• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izayoi

Banned
thetrin said:
It's a hard game starting out. Unapologetic.

You're not any more lost than people who played the first one. It's just that difficult. It's a hard game.

Tips:

1) Use Quen like your life depends on it. Because it does.

2) Use oils, traps and bombs. They exist for a reason.

3) Listen to what people say about the dragon swooping by. Use quen to extinguish flames immediately.

4) Don't waste vigor on parrying. Roll around to dodge enemies, and use that vigor on Quen.
toasty_T said:
The intro is pretty tough but once you've played the game for a bit it's a breeze to get through (didn't die once my second time through on hard, died 10+ first time on normal).

There was a missed oppurtunity to have G spar with the dudes by his tent, maybe tell you what the signs do etc.

It isn't hard as such, you just don't know how to play yet (stupid as it sounds). Try to tough it out on normal, easy is insultingly simple.
Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll try it again a little later.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jim-jam bongs said:
Yay, The Last Wish and Blood of Elves just arrived from Amazon. My break from stuff involving The Witcher will have to start next week instead.
I just started reading The Last Wish last week, and I read it when I have time. I'm really really enjoying it. Whoever did the translation did a great job.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I didn't read the books because a) I don't wanna ruin the mystery surrounding
Yennifer, the wild hunt and Geralt
b) I have a short attention span and can't stand reading words with no pictures. Is there a Graphic novel of some sort ?

1stStrike

Banned
toasty_T said:
Woah, I'm reading The Last Wish right now haha. Gaffing on my kindle.

I think I might start up tomorrow on the novels. I bought em on Kobo and have them downloaded onto my playbook, just need to get off GAF long enough to read em :p

thetrin said:
I just started reading The Last Wish last week, and I read it when I have time. I'm really really enjoying it. Whoever did the translation did a great job.
That's really good to hear, I was worried that the prose might feel a bit stilted because of the translation. As an aside, I think that they did a great job with both games in that respect. I never felt like I was playing a localized game with either of them.

itxaka

Defeatist
Im trying to get the symbol
of death in the catacumbs. I found the entrance, kill all the monsters, Aard the walls, open all the cadavers and I can't find it at all.
Am I missing something or did the mission bugged? The map marker keeps on the entrance to the catacumbs btw.

Kyaw

It is in the catacombs.

You need to go down the last path and all the way down, Aard the wall and you will find the wraith.

You haven't busted down all the walls
there is a breakable wall in the furthest tomb from the exit (not the one that requires you to cross the bridge) . Behind is a Nilgaardian spectre which you'll have to deal with to claim it

Kyaw

toasty_T said:
You haven't busted down all the walls
there is a breakable wall in the furthest tomb from the exit (not the one that requires you to cross the bridge) . Behind is a Nilgaardian spectre which you'll have to deal with to claim it

Well, you can deceive it and get a nice sword.

Minsc

Gold Member
toasty_T said:
Woah, I'm reading The Last Wish right now haha. Gaffing on my kindle.

Make sure to get Limits of the Possible (it's free) after The Last Wish before going to The Blood of Elves. I just converted the .html to an .epub to make it more convenient to read for myself (sits nicer in my virtual library too).

as far as leveling up goes. GO straight for the vigor upgrades in the witcher part. once you open up everything else. go for alchemist and bump up your traps and bombs to double damage.

You can lay as many snares in a single location as you want. They will all damage simultaneously. Nothing like one shotting a bullvore.

FGMPR

Banned
I don't believe I have ever seen such goodwill about the release of a game before. It really is a story of a talented developer who is being justly rewarded for doing right by its customers.

Kyaw said:
Well, you can deceive it and get a nice sword.
The design for this quest is amazing, my first time i managed to deceive it just making 1 mistake. That's because i previously
talked to a lot of guys in the camp so i got fleshed out understanding of the events that transpired.
So the devs reward the player for being meticulous. The other way is faster
but not as rewarding

I managed to guess my way through the entire questioning, the whole time I was thinking 'oh shit' but then he said"I believe you" and was like whaaaaaat?

I like how you can do pretty much every quest in several different ways and you're always rewarded with new dialog or some such that acknowledges to what you did.

On my third playthrough and stil seeing new shit.

^^^

Apparently there was what looked like a prayer mat in one of the brothels.

Kyaw

Refreshment.01 said:
The design for this quest is amazing, my first time i managed to deceive it just making 1 mistake. That's because i previously
talked to a lot of guys in the camp so i got fleshed out understanding of the events that transpired.
but not as rewarding

Yeah man, i knew half the things and i just bluffed my way through the last bit of the dialogue.
The sword is pretty sweet.

Refreshment.01 said:
but not as rewarding

Yea, I did the same thing. Really cool how you were never really directed to do so but if you paid attention to the dialogue with the various soldier's around the camp it paid off. Love details like that.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Chinese Electric Batman said:
The fuck?
Like these or someone please reference the right ones here....

witcher22011-05-2722-4qn0v.png

?

I like everything I've seen and hate the some are offended. I respect everyone and their wishes but unless they are insulting any religion or anything, it's quite beautiful. Like I said, someone point me in the right direction to these Islamic things in the game.

nib95

Banned
Coldsnap said:
I've been going through the PC game like an hour at a time. It actually works really well as segmented parts; makes the game seem way epic. Like I spent 2 weeks in the first town, was awesome.

Ok going to start it when I get back from Bath. My back-log right now is disgusting lol.

epmode

Islamic–themed and similar textures have been deleted and/or replaced.

Why is this always the one ridiculous thing that gets otherwise sane companies to censor their textures/audio? It's especially crazy for CDPR, what with all of the intact nudity.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I like everything I've seen and hate the some are offended. I respect everyone and their wishes but unless they are insulting any religion or anything, it's quite beautiful. Like I said, someone point me in the right direction to these Islamic things in the game.
I'm almost done and have seen no islamic textures :)lol) yet, I don't know wtf CDP is talking about, it most be hidden very well because I look everywhere in this game.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Another interview up (english part at about 48 secs).

Some stuff mentioned:

New Features (potentially) For People New To Witcher Universe
- quests
- CG movies
- in-game cutscenes

New X-Box 360 Stuff
- redone UI, camera, etc.
- "special" xbox features

- Devs will used all the feedback they've gotten to create an improved game
- Collector's Edition will be available to 360 users, may or may not be the same as PC CE
- New features will be available to PC users before or same time as 360 release
- Didn't wanna talk much about PS3 version. Has been tested on PS3 already. May or may not come out
- PC version is still important! want to reduce any lag time between them when it comes to new content/improvements, any content that's more PC-specific will be released to PC users first

Salaadin

Nezabyte said:
Another interview up (english part at about 48 secs).

Some stuff mentioned:

New Features (potentially) For People New To Witcher Universe
- quests
- CG movies
- in-game cutscenes

New X-Box 360 Stuff
- redone UI, camera, etc.
- "special" xbox features

- Collector's Edition will be available to 360 users, may or may not be the same as PC CE
- New features will be available to PC users before or same time as 360 release
- Didn't wanna talk much about PS3 version. Has been tested on PS3 already. May or may not come out
- PC version is still important! want to reduce any lag time between them, may have PC-specific content still

Cool. I was kinda surprised in that IGN interview when they said "Any DLC we've created for the PC game will be included in the console version. And the other way around, the new gameplay and cutscenes we're developing for the 360 release will be available for PC gamers for free as DLC"

New gameplay and cutscenes. I wonder if they "new gameplay bit" refers to DLC or if there is going to be new missions and quests added as part of the game for the 360 version...and then released as DLC for PC players.

Either way, sounds like both versions will be equal in content. Im happy they arent pulling any console exclusive BS.

L0st Id3ntity said:
Aha, I missed your post somehow.
To be more specific I think it refers to those rectangular Persian rugs that you can find in people's houses.

It's so low on the offense scale that someone who would notice it and take offense wouldn't be the type to be playing a game like this anyway.

Akkad

Banned
Salaadin said:
Cool. I was kinda surprised in that IGN interview when they said "Any DLC we've created for the PC game will be included in the console version. And the other way around, the new gameplay and cutscenes we're developing for the 360 release will be available for PC gamers for free as DLC"

New gameplay and cutscenes. I wonder if they "new gameplay bit" refers to DLC or if there is going to be new missions and quests added as part of the game for the 360 version...and then released as DLC for PC players.

Either way, sounds like both versions will be equal in content. Im happy they arent pulling any console exclusive BS.

MS hates free DLC.

mik83kuu

Banned
I'm currently in Ch. 2 and let me tell you this: If this game were to end in five minutes from where I'm right now, I'd still call this the best game of this and last year. In fact, I can't quite remember when I played a game this good.

Will buy for 360 day 1 just to give them my monies (and replay this masterpiece of a game).

toasty_T said:
Apparently there was what looked like a prayer mat in one of the brothels.

Which makes sense if they didn't intend it to be a prayer mat; no big loss and I can see how that would unnecessarily offend someone. If you intend to make some sort of religious commentary, that is one thing, if it is accidental, makes sense to remove it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Minsc said:
Make sure to get Limits of the Possible (it's free) after The Last Wish before going to The Blood of Elves. I just converted the .html to an .epub to make it more convenient to read for myself (sits nicer in my virtual library too).

Limits of the Possible is one of the better stories in The Last Wish.

But Sword of Destiny collection is much, much better than The Last Wish.

I sort of can't wait to try out the new DLC. I hope there are a fair share of options. If not I at least want the staple long hair down cut for my Geralt. Fuck I love this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom