• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

epmode said:
Except for how the autosaves never overwrite themselves. I don't even think you can do a full runthrough without the game performance dropping due to a massive save folder unless you manually clean it out.

I can't believe they kept this idiotic save behavior from the last game.

I'm pretty sure they patched that so it's no longer like that now. They also reduced save game sizes. I've had games that got bloated and slowed down in TW1 but never TW2.

epmode

Complistic said:
I'm pretty sure they patched that so it's no longer like that now.
If they did, it had to be in 1.3 and I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes.

Just follow what Valve does. Keep the last two or three autosaves, overwrite the oldest one automatically.

mileS

epmode said:
If they did, it had to be in 1.3 and I don't remember seeing it in the patch notes.

Just follow what Valve does. Keep the last two or three autosaves, overwrite the oldest one automatically.

It was 1.2. It was also not hard to find in the patch notes. (it was number 3-5 on the list of patch notes. If you missed that you most likely didn't read any of them)

Theres a couple spots in the Witcher 2 that can block your progress if the autosaves worked like that. Mostly due to scripting issues or something. Theres a room you can get stuck in the prison for instance. If you let it autosave for you there, and deleted the rest of your saves, you would have to start over.

I just beat the Kayran and I'm loving the combat! Does that make me a weirdo? Does it become a lot worse, or are people mostly complaining about it because it's hard?

Does the game warn you when you're about to enter the point of no return for the chapter? I'm scared to do much of the main quest in case I can't ever finish these side quests.

epmode

mileS said:
It was 1.2. It was also not hard to find in the patch notes. (it was number 3-5 on the list of patch notes. If you missed that you most likely didn't read any of them)

Theres a couple spots in the Witcher 2 that can block your progress if the autosaves worked like that. Mostly due to scripting issues or something. Theres a room you can get stuck in the prison for instance. If you let it autosave for you there, and deleted the rest of your saves, you would have to start over.
Which is why you have the game automatically keep X autosaves. If your most recent save won't work, just go to an older one.

And I reread the 1.2 patch notes, there's absolutely nothing about automatically deleting autosaves: http://www.thewitcher.com/patch1-2/

And it's not the file size that's annoying, it's the fact that anyone who finishes the game will have at least one hundred garbage autosaves, probably more. It's annoying as hell to sort through and allowing you to manually delete them isn't much of a solution.

I can't even think of another game that clutters up a save folder so badly. Aside from the first game, I guess.

teiresias

The first game cluttered the save folder something fierce - though I never had its amount of bloat affect the actual performance of the game. It would also help if they would let me choose a file to overwrite when I did a manual save instead of always making a new file. I swear, the save system in both games fails common save-file IO 101 in so many ways it's ridiculous - they must dump the save file system on some intern.

OK, I just got to the beginning of Chapter 1 (on the boat) and I can't run because I'm "Carrying too much weight". Am I just stuck dropping a bunch of stuff and losing it? There's a chest on the ship, but it's apparently not any kind of storage as I can't interact with it.

Also, despite what the tutorial panels say I've found no way to selectively take items from chests, people, etc. I can only press 'X' and take everything immediately, while the tutorial says I should be able to seletively pick stuff, but I can't. Is this yet another bug or do the devs just not even know how to play their own game and so the tutorial panel is wrong?

Complistic

darkpaladinmfc said:
I just beat the Kayran and I'm loving the combat! Does that make me a weirdo? Does it become a lot worse, or are people mostly complaining about it because it's hard?

Does the game warn you when you're about to enter the point of no return for the chapter? I'm scared to do much of the main quest in case I can't ever finish these side quests.

No I really like the combat too. I liked the combat in the first one as well, but it is so much better in the second. I think a lot of people had problems because he doesn't look as flashy when he's fighting as he did in TW1, but if you can pull of combos in TW2 he does most of those cool animations. It's just harder to pull off.

epmode

teiresias said:
Also, despite what the tutorial panels say I've found no way to selectively take items from chests, people, etc. I can only press 'X' and take everything immediately, while the tutorial says I should be able to seletively pick stuff, but I can't. Is this yet another bug or do the devs just not even know how to play their own game and so the tutorial panel is wrong?
The tutorial panel is correct so long as you're using mouse+keyboard. There's no way to split a pickup on a pad. This is one of the reasons I went with the zero-weight mod.

Kambing

Does anyone know where i can download Witcher 2 saves? Checked on the internet and could not find a depository. I just received my SSD from intel, it had the 8MB bug so i lost my save =(. Don't want to play it again because i was planning on doing my second run with the human path on chapter two. Damn man, 20 hours gone just like that -_-

teiresias

epmode said:
The tutorial panel is correct so long as you're using mouse+keyboard. There's no way to split a pickup on a pad. This is one of the reasons I went with the zero-weight mod.

Since I'm not too far into the game I'm thinking of starting over and using the KB+M like someone suggested above. I actually liked the OTS controls in the first game, are they sufficiently similar in this game that I'd like them. I've read combat really is alot better with the 360 controller which is the main reason I went with the controller, but it just seems so half-assed the way they've done it on everything else (though I'd imagine they're going to need to polish it for the X360 release).

sick game is sick. soon as I get a second gtx580 and a bigger screen, im playing this baby with ubersampling on. it already looks amazing enough without it. I wonder how much time was spent on the art alone.

darkpaladinmfc said:
QUOTE]

The Kayran battle was fun, many others are not. I just don´t like how quickly you can loose all your energy in this. There are many battles where you feel you are doing very well, and then you twich the joypad just a bit wrong and Geralt jumps to a completely different foe, gets stuck between 4-5 others, and is defeated in just two seconds. The battle system is just not good for more than 2-3 enemies at most.

AEREC

I have a question about difficulty...I played the Witcher 1 on Hard and found it pretty easy.

Im starting the Witcher 2 today and want to know if normal is a good challenge or should I go straight to hard?

CecilRousso said:
The Kayran battle was fun, many others are not. I just don´t like how quickly you can loose all your energy in this. There are many battles where you feel you are doing very well, and then you twich the joypad just a bit wrong and Geralt jumps to a completely different foe, gets stuck between 4-5 others, and is defeated in just two seconds. The battle system is just not good for more than 2-3 enemies at most.
I'm only on Chapter 2, but having a load of bombs makes group fights a lot easier.

Skirn

AEREC said:
I have a question about difficulty...I played the Witcher 1 on Hard and found it pretty easy.

Im starting the Witcher 2 today and want to know if normal is a good challenge or should I go straight to hard?
I recommend you to play it on normal on your first run. In my opinion the combat's just too frustrating on Hard in the Prologue and Chapter 1, especially if you're new to the game.

You can raise the combat difficulty anytime in the gameplay options if you find it to be too easy later on in the game.

AEREC

Skirn said:
I recommend you to play it on normal on your first run. In my opinion the combat's just too frustrating on Hard in the Prologue and Chapter 1, especially if you're new to the game.

You can raise the combat difficulty anytime in the gameplay options if you find it to be too easy later on in the game.

Thanks...for some reason Im a big stickler about picking a difficulty and sticking with it throughout the game.

If it's the beginning of the game that is the most difficult then Im gonna risk it go Hard.

Edit: maybe ill go with normal...I thought there was a steam achievement for completing the game on hard, but there isn't.

squidyj

AEREC said:

go hard or go home. Honestly by the end of it on hard it won't even seem to be that much of a challenge.

Solo

Any word yet on any future expansions/DLC? Also, are they still patching this pretty much weekly (AKA buttfucking Steam users)?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
Any word yet on any future expansions/DLC? Also, are they still patching this pretty much weekly (AKA buttfucking Steam users)?

'Major DLC' news coming at Gamescom.

Red

Solo said:
Steam patches are no longer 9GB. Last one was 100MB.

Frost_Ace

Stupid question: is this game playable (ie: 25-30 fps) at 720p if I barely pass the minium requirments?

my lappy specs are:

i5 430m (dualcore @2,26 Ghz)
Ati mobility radeon hd5470
4 GB RAM DDR3

AEREC said:
Thanks...for some reason Im a big stickler about picking a difficulty and sticking with it throughout the game.

If it's the beginning of the game that is the most difficult then Im gonna risk it go Hard.

Edit: maybe ill go with normal...I thought there was a steam achievement for completing the game on hard, but there isn't.
You really shouldn't let a Steam achievement influence your decision >_<.

So I recently (about an hour ago) just completed the 3rd part, and all I have to say was the opening to the 2nd chapter was amazing. Completely was not expecting that to be so cool. Also, the game is pretty challenging on Normal difficulty.

Solo

So nice to hear that they finally fixed the Steam issue. It sucks that it wasn't fixed during my two playthroughs, but at least its fixed for future DLC/patches.

Finally got around to creating a Windows partition on my Macbook Pro.

I'm now downloading The Witcher 2 from Steam as we speak!

I also purchased the mini-Displayport to HDMI connector as well as the Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver. I'm getting ready for some big comfy couch PC master race fun!

Imperial Hot said:
Finally got around to creating a Windows partition on my Macbook Pro.

I'm now downloading The Witcher 2 from Steam as we speak!

I also purchased the mini-Displayport to HDMI connector as well as the Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver. I'm getting ready for some big comfy couch PC master race fun!

Welcome, friend! You picked a fantastic way to get started.

RedSwirl

I've come to the conclusion that the main thing that this game nails is really just the overall presentation (and tech along with it). DC Projekt has just done a really excellent job of translating the world of the books into a video game from the art style to the writing and how the story is laid out.

The only thing that really fails is the core gameplay which just didn't feel like it was properly balanced (I haven't played it post-patch yet). This being an RPG though, the world is really the main reason people play it and that's what they got right.

Solo

How has GAF's biggest Witcher cheerleader NOT played the game 2+ months after release? Its beyond comprehension!

AEREC

Damn...this game is a looker. Im about an hour into Floatsom right now and the writing, voice acting, dialogue delivery is already 100x better than Witcher 1.

I am regretting some of the choices I made in the first game (siding with the Squirrels as I didnt realize you could stay neutral) and I almost regret killing Aryan La Valette in the intro but I gave him a chance to surrender and he wouldnt. But I guess Ill just stick with the choices Ive made.

panda21

damn it i didnt play this for ages and now its downloading a 9gb 'patch'. all i can find on the internet is that its a problem with steam and cdproject were working with valve to resolve it 'by monday' several months ago.

Jokab

Finished up The Witcher 1 last night and jumping into Witcher 2 right away. Should I go for the save import, even though I'm not entirely happy about all my decisions? Is it worth it for the extra stuff that happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom