• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Finally playing Hearts of Stone. Feels so good to come back to this world.

For some reason, when I finish the main quests in open world games, I have a hard time continuing to work on side quests. But since starting Hearts of Stone, I can now go back and pick up all those leftover Witcher Contracts I had!

mitchman

Gold Member
I wish I could finished Skellig's most wanted,
but it bugged out after I killed the wolf
and it's still bugged when I try it now. I also can't finished the gwent mission as I think the freed blacksmith has the last card and
he just sits around grieving in that town where all the elders got killed in one of the quests and can't be talked to.

Lunar15

I really enjoyed Hearts of Stone because I was getting to that point where the afterglow of my experience with the main game had died down over the months and I was beginning to wonder if I was just living in the hype or if the game really had the chops. The expansion reminded me that it really is a supremely well made game that hits all of my buttons. Dialogue, pacing, characters, storytelling, unique scenarios, even combat, all awesome.

I think it's unfairly going to get thrown up against Fallout this year, and while I think Fallout is the game that more people actually want when they think WRPG, what with tons of options, crafting, and the ability to be anything you want to be, this is exactly the story-focused, linear-but-not, experience I want out of a finely crafted WRPG. It's honestly far closer to GTA or Red Dead than one of Bethesda's games, and I'd argue it's way better than those games when it comes to my personal taste, but you're just not going to get that comparison.

illusionary

I wish I could finished Skellig's most wanted,
but it bugged out after I killed the wolf
and it's still bugged when I try it now. I also can't finished the gwent mission as I think the freed blacksmith has the last card and
he just sits around grieving in that town where all the elders got killed in one of the quests and can't be talked to.

Is your game fully patched? Skellige's Most Wanted should be fixed as of v1.10 - certainly it was for me..

mitchman

Gold Member
Is your game fully patched? Skellige's Most Wanted should be fixed as of v1.10 - certainly it was for me..

It's not. Werewolf is still bugged for me (I saved after I started fighting him) and can't be attacked or killed.

Yes, this is the problem I have. The save has the wolf already bugged. The real fix would be to reset the quest if it's already in progress so it's possible to get the fixed path.

Hey guys, I'm about 5 hours in on the Xbox One, and while I absolutely love the game and want to keep going, the load times after dying are almost too much to take. It feels like over a minute from death to loading a save point. And part of the problem is that I die a lot, though that's probably because I'm underleveled.

Do you think it would be worth starting over on the PC? Or can I die less simply by doing more side quests?

YoungFa

Hey guys, I'm about 5 hours in on the Xbox One, and while I absolutely love the game and want to keep going, the load times after dying are almost too much to take. It feels like over a minute from death to loading a save point. And part of the problem is that I die a lot, though that's probably because I'm underleveled.

Do you think it would be worth starting over on the PC? Or can I die less simply by doing more side quests?

Set the difficulty lower for the beginning. And once you feel too powerful set it up higher again.

So quick question before going to Isle
of Mist. It feels like I'm coming to the end of the story, will I still have a chance to do sidequests later? The Isle of Mist story quest is level 22, and everything else I've got is lvl 27+, so it feels like I should do it later but this game can get kinda screwy and recommended level ranges.

zer0das

Banned
So quick question before going to Isle
of Mist. It feels like I'm coming to the end of the story, will I still have a chance to do sidequests later? The Isle of Mist story quest is level 22, and everything else I've got is lvl 27+, so it feels like I should do it later but this game can get kinda screwy and recommended level ranges.

Yes, you can do other side quests after this. A few might fail though- Reason of State, and a few more obscure ones. I'd just advance, see if you fail anything, and then decide from there.

luoapp

If you have an SSD in your PC and you can get it cheap ( probably offsetting by selling the xbox copy), yes.

BraXzy

Just a heads up anyone who doesn't own this, the game on X1 and PS4 is £21.99 at Base.com. Might buy it for my brother.

If you have an SSD in your PC and you can get it cheap ( probably offsetting by selling the xbox copy), yes.

Thanks, I purchased the PC version, and it runs like a dream on my ssd. I was worried my i3 2100 would be too old, but it runs much, much better than it did on the Xbox One.

Coreda

Not sure what the console load times are but using an SSD I find it averages about 10-15 seconds for a full load or following a You Died screen and near instant for fast traveling within the same region.

Edit:

Thanks, I purchased the PC version, and it runs like a dream on my ssd. I was worried my i3 2100 would be too old, but it runs much, much better than it did on the Xbox One.

Great!

BraXzy

This is getting frustrating. Loading most recent save keeps causing a crash for me :/

Also, does guarded treasure loot scale to your current level?

I just managed to sneak two guarded treasures, both fairly close to each other. I'm level 11, in one I got boots for my level, the other gave me some average glyphs and mats. The things guarding them were level 17 and 19?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
lawd, this game serves terrible first impression. does it get better after the elf dungeon which is basically just a crappy boss rush mode?

Heel

Wow, I tried jumping back in to finish this game on PS4 after all the patches. What the hell is going on with this game? I don't remember it being this bad at launch. Have the loading times gotten longer?

Outside of that, just a ton of random glitches:

-Entire objects loading in after camera switches during cut scenes (piles of logs, a character's hair, etc.),
-Detailed textures loading in even slower than that during cut scenes.
-I drank from an invisible shot glass, saw a person standing 2 feet off the ground, and saw the background of a scene turn into a stringy blue blur due to rain effects.
-An NPC's pathing was incorrect causing them to run against a wall 2 feet to the left of a door, leaving me unable to progress the quest without restarting.
-Just a ton of random clipping during cut scenes, including a point where it zoomed in on a characters eye to blink back to a past event and half her eyelashes were missing...lol.

This is within 5 quests or so.

Not here to bash the game and dip away, but seriously disappointed in what I'd consider to be a solid game pretty well ruined by slew of technical problems. You'd really have to look past a lot, at least on console, to appreciate it as anything close to game of the year material.

Surprised there hasn't been more of an outcry, unless I've missed something outside of complaints in the patch threads. I've stopped following them some months ago...

Wow, I tried jumping back in to finish this game on PS4 after all the patches. What the hell is going on with this game? I don't remember it being this bad at launch. Have the loading times gotten longer?

Outside of that, just a ton of random glitches:

-Entire objects loading in after camera switches during cut scenes (piles of logs, a character's hair, etc.),
-Detailed textures loading in even slower than that during cut scenes.
-I drank from an invisible shot glass, saw a person standing 2 feet off the ground, and saw the background of a scene turn into a stringy blue blur due to rain effects.
-An NPC's pathing was incorrect causing them to run against a wall 2 feet to the left of a door, leaving me unable to progress the quest without restarting.
-Just a ton of random clipping during cut scenes, including a point where it zoomed in on a characters eye to blink back to a past event and half her eyelashes were missing...lol.

This is within 5 quests or so.

Not here to bash the game and dip away, but seriously disappointed in what I'd consider to be a solid game pretty well ruined by slew of technical problems. You'd really have to look past a lot, at least on console, to appreciate it as anything close to game of the year material.

Surprised there hasn't been more of an outcry, unless I've missed something outside of complaints in the patch threads. I've stopped following them some months ago...

As I have seen, PS4 players seem to say most of the problems have been fixed. One of the thing which was highly recommended to fix those texture problems is to rebuild the database, try that maybe?

Greddleok

lawd, this game serves terrible first impression. does it get better after the elf dungeon which is basically just a crappy boss rush mode?

That's a low point. It continues to get better right up until the final act where it becomes a bit of a chore.
Finding Ciri and defending her in the last battle was great, but then having to go back into the open world and do what felt like busy work just ruined the end for me.

Anyway, I came here to say how much I'm loving Hearts of Stone. The game still has its problems, but HoS really pulled me back in. Loving it so far.

Looking for some advice about armor before I hop back in with Hearts of Stone. When I played the main game, I just wore a hodge podge of whatever gear had the best stats. What can I do better? If I remember correctly, I should get a set of Witcher gear and level it up. Yay? Nay? Suggestions and specific set recommendations welcome. No idea what level I am, though I did finish the main game on Normal without much difficulty.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I was just looking at that image further up the page of the voice actor of Geralt. Did CDPR base Geralt on him? He kinda resembles Geralt a little. I mean the guys bald and that but the facial features look kinda the same. I don't think they completely based it on him but maybe it helped with motion capture or something? I don't know.

Just wondering!

I was just looking at that image further up the page of the voice actor of Geralt. Did CDPR base Geralt on him? He kinda resembles Geralt a little. I mean the guys bald and that but the facial features look kinda the same. I don't think they completely based it on him but maybe it helped with motion capture or something? I don't know.

Just wondering!
No, not at all. Your mind is playing tricks on you cause of the glasses and goatee covering his face. He looks nothing like Geralt. He'd make a pretty decent towns person npc though.
dougcockle1.png

Also, English isn't their primary language, so they probably wouldn't use the English actor if they had done facial capture. Although they're technically both done simultaneously with equal importance, they write mostly in their native Polish and have in house English writers rewrite it as they go along. They don't do facial capture because of the vast amount of recorded language options they provide. It lip syncs to whatever language is being played. Stunt people do most of the mocap.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Looking for some advice about armor before I hop back in with Hearts of Stone. When I played the main game, I just wore a hodge podge of whatever gear had the best stats. What can I do better? If I remember correctly, I should get a set of Witcher gear and level it up. Yay? Nay? Suggestions and specific set recommendations welcome. No idea what level I am, though I did finish the main game on Normal without much difficulty.

Depends on your playstyle.

Wanna play a light-armor Geralt with more critical hits/better fast attack damage/faster stamina regeneration? You should go with Cat armor

Wanna play a tank-Geralt (Higher armor resistance and better strong attack DPS)? Bear armor is an excellent option

I could go on, but its up to you.

And in regards to upgrading your Witcher sets, you need to be at an appropriate level before upgrading them. Aside from that, yes, upgrading your Witcher sets is always better as it gives you better stats overall

Depends on your playstyle.

Wanna play a light-armor Geralt with more critical hits/better fast attack damage/faster stamina regeneration? You should go with Cat armor

Wanna play a tank-Geralt (Higher armor resistance and better strong attack DPS)? Bear armor is an excellent option

I could go on, but its up to you.

And in regards to upgrading your Witcher sets, you need to be at an appropriate level before upgrading them. Aside from that, yes, upgrading your Witcher sets is always better as it gives you better stats overall

Thank you!

KingV

Just booted up the PCto get started o. hearts of stone, and the crashing was unbearable. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. I think I had 5 crashes to desktop in an hour of play. Finally had to turn it off in frustration.

Is there a definite way to fix these crashes yet?

Just booted up the PCto get started o. hearts of stone, and the crashing was unbearable. In fact, it seems to have gotten worse. I think I had 5 crashes to desktop in an hour of play. Finally had to turn it off in frustration.

Is there a definite way to fix these crashes yet?
That is not right. Do you overclock or do anything with your system?

KingV

That is not right. Do you overclock or do anything with your system?

No, I actually under clocked my GPU because I have heard it helps.

I'm in borderless windowed and framerate capped at 60 ingame

I'm not sure if there is a specific setting that makes the crashes more likely.

I beat the game fine around 1.06, but it really seems to be struggling in the sewer section on the first quest in HOS.

Edit: crashes definitely seem to be triggered by cutscenes.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
does anyone else find the combat in this game really hard? i keep expecting the roll to have invincibility frames a la dark souls but it doesn't and then i get bumrushed by like seven monsters and killed.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just beat HoS and cleared out all the quests therein.

Time to uninstall this game until June :)

does anyone else find the combat in this game really hard? i keep expecting the roll to have invincibility frames a la dark souls but it doesn't and then i get bumrushed by like seven monsters and killed.

Use your signs, oils, and potions. Upgrade your fast attack too. Once you unlock combos you get more competent.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
smh, so i started 'return to croockback bog', but because my weapons were busted i told the bloody baron i needed time to prepare. he tells me he'll meet me at the bog, but then i get a message saying i failed and the 'failed quest' section says i never met the baron again? tha fuck? that was a bit of a misleading dialogue choice. or a bug i guess.

No, I actually under clocked my GPU because I have heard it helps.

I'm in borderless windowed and framerate capped at 60 ingame

I'm not sure if there is a specific setting that makes the crashes more likely.

I beat the game fine around 1.06, but it really seems to be struggling in the sewer section on the first quest in HOS.

Edit: crashes definitely seem to be triggered by cutscenes.

I have observed that for some reason borderless mode cause the game to crash more often than fullscreen and cripples the overall performance for a lot of people.

So, I suggest you try the following things.

- Verify game files, this seems to fix a lot of things.
- Use fullscreen
- Do not cap frames using in game method
- Use RTSS to cap frames instead

smh, so i started 'return to croockback bog', but because my weapons were busted i told the bloody baron i needed time to prepare. he tells me he'll meet me at the bog, but then i get a message saying i failed and the 'failed quest' section says i never met the baron again? tha fuck? that was a bit of a misleading dialogue choice. or a bug i guess.

That sounds like a bug, I chose to meet him later in one of my playthrough and it was fine.

KingV

I have observed that for some reason borderless mode cause the game to crash more often than fullscreen and cripples the overall performance for a lot of people.

So, I suggest you try the following things.

- Verify game files, this seems to fix a lot of things.
- Use fullscreen
- Do not cap frames using in game method
- Use RTSS to cap frames instead

That sounds like a bug, I chose to meet him later in one of my playthrough and it was fine.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

dresi

Finished the main story today. Man, what a game. Easily GOTY for me. I'm pretty depressed even though I got the
Ciri as a witcher ending and I love happy endings. I shed a tear when Ciri went to fight the white frost and the flashback popped out with all those great moments. I thought she is really dead for a while. I'm just bummed the story is over. Would love more stories with Ciri, Yen and co.

I know there are DLCs but it just won't be the same.

I'm just picking this back up after a long layoff. Can anyone give me advice on the best swords that I should be trying to craft at lvl 14 up to Novigrad post patch? Right now I'm rocking Forgotten Vran Sword and Addan Deith (pre patch versions if that matters).

JustinBB7

Finished the main story today. Man, what a game. Easily GOTY for me. I'm pretty depressed even though I got the
Ciri as a witcher ending and I love happy endings. I shed a tear when Ciri went to fight the white frost and the flashback popped out with all those great moments. I thought she is really dead for a while. I'm just bummed the story is over. Would love more stories with Ciri, Yen and co.

I know there are DLCs but it just won't be the same.

Just wait till you actually play the DLC. Heart Of Stone is amazing.

Donos

Just wait till you actually play the DLC. Heart Of Stone is amazing.

REally wanted to wait till heart of stone/blood and wine dlc combo but just read that B&W is first half 2016 ..., that could be june and every time i see W3 screens in the console thread i have the urge to get back into the world.

Denton

10 Witcher facts, cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jia9UAUsLug

SSX of Rivia minigame :D

Those swedish pronounciations tho'

REally wanted to wait till heart of stone/blood and wine dlc combo but just read that B&W is first half 2016 ..., that could be june and every time i see W3 screens in the console thread i have the urge to get back into the world.

Had the same plan, but could not resist. Glad I played HoS already, I will replay it along with the whole game once Blood and Wine comes out.

RPG

Does Vimme Vivaldi not show up until a certain point? I'm trying to start the Gwent quest associated with Novigrad and cannot locate him. Found the bank, meditated through all hours of the day and nothing. I'm in the middle of the Novigrad quest line and assumed he would be there (for money exchanges) but can't find him and haven't been introduced to him beyond the Gwent quest telling me to play him.

Top Bottom