• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

BanShunsaku said:
Wow, I thought I would be OK reading that spoiler as I have finished the game.

As someone yet to read to novels, I really shouldn't have.
Uh there's a cutscene in TW2 that shows exactly what he said.

Xtyle

Yurt said:
Trial and Error with the poem. That's what I did to be honest.

There is got to be a bug with that because I honestly tried it many times with different nominations over and over again and it never worked

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy fuck the start of the game.
The character of
King Foltest dies at the start?
Thats having some big balls there,
he was a major character from the novels and the first game, and boom, just with a second they kill him. Totally surprise. I wonder what does Sapkowski thinks of this? maybe really nothing, watching what he did with Gerealt in the last novel, fuckin pitchforked by a guy named rob. Lamest death for an epic fantasy character ever :lol

I wonder how much influence Sapkowski has on the games. I haven't read the books, but some major stuff happens in the games that would really interrupt Sapkowski's canon if he ever intended to continue writing about The Witcher.

Helmholtz

Any tips on dealing with large groups of enemies?
I'm on the chapter one quest where
I have to go into a cave to help clear some elf lady's name, and as soon as I go in there are 10-15 drowner-type monsters that just swarm me and I die after a few hits. The only way I can hope to survive is to spam Quen.
Am I doing it wrong? Any way to hit multiple targets like you could in the first Witcher?

Salaadin

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy fuck the start of the game.
The character of
King Foltest dies at the start?
Thats having some big balls there,
he was a major character from the novels and the first game, and boom, just with a second they kill him. Totally surprise. I wonder what does Sapkowski thinks of this? maybe really nothing, watching what he did with Gerealt in the last novel, fuckin pitchforked by a guy named rob. Lamest death for an epic fantasy character ever :lol

Just talked about this last night with a friend.
What a terrible way to go.

Zefah said:
I wonder how much influence Sapkowski has on the games. I haven't read the books, but some major stuff happens in the games that would really interrupt Sapkowski's canon if he ever intended to continue writing about The Witcher.

I wonder that too. WIll he do his own thing or take the books into account if he writes more.

matmanx1

Snuggler said:
yeah, I feel like a dick for only playing $45, they should have charged me twice that

Technically they DID charge me twice. Once for the GOG digital version and again for the Retail CE. And I still feel like I got a great deal!

Exuro

Helmholtz said:
Any tips on dealing with large groups of enemies?
I'm on the chapter one quest where
I have to go into a cave to help clear some elf lady's name, and as soon as I go in there are 10-15 drowner-type monsters that just swarm me and I die after a few hits. The only way I can hope to survive is to spam Quen.
Am I doing it wrong? Any way to hit multiple targets like you could in the first Witcher?
Multiple targets require a talent in the combat tree. If you stick to the beginning of the cave right after going to the bottom level the nekkers shouldn't follow you. Get some bombs like grapeshots and blow them up.

Varna

BanShunsaku said:
Wow, I thought I would be OK reading that spoiler as I have finished the game.

As someone yet to read to novels, I really shouldn't have.

They talk about that in the very first game and retell the event again in part 2...

Coldsnap

DualShadow said:
Playing on Hard with all the best armor/weapons made the last few fights really easy.

I was mostly Swordsman build with a few points into magic.

What do you mean, is there a new game plus?

Zefah said:
I think ive read somewhere he helped a little with the first game, dont know about the 2 one.

Its really a pity about what happens
Foltest was the best king in the books, and the part where he was in the withcer 1 was awesome. The first part of the wither 2 he is even better, when he goes to the man and remembers him, or when he talks information about the giant arrow thing and how he knew that becuase they were the ones he gifted her :lol That parts made me smile, so Im sad his gone.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I could've sworn the presentation said there would be 50+ changes in this patch? Oh well, no big deal. I'm really happy to hear there will be increased response times for combat :) doing my 2nd playthrough is gonna be fun, though I dunno if I should wait since I've managed to run into that bomb lock bug a lot.

sflufan

Banned
Nezabyte said:
I could've sworn the presentation said there would be 50+ changes in this patch? Oh well, no big deal. I'm really happy to hear there will be increased response times for combat :) doing my 2nd playthrough is gonna be fun, though I dunno if I should wait since I've managed to run into that bomb lock bug a lot.

Some of the bullet points in the change log appear to involve multiple fixes so that's how you get to 50+ changes!

Zeliard

Tokubetsu said:
Haha yep. Roche is that firend that you always wonder why you're still friends because he seems to just drag you into shit and make matters worse rather than help them. But he's your bro so you stick it out.

Some Stockholm syndrome shit right here

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BanShunsaku said:
Never mind, brainfart herpa derp on my part!

They talk about that a lot in TW1, you should play it if you haven't already.

And I actually LOVE that anti-climactic scene to be honest.
Strongest witcher killed by a no body. By the people he was supposedly created to defend.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Interview about the 360 version is up. I especially liked this part:
IGN: Will The Witcher 2 on consoles include all the same content as the PC version or will additional downloadable content be packed in? Will the console version come on multiple discs?

John Mamais: Any DLC we've created for the PC game will be included in the console version. And the other way around, the new gameplay and cutscenes we're developing for the 360 release will be available for PC gamers for free as DLC. We have some very interesting plans in this regard, but it's still early to talk about them. We intend to provide more details at Gamescom in August.

gdt

Snuggler said:
yeah, I feel like a dick for only playing $45, they should have charged me twice that

I payed $25 for it, Amazon @ $45, plus my Amazon LA NOIRE $20 credit. Delish.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Witcher 2 on consoles is a great idea, it's guaranteed to succeeded. Which means The Witcher 3 with a bigger budget is inevitable.

Teknoman

For some reason, when trying to register my game, it says the key is invalid, yet it worked just fine when installing the game (DVD version).

Zeliard

Yurt said:
The Witcher 2 on consoles is a great idea, it's guaranteed to succeeded. Which means The Witcher 3 with a bigger budget is inevitable.

Dunno what they're thinking releasing it the same week as Skyrim.

Hawk269

OdysseusVA said:
I'm smiling ear to ear

Same here man. I am playing it on the PC and I have a monster rig, but to hear a developer talk the way they are about making the port the best it can be is refreashing. This company is such a "gamers" company and they do what they can for the fans and it looks like they are applying that same love to the 360 version of the game.

The fact that they are making additional content, cutscenes etc. is pretty cool and then in-turn release it as free DLC for the PC players is just another nod to them being so supportive of the community.

I will 100% double dip when this comes to 360. I know it sounds weird to do that, but you know developers like these need to be supported and I for one plan to do that by buying what they make as long as they continue to be committed to the fans as they have been for a long time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That's a one big FU to Bioware.

It's important to stress that we are not changing the underlying game vision. I think The Witcher 2 on Xbox will be one of the deepest, most non-linear and most mature games ever released on any console. And since this is, in my opinion, our core strength, changing it in order to suit a wider audience would be an unforgivable mistake. We believe that there are lots of mature console gamers looking for the type of deep, complex experience The Witcher 2 offers. .

gdt

I'm assuming they'll change the UI a bit for the 360 version, it'd be awesome if they patch in that new UI when you connect a gamepad automatically. That'd be way cool. Stuff like shopping and equipping could be improved.

Hawk269

gdt5016 said:
I'm assuming they'll change the UI a bit for the 360 version, it'd be awesome if they patch in that new UI when you connect a gamepad automatically. That'd be way cool. Stuff like shopping and equipping could be improved.

In the IGN link provided interview, they stated that they are re-working the GUI for the 360 version to make it more streamlined. So that is great. I hope they offer this as an option for the PC version. I play the PC version with the 360 pad, so if they can make a better GUI, I would hope they make it available for the PC version if we want it.

Darkkn

jim-jam bongs said:
Serious question: can CDProjekt do no wrong? They are rapidly becoming my favourite developer.
It seems that relatively small companies are more in touch with it's customers. Once you start selling games by millions most go from 'let's treat our audience with respect' to 'lolll we don't care as long as we get you to buy our shit'. Valve seems to be one of the few big ones that hasn't lost it's way. Blizzard used to be this way also, but they are seriously slipping imo.

jim-jam bongs said:
They are rapidly becoming my favourite developer.

I had this exact thought just before.

Hopefully they can keep their fans/audience in mind as they grow and start selling more and more copies.

zonezeus

jim-jam bongs said:
Serious question: can CDProjekt do no wrong? They are rapidly becoming my favourite developer.

They kinda botched the Polish launch and they could use some better quality check (CRC errors, chipped Geralt's heads in CE editions etc.), but apart from that they are doing an awesome job for such small, previously unknown studio. I'm seriously thinking about buying X360 version just to support them even more.

Inkwell

Banned
I've found the combat difficult but manageable so far. Well, that was until the Melena quest in chapter 1. I'm specifically talking about the cave section with the monsters. The only way I got through that section was by abusing a bug or oversight in programming/level design. They wouldn't enter the area just when you get to the bottom of the cave. So I would run past that area and attract the monsters, then usually use igni and run back. Sometimes I would throw in sword attacks. There's no way I could have done that section otherwise. I would look through the thread for some tips, but it's quite long. Any pointers?

1stStrike

Banned
Inkwell said:
I've found the combat difficult but manageable so far. Well, that was until the Melena quest in chapter 1. I'm specifically talking about the cave section with the monsters. The only way I got through that section was by abusing a bug or oversight in programming/level design. They wouldn't enter the area just when you get to the bottom of the cave. So I would run past that area and attract the monsters, then usually use igni and run back. Sometimes I would throw in sword attacks. There's no way I could have done that section otherwise. I would look through the thread for some tips, but it's quite long. Any pointers?

Umm. Alchemy? Load up on potions and throw grapeshot bombs at them. They're weak against them. The Witcher games are about playing smart and knowing what works against the monsters you're fighting. Purchase the books from the book vendors before facing off against monsters and go prepared. This isn't God of War.

Otheradam

Inkwell said:

Probably need to level up a bit and go back. That's what I did, and also: spam grapeshot bombs like there is no tomorrow to thin them down.

Fredescu

Inkwell said:
I think there may be a spawn bug in there, because those damn things never stopped spawning for me. If it's just meant to be that way, you're not missing out on anything major by just running past them.

Inkwell

Banned
Fredescu said:
I think there may be a spawn bug in there, because those damn things never stopped spawning for me. If it's just meant to be that way, you're not missing out on anything major by just running past them.
I ended up getting through that part eventually. Yeah, they definitely didn't stop spawning for me either. Something I don't like about this game compared to the first, is that the monster entries in the first game had a nice breakdown of things like weaknesses and immunities. It makes it much easier to do a quick check when needed.

Fredescu

Inkwell said:
Yeah, they definitely didn't stop spawning for me either. Something I don't like about this game compared to the first, is that the monster entries in the first game had a nice breakdown of things like weaknesses and immunities. It makes it much easier to do a quick check when needed.
They do, but they're in the character section of the meditate screen rather than the journal. It's pretty annoying, because you have to be in a position to meditate to access the info, and when you really need it, you're usually not. I think the journal is meant to be Dandelion's take on things, while the character screen is Geralts knowledge. It's a bit confusing though.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Inkwell said:

I used conflagration trap + quen + grapeshots.

They spawn indefinitely in there since it's their lair (all the tunnels from the forest lead there supposedly). Quen is your friend in there the first few times since you can get mauled in seconds. Their susceptible to bleeding, brown oil your blades up.

As mentioned, use grapeshot bombs. Bombs are your only aoe type damage in the beginning so get used to using them until your abilities level up then you can go commando on pretty much everything. You can clear that first area pretty easily with a few bombs, after that the spawn rate is reduced somewhat.

Izayoi

Banned
Maybe I just got super fucking terrible at games or something but why the fuck is this game so hard. I feel like I should be playing on easy (on normal currently). I've been putting it off for a while after I died ten times in five minutes on the intro dragon part and now I'm remembering why. Is it a requirement to play the first one or something? Maybe I'm just doing it the wrong way. Terribly frustrating tutorial for those who are new to the series.

It's awfully pretty, though.

Zefah said:
Influence on plot? None. He just lets them do what they want to do. His only influence was approving what the world map looked like, and answering some questions about the looks of some monsters and characters because he doesn't describe everything in fine detail in the books.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Izayoi said:
Maybe I just got super fucking terrible at games or something but why the fuck is this game so hard. I feel like I should be playing on easy (on normal currently). I've been putting it off for a while after I died ten times in five minutes on the intro dragon part and now I'm remembering why. Is it a requirement to play the first one or something? Maybe I'm just doing it the wrong way. Terribly frustrating tutorial for those who are new to the series.

It's awfully pretty, though.

It's a hard game starting out. Unapologetic.

You're not any more lost than people who played the first one. It's just that difficult. It's a hard game.

Tips:

1) Use Quen like your life depends on it. Because it does.

2) Use oils, traps and bombs. They exist for a reason.

3) Listen to what people say about the dragon swooping by. Use quen to extinguish flames immediately.

4) Don't waste vigor on parrying. Roll around to dodge enemies, and use that vigor on Quen.

Izayoi said:
Maybe I just got super fucking terrible at games or something but why the fuck is this game so hard.

The intro is pretty tough but once you've played the game for a bit it's a breeze to get through (didn't die once my second time through on hard, died 10+ first time on normal).

There was a missed oppurtunity to have G spar with the dudes by his tent, maybe tell you what the signs do etc.

It isn't hard as such, you just don't know how to play yet (stupid as it sounds). Try to tough it out on normal, easy is insultingly simple.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
toasty_T said:
The intro is pretty tough but once you've played the game for a bit it's a breeze to get through (didn't die once my second time through on hard, died 10+ first time on normal).

There was a missed oppurtunity to have G spar with the dudes by his tent, maybe tell you what the signs do etc.

It isn't hard as such, you just don't know how to play yet (stupid as it sounds). Try to tough it out on normal, easy is insultingly simple.
Yeah, for some reason, I found the prologue REALLY easy on my second playthrough. I guess I just really knew how everything worked this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom