• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jokab said:
Finished up The Witcher 1 last night and jumping into Witcher 2 right away. Should I go for the save import, even though I'm not entirely happy about all my decisions? Is it worth it for the extra stuff that happens?
Your decisions don't make that much of an impact, so just import and don't regret anything :).

Gvaz

Banned
panda21 said:
damn it i didnt play this for ages and now its downloading a 9gb 'patch'. all i can find on the internet is that its a problem with steam and cdproject were working with valve to resolve it 'by monday' several months ago.
They did solve it, you probably just turned on steam for the first time in ages

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Relax.MX said:
I can not kill Letho

Help?

Roll around, a lot. Always interrupt his shield spell by zapping him (Aard? I think), if you can. If he gets his shield up, just stay away. When his shield is down, zap him and while he's reeling, do a couple of light attacks and then a heavy. No more than two or three hits, then roll away. Repeat over and over. Just be patient about it. I had my ass handed to me initially too, but he's actually surprisingly easy once you figure him out.

There are other ways of doing this, but that worked well enough for me. Try watching this too. Shows you exactly what I mean.

Is there a way to pull of combos consistently in this game? I feel like there are times when I'm seamlessly moving from one strike to the next and other times I hit once and there is a delay until the next attack

Kyaw

Yeah, there are simple combos.

Just experiment, judge and anticipate from the animations whether you should be doing a heavy attack or a fast attack. I think quick, quick, heavy is a combo.

Also depends on the enemy. If your enemy is armoured and slow, use heavy.
If you enemy is quick and agile, use quick attack.

chixdiggit

I could have sworn in the beginning of the game a tutorial pop up told me I could "turn off potions". Is this true? How? Do I lose the potions?

Just started playing this yesterday. Did CD Projekt change the voice actors of the big dude and the elf from those of the trailer? The ones in the trailer sounded a lot cooler.

Home

Dled this off steam on thursday, beat it tonight, it was a decent experience. I found the game (on normal) to be ridiculously hard during act 1 (for a normal difficulty level) but after act 1 the game got much much easier, and by the end I felt pretty invincible. I was pretty by how hard the start of the game was, and had to look up on YT how to fight the end boss of that act. The constant dying really wasn't all that fun.

Combat was ok, I did like the variety in the human enemy finishers though, they were all pretty neat.

Story was great, I'm excited to see where dlc/an expac/next game comes in.

Having an issue with the Steam version

- I go to run it, does the install etc, then I click play and it says loading game and then nothing.
- Tried verifying files, it says 9gb had to be re-downloaded. I did that.
- Tried to run it again, first time setup, etc, still didn't load.
- Tried to go to the folder and do "run as admin" etc, still nothing.

Common problem? Solution? :(

ss_lemonade

Just beat the game, ending wasn't what I had in mind. Good game anyway, enjoyed it a lot despite the flaws. Will be doing my 2nd run with iorveth this time, heard its pretty different than siding with roche.

Kambing

Foliorum Viridum said:
Having an issue with the Steam version

- I go to run it, does the install etc, then I click play and it says loading game and then nothing.
- Tried verifying files, it says 9gb had to be re-downloaded. I did that.
- Tried to run it again, first time setup, etc, still didn't load.
- Tried to go to the folder and do "run as admin" etc, still nothing.

Common problem? Solution? :(

I had a similar problem a week ago mate, although i was able to play after verifying the game data.

Try this:

- Make sure "steam" is set to run as admin.
- Manually patch 1.3. It is found in a folder called "Patcher" in the Wicher 2 directory.
- Launch game from steam.

Hopefully this helps brah. I just beat the game and it is so damn GOOD.

georaldc said:
Just beat the game, ending wasn't what I had in mind. Good game anyway, enjoyed it a lot despite the flaws. Will be doing my 2nd run with iorveth this time, heard its pretty different than siding with roche.
Iorveth path is much more enjoyable IMO, you meet many more characters and Vergen is a much more interesting place than the military camp. Although I do feel siding with Roche is more appropriate, as Geralt doesn't owe Iorveth anything, but got a lot of help from Roche.

Relax.MX

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Roll around, a lot. Always interrupt his shield spell by zapping him (Aard? I think), if you can. If he gets his shield up, just stay away. When his shield is down, zap him and while he's reeling, do a couple of light attacks and then a heavy. No more than two or three hits, then roll away. Repeat over and over. Just be patient about it. I had my ass handed to me initially too, but he's actually surprisingly easy once you figure him out.

There are other ways of doing this, but that worked well enough for me. Try watching this too. Shows you exactly what I mean.

Thanks man..you help me alot...!!

Kattbuss

Hi guys!
I just built a new computer, got it all set up and I am now finally able to play The Witcher 2 :D
Now, since I've heard that it plays pretty good with a gamepad I'm curious to see if there is any way to use a PS3 controller with the game. I only have a wireless 360 controller and it seems like it will not work with a charge cable.
Any advice would be helpful!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AmandaMatricks said:
Hi guys!
I just built a new computer, got it all set up and I am now finally able to play The Witcher 2 :D
Now, since I've heard that it plays pretty good with a gamepad I'm curious to see if there is any way to use a PS3 controller with the game. I only have a wireless 360 controller and it seems like it will not work with a charge cable.
Any advice would be helpful!

Yes, I use my PS3 controller very often with PC games, including the Witcher 2.

You need to download the MotionInJoy drivers.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It's actually quite easy, consult this guide if you need to.

http://forums.motioninjoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1186

I play wirelessly with my PS3 pad, it's nice, and it works with any game with native 360 pad support. :)

Kattbuss

Snuggler said:
Yes, I use my PS3 controller very often with PC games, including the Witcher 2.

You need to download the MotionInJoy drivers.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It's actually quite easy, consult this guide if you need to.

http://forums.motioninjoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1186

I play wirelessly with my PS3 pad, it's nice, and it works with any game with native 360 pad support. :)

Perfect! Thanks Snuggler, much appreciated!
Doesn't look too complicated either, I'll set this up and then finally start playing :)

darkpaladinmfc said:
Iorveth path is much more enjoyable IMO, you meet many more characters and Vergen is a much more interesting place than the military camp. Although I do feel siding with Roche is more appropriate, as Geralt doesn't owe Iorveth anything, but got a lot of help from Roche.

I refused to side with that Squirrel bastard after I helped his pals to defeat the Order and he didn't even have a "hey Geralt, 'sup" for me when we met.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
I refused to side with that Squirrel bastard after I helped his pals to defeat the Order and he didn't even have a "hey Geralt, 'sup" for me when we met.

the jaded bastard hardly even acknowledged the fact that I helped his brethren, I guess he is too hardcore to associate with them

Exuro

darkpaladinmfc said:
Yeah. I'm not finished with my Iorveth path but Roche pops up a lot more in it than Iorveth does in the Roche path which I'm really enjoying, mostly because I think Roche is a badass and despite him not liking my decisions to join Iorveth he still helps me while I don't think you ever really see/meet with Iorveth on the Roche path. I'd say Iorveth path > Roche path, but Roche >>> Iorveth.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Exuro said:
Yeah. I'm not finished with my Iorveth path but Roche pops up a lot more in it than Iorveth does in the Roche path which I'm really enjoying, mostly because I think Roche is a badass and despite him not liking my decisions to join Iorveth he still helps me while I don't think you ever really see/meet with Iorveth on the Roche path. I'd say Iorveth path > Roche path, but Roche >>> Iorveth.

No, you can meet with Iorveth on Roche's path if you choose to.

Exuro

subversus said:
No, you can meet with Iorveth on Roche's path if you choose to.
How many times though? I remember near the end of chapter 2 I could choose to. On my Iorveth path I've met with Roche twice so far in chapter 2, one of which I would think is impossible to not meet him.

Solo said:
3 months later, Roche is still >> Iorveth

Good man, Solo. Superior voice actor wins.

Also Iorveth doesn't have that baws fall/recover/kill move that Roche pulls off. Iorveth's more of a square enix jrpg dude design wise.

Esch

Banned
I actually don't like Roche that much. For a special forces commando and all that his ability to stay frosty seems very questionable to me. There are a lot of scenes in the game where he loses his shit. Understandable given the circumstances, but i just didn't feel it.

Playing the Iorveth path now for the first time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thats why I like Roche. He has the ranking and skill of someone who leads a special forces unit, yet is a hot headed lunatic waiting to explode.

But I also quite like Iorveth as well. I like his design, and I like to hate how much of a dick he is. He speaks like he really doesn't give a fuck about anything other than his own goals.

Then there's Saskia. Who is a babe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ves is the true babe.

Also, I really think CDPR should consider a spin-off game using the Witcher 2 engine. I would LOVE to play as Iorveth, Roche, or Letho in a seperate storyline.

Stitch

Gold Member
catabarez said:
Has anyone else dealt with this site before? I'm not sure whether to buy from them or not.
yes, got several games from them including the witcher 2. never had a problem.

Forkball

Triss > All

Also there was a patch today:

Issue with shadows in 3D Vision mode has been resolved.
Screenshots to savegames made in 3D Vision are now visible in load menu.
Issue with Steam achievements not being registered has been resolved.
Blood texture glitches in game with ubersampling option turned on have been fixed.
Pocket item counter is properly updated after picking up an item which is already selected.
Issue with ingredient counter when brewing multiple Thunderbolt potions has been resolved.
Finished “Scent of incencse” quest is no longer marked as failed when entering Loredo’s residence at the end of Chapter 1.
Corrections have been made in the greater mutagen drop rate.
Deleting savegame after entering memories and flashbacks menu no longer causes “Loading available flashbacks” message to appear.
Game exe files are no longer treated as a threat by popular antivirus software.
Patching the game automatically right after installation no longer causes Launcher.exe error on Windows XP systems.
Game installation folder is not recognized if diacritic signs were used in folder name on Windows which doesn’t support them. Patch now properly informs about the cause of the problem.
Name of two scientists in Flotsam have been corrected.
Storage chest description have been corrected.
Description of Mahakaman Rune Sihill imported from The Witcher savegame have been corrected.

Exuro

My main problem with Iorveth, which is kind of silly, is that I hate his voice. I liked his old one from that earlier trailer.

Stitch

Gold Member
Chinner said:
are you sure steam wont ban you for this? just want to make sure :(
no they wont ban you. activision was being a dick and told valve to remove call of duty keys from g2play from steam but no one was ever banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom