• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I turned uber off and disabled vsync, at 50fps automatically with no noticeable tearing compared to the 11 fps I was getting with uber. Will mess with AA and take a few more.

Please bare in mind that I'm trying to play the game and take screens. I'm not trying to make the game look it's best necessarily but just tweaking some options.

Zeliard

MrOogieBoogie said:
I don't get it... Why are some people saying the GOG version is up for complete download while others are saying to wait a couple more hours?

What's going on?

It's been available for preload for a while on GOG, so people have downloaded the whole thing (save for like the last 120 megs). It just isn't unlocked for another, let's see, 1 hour 30 minutes.

Van Buren

LiquidMetal14 said:
I turned uber off and disabled vsync, at 50fps automatically with no noticeable tearing compared to the 11 fps I was getting with uber.

Nice, wonder what kind of a rig will be needed to pull off 30 fps with Uber and 3D vision/Eyefinity.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Zeliard said:
It's been available for preload for a while on GOG, so people have downloaded the whole thing (save for like the last 120 megs). It just isn't unlocked for another, let's see, 1 hour 30 minutes.

That's what I figured. I already downloaded the 9.6 gigs. Just gotta wait for that last bit.

elwes

Zeliard said:

I thought it was going to be unlocked in thirty minutes? The website said 3AM EDT, which translates to 1AM CST. 27 minutes by my clock.

Nekrono

LiquidMetal14 said:
Outside of this this first area, I was getting about 40fps with uber on. Back in a few.
Liquid what res are you playing on? 1360x768 or are you downsampling?

Seems like ~40 FPS for that res (assuming you are playing at that) and on uber mode could be a bit worrying for people with higher res (especially with your hardware)... let alone 1080p or higher.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm pretty sure that we locked it down at 3AM EST which is 90 minutes from now.

goddamit how come that seems so far away

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
99% of players will not be using ubersampling, and most wont need to. Only turn it on if you've got an absolutely cutting edge PC monster.

Zeliard

elwes said:
I thought it was going to be unlocked in thirty minutes? The website said 3AM EDT, which translates to 1AM CST. 27 minutes by my clock.

3 AM EDT is 2 AM CST, 1 AM Mountain time, 12 AM Pacific

LiquidMetal14

2500k @4.5ghz
8GB ram
Radeon 6950 to 6970

Uber destroys performance at any res. Best have SLI or some future card to try and make it work. It looks fantastic minus the uber though.

knitoe

luxarific said:
Heh, my D2D preorder is now downloading, even though it's only 1:30 AM here on the East Coast. :D
The link hasn't appear for my on D2D. Can you PM the link so I can start downloading it asap before the key becomes available?

Chiggs

Gold Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
2500k @4.5ghz
8GB ram
Radeon 6950 to 6970

Uber destroys performance at any res. Best have SLI or some future card to try and make it work. It looks fantastic minus the uber though.

How's the gamepad working?

zlatko

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm pretty sure that we locked it down at 3AM EST which is 90 minutes from now.

goddamit how come that seems so far away

The game is how many gigs? What's the usual track record for Steam once games go up like this and everyone starts downloading?

1299497023.png

I'm working with this and I'm not sure how fast it'll be.

Nekrono

Soo... seems like most people could get away with "High" then... and those with more recent hardware will be just fine on "Ultra", seems reasonable.

Also seems like if you want Uber you need some fucking uber video card in the $700-600 range or SLI/Crossfire with decent cards.

Narag

Nekrono said:
Soo... seems like most people could get away with "High" then... and those with more recent hardware will be just fine on "Ultra", seems reasonable.

Also seems like if you want Uber you need some fucking uber video card in the $700-600 range or SLI/Crossfire with decent cards.

Devs said it was for those people with the best possible cpu/gpu currently.

As you'd expect, it's a high end option: "The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings)." The developer says this is intended only for those with both the best possible CPU and GPU available now (X4 980 / i7 980X and 6990 / 590).

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16447-the-witcher-2-readme-reveals-uber-sampling-mode-more-options/

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiquidMetal14 said:
2500k @4.5ghz
8GB ram
Radeon 6950 to 6970

This is what I expected. Benchmarks said as much. I'll stick to Ultra.

LiquidMetal14

Gamepad works great for me. Even while emulating a 360 with a DS3 via motionjoy. I think I may stick with the pad for now after getting my bearings.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
knitoe said:
The link hasn't appear for my on D2D. Can you PM the link so I can start downloading it asap before the key becomes available?

I can't - I downloaded the Gamespy Comrade applet thingy to see if it might be listed and available for downloading there and it was (it doesn't appear on my D2D account page as available for downloading yet). So I'd give that a try. The Download Manager might work too, but I don't have that installed, just the Comrade thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I intend to play the game through with my 360 controller, so please do keep posting your thoughts. Everything is sounding pretty positive so far!

Narag

Nekrono said:
Yeah I know :p ... "Uber sampling mode" seems like a fitting name.

Looks gorgeous and makes me wish I could run it like that but High and Ultra are more than enough.

Like Crysis, I just see it as something to look forward to down the road.

Nekrono

LiquidMetal14 said:
Gamepad works great for me. Even while emulating a 360 with a DS3 via motionjoy. I think I may stick with the pad for now after getting my bearings.
I know it's early and you are busy with benchmarks/screenshots, but when you have the time and have played a bit more I'd like to know what feels better for combat, moving, etc... K&M or controller?

Narag said:
Like Crysis, I just see it as something to look forward to down the road.
Yeah you are right, it was about time we got a game that could serve as a "benchmark" for future hardware that looks amazing, etc.

Man we really have received just about EVERYTHING we could have wanted/hoped from these guys!.

CD PROJEKT! <3.

LiquidMetal14

Regarding the movement and the combat, feels a little better in this one. Maybe it's cause I'm playing it with a pad but the movements seems tighter and not as clunky. That's what I gather so far. It's hard though lol

I can't get past this first area on normal.

ummm soooo liquid do you see the option to invert the mouse/controller? I see no option at all. I seriously can't play with a gamepad without inverted controls.

Zeliard

The artbook seems awesome. 196 pages. I'm looking forward to that unlocking almost as much as the actual game. :p The soundtrack too.

Hawk269

Usually when Nvida and AMD release new drivers we seee improvements in framerate, especially for high profile games. So I hope this game does some serious sales as this will get the graphics card manufactures to work on improving driver support for this game.

To those that have the game, thanks for all the feedback so far. Still wanting to hear more control pad impressions...how are the menu's navigated with teh controller?

Thanks again guys!

RedSwirl

Crap. Just checked the Wiki and I'm not even close to finishing Chapter IV of TW1. Going to bed now. I'll try to finish that shit first thing in the morning.

Narag

Omi said:
Also...why are so many people playing with pads? :s

I am thinking this is not the thread for me.

Game was designed with proper pad support in mind so some are giving it a shot.

elwes

Zeliard said:
3 AM EDT is 2 AM CST, 1 AM Mountain time, 12 AM Pacific

Dammit, Google has failed me multiple times tonight. I've clicked on at least 3 links that have told me that CST is 2 hours ahead of EDT.

I wanna play Witcher. :(

Nekrono

Omi said:
I know what you mean and where you're coming from, but for me at least I just go with what is more fitting and feels better (not with FPS though those are strictly K&M).

Recently I played Mafia 2 on PC and I tried both and even though it played beautifully with K&M I just went ahead with my PS3 controller, the gameplay and the game itself is more "inviting" to controllers.

I'll definitely try both with The Witcher 2 and just pick the one that feels better for the game to me.

Zeliard

Omi said:

Now now, it's not like they're using it for a shooter. Like those freaks who play Crysis 2 with a gamepad. ;)

thetrin

Omi said:
Just because an option is there, doesn't make it the correct decision.
The game has been demoed on multiple occasions with a gamepad. I'm curious to see how viable it is.

Hawk269

BigBlackGamer said:
6z1m2q.jpg

took a quick pick of the menu screen. I'm seriously disappointed by the lack of inverted controls. It's fucking 2011.

Thanks for posting that. I am pretty shocked that there is no option to invert the controller. Sounds kind of like an odd thing to leave out. Hopefully they can patch that in easily.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Omi said:

Because I can sit on my comfy couch and play a badass game on my giant television which is hooked up to my beastly HTPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom