• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Foffy said:
Doesn't the ending of Witcher 2 pretty much hint at a third game? :p

Pretty much...

Man, i'm really looking forward to the first teaser/screen shot of The Witcher 3.

Sad that Tomasz Gop won't be the cool promoting guy any more though... :(

Red

Just finished it last night. 45 hours. Iorveth path.

GODDAMN I loved it.

Last boss sucked though. I didn't have problems with the Kayran or Draug, but that last fight
(pre-epilogue)
was simply awful. I was getting hit by attacks clearing me by five or six feet. After a couple tries, just said fuck it and brought the difficulty down to easy.

My last two upgrades were both for increasing dodge distance. Should've invested in that sooner.

It was a great experience, and the best game I've played so far this year. But there are a few key areas that irritated me a bit. For one, Geralt doesn't really do much witching in this game. I appreciated the stronger focus on story, but it was difficult to raise funds to purchase armor and schematics. Swords were easy to come by in the wild, so they weren't really worth investing in. But there were quite a few pieces of armor I wanted to buy, but could find no way to raise money for. How do you afford things that cost upward of 3,000 gold? Is it even possible to raise that much throughout the game? I can imagine it is if you ignore all other purchases completely, but I only ever bought a few bombs and completed all sidequests and the most I ever topped out at was 1,500.

Another thing that bothered me, kind of minor, but still (possible spoilers):
what the fuck is the purpose of a respec at the very end of a game??? Baffling location for it. I had upgraded the way I wanted, so when I was forced to respec I simply put points into everything I had before. What's the use of redistributing points for a single fight?

A more serious bother (story-related):
was kind of pissed at how easy the resolution to Where is Triss Merigold? was. I did this playthrough going for the greater good, so I usually ignored the Triss option when presented with where to go next, and I expected some consequences to come of that. But nope, Letho protects her and she rejoins Geralt as if nothing at all has happened. I get that the story was mostly focused on politics, but I expected more from the relationship between them.

And a question: I thought max level was 35? I noticed my experience bar kept raising after I'd maxed out. Is it possible to get to 36? By the end of the game I was at around 35 and 3/4.

I'm going to play through one more time, on Roche's path and specializing in alchemy. Seems like an interesting course.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Crunched said:
How do you afford things that cost upward of 3,000 gold? Is it even possible to raise that much throughout the game? I can imagine it is if you ignore all other purchases completely, but I only ever bought a few bombs and completed all sidequests and the most I ever topped out at was 1,500.

you should sell your shit. Finished both times with the best armor and the sword you can buy (and cannot).

Red

subversus said:
you should sell your shit. Finished both times with the best armor and the sword you can buy (and cannot).
Both swords I finished with were in the neighborhood of 60 attack. Better than anything I could find for purchase. One was called Caerne I think, the other Aard-something.

And I picked up and sold everything I could find. Farmed areas for loot to sell, still never had any cash.

I wish there were more ways to make money. I haven't played as much of the first game, but it seemed to have more "witching" quests. TW2 only has one per chapter.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Crunched said:
I wish there were more ways to make money. I haven't played as much of the first game, but it seemed to have more "witching" quests. TW2 only has one per chapter.

TW1 had a shit ton of witchering, there were always plenty of monsters to stab and herbs to collect. They were filler missions for the most part, but personally I'm always down with having more to do.

Anyways, CDPR needs to hurry up and add more DLC.

Red

subversus said:
The first chapter has two, with the spiders and gollums, but I only remember harpies for chapter two and gargoyles for chapter three. I guess blocking the zombie holes in chapter two might count. So two for the first two chapters and one for chapter three. Still very few.

You only seem to get around 100-200 gold at most for missions, so it's not like you're ever rolling in it.

Hm, did chapter one actually have three witching quests? I remember something with drowners.

I think the final armor I used was a piece from the DLC, with 16 defense. It was pretty shitty compared to what was up for purchase, but I was frankly shit out of luck at that point because there was no way to raise more money. I never even built the Kayran armor because I could never afford it.

Foffy

Banned
Kyaw said:
Pretty much...

Man, i'm really looking forward to the first teaser/screen shot of The Witcher 3.

Fingers crossed that we get an expansion pack to The Witcher 2 after the 360 port is out. I don't think I can wait years for the next game. Especially with the way it ended!

Rahnter

Can I activate a retail copy on steam? Shows up on the supported list, but it failed when I tried. I just added it to the library for now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CrunchedA more serious bother (story-related): [spoiler said:
was kind of pissed at how easy the resolution to Where is Triss Merigold? was. I did this playthrough going for the greater good, so I usually ignored the Triss option when presented with where to go next, and I expected some consequences to come of that. But nope, Letho protects her and she rejoins Geralt as if nothing at all has happened. I get that the story was mostly focused on politics, but I expected more from the relationship between them.[/spoiler]

This is something that The Witcher 2 didn't do as well as the original, I feel. The story is a bit more focused, and the huge variety in in Chapter 2 based on your end choice in Chapter 1, but it never really punishes you for any of your decisions.

In fact, unlike the first game, The Witcher 2 never really puts you in difficult situations either. There's a couple of moments where you have to think which path you will walk, but its usually pretty clean cut if you know how you want to play. There's nothing like the Scoia'tael Vs. Flaming Rose cluster fucks in the first game, where you're forced into really confronting situations.

Not that it bothers me much. The differences between the two variations of Chapter 2 based on Chapter 1 make up for it.

Red

EatChildren said:
This is something that The Witcher 2 didn't do as well as the original, I feel. The story is a bit more focused, and the huge variety in in Chapter 2 based on your end choice in Chapter 1, but it never really punishes you for any of your decisions.

In fact, unlike the first game, The Witcher 2 never really puts you in difficult situations either. There's a couple of moments where you have to think which path you will walk, but its usually pretty clean cut if you know how you want to play. There's nothing like the Scoia'tael Vs. Flaming Rose cluster fucks in the first game, where you're forced into really confronting situations.

Not that it bothers me much. The differences between the two variations of Chapter 2 based on Chapter 1 make up for it.
I just played through the prologue on a new file, and killed Aryan right away. Last time I spared him. I was surprised to discover that
the entire escape sequence plays out differently having him dead.
Very cool.

I only ever played 7 hours of TW1, so I'll have to get back to it. I agree that TW2 tends to be a bit lenient, and in some ways I wish there were more consequences, but at the same time I'm glad it doesn't push you to play a certain way. Geralt works in shades of grey, and that really benefits the game.

I'm excited to see how chapter 2 changes on Roche's path. Last game I played a "savior of the people" type, friend of nonhumans and all that. This time I'm playing ruthless, I've already killed myself egging on Roche in the interrogation room :)

It also really helps playing through the game once to understand who characters are back at the start. The first time through I couldn't really follow all the political stuff or what kingdoms were where, but now I have a pretty solid grip on the world this takes place in.

It's really a game that gives back as much as you put into it. I want to experiment and see what else changes depending on choice. This also gives me a chance to redo missions I failed last time or that glitched out on me.

It's such an expertly crafted game.

Anyone else play an alchemist? I'm trying that this time through, also playing on hard, and I'm wondering how difficult it gets by the end. Is it much tougher than a mage path?

I also read Geralt's character journal entry for the first time, and it describes him as "perpetually penniless." Perfectly fitting for my first playthrough.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EatChildren said:

I disagree with this. There were a number of tough choices and while the first game also did this they weren't that crucial for the story. Also you can fuck up some quests pretty bad and you'll be punished (morally at least) even if you were decieved.

Edit: I didn't like the pure alchemical path. It's better to combine.
The first game also had less variety in quests. I enjoyed bullshitting the standart bearer and it was really hard as I had to use my wits to pass hrough this dialogue. I don't remembr such quests from the first game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
subversus said:
I disagree with this. There were a number of tough choices and while the first game also did this they weren't that crucial for the story. Also you can fuck up some quests pretty bad and you'll be punished (morally at least) even if you were decieved.

I cant agree. I felt it was pretty easy to pick a side in nearly every moral dilemma in The Witcher 2, and by that I mean it usually boiled down to "Merceless Geralt vs. Forgiving Geralt". You'd either spare someone's life, or you'd kill them. It would be a relatively nice guy, versus an arse. It was easier, in my opinion, to pick a personality for Geralt and play it.

On the other hand, the first game had more difficult scenarios you were forced to make decisions in, and just shitty situations in general where it was easy to screw up. The autopsy, the bank heist, Shani Vs. Triss, Scoia'tael Vs Order at the end of Chapter 4, etc. These were pretty tough situations where I felt myself having to really think about what I wanted to do, and knowing that neither option was all that appealing as I knew there would be consiquences.

A simple example of The Witcher 2 not really punishing you for hard decisions was the one Crunched mentioned in Chapter 3.
Save Triss vs. Save Kids, Roches path. Save one, and someone else saves the other. The story itself plays out a bit different, but the game is coming to an end so there are no real consiquences for your actions.

As said, it doesn't bother me, because The Witcher 2 has much more variety in quests, and seems more focused on offering different quests based on your decisions. The story path is shaped based on your choices, and thats great. I just didnt feel many, if any, of the actual decisions were hard to make or truly consequential.

Zzoram said:
Ok, where the heck is Cedric? He disappeared from his perch above the two ladders just outside Flotsam.

I meditated at the top of the ladders until like 8pm and he showed up again.

Just try meditating there.

Zzoram said:
Ok, where the heck is Cedric? He disappeared from his perch above the two ladders just outside Flotsam.

If you need him for a quest just track it, the tracking shows you where they are rather than where they should be. Unlike the first game *fist*

Zzoram

I just want to get a Diagram from Cedric, the Kayran armor enhancement. I'll try finding him at another time later.

Does he ever walk away from his guard post for a quest? I don't think I have a quest where I need to find him, but I did just kill the Kayran so maybe stuff changed.

Gvaz

Banned
I decided. The combat in this game is superior to Assassin's Creed 1. I don't know about 2, I've barely played it. Also never touched assbro.

Everytime I get into combat in AC1, I'm always like "step? what does that mean? Where is my roll, why it is such a pain to avoid and block blows, I just want to kick away this dude's sword and stab him in the gut" Then I realize in TW2 you can just roll around them and stab them in the butthole and I appreciate TW2 more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gvaz said:
I decided. The combat in this game is superior to Assassin's Creed 1. I don't know about 2, I've barely played it. Also never touched assbro.

AC combat is consistently boring and it only gets worse as the series goes on. In AssBro you can do kill streaks where you bounce from enemy to enemy as you instant kill them, and you can even tap a button to send in other people to kill for you.

TW2's combat isn't the most polished but at least it requires some brain function.

Forkball

EatChildren said:
I cant agree. I felt it was pretty easy to pick a side in nearly every moral dilemma in The Witcher 2, and by that I mean it usually boiled down to "Merceless Geralt vs. Forgiving Geralt". You'd either spare someone's life, or you'd kill them. It would be a relatively nice guy, versus an arse. It was easier, in my opinion, to pick a personality for Geralt and play it.

On the other hand, the first game had more difficult scenarios you were forced to make decisions in, and just shitty situations in general where it was easy to screw up. The autopsy, the bank heist, Shani Vs. Triss, Scoia'tael Vs Order at the end of Chapter 4, etc. These were pretty tough situations where I felt myself having to really think about what I wanted to do, and knowing that neither option was all that appealing as I knew there would be consiquences.

A simple example of The Witcher 2 not really punishing you for hard decisions was the one Crunched mentioned in Chapter 3.
Save Triss vs. Save Kids, Roches path. Save one, and someone else saves the other. The story itself plays out a bit different, but the game is coming to an end so there are no real consiquences for your actions.

As said, it doesn't bother me, because The Witcher 2 has much more variety in quests, and seems more focused on offering different quests based on your decisions. The story path is shaped based on your choices, and thats great. I just didnt feel many, if any, of the actual decisions were hard to make or truly consequential.
I agree. Take a Chapter 1 quest from the first Witcher. You are fighting monsters near this guy's cargo shipment, and then some elves come out and say the cargo is for them. You can either believe them and give it to them, or don't and fight them. But if you give it to them, a quasi-important character in Chapter 2 dies. Witcher 2 really didn't have any consequences like that. While they were still much better than the "be a hero/villain" morality in other games, I never really felt the impact of my decisions. However, Witcher 3 might rectify this. The connections between Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 are somewhat minor, but I don't expect this to be the case in the next game. So I expect that letting someone live or die in Witcher 2 could have major ramifications in the third game.

EatChildren

Gvaz said:

The Witcher 2 is much better simply because you actually requires player involvement, and isn't "mash attack to win". AC's combat is utter horseshit and one of the prime reasons I find the series so damn boring.

Forkball said:
I agree. Take a Chapter 1 quest from the first Witcher. You are fighting monsters near this guy's cargo shipment, and then some elves come out and say the cargo is for them. You can either believe them and give it to them, or don't and fight them. But if you give it to them, a quasi-important character in Chapter 2 dies. Witcher 2 really didn't have any consequences like that. While they were still much better than the "be a hero/villain" morality in other games, I never really felt the impact of my decisions. However, Witcher 3 might rectify this. The connections between Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 are somewhat minor, but I don't expect this to be the case in the next game. So I expect that letting someone live or die in Witcher 2 could have major ramifications in the third game.

Thats a great example. Even that making that decision was difficult, as the elves were claiming one thing, and you didn't have all the info to know if they were telling the truth. The Witcher was full of 'on the spot' moments like that, where you cant run away or take the easy way out, whereas The Witcher 2 was a bit...I dont know, 'easier' in its moral dilemma.

Not always though. The end choice of Chapter 1 was a difficult fork in the road.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
eh, I found that with both, it's easy to pick the right side

squirrels over the order in the first one, sure the squirrels are a bit eccentric, but at least they're not racist or do nazi-esque experiments on people (or have bowl-cuts like Siegfried)

squirrels vs. order pretty much matches up to Ior vs. Roach in TW2, it just happens faster, and it's free of any overt political leanings

Even though I'm doing the Roach path now, it's just not the same as working for my man Ior. Clearly the non-humans are in the right here.

TW1 was more expansive and it had more divisive moments like that, but at the same time it was loaded with crap quests while TW2 was more refined

EatChildren

Im not really defending TW1, as I thought TW2 was better on pretty much every single front :p. Not sure about the squirrels not being racist though. Many of them clearly are racist and very anti-human, to the point where a lot of non-humans dont like dealing with them. Often they're little more than fanatical terrorists.

But the order wasn't much better either. The Witcher at least allowed for a neutral path.

EatChildren

Exactly how I like to play!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EatChildren said:
Im not really defending TW1, as I thought TW2 was better on pretty much every single front :p. Not sure about the squirrels not being racist though. Many of them clearly are racist and very anti-human, to the point where a lot of non-humans dont like dealing with them. Often they're little more than fanatical terrorists.

Typical d'hoine response.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Patch 1.3 is up !

http://en.thewitcher.com/patch1-3/

24cvznd.gif

Kyaw

Fuck, i can't do the quest in chapter 2...
well, i can buy the required items from the merchants... i suggest you don't do the harpy quest from the town billboard before this quest.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Got the patch, started a new game, playing with controller, went to play dice with that soldier at the very beginning, and there's no button assigned to the re-roll dice function so after the first roll I can't do anything, not even quit the game as menus don't function during those instances. Edit: I forgot I had the light crafting items mod, deleting the file fixed it. Everything else, performance and what not, seems the same but it's good to know they fixed some things like the created items not appearing in the inventory.

It's not exactly a good idea to add quests to random points of the game like that either. It just makes it slightly better for first timers. Their DLC should have been separate stories like The Witcher 1 adventure they did. It could use the same environments just be stand alone in how it's played so you can take your end game character to any new quest instead of restart the game or load a save for one measly quest or item every so often... I guess if they had a post-story mode that allowed you to revisit any area and finish off any available quests that didn't involve the main plot it could have worked, alas with such a cliffhanger ending and how the story worked they couldn't do that either...

Monte

Neo Member
Installed the game today on steam. Everything went fine and I installed the patches but the game just wont launch. I don't get a launcher or anything.

Anyone know how to fix this?

EatChildren

Foffy said:
Doesn't the ending of Witcher 2 pretty much hint at a third game? :p

Lots of games hint at sequels, but that doesn't mean they'll get them.

The Witcher 2 has done pretty well though, as far as I'm aware, so a third game is hopefully in the works.

Domstercool

Did I see someone just match the combat system of Witcher 2 to Assassin's Creed? Noooooooooo!!

Every Assassin's Creed, even Brotherhood, has you simply waiting and then press counter attack to kill. I really wish they would sort the combat out in those games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom