• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

Can someone help me out on the combat? I just don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but I cannot fight things in groups.

Does it make a huge difference unlocking the "group attack" ability?

Basically, I come across a group of nekkers and they just swarm me. I can't get a sword swing off because I"m being hit, I can block one guy and then try to swing but I just get hit from someone else and next thing I know i'm dead. What is the trick here?

Foffy

Banned
Darkkn said:
New 'inspired by witcher' music video on official site has this message at the end.

http://www.thewitcher.com/the-witcher/2/videos/trailers/

Get hyped!!!

Hopefully dx11 support with different shadowing scheme included with this patch.

Man, CD Projekt is just killing it. They don't even have to update the game anymore for me, but the fact they feel the need to is amazing.

I do hope the Gamescom reveal is something more meatier than a patch with a new quest. Maybe something post-Epilogue.

mileS

2.0?!? GamesCom can't come soon enough! soooo hyped!

Chinner said:
im almost nearing the end of witcher 1 (chapt 5), really want to get witcher 2. what kind of performance will i get with a 580 and a 2500k?

also excite about upgraded pc version.

You'll be happy with the performance.. that sounds like a beastly rig.
Just be sure to edit the user.ini file from the performance thread. Ultra+ Config will work good for you. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28106991&postcount=2825

off topic real quick, sad to see BoobPhysics101 banned. Dude helped a ton with that performance thread.

Solo

Chinner said:
im almost nearing the end of witcher 1 (chapt 5), really want to get witcher 2. what kind of performance will i get with a 580 and a 2500k?

also excite about upgraded pc version.

I have a 570 and 2500k, and I got 40-50 FPS @ 1920x1080 w/everything* turned on and everything on Ultra. And performance has apparently improved with each patch. In other words, it will run fantastic for you.

*except uber sampling

j-wood said:
Can someone help me out on the combat? I just don't know if I'm doing it wrong or what but I cannot fight things in groups.

Basically, I come across a group of nekkers and they just swarm me. I can't get a sword swing off because I"m being hit, I can block one guy and then try to swing but I just get hit from someone else and next thing I know i'm dead. What is the trick here?

I use bombs against the nekkers. I use the one that lights them on fire - forgot what it's called. Just throw, watch them light on fire, and run away until they burn to death - lol.

Red

j-wood said:

Upgrade your rolling ability no matter what your focus is. Even if you want to go all-mage or alchemist, make sure to toss a point or two into it.

Chinner

Banned
subversus said:
Snuggler said:
Yeah, that's beastly. Congrats on the nice rig, mr. chinner.
Shala said:
I have a 570 and 2500k, and I got 40-50 FPS @ 1920x1080 w/everything* turned on and everything on Ultra. And performance has apparently improved with each patch. In other words, it will run fantastic for you.

*except uber sampling
Thanks bro. Really looking forward to playing Witcher 2.

Anyway I know its not Witcher 2 related, but I've just finished Chapter 5 in the original and I'm on the beginning half of the epilogue
just killed Siegfield and currently in the sewers
and this game has really ramped up within this last two chapters.

Also, got Raven's armour and it owns.

njean777

Hey guys/girls just picked up a 360 controller and the witcher 2. Did they fix anything with the gamepad controls I heard people complaining about them when it first came out...

Jokab

j-wood said:

Yeah the group attack talent is really useful, but you pretty much only need to put one point in it. For that fight I had no choice but to lure them away one or two at a time and pick them off with aard/igni and some swift swipes before running away and repeating.

Also for anyone who's tired of all the running around: two points into the dodging talent is really great. The movement speed increase from just spamming roll is something like 50-60%, I'm loving it.

AEREC

Finally beat this game tonight on hard, my choices:

Killed Aryan La Valette
Sided with Iorveth
Let Sile explode
Let Saskia/Dragon Live (that was probably the hardest boss fight Ive done in a while
Killed Letho

Overall I thought the game was great, it had an incredible Prologue and First Chapter, but after getting to Vergen the game started to feel a bit rushed and cliched and in the 3rd chapter I wasnt sure if I was meant to explore or not but it felt like I was being rushed through the story.

The ending was satisfying though.

Kambing

njean777 said:
Hey guys/girls just picked up a 360 controller and the witcher 2. Did they fix anything with the gamepad controls I heard people complaining about them when it first came out...

I do not think anything was wrong with them in the first place. They were just a bit unconventional. I actually vastly prefer playing the game with the 360 controller as opposed the kb+m. Feels a lot more natural considering the way they changed the game play from the first witcher.

Did anyone else have a hard time staying engaged to finish the game? I love the atmosphere the luscious visuals and the combat but now that I'm at the
dwarven village
I just don't have any motivation to continue playing. Admittedly I think it might have a lot to do with not playing the first game and thus not getting the full impact of the story's twists and turns.

Red

BruceLeeRoy said:
Did anyone else have a hard time staying engaged to finish the game? I love the atmosphere the luscious visuals and the combat but now that I'm at the
dwarven village
I just don't have any motivation to continue playing. Admittedly I think it might have a lot to do with not playing the first game and thus not getting the full impact of the story's twists and turns.
It's very politics-heavy, so sometimes the story loses a bit of its immediacy. I will say things are about to get a lot more exciting if you trudge on.

I don't know why The Witcher games haven't pushed more of the wild hunt and Geralt's history. Hopefully we get more into that with TW3. The political stuff is okay, but there are a hell of a lot of places and names to keep track of, and a lot of the time it's an information overload.

Crunched said:
It's very politics-heavy, so sometimes the story loses a bit of its immediacy. I will say things are about to get a lot more exciting if you trudge on.

I don't know why The Witcher games haven't pushed more of the wild hunt and Geralt's history. Hopefully we get more into that with TW3. The political stuff is okay, but there are a hell of a lot of places and names to keep track of, and a lot of the time it's an information overload.
Yeah your exactly right it just feels like information overload and I forget which quest is the overall important one. Anyways thanks for the response I'll keep trudging on.

Solo

All you need to know is that Roche is your bro, Foltest is cool, and that Henselt and almost everyone else are shitheads.

zkylon

zkylewd
I loved the information overload. At first, it's very overwhelming but once you start remembering the names and places and making the connections yourself it's really satisfying. It's my favorite thing about the game.

Crunched said:

Which is why I love Witcher games. You might not necessarily know the name of every ruler and governor in a village, and all the complex political games between different kingdoms. But heck, it makes you feel like you are deep within hornet's nest and your actions will reverberate around the country. It's complex and layered, and benefits tremendously from lore and established mythology from books. Yet you navigate through this complex tapestry of politics, intrigue and brinksmanship using the story of what happened to you (wild hunt, yennefer, etc) as the compass, and that's where Witcher succeeds and others fail.

Dries

So I'm gonna buy a new PC to play this game (and Crysis, among others), but I've been out of PC gaming for a couple years, so I've got no idea what kind of PC I need. I want to play this game with everything maxed and full AA. Can anyone kind of give me an idea what kind of system I should be aiming for?

This fucking game is hard! Not saying is a bad thing, but I remember the beast in the first game was also a pain in the ass to kill.

Act 1 spoiler:
I just spent almost 2 hours trying to kill the Kingslayer in act 1. I killed him once, and the cut scene played out but as soon as it went back to player control, I died. WTF!

Exuro

Discotheque said:
The stupid beast in Witcher 1 was harder than anything I faced in Witcher 2

well...except for that dragon...fuck him
That was easy. Just memorize the attack patterns and its a piece of cake.

Hulud

I like how the storylines in the Witcher games aren't grandiose epic "omg you're the only one who can save the world!1" style stories. There are enough of those kinds of stories out there (every Bioware game and almost every JRPG). I dig the down to earth, detailed stories of the Witcherverse. Feels more realistic.

njean777

Been playing the game all day with the 360 controller, my god this game is amazing looking. The combat is a little wonky but everything else is really well done. Will def. be playing through this game.

Red

zkylon said:
I loved the information overload. At first, it's very overwhelming but once you start remembering the names and places and making the connections yourself it's really satisfying. It's my favorite thing about the game.
It's definitely a lot easier and interesting to follow on a second playthrough, once you've got the basics of the story down.

Dries said:
So I'm gonna buy a new PC to play this game (and Crysis, among others), but I've been out of PC gaming for a couple years, so I've got no idea what kind of PC I need. I want to play this game with everything maxed and full AA. Can anyone kind of give me an idea what kind of system I should be aiming for?
First, you likely won't be able to max it out and have it be playable with any reasonable configuration of current hardware. Ubersampling makes that all but impossible. But you can expect good performance with any of the Radeon 6xxx series or Nvidia 5xx cards. A 580 will net you the best performance, but that's a given.

I ran it at a usual 40+ fps with an i7 920 and 5870, and there are much better options out there right now. I also had everything maxed except ubersampling.

AEREC

Discotheque said:
The stupid beast in Witcher 1 was harder than anything I faced in Witcher 2

well...except for that dragon...fuck him

The best was easily the most frustrating boss in W1...it took me about 20+ retries until I got lucky and knocked him down and got an instant kill animation on him in like 30 seconds.

I agree with you on the other part too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty excited to see what their DLC announcement at Gamescom is. More of the same is welcome, but I'd love for a more sizable expansion pack.

AEREC

What ever happened to
Alvin
from the first game? They dont even mention him in the second...

I heard the theory that he was also the Grand Master from the first game, but I dont know if that was 100% the case...also it's odd that there is no mention of the white frost that will cover the earth in Witcher 2 either.

Kyaw

AEREC said:
What ever happened to
Alvin
from the first game? They dont even mention him in the second...

I heard the theory that he was also the Grand Master from the first game, but I dont know if that was 100% the case...also it's odd that there is no mention of the white frost that will cover the earth in Witcher 2 either.

Alvin was never important or significant in the grand scheme of things/politics.
And no one probably even knew that he was the grandmaster except you.

And i think CD Projekt stayed closer to the books in Witcher 2 as they dumped Shani too and focused on the Politics and the Wild Hunt.

Solo said:
The Witcher 2 Episodes: Vernon Roche: Origins

HELL YEAH! :D

Wouldn't mind an epilogue epilogue either.

AEREC said:
After hearing good things about Roche...I regret choosing Iorveth in my playthrough.

Go do a Roche run! You are missing out a whole new story path.

Solo

Exuro said:
Iorveth's area is a lot better though.

You know, I diagree. I frankly got a little bored in Vergen after a while, something which I didn't experience in my Roche playthrough at the military camp.

Exuro

Kyaw said:
Alvin was never important or significant in the grand scheme of things/politics.
And no one probably even knew that he was the grandmaster except you.
A lot of people figured that out. While they don't hit you over the head with a chair explaining it the hints towards the end are pretty obvious.

Kyaw

Exuro said:
A lot of people figured that out. While they don't hit you over the head with a chair explaining it the hints towards the end are pretty obvious.

Nononono, i meant the people in the Witcher world.

Of course WE know. :p

End of Act I spoilers:

The size of the map in Act I wasn't that impressive, but surprisingly there were a lot of things to do. So far, I've been playing for at least 15 hours. Got all the side quests though.

Fighting Letho was a major pain in the ass. It took more than 3 hours to beat him and that was after going back to an older save. To be honest, I was on the verge of giving up on the game at that point. There is no way to beat him with steel sword that gets imported from the Witcher 1. To defeat the brute I had to get a crafting diagram for the sword that caused the most damage in that chapter.

Looking forward to Act II, and from a previous post it seems this area also takes in the neighborhood of 15+ hours.

Vaporak

Lasthope106 said:
End of Act I spoilers:

The size of the map in Act I wasn't that impressive, but surprisingly there were a lot of things to do. So far, I've been playing for at least 15 hours. Got all the side quests though.

Fighting Letho was a major pain in the ass. It took more than 3 hours to beat him and that was after going back to an older save. To be honest, I was on the verge of giving up on the game at that point. There is no way to beat him with steel sword that gets imported from the Witcher 1. To defeat the brute I had to get a crafting diagram for the sword that caused the most damage in that chapter.

Looking forward to Act II, and from a previous post it seems this area also takes in the neighborhood of 15+ hours.

...why would you think you shouldn't get better equipment in an RPG?

Slo

Finished it.

Iorveth path, let Sile explode, let Letho live. I really hope Letho shows up in TW3, he's such a bad ass character.

I'm really curious about what would have happened differently if I would have let Sile live. Anybody know?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Slo said:
I'm really curious about what would have happened differently if I would have let Sile live. Anybody know?

she teleports away, and that's it

she owes me in a plough in TW3

Vaporak said:
...why would you think you shouldn't get better equipment in an RPG?

In the Witcher 1, you receive upgraded weapons and armor as a result of completing certain quests, so I guess I was expecting the same in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom