• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Last Hearth said:
I don't know, but I made it to chapter 2 so I felt like I've given it a fair chance. That's why I'm asking for opinions on what the rest of the game is like.
What are your issues with it? Just boredom?
If thats it, then dont expect many changes in Act 2. The biggest change gameplay wise in act 2 is the difficulty. It gets much easier. Other than that, the core game remains the same.

Solo said:
Sorry, the game is not for you. Best to stop now and save your time. I'm being 100% honest, by the way. It boggles my mind that someone could play Act 1 and be bored, but thats another issue altogether. If you dont like it now, you won't like it later.

Fair enough. Probably time to cut my losses then. The game does look gorgeous. But I don't find any of the characters likable, and 80% I have no idea who they are anyway, and the combat I've gotten through mostly on button mashing. I need at least one out of the action/RPG character progression/plot trio to compel me to continue and I'm not finding it so far.

Wallach

Kyaw said:
No Rage for me! :D

IBwFp.png

Salaadin

Im an HD Collection whore so I held back on some of my fall games in favor of ICO/SOTC HD and MGS HD. The only other game Im getting this fall is Uncharted 3, Zelda, and Skyrim.

Rage and Batman will have to wait :(

Rage for me but not this month, midterms and dark souls/nba kind of make yet another game a big problem (plus BF3 coming at the end of october).

I'm definitely gonna be playing this before the end of December though. id's first new IP in ages, everyone has to play it.

edit:er by "this" I mean Rage, didn't realize I was in Witcher 2 thread, aka runner-up goty.

Deadstar

Solo said:
Honest question: what is the need to? I can't recall a single instance using Steam when I've felt compelled to pull that up.

- Talk to friends
- Take screenshots
- View achievements
- Open internet browser

etc...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, I for one am extremely irritated.

Still no launcher fix for those who use custom DPI settings. They are aware of it, it's such a simple thing, and haven't fixed it. Did their GUI guy quit or something? Why should I have to change my DPI (which requires rebooting windows) just to change settings?

There is still absolutely no difference between AA off and AA on. I have a 5850 with regular and current drivers and have it set to use the game settings. It should be working. You also can't force it or you get red/transparent world.

Having these issues and seeing screens from people where the AA is working put me off right at the start and I still haven't played the game. 5850 is a very popular card and it should be properly supported.

Solo

Vanilla is more than fine for me. There is modding to improve areas where a game is lacking, and then there is modding for the sake of modding.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lets see how long it takes Dennis to get past the prologue.

Solo

EatChildren said:
Lets see how long it takes Dennis to get past the prologue.

Someone crunch the math:

1 screen every 10 feet from 10 different angles over the 4 prologue branches = how many screens?

Solo said:
Someone crunch the math:

1 screen every 10 feet from 10 different angles over the 4 prologue branches = how many screens?

Let's make this interesting, I want to know how much eye-candy he'll be collecting in megapixels.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Laptop doesn't seem to run it well, and me playing Dark Messiah is making it feel worse. I deserve to play the game! =[

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm seriously pissed about no AA. I just played the tutorial and everything looks extra shitty and shimmery in the gleam of moonlight. I wish I could sell this to someone. Should have bought retail.

Salaadin

Dice said:
I'm seriously pissed about no AA. I just played the tutorial and everything looks extra shitty and shimmery in the gleam of moonlight. I wish I could sell this to someone. Should have bought retail.

That is shitty. I have a 5850 too but Im not using custom DPI.

Red

I just booted up the game on Steam. It patched, and the launcher opened up, but when I tried to play the game the patching program restarted? It seems to be stuck in a loop.

Stuck on "decompressing data." Anyone else had trouble with the patcher on Steam?

Nevermind, must have been because my user.ini was set as read only. Working now.

Salaadin

Crunched said:
I just booted up the game on Steam. It patched, and the launcher opened up, but when I tried to play the game the patching program restarted? It seems to be stuck in a loop.

Stuck on "decompressing data." Anyone else had trouble with the patcher on Steam?

Im not on Steam so Im unfamilar with how it patches but I do know that the GOG version stayed on "Decompressing Data" for a while too. I left and came back 10 mins later to the "Patch complete" message.

Check this thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147625

Others are having similar issues. Might be worth posting there and sending Steam/CDPR an email to let them know.
http://www.thewitcher.com/support/
Click "Contact us" near the bottom

EDIT: Ahh good its working. Yay

Deadstar

So I just beat Witcher 2. Overall the game was amazing. I was reading in an interview that at the end you get a summary of the decisions you made during the course of the game. I didn't see this so maybe I missed it? I skipped through the credits so maybe it was at the end? Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

I just got the new patch so I thought I'd try another run-through. The spec tool now sets all settings to low even though I can run it at high at 60fps and it keeps stalling at the dice game? I can select the dice I wanna re roll but I can't re roll?

Anyone else getting this? I'm not so bothered about the spec tool but that hang is irritating.

Solo

Deadstar said:
So I just beat Witcher 2. Overall the game was amazing. I was reading in an interview that at the end you get a summary of the decisions you made during the course of the game. I didn't see this so maybe I missed it? I skipped through the credits so maybe it was at the end? Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

No, there is no summary. Unless they are referring to the Dandelion-written stuff in the quest journal.

Salaadin

Infinite_Daremo said:
I just got the new patch so I thought I'd try another run-through. The spec tool now sets all settings to low even though I can run it at high at 60fps and it keeps stalling at the dice game? I can select the dice I wanna re roll but I can't re roll?

Anyone else getting this? I'm not so bothered about the spec tool but that hang is irritating.

The spec tool has always been funky...even after they supposedly fixed it. I just start with everything maxed out and then scale back to get my FPS where I want them.

I havent played dice yet in 2.0 but ill post back when I get there and see if I have any issues.

EDIT: Is this your problem?
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/inde...-completely-broken-for-me-in-20-with-360-pad/

Is there anything more satisfying than
slicing those bandits after one called Triss a cunt? God it felt good!
I am really impressed by just how much they've made me care about Triss - you'd have to be a heartless bastard to not be invested in her and Geralt's relationship. I feel that the sex scenes are completely justified in this game.

So I've just go the point where
we've picked the rose in an attempt to get my memory back
and I'm just absolutely loving it. Miles ahead of the original, easily. There's literally nothing that was better in the first game.

Salaadin

Foliorum Viridum said:
I am really impressed by just how much they've made me care about Triss - you'd have to be a heartless bastard to not be invested in her and Geralt's relationship. I feel that the sex scenes are completely justified in this game.

and I'm just absolutely loving it. Miles ahead of the original, easily. There's literally nothing that was better in the first game.

Agreed. Its one of the most improved sequels Ive ever played.

Chinner said:
triss is my true waifu

You stay away from her. Shes mine!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So around my friends house we decided to do Arena and it's crazy how much of a demi-god you become when you get your Quen to its max level and then focus on your combat tree. We did all 30 unique waves, and seeing it was repeating again for infinity, decided to leave it there. Arena was fucking awesome though.

-GOUKI-

For the 2.0 patch, im confused by the instructions. If you haven't updated once, do you have to install 1.2 and 1.3 before the 2.0 patch?

Skilletor

Foliorum Viridum said:

Dude, fuck yes. I just passed that part. I was like YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS ARE DEAD!

Wallach

-GOUKI- said:

You have to manually update to 1.3 if you're not on Steam. I believe the official site has a patch that goes directly to 1.3. Once you do that the launcher will auto-update from there (first to 1.35 then to 2.0).

Skilletor

-GOUKI- said:

lol. You posted 10 minutes ago. give it some time.

I don't know the answer and there has only been one other post aside from mine in the thread. :p

Try googling it if you're so impatient.

-GOUKI-

Wallach said:
You have to manually update to 1.3 if you're not on Steam. I believe the official site has a patch that goes directly to 1.3. Once you do that the launcher will auto-update from there (first to 1.35 then to 2.0).

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom