes:
1. You have to beat the poker face quest to win the she-troll head which rewards you an armor recipe.
2. You will get a key along the quest which lets you open an hut in the most SE corner of the map. There's an awesome sword in the hut.
3. One of the items you get from this quest is the key item for another quest.

Interesting...so if you breeze through it you can do it in 30 mins, but if you do all the stuff that sounds like is optional it can be 90 or so. That is kind of cool. Ok CDPR, bring on more free DLC then!

Riposte

Lord Fruity said:
Mix it. Fast strikes are fast but weak, strong are strong but slow. But when you mix them, your strong strikes become faster and don't lose their strength, so you actually dish way more damage per second.

To riposte you first have to buy the "Riposte" skill from swordmaster tree. Then it's all about timing, block and strike when the enemy is open.

AFAIK you can't sell recepies, but you can sell books you've already read.

I've bought the Riposte skill, but I have no idea how to actually use it. Riposte doesn't know how to Riposte. Sorry for the repost.

One of the songs in this game makes me think of Final Fantasy Tactics. Can't get it out of my head. Should be obvious which.

In any case, now knowing I should be paying attention to combos(I've been trying to anyway) makes this game maybe the most interesting "grounded" combat system since at least Demon's Souls. Way better than Batman or Assassin's Creed. It is certainly more freer than Demon's Souls, and more punishing lol.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
markot said:
Having to meditate for potions is dumb >.< Its stupid because you dont know sometimes that you need it... or you are stuck for a period where you cannae meditate.

Actually I think it's a good decision, which prevents the game from becoming a cake walk.

In witcher 1 , the only potions needed extensively were swallow and tawny owl. Swallow just turned the whole thing into "almost godmode" while tawny owl is mandatory for magic use. Vigor regeneration during combat is very fast in witcher 2, which means you can do without tawny owl, in general. I haven't even used it once so far.

To get through combat, more than potions, what is needed is full use of appropriate magic, bombs and traps (not that much) and battlefield awareness (appropriate blocks and rolls). Potions, I think, are only meant for that extra edge, when you get killed somewhere, so that in your next play, you are more than well prepared to kick ass. Oils, on the other hand, have been greatly improved. There are no canned animations, which leave you exposed in the middle of battle, which means you can apply the required enhancement on the fly.

The best thing is that, you dont have to carry all those crappy bases and grease required for preparing stuff. I love that. The combat is really tactical, and you are forced to make major changes in your strategy depending, on the enemy. I really got my ass handed to me by a guy with a simple poleaxe.

But I do have some complaints. The UI, though it's better looking, isn't as fast or even streamlined. to switch between menus is such a chore, with having to close one and open the other. The alchemical contents of each component aren't displayed on mouse over. It took me a day in fact to figure out how to read books! Crafting recipes don't open up in a separate menu, so you have to wait as the thing slowly scrolls over the whole text. I haven't used a mutagen so far, but if it's permanent then, well... that is such a stupid, pointless design decision. Armor enhancements are also permanent which sucks donkey balls and doesn't make any sense, especially since crafted armor doesn't have enhancement slots (does it?). CDPR has not done any work on the save system which is crappy to say the least. This is a tough game, and you tend to quicksave a lot. There should have been only one quicksave slot, for you to abuse. But instead we get a folder which grows and grows and ends up being 3/4 gigs. I don't even think you can delete the saves from the main menu which is WTF. They seriously have to patch this save thing.

Though, the story is one of the best I have ever seen in video games, I am worried about the negative reception for Act 3 and epilogue, which supposedly are a major letdown. Anybody finished this, can comment?

Wes

venison crêpe
Riposte said:
I've bought the Riposte skill, but I have no idea how to actually use it. Riposte doesn't know how to Riposte. Sorry for the repost.

Hold block. Just as your opponent launches an attack the target highlight will flash to that of a sword. If you attack at that moment you'll perform a counter-attack move beyond simply blocking their swing and then attacking.

natkingcoleslaw said:
Though, the story is one of the best I have ever seen in video games, I am worried about the negative reception for Act 3 and epilogue, which supposedly are a major letdown. Anybody finished this, can comment?

Story-wise Act 3 and the epilogue were fine for me. It's just in terms of gameplay there's nothing to do compared to previous chapters. I think, if you really wanted to, you could finish the final act quite easily in
less than 90 minutes
, without skipping cutscenes.

Blizzard

Banned
scorpscarx said:

Yay it's done? Verifying....

Rinse repeat 6 times so far, this is a good example of Einstein's definition of insanity.

THERE WILL BE A DIFFERENT OUTCOME, I MUST STARE AT IT.
This happened to me for the English voiceovers and subtitles (which were apparently already included in my GoG download). Which version of the game do you have, where did you buy it from, what country do you live in? Can you close the launcher, run the patcher, rerun the launcher, double click on troll trouble, and post a screenshot of what it shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom